Is R. Dorothy "fully functional"?

Astrogoth 05-21-2004 10:23 AM
Is our android able to have physical relations with a human?

Since it seems she like everything else is improving with each reset if she's too robotic now maybe a future Dorothy will be able to.
A Clockwork Tomato 05-21-2004 10:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Astrogoth

Dorothy believes she is. She as much as says so in THE GREATEST VILLAIN.
Barrin 05-21-2004 10:56 AM
So, what you are asking is if she is "anatomically correct?" Embarrassed Sweatdrop

Many androids were built to be humanoid, but have little refinement to look natural. When R. Dorothy is built, she is given very human appearence. Timothy Wayneright, her builder, was compared to a story of an emperor who liked the song of a mechanical bird. R. Dorothy is built to look like is late daughter. So, the determining quesion is this: Was she built as a mechanical bird, to sing and look pretty, or is she built as a sort of replacement dororthy, with all the possibilities that the origional had? If it's the first choice, then only the visiple parts are needed, and unless old Timmy intended her to sing in the nude, Shocked there's no need to give her a supple body. If it's the latter, then she's built to be as close to a lady as possible. She has feeling (though they often remain hidden), and to be as human as possible she would be built to enjoy certain human pleasures. Wink

I feel dirty now for some reason...
Dork 05-21-2004 11:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by Astrogoth

Dorothy believes she is. She as much as says so in THE GREATEST VILLAIN.

I have to agree with ACT. Writers are very careful about what they imply in a show like Big O. Dorothy's comment in act 18 was supose to be a clear indication to us that Dorothy is capable of that kind of relationship.

Season two, one by one, dismisses every logical arguement Roger (or a fan) could have against Roger and Dorothy getting together. Act 15 features a married human and android couple, in act 20 we see why Roger and Angel wouldn't work out (mainly, he isn't interesting in Angel like that), in act 21 we see that Dorothy being an android no longer bothers him, in acts 23-25 we see just how much Dorothy means to Roger (in act 25 Roger's personallity is numbed, his emotional responses aren't as sharp, like he's mourning someone's death), in act 25 Dorothy proves to Roger that she does have free-will and also Roger makes a. . . well, I don't want to spoil it for you but he says something he would only say if he were comfortable with the idea of the two of them in a romantic relationship.

Kinda went off on a tangent there, didn't I? Sorry Big Grin I tend to do that when it comes to Roger and Dorothy ::sigh::

lalala
muchlove
-dork
Tony Waynewrong 05-21-2004 11:18 AM
I hope so!

Emotionally: She is as human as any person in Paradigm City. Because the camera doesn't show it very often, it doesn't mean she doesn't have emotions. We have seen her terrorized ("Underground Terror"), jealous (she was playing the blues and ripped Angel's business card in "Electric City"), happy (when she was saved by Roger and Angel fell from grace, "The Third Big"), selfless (though it's only my opinion, I believe she gave herself up to save Roger and Norman from further attack, "Twisted Memories") and love ("Beck's Back" and "The Greatest Villain"). I am sure there are many more examples, but my brain doesn't work well when I'm thinking of Dorothy. (Mmmmmmm... Dorothy....)

Physically: If Timothy is the master craftsman (from "Underground Terror"), that Dorothy has made him out to be, he would've crafted her to be as human as possible. I'm not obsessing over a frigid lady. Wink
The Big Ian 05-21-2004 01:24 PM
I hope so too, Tony. Big Grin

*disappears in flash of light and a puff of smoke*
Zola 05-21-2004 02:56 PM
I would tend to think so. One of the other things that tells us that most androids in the Big-O verse probably are fully functional is Beck's immediate assumption that Dorothy is Roger's lover. Angel confirms this when she

spoiler (highlight to read):
accuses Roger of being in love with Dorothy when he won't kiss her. Think about that for a sec. Angel is trying to get him to kiss her and likely more. If he was unable to do that with Dorothy, she would have said something like "you know she can't be what you want her to be" or some such, and she wouldn't have been a BIT jealous or upset. What would there have been to get upset over if Dorothy could not compete with her in every way?

