A Sad, Sad Day- One Piece Licensed by 4Kids!

Wazpy 06-10-2004 12:34 PM
This is awful news...just terrible. One Piece is so cool...but lets be a little optimistic. TV has gotten less sensitive in the past few years. Maybe they won't cut it up that badly...
Shredder 06-10-2004 11:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NukuNuko77
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
You guys are great- thanks to everyone who's joined the protest! Big Grin
Now, if only there was something we could do to prevent the show from airing on that stupid ass Fox Box... Frown

uh don't watch it?

Well, it's not like the crappy FoxBox version will be my new way to watch One Piece- I'll continue to watch it subbed, if possible. I'm just disgusted that such a great show will be getting hacked up and it sucks that its reputation will likely be ruined, especially if it is successful with little kids and becomes the next "Pokemon" or "Yu Gi Oh" (although, OP doesn't have a game tie-in like those do, so hopefully it won't happen). What does my watching or not watching it have to do with anything?
Kittie heavenly6 06-11-2004 12:10 AM
I'm thinking there is a chance it will fail just because it doesn't have a game tie in. that's what kids these days like.
Benjamin 06-11-2004 11:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
You guys are great- thanks to everyone who's joined the protest! Big Grin
Now, if only there was something we could do to prevent the show from airing on that stupid ass Fox Box... Frown

*GRABS NUKE*

"3....2....1...."

*FOX BOX TOP HALF GONE*

"DANG, BRB, GOT TO GET ANOTHER NUKE"
Cool_Vash 06-13-2004 03:08 AM
To quote Keith "JC" Hayward from Japan Access, from Japan Hero, in the "Help Save One Piece, Do Your Part" thread:

quote:

Via my homie, Conekiller, he's posted up this handy dandy information in his signature over at ToonZone.

Help save One Piece so that it gets the decent, respectful, well deserved release here in America when it lands

quote:

4Kids has licenced One Piece!

Contact them and politely tell them you disagree with their anime handling policies (specifically mention One Piece)and add to the ensuing Fan Backlash.
Phone:
212-758-7666
E-mail:
cwest@4kidsent.com or sraboin@4kidsent.com
and Snail Mail:
148 Madison Avenue
16th Floor PH-1
New York, NY 10016

Say something positive about Uncut DVD releases & offer it as a possibility to resolve the One Piece problem.

Mr. Saturn 06-24-2004 02:26 AM
Well, I just finished watching the Dubbed One Piece Theme (A dubbed version of "We Are!~"). I must say, when I first saw this I thought "Well, they may not do as bad on One Piece as I thought". I went ahead and ignored the fact that Gold Roger had a steriotypical pirate accent and that Sanji was smoking a lolipop despite the fact that Smoker still had his cigar. It wasn't until the interview afterwards that I realized that damage that will be done....

Me at the beginning of the clip: "Well, 4Kids may actually pull a FUNimation and do all right on One Piece..."
4Kids V.P. on the clip: "....and One Piece will have its wonderful properties just as Pokemon and Yugioh! do....."
Me after hearing that: *Buries his face in his hands* "Oh, God, they're going to ruin it!"

Then again they didnt do too bad with the theme but Sanjis cig? No way, that cigarette is a BIG part of his character. They take that away and they take away part of his soul. Like someone on the Kaizoku-Fansubs forum said, they may as well give him a french accent (Attention anyone from 4Kids who may be reading this: Please for the love of God, PLEASE don't give him a french accent)

I have nothing else to say on this issue.....

Anyone who wants to see the dubbed theme and interview theres a link to it on the front page of www.gatv.tv/
IanC 06-24-2004 10:14 AM
I thought the dubbed theme sounds quite good.
'course they had to get rid of stuff like cigs, You know, cus its for the kids
Ano Hito 06-24-2004 10:41 AM
can I get a transcript of the interview?
NukuNuko77 06-24-2004 12:25 PM
that interview repersents all the hatred i have for 4Kids
Pie_Junkie 06-29-2004 11:07 PM
This BLOWS!
If One Piece is owned by 4Kids it will become all happy and flowers.
Unlike now with the stealing and the Yeah...
NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@#$#^%&&(^%#
    The Baker St. Irregular 12-06-2006 01:03 PM
    Well, kids. It's been fun, but...

quote:
    4Kids Cancels One Piece Production (2006-12-06 11:06:38)
    4Kids Marketing Director Roz Nowicki has confirmed that the company will not adapt additional episodes of One Piece. 4Kids has dubbed 104 episodes of the series into English, 78 of which have aired in the United States. Thanks, Daikun, Eric Appleman, and Mark Barbour. Source: Toon Zone

Anime News Network
    David Ryder 12-07-2006 12:43 AM
    Well I guess now the complaining will stop now that, 4 Kids is no longer going to dub/release any more episodes. Then again Toei is at fault for giving 4 kids the rights, whoops.
    Sara Comatori 12-07-2006 10:58 AM
    Is someone else going to pick it up? I hope. I wanna see Croc get his face bashed in in english.
    Green_Bird 12-08-2006 12:25 AM
    Even though I don't really care for One Piece there's still a few options here. Either Toei gets the rights back and find an ADR company, most likely Phuzz, to do the dubbing until someone gets the DVD rights (ala Bo-bobo). Or there is a possibility that Viz will get the rights to it being one of their properties anyway....

I come to these conclusions on what happened to pokemon when they dropped it. But even then Pokemon USA already had the rights to it before it was dropped. Not to mention there was a ton of info before hand of who was going to get it. That is not the case here. There has been no info as who who will get One Piece or if it will ever be picked up again for that matter....So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

4kids is totally going to go under. I mean think about it. They don't own Pokemon and One Piece anymore and Yu-Gi-Oh's been done for a long time. What's Left? they're butchered version of Tokyo Mew Mew and their version of TMNT? Personally I'm happy 4kids dropped a lot of anime. The era of insane edits has finally come to a close. But as a company...they're committing suicide.

Who knows maybe if they get better people to do the voices and leave it unedited DVD versions maybe I'll consider getting into the series more. I just couldn't take the whiny 4kids dub....
    David Ryder 12-08-2006 04:28 AM
    quote:
    Toei gets the rights back and find an ADR company, most likely Phuzz, to do the dubbing until someone gets the DVD rights (ala Bo-bobo).

This is most likely the best opition. Just hope they don't pull a Slam Dunk or Air Master i.e Slow/almost nonexsistant DVD release, awful dub, and dubtitles among other things.