Saikano \ She, The Ultimate Weapon

Asirt 06-22-2004 07:23 PM

I have been looking to see who have either seen the anime or have read the manga. I have heard mixed reviews about Saikano, and am wondering if it is worth watching or reading. As there is no thread on this series, it can also be a place to talk about it. Thanks in advance. It seems like a good series to watch.
jonnycooj 06-23-2004 05:58 AM
I’m wondering the same thing, I’m scared to buy the DVD. It’s highly ranked at AnimeNfo but there are mixed reviews there as well.
Dork 06-23-2004 06:42 AM
I look at th DVD everytime I go to Best Buy but I don't know enough to buy it.
Asirt 06-23-2004 10:17 AM
From reading infomation and reviews, the story covers two lovers (Chise and Shuuji) who are inseperable. They live a happy life with friends and be with each other. But then one day, the army (I believe) kidnaps Chise and is used to become a weapon of war. This is where the story starts to become sad. Now that she is a machine, how can she love a human?

So far, it looks like it could be a good anime to watch. I'm not sure how long it is, and since it is made by GONZO (They haven't failed me with a bad anime yet), I may look into this in the future.
das_wanderen 06-23-2004 10:50 AM
While i have never actually seen the movie, it has gotten very good reviews. I plan on buying it soon actually, as soon as i get my paycheck. Also the title really translates more closely to "My Girlfriend: The Ultimate Weapon." or so I've heard.
Asirt 06-23-2004 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if it's a movie or not (heard it was a series). Yes, I have heard it also as My Girlfriend, the Ultimate Weapon, but if you look at the DVD scan I posted eariler, it says "She". Good to hear that you will be buying it soon. Big Grin
Green_Bird 06-23-2004 01:25 PM
I was thinking about geting the manga.....the animé looks interesting from what I read. But still....I'll read the manga first so I can get the feel of it....and more on what it's about.
Asirt 06-23-2004 05:54 PM
Basically, the anime is licensed by VIZ and contains 13 episodes. As of now, only the first DVD has come out. Sometime by November, all the episodes will be released. Recommended for teens. It seems to be popular in Japan, however that is uncertain.

The manga has 7 volumes and is more for mature audiences. However, the last volume will not come out until December of 2005. The website contains a trailer if you want to see it in action.
kidistight 06-23-2004 08:46 PM
I am interested in that anime, I like what I hear/see regarding the anime.
Asirt 06-23-2004 08:48 PM
Glad to hear that you're interested! Big Grin Hopefully I will be able to find even more information regarding Saikano soon.
Asirt 06-23-2004 10:34 PM
This time, there is information regarding the characters, again from the same source, so here we go.

Chise: Shy girl, girlfriend of Shuji, gets captured by the military and is now a weapon of destruction.

Shuji: Quiet, nervous, and somewhat cold guy (perhaps that's why I never see him happy), boyfriend of Chise, and is beginning to realize what the true meaning of love is.
The Fallen Phoenix 06-23-2004 11:03 PM
I've heard some very, very good things about this anime from a friend of mine who I hold to be the local authority on anime. Tongue Actually, I've been hoping to get a hold of it ever since he recommended it to me over a year ago; it seems I'll finally get the chance. Big Grin
Asirt 06-23-2004 11:08 PM
Good to hear that you will be getting it soon. I want to get the series as well. However, it's currently in the low priority section, as my current goal right now is getting the AIR DVD's.
IanC 06-24-2004 10:16 AM
Ill be getting it when it comes out in australia Smile
(prefer the name there using for the aus version, She, The Ultimate Weapon)
Asirt 06-24-2004 10:38 AM
Yes, I seem to like the name "She, The Ultimate Weapon" better than Saikano. I wonder why VIZ decided to change the name of that show.
IanC 06-24-2004 05:05 PM
oh looks nice
Shame that the game wil never come out any where other than japan, just like all the other games like that (anime games i mean)

Megami Magazine, each month it has a section packed with games like that, they all look so cool Smile
Asirt 06-24-2004 08:18 PM
There is now a complete collection of this series if you wish to get it. However, it seems that the number of discs have reduced. This is similar to what ADV Films is doing with their complete collection DVD's.
seraphjei 04-15-2007 11:09 PM
I just recently finished this show, and god damn is it sad.I have never to this day seen an anime that has ripped out my heart and stomped it to the ground while pissing on the remains. It is just so heart wrenching, I would recommend this anime to anyone who has an emotional foothold, otherwise you just might crack from the strain of constantly crying.

As of yet, this is the single saddest anime I have watched. This ranks up there with Grave of Fireflies.
Nine Kuze 04-22-2007 04:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
This ranks up there with Grave of Fireflies.

I was walking around campus a couple of days ago and I started a conversation with two random people talking about animated shows. They were talking about Cowboy Bebop and this Grave of the Fireflies thing. I just said I "heard about it before" and the girl was talking about how she was "balling her eyes out" after watching Grave of the Fireflies. I never understood how anyone could cry from watching anything since I don't put emotional attachments to anything I watch but yeah, I heard it was a f***ing sad series is what I'm trying to get at basically.

Also as far as Saikano goes, I remember watching a YouTube AMV of it. But to be honest, the only reason I did was because it was set to the theme of Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG's Torukia which I was looking for before I was able to download it. But watching the AMV, it looked to be a well animated and interesting series. So yeah.

EDIT: Also, found this other thread about Saikano as well.
Peace.