Also think about Angel asking Dorothy for forgiveness. She hugs her--ie, she treats her just like she would another girl.

One last piece of evidence is again in The Greatest Villain when Dastun starts to say "what can an android... what can a GIRL do?" If she wasn't a "real" girl, they wouldn't be treating her like one.

I put that part in spoiler tags for our friends across the pond who haven't seen all the eps yet. Smile

I have a fan-fic on the main site that addresses this to an extent called Beneath the Surface, so you might find it interesting to check out. Smile
Wazpy 05-21-2004 02:59 PM
I doubt it. She's pretty small as it is...they need room for the robot parts.

Also, you see her naked in the manga(When she's broken in book 6).
Tony Waynewrong 05-21-2004 03:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy

Given the complexity of Dorothy, I doubt that the amount of minaturization isn't sufficient enough to leave room for even the longest...err... male appendage.
Dork 05-21-2004 03:30 PM
quote:

Manga Dorothy is absolutely no relation to Anime Dorothy what so ever. They have the same name, they look similar, but their personalities couldn't be more different. The manga also has a different thesis statement, if you will, when it comes to androids and humans. In the manga they say again and again that a human could no better understand an android, than an android could a human. In the anime Roger says "The way in which you were given life in one way influences how you live you choose to live your life" A line that applies to Dorothy as well.

I have no doubt that anime Dorothy is indeed capable of that sort of relationship:

Beck: Is your precious Dorothy Roger's lover?
Roger: That's perposterous!
Dorothy: Why Roger? Why is it perposterous? You can be so cruel.

The emotion in her voice was so sincere and pained that there's no way she was joking.

muchlove
-dork
The Big Ian 05-21-2004 04:05 PM
quote:

Vol. 6 is out!? Shocked
Son_of_Horus 05-21-2004 04:14 PM
quote:

That doesn't say much, as I have a Manga where they're actually having sexual relations.
The anime and the manga are two different realities anyway.
Dork 05-21-2004 04:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Son_of_Horus
quote:

That doesn't say much, as I have a Manga where they're actually having sexual relations.

What do you mean 'they're having sexual relations'? Did I miss something?
Tony Waynewrong 05-21-2004 04:50 PM
quote:
quote:

Which manga is this? I'd like to see it for...err...research purposes. Smile

Thanks in advance. Smile
Son_of_Horus 05-21-2004 05:16 PM
It's this one.
It's really quite funny.
Erm... Dorothy get's a little bit miffed at Roger's insensitivity, and uhm... concentrates her "light" to make a point.

I wish my chatbot had that function.
Tongue
Wazpy 05-21-2004 05:25 PM
Heh...that's not exactly official...and they're not having realations...she's kinda preventing that from happening at all Wink
Dork 05-21-2004 05:28 PM
quote:
Heh...that's not exactly official...and they're not having realations...she's kinda preventing that from happening at all Wink

Yeah, I kinda thought that fan comic was about Roger's repeated unsuccessful attempts to score while they're taking a bath japanese style.
BigPrime 05-21-2004 05:41 PM
quote:
quote:

You sure you just don't have some doujinshi that someone made? Because those things're as common as dirt on a farm, and they have no actual official status. They're like fanfic.

Manga Roger & Dorothy don't have the same kind of relationship their anime counterparts have at all. While the anime pair may indeed be having relations in the post-Act 26 world of Paradigm City, I doubt the manga versions ever would. They're more like brother & sister there (not to mention that Dorothy's even younger looking there than she is in the anime, and she's practically jailbait there as is).
Wazpy 05-21-2004 05:47 PM
I'm aware that their relationship is different in the manga...but this is about how she was built...besides...why would Dr. Waynright bother putting in "the goods"? He wasn't going to have sex with her....was he?... Shocked
Zola 05-21-2004 05:51 PM
quote:
why would Dr. Waynright bother putting in "the goods"?

If I were going to build an android, I would not deprive them of one of the potentially most intense and loving of human experiences. Maybe Wayneright saw her going off and getting married one day.