Mississippi tried to remove fraction from school system.

Zopwx2 06-21-2004 05:14 PM
This one is real! It comes from snopes!

http://snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

13 August 1999
Jackson, MS -- Bolstered by the state of Kansas' recent measure removing the requirement for the teaching of evolution in public schools, yesterday afternoon the Mississippi legislature passed a bill eliminating fractions and decimal points from the mathematics curriculum of all public secondary schools in the state.

"Despite the coincidental timing of the measure, this was no whim," asserted Mississippi state senator Cassius de Spain. "We'd had the issue under consideration for several months now."

The bill, which cleared the Mississippi Senate by a vote of "a lot" to "a little" (with "this many" senators abstaining) after some initial confusion over how many votes constitute a "majority," directs public secondary schools in Mississippi to emphasize whole number arithmetic in mathematics courses and orders the removal of questions involving non-integer mathematics from standardized state tests after 1999. The fate of percentages remains undetermined as educators attempt to work out an alternative scoring method for tests.

Judith Sutpen, chairperson of the Mississippi Senate Education committee, defended the legislature's action against charges that it was motivated by "controversial religious beliefs."

"This has absolutely nothing to do with religion," she told reporters at a press conference Friday morning. "We're simply seeking to make mathematics more accessible to schoolchildren by de-emphasizing the elements that so many of them find confusing. It makes no sense to try to train our students how to think logically, then present them with nonsensical concepts such as 'irrational' and 'imaginary' numbers."

Senate minority leader Cora Tull indicated that religion did play a part in the passage of the legislation, however, maintaining that "if cardinality is good enough for the Catholic church, it ought to be good enough for the children of the great state of Mississippi." She added that "'improper fractions' have no place in any respectable school system, public or private."

Freshman senator John Sartoris of Brookhaven elaborated on the reasons for his colleagues' support of the bill: "We're sick and tired of hearing about how everything in our culture, from art to entertainment to education, is aimed at the 'lowest common denominator' of society. We're took aggressive action to do something about it yesterday by eliminating that denominator."

School librarians expressed concern about whether they will be able to continue categorizing books according to the Dewey decimal system once the law goes into effect, but Jason Compson, chief librarian for the Greater Biloxi School District, opined that "anyone who couldn't beat that pinko Truman doesn't deserve a place of honor in our schools' libraries anyway."

Several senators indicated that an additional measure aimed at removing "irregular verbs" from English classes might be in the offing.
evanASF27 06-21-2004 05:21 PM
wow people are idiots.
Zopwx2 06-21-2004 05:24 PM
The article sounds incredibly fake, yet they say its true...

can we really trust snopes anymore?
BabyGhia 06-21-2004 05:30 PM
I really hope that isn't true. I mean, you can't bake or cook without fractions.. okay yes you can but.. come on. No fractions or demicals????

Strange.

BabyGhia
Zola 06-21-2004 05:39 PM
You know, I could see changing the age at which fractions are taught if it was discovered that a thirteen-year-old understood them more easily than a ten-year-old (or for that matter, a six-year-old faster than a ten-year-old), but I thought the emphasis was supposed to be on more education, not less?

This story by Isaac Asimov is moving frighteningly closer to reality by the day.
Sephiroth 06-21-2004 05:47 PM
Wow, that is perhaps the most amazing display of people's stupidity since the article I read in the Star about how bigfoot's baby appeared on Micheal Jacksons door step.

Note:
I do not subscribe to the Star. I merely leaf through it when I am waiting in line in Krogers. I do not believe anything written in it, but it is great for a laugh, no offense to those who trust it as a news source.
Lynnet 06-21-2004 05:58 PM
AHEM...

try the 'Additional Information' link

spoiler (highlight to read):
You've just had an enounter with False Authority Syndrome.

Everything in this section is a spoof. Mister Ed was no more a zebra than the origin of the nursery rhyme Sing a Song of Sixpence had anything to do with pirates on a recruiting drive. As for Mississippi's doing away with teaching fractions and decimals in its school systems because kids find them too hard to master, that's no more true than Kentucky's imposing a licensing fee on uses of its name, Edgar Rice Burroughs naming his celebrated apeman after the city he lived in (other way around, actually), George Bernard Shaw penning a poorly-attended play called Closed For Remodeling, passengers on the Titanic viewing a 1912 silent version of The Poseidon Adventure while their doomed ship was sinking out from under them, or the design of California's flag being the result of "pear" being taken for "bear."

