[Question] Okay, I think somethings wrong with the forums

Benjamin 06-19-2004 09:29 PM
Yesterday I was soooooo extatic because I got up to 750 POSTS!

*Yay for me*

I told so many people over AIM,

NOW TODAY

I see I am down to two stars,

Is something wrong?
The Fallen Phoenix 06-19-2004 09:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MINION
Yesterday I was soooooo extatic because I got up to 750 POSTS!

*Yay for me*

I told so many people over AIM,

NOW TODAY

I see I am down to two stars,

Is something wrong?


You only have 748 posts...and the reason your post count might have gone down (presuming you did indeed have 750 posts) is because a moderator and/or an administrator may have deleted some of your posts.
Seraphim 06-19-2004 09:49 PM
Could this be related to the "Post Not Registering" phenomenon?
The Fallen Phoenix 06-19-2004 09:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Could this be related to the "Post Not Registering" phenomenon?


I doubt it, since the "Post Not Registering" apparently only makes it troublesome to either post your reply, or makes it troublesome to see the most recently posted reply. When the latter happens, my post count seems to be fine, so I don't think that's MINION's problem.

The most likely answer is that one of the moderators may have deleted some of his posts. It happens to just about everyone, and it's generally unnoticed (unless you happen to have a significant number of posts deleted).
Seraphim 06-19-2004 10:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Could this be related to the "Post Not Registering" phenomenon?


I doubt it, since the "Post Not Registering" apparently only makes it troublesome to either post your reply, or makes it troublesome to see the most recently posted reply. When the latter happens, my post count seems to be fine, so I don't think that's MINION's problem.

The most likely answer is that one of the moderators may have deleted some of his posts. It happens to just about everyone, and it's generally unnoticed (unless you happen to have a significant number of posts deleted).


On a somewhat related topic, don't you think it would be a good idea for a mod to tell you if he deleted a post of yours? A PM would do nicely. Something like

"Deleted your posts in x thread. Cut the spamming!"
evanASF27 06-19-2004 10:06 PM
no not really...because usually they don't want people to make a big deal out of it...but hey I'm just assuming ^^;;

Spam is usually deleted and people don't have any problems with it...cos it's SPAM! Roll Eyes But also, irrelevant, and rant/trolling/arguements can be deleted as well. But I don't think that was the case. Maybe a couple of off topic posts were deleted. I mean if it were only 3 posts it's not a big deal, 30 maybe...not really 3 Wink
Seraphim 06-19-2004 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
no not really...because usually they don't want people to make a big deal out of it...but hey I'm just assuming ^^;;

Spam is usually deleted and people don't have any problems with it...cos it's SPAM! Roll Eyes But also, irrelevant, and rant/trolling/arguements can be deleted as well. But I don't think that was the case. Maybe a couple of off topic posts were deleted. I mean if it were only 3 posts it's not a big deal, 30 maybe...not really 3 Wink


It's still nice to get a note if it happens.
Krang 06-19-2004 10:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
The most likely answer is that one of the moderators may have deleted some of his posts. It happens to just about everyone, and it's generally unnoticed (unless you happen to have a significant number of posts deleted).

I agree. I deleted two spam threads yesterday (one in The Speakeasy and one in the Smith Mansion), so if he posted in those, that may be why his post count went down.

quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
On a somewhat related topic, don't you think it would be a good idea for a mod to tell you if he deleted a post of yours? A PM would do nicely. Something like

"Deleted your posts in x thread. Cut the spamming!"

Sorry, but there's absolutely no way I would have time to do that for every post. However, if anyone is unsure why their post was deleted, feel free to ask me or the mods.
Seraphim 06-19-2004 10:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Sorry, but there's absolutely no way I would have time to do that for every post. However, if anyone is unsure why their post was deleted, feel free to ask me or the mods.


Now, this has got me wondering if there's a plugin of some sort that will auto-notify you if you had something deleted... *goes off to check*
Krang 06-19-2004 10:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Now, this has got me wondering if there's a plugin of some sort that will auto-notify you if you had something deleted... *goes off to check*

Then our site would get shut down since it would be sending an excessive amount of email. Tongue
Seraphim 06-19-2004 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Now, this has got me wondering if there's a plugin of some sort that will auto-notify you if you had something deleted... *goes off to check*

Then our site would get shut down since it would be sending an excessive amount of email. Tongue


Hahah. I didn't mean email, but more like a PM or something... Smile I can't find anything yet, but there's gotta be something out there like it.
The Fallen Phoenix 06-19-2004 10:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Now, this has got me wondering if there's a plugin of some sort that will auto-notify you if you had something deleted... *goes off to check*

Then our site would get shut down since it would be sending an excessive amount of email. Tongue


Hahah. I didn't mean email, but more like a PM or something... Smile I can't find anything yet, but there's gotta be something out there like it.


And then people's PM boxes would be overflowing with Private Messages...
Seraphim 06-19-2004 10:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
And then people's PM boxes would be overflowing with Private Messages...


If they spam to the point that their PM box is overflowing, then they deserve it... yet another downside to spamming.
evanASF27 06-19-2004 10:34 PM
well what if there are people like me that have nearly full PM boxes already from just liking to save PMs. I have 98% full already.

Sometimes sending notification isn't the best solution for everything.

