A Sad, Sad Day- One Piece Licensed by 4Kids!

Shredder 06-09-2004 01:04 AM
@$!@@**! This horrible news is true... I can only hope that the show bombs when it airs supposedly this Fall on FoxBox. What's sad is that part of what makes this show so great is that it's not just "for kids," it really does have an all-ages appeal with excellent characters and a unique world. To me, having seen almost 100 episodes of OP, it seems it will be hard to get far in the series, because there's a lot in this series as far as violence, smoking, drinking, and other various "adult" issues that will cause problems for them, but they'll probably just cut stuff out and change everything so someone unfamiliar with it won't be able to tell. Plus it's a very long series at almost 200 eps and still going strong in Japan, with more mature themes as it goes on.

There's a chance uncut DVDs will be released, since supposedly Funimation (who distributes DVDs for 4Kids) will be releasing them for Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King.
spoiler (highlight to read):
Still waiting for word on if it will continue to be fansubbed...

Sorry to rant but this really, really sucks. Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Krang, if you have anything to add, please do...(and thanks for the avatar...)
Krang 06-09-2004 01:12 AM
There's not much to say that Shredder hasn't already covered, but I still wish a better company such as ADV, Bandai, or Geneon would have gotten the license. That way, there would be a chance that One Piece wouldn't be marketed to kids only and stuck on the crappiest block on TV, the "FoxBox". In 4Kids's version, you can say goodbye to character development, background music, and the excellent OP/ED themes...
Mugiwara Luffy 06-09-2004 01:22 AM
Wow this is really horrible news. What we all feared has finally happened. I saw what 4kids did to Shaman King and now it's going to happen to One Piece?

This is just awful. Crying
R.Smith 06-09-2004 01:59 AM
While I haven't seen One Piece, I know how annoying it is for a great anime to get licensed by a "kiddy" company.

.....Strangely, none come to mind at the moment, but I'm sure you all can think of some...Embarrassed Sweatdrop
IamRogerSmith 06-09-2004 03:29 AM
By the way guys, I have heard tenatively on IRC that they will keep fansubbing it. Smile
Kittie heavenly6 06-09-2004 03:51 AM
THERE IS NO GOD!!!!!*

Okay, this officially sucks.

That's about All I have to say about it.

*Void in Iowa. Check your local listings.
Mr. Saturn 06-09-2004 04:38 AM
No....no....Sweet Jesus, tell me this is a joke.....please...I-I dont know what im going to do....One Piece is my all time favorite anime and to see it get butchered like that....No I wont. I refuse. Theres gotta be SOMETHING I can do about this.....
Wingnut 06-09-2004 10:19 AM
*gasps* Shocked
Oh no, oh no. Such a tragic fate to befall a popular anime series.
*begins playing taps on a bugle*
Barrin 06-09-2004 11:19 AM
Aw sh**! It'll become another Pokemon. No good can come of this. Guess I'm stuck reading the manga forever.
Tickle Tickle 06-09-2004 02:38 PM
Although I personally am not *in* to the show, I hate to see such a thing happen. Plus, I fear what will happend to poor Zoro!

T___T
MTN889 06-09-2004 02:48 PM
Get you and your friends to not watch it!
NukuNuko77 06-09-2004 03:17 PM
i recently began to like One Piece since i saw a fansubbed version of the 2nd movie at this years Animazement, but this is just the lowest 4Kids has gone (in terms of lisencing anime). besides they have a very poor editing and dubbing record to begin with. but i think Funi is going to release a uncut version though.
AlexRosewater 06-09-2004 03:37 PM
it's not the end of the world more Anime's where licensed this year than any other year.
Sunstorm 06-09-2004 03:52 PM
*nods* Although... it could have been waaaay worse. Like being licensed by the companies who did the Amercian versions of Transformers Armada and Energon. Those companies, who names I don't even want to udder, did a lovely job of taking great Japanese releases and slagging them too. Meh.

*weirdo signing off*
Blue Crow 06-09-2004 11:24 PM
Wow......that really sucks.One Piece is a pretty kick ass anime.I can only hope there will be uncut DVDs,because I won't even bother tuning in to the FoxBox.It would only lower my perception of this great show.

Anyone remember what Fox did to Escaflowne?They were so sensitive to it's content that they cut out half of both the first and second episode and fused them together to make one episode!(Not to mention the crappy time slot at about 5 AM) That's like pissing on the Mona Lisa. Mad And you thought bad dubbing was doing anime an injustice. Roll Eyes At least bandai was smart enough to realize that Fox screwed them over.They haven't given them another anime since.Pleased

Things could be worse,though.4Kids could have snagged the rights to Naruto.And if that happens,i'll be sure to mail the president of Fox's still beating heart to Masashi Kishimoto after I promptly remove it from his chest.Pleased

-BC
Patsai 06-10-2004 12:04 AM
NOOOOO!!!

They should have never done that! Fine, there WILL BE SOME BLOOD SMEARED TONIGHT. God, 4Kids is the worst dubbing company in the history of the universe! It makes the Speed Racer dubs seem like God! And One Piece was an awesome show!Someone hug me (and give me Zoro's katana). I feel like I'm going to cry (and kill some people) tonight.

But if 4Kids even raises a finger on Hikaru No Go, I WILL RAISE HELL ON THIS EARTH!!! I will!

Everyone, grab your torches and pitchforks! We have some chaos to raise.
CoCoaPuFF CatX 06-10-2004 12:28 AM
um..... this is no good *looks down and shakes head* O well this will be my first time to see it so i hope it just isn't completely ruined.. I'm a big fan of the manga
Shredder 06-10-2004 12:29 AM
You guys are great- thanks to everyone who's joined the protest! Big Grin
Now, if only there was something we could do to prevent the show from airing on that stupid ass Fox Box... Frown
NukuNuko77 06-10-2004 12:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
You guys are great- thanks to everyone who's joined the protest! Big Grin
Now, if only there was something we could do to prevent the show from airing on that stupid ass Fox Box... Frown

uh don't watch it?
Ano Hito 06-10-2004 12:19 PM
This is a disaster. Who wants to guess who Dan Green voices, anyone? How about ole Veronica? And what about the two other voice actors they have stabled. Hah.