PCF Game Ranking System (Updated 5/26/04)

Travis Bickle 05-18-2004 10:22 AM
Don't like what the Gamespot, Ign or GameRankings have as the best game of all time? I am proud to introduce Paradigm City Forums' Game Ranking System. All you [the user] have to do is list 1 game that you feel is absolutely the greatest game of all time. You must also list what system/console it is on. However, make sure that you only ever post once in this thread, to avoid confusion. I will periodically update the rankings in this thread and/or a spererate site.

For the best game ever, I have chosen Final Fantasy VII for the PS1
Jeff 05-18-2004 02:27 PM
*twitch* Does it have to be only ONE choice!?

I'll choose Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast and Gamecube, just because.
John Doe 05-18-2004 03:22 PM
The original Command and Conquer, my very first computer game and still probably my favorite (although, Half-life, Fallout, and Starcraft come close). Big Grin
Patsai 05-18-2004 04:26 PM
I don't get it...

EarthBound for SNES
Volt 05-18-2004 05:27 PM
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for PS2.
Mike 05-18-2004 06:11 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3.

Pure perfection burned into silicon.
The Fallen Phoenix 05-18-2004 06:12 PM
Damn it! I want to pick more than one...my choices are Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star (IV): The End of the Millenium, Shining Force, Der Langrisser, Super Mario 3, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles...

But I think I will choose Dragon Quest VI (for the Super Nintendo) as my choice. It's a shame it has never been released in the United States, because I feel it is an awesome game with a very intriguing plot. In my opinion, the Dragon Quest series outdoes the Final Fantasy series (and Final Fantasy VII is probably the most overrated game of all time, but whatever).

Though Der Langrisser was a very close second, and it's another game never released in the United States. Crying
Dude Love 05-18-2004 06:27 PM
SMB 3. I should play that more.
Khyron_Prime 05-19-2004 01:57 AM
Chrono Trigger.
The best RPG ever just HAS to be the best game ever, right?
*shrug* This is a hard decision to the next level.
Travis Bickle 05-26-2004 01:35 PM
Ok. So far, I've got this down:

1st -Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES/GBA)
Tied for 2nd- Final Fantasy VII (ps1/pc)
Tied for 2nd- Skies of Arcadia (DC/GC)
Tied for 2nd- Command and Conquer (PC)
Tied for 2nd- Earthbound (SNES)
Tied for 2nd- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2/PC)
Tied for 2nd- Dragon Quest VI (SNES)
Tied for 2nd- Chrono Trigger (SNES)
StevieV019 11-23-2005 11:23 AM
bringing back this thread...mainly because I want a serious discussion about which is the greatest game of all time.

Others have answered, this thread is a year old...but I truly want to know what everyone thinks and why.

For me...it comes down to about 6-7 games. My short list...and then Ill move on the my favorite of all time:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Baseball Stars (NES)
Contra (NES)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Streets of Rage (Genesis)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

They are all great for their very own unique reasons, whether they popularized the series of games itself, threw a genre of games to the forefront of players' minds, or was just groundbreaking in its technology. For instance, Final Fantasy VII totally blew up the series with its grand story and emotional pull. The RPG genre exploded in popularity after that. Metal Gear Solid brought to light a whole new way to conquer the action genre: without guns blazing; instead, with covert operations. Chrono Trigger linked the 16 bit generation the next generation of gaming and RPG's with its grand scale and different ending possibilities. Streets of Rage is largely considered the pinnacle of sidescrolling fighting games, sadly, a genre that seems absent in this era of gaming. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night brought platforming to a new level, and probably its last attained level possible as it ushered the traditional end to 2D platforming games. Baseball Stars is the only game in my recollection that allowed for creating a franchise within a game and trading, buying, and selling players on your personalized team, while doing it on an 8-bit platform. It certainly ushered in the era of creativity with sport games for this era. Contra, simply put, a shooter game that blended action with platforming, an epic start that brought the series to light. Super Mario Bros. 3, vast marketed hugely popular game that brought a franchise to the new generation of gamers with a huge variety of levels and options to customize your experience.

No doubt many of these games deserve the top spot however, "there can be only one." With that being said, I feel Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the best of the best, with Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII a close 2nd and 3rd. Chrono Trigger just gets beaten barely by FFVII and the others, with the exception of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Contra, are a little to genre specific.

Castlevania: SOTN blended everything in gaming so well. It blended the greatness of the older generation (sprite based graphics, 2D gaming, platforming, overall fun factor) with the new technology (modern music, updated graphics, smoothness in gaming) of the next generation.

In all honesty, it came down to personal opinion (obviously) and a little bit of sentimentality. I feel as though I rushed through FFVII even though I enjoyed it thoroughly and experienced everything it had to offer. Ive always loved the Castlevania series and it just barely edged out Metal Gear Solid. MGS is a great game in its own right, blending everything just like Castlevania, but the small piece of heart involved in this made me pick Castlevania over MGS.

There you have it...my favorite game of all time: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and the game I feel is the greatest of all time as well...
Dingo 11-23-2005 01:04 PM
Zone Of the enders: The second runner for the PS2.
Jonny Axehandle 11-23-2005 01:17 PM
Sonic 3 & Knuckles for Sega Genesis

Wasn't topped, isn't topped, never will be topped.
Generalissimo D 11-23-2005 01:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Sonic 3 & Knuckles for Sega Genesis

Wasn't topped, isn't topped, never will be topped.

It and Super Mario Bros 3. share the same level of sheer awesome, and they both encompass different types of gameplay.
Volt 11-23-2005 02:48 PM
I take back my previous vote and say Deus Ex for the PC, without a doubt.
Zopwx2 11-23-2005 03:31 PM
There are so many games......

Super Mario World was pretty boss.
088nd 11-23-2005 05:03 PM
Half-Life for the PC.

So amazing. I can remember playing it for the first time, absolutely awestruck.
Big Money 11-23-2005 05:05 PM
Super Metroid, because after who knows how many years I still can't find that damned last missile.