...Barbara Mikkelson is my hero

(by the way, the Chernobyl biker chick was also a hoax...I can't find the page now)
NVWC2006 06-21-2004 06:00 PM
Reading that was a pointless waste of my time. I guess they got their job done.

Well, I guess they can't work with pi anymore. 22/7. That's a fraction. We better make it into some sort of whole number that everyone shall understand. Like i.
evanASF27 06-21-2004 06:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2

don't care if it's fake or not...that's really stupid. I mean, 1) who wants to makes jokes about Mississippi?! and 2) if it IS real, then boy am I glad I'm in New York! Tongue
Lynnet 06-21-2004 06:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
quote:

don't care if it's fake or not...that's really stupid. I mean, 1) who wants to makes jokes about Mississippi?! and 2) if it IS real, then boy am I glad I'm in New York! Tongue

Poor Schwartzwald is rolling in his grave right now.

And again link
Mr. Fortnight 06-21-2004 06:33 PM
You know, whoever bit on this should be ashamed of themselves.

Check your the sources before believing it!!! Damn.

This is why chain letters still pollute the internet! People still bite on them!
Zopwx2 06-21-2004 06:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnet
AHEM...

try the 'Additional Information' link

You've just had an enounter with False Authority Syndrome.

Everything in this section is a spoof. Mister Ed was no more a zebra than the origin of the nursery rhyme Sing a Song of Sixpence had anything to do with pirates on a recruiting drive. As for Mississippi's doing away with teaching fractions and decimals in its school systems because kids find them too hard to master, that's no more true than Kentucky's imposing a licensing fee on uses of its name, Edgar Rice Burroughs naming his celebrated apeman after the city he lived in (other way around, actually), George Bernard Shaw penning a poorly-attended play called Closed For Remodeling, passengers on the Titanic viewing a 1912 silent version of The Poseidon Adventure while their doomed ship was sinking out from under them, or the design of California's flag being the result of "pear" being taken for "bear."

...Barbara Mikkelson is my hero

(by the way, the Chernobyl biker chick was also a hoax...I can't find the page now)

I knew it, that article was way too fake sounding for me, I never thought that snopes would lie to me! those bastards!

Sadly, I actually clicked on that link before, but didn't read the whole thing.......
C.R Foxhound 06-21-2004 06:50 PM
And people think L.A people are crazy...

fractions suck anyway...

hell, math sucks anyway
Lynnet 06-21-2004 06:58 PM
quote:

I knew it, that article was way too fake sounding for me, I never thought that snopes would lie to me! those bastards!

Sadly, I actually clicked on that link before, but didn't read the whole thing.......

I thought it was really awesome the first time I hit one...excellent idea.

And don't feel bad, the Mikkelsons recently reported that the pirate nursery rhyme made it into another reference without being double-checked (...can't find that link either, I think I'm going crazy). T
Silv3rKnigh1 06-21-2004 07:57 PM
ahahah thats liek when congress tried to make pi = 3
IamRogerSmith 06-21-2004 10:15 PM
You mean this:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

(old link)

it's now:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

You sure thats a hoax?
Lynnet 06-21-2004 10:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IamRogerSmith
You mean this:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

You sure thats a hoax?

99% yes...if i could just find the darn link...

(1) she does really have her bike
(2) she did really go to Chernobyl

BUT...she did so as part of the van tours she mentioned in the first version of the site. She took her helmet along because it made her feel cool somehow. Shots of the bike itself were taken elsewhere.

This explains why she has authentic pictures of the site along with a functioning radiac, but totally bogus science to accompany them.

She got both the check point guards and the tour group in trouble with version 1 of the site, and has been backpeddaling how expilicit she makes her claim in this one.

EDIT- Several debunkers here: http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=8951
Can't find it on snopes at all for the life of me.
IamRogerSmith 06-22-2004 04:03 AM
Yeah, but anybody with chemistry/nuclear knowledge knew when she was BSing... I was more concerned if the pictures were actually from inside. I hardly see how this makes it a "hoax" its more of an "elaboration".
Zopwx2 06-22-2004 03:28 PM
I think its the same one from this thread: http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...eadid=5678&sid=
dominusofdeath 06-22-2004 05:13 PM
Damn rednecks messing math up!