Next you'll be saying send it via AIM or someting Roll Eyes *gets shot gun ready if you say that*
Seraphim 06-19-2004 10:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well what if there are people like me that have nearly full PM boxes already from just liking to save PMs. I have 98% full already.

Sometimes sending notification isn't the best solution for everything.

Next you'll be saying send it via AIM or someting Roll Eyes *gets shot gun ready if you say that*


Maybe a special "not counted" section of the PM box that will self-clean after a few days.

Now, you might joke about AIM, but if it was possible... I would definitely suggest it.
pen1300 06-20-2004 07:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well what if there are people like me that have nearly full PM boxes already from just liking to save PMs. I have 98% full already.

Sometimes sending notification isn't the best solution for everything.

Next you'll be saying send it via AIM or someting Roll Eyes *gets shot gun ready if you say that*


Maybe a special "not counted" section of the PM box that will self-clean after a few days.

Now, you might joke about AIM, but if it was possible... I would definitely suggest it.


You have to understand, not everyone checks their PM box daily. Yes, there is an option for having a seperate window warn you that you have a PM, but not everyone has that on. Also, not everyone is interested in getting a PM when their posts are deleted. Plus, some people may have a full PM box like Evan (I thought of you earlier when this started, Evan, why not save some of them to your harddrive or disk? OH! and clean out your Message Traking box. You don't have to keep those if you did that.)

Actually, we shouldn't be worrying about our post count. Not a lot of people pay attention to their post counts (not me anyway) and are surprised when they see a big number. If they loose it, usually people can figure out what happened.

Its more time consuming for us, and sometimes, we would never send them out. I mean, I had times when I could only check stuff for a half an hour, because that was all the time I could get, so I'm rushing. To send a PM or have a PM sent to every person whose post I deleted would have been very time consuming. (Think the 3 Word Story thread when it was in the Nightengale. Man, that would have been a mess if I had to do that on top of cleaning out four pages worth of stuff... Sweatdrop )

quote:
Originally Posted by Krang:
Sorry, but there's absolutely no way I would have time to do that for every post. However, if anyone is unsure why their post was deleted, feel free to ask me or the mods.

We're here to help and we don't bite. Wink

Later,
Pen1300
Kittie heavenly6 06-20-2004 08:14 AM
Well, Pen may not but I have been known to. Tongue
Benjamin 06-20-2004 02:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well what if there are people like me that have nearly full PM boxes already from just liking to save PMs. I have 98% full already.

Sometimes sending notification isn't the best solution for everything.

Next you'll be saying send it via AIM or someting Roll Eyes *gets shot gun ready if you say that*


Maybe a special "not counted" section of the PM box that will self-clean after a few days.

Now, you might joke about AIM, but if it was possible... I would definitely suggest it.


You have to understand, not everyone checks their PM box daily. Yes, there is an option for having a seperate window warn you that you have a PM, but not everyone has that on. Also, not everyone is interested in getting a PM when their posts are deleted. Plus, some people may have a full PM box like Evan (I thought of you earlier when this started, Evan, why not save some of them to your harddrive or disk? OH! and clean out your Message Traking box. You don't have to keep those if you did that.)

Actually, we shouldn't be worrying about our post count. Not a lot of people pay attention to their post counts (not me anyway) and are surprised when they see a big number. If they loose it, usually people can figure out what happened.

Its more time consuming for us, and sometimes, we would never send them out. I mean, I had times when I could only check stuff for a half an hour, because that was all the time I could get, so I'm rushing. To send a PM or have a PM sent to every person whose post I deleted would have been very time consuming. (Think the 3 Word Story thread when it was in the Nightengale. Man, that would have been a mess if I had to do that on top of cleaning out four pages worth of stuff... Sweatdrop )

quote:
Originally Posted by Krang:
Sorry, but there's absolutely no way I would have time to do that for every post. However, if anyone is unsure why their post was deleted, feel free to ask me or the mods.

We're here to help and we don't bite. Wink

Later,
Pen1300


I CHECK MY PM EVERYDAY

There is a wonderfull thing, a pop up, that tells me when I got a new pm,

I ALWAYS CHECK THEM Big Grin

I will hold you to your word WE ARE HERE TO HELP, WE DONT BITE,

If I wake up tommrow morning And My posts are missing, I will Pm every moderator for everywhere I posted.
evanASF27 06-20-2004 02:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
Also, not everyone is interested in getting a PM when their posts are deleted. Plus, some people may have a full PM box like Evan (I thought of you earlier when this started, Evan, why not save some of them to your harddrive or disk? OH! and clean out your Message Traking box. You don't have to keep those if you did that.)


THE TRACKING BOX O_o I forgot!! Thank you! ^^;;;
Hmm...I suppose I could save them in .doc filles...but...umm...O_o;; I have over 100 PMs I need to save o.o;;;

hmm...thanks Pen! ^_^;
dominusofdeath 06-20-2004 03:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
Also, not everyone is interested in getting a PM when their posts are deleted. Plus, some people may have a full PM box like Evan (I thought of you earlier when this started, Evan, why not save some of them to your harddrive or disk? OH! and clean out your Message Traking box. You don't have to keep those if you did that.)


THE TRACKING BOX O_o I forgot!! Thank you! ^^;;;
Hmm...I suppose I could save them in .doc filles...but...umm...O_o;; I have over 100 PMs I need to save o.o;;;

hmm...thanks Pen! ^_^;

I do it once a month. I save all my PMs to word documents just in case.