[Question] birthday thereads

R.Jesse 04-28-2004 12:47 AM
yes yes its good to say happy birthday but do those thereads get deleated? shouldent we have one theread? shouldent there be 1 theread?
Jonny Axehandle 04-28-2004 05:47 AM
We don't need one thread. They should get deleted the day after.
Pygmalion 04-28-2004 07:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
We don't need one thread. They should get deleted the day after.

Having one birthday thread would make it hard for any birthday person to find his or her birthday after the fact. There have been people who were unable to log in and see the thread on their birthday, who saw the thread one or two days later.

That is also why I am against deleting the thread the next day. If the server is filling up, there are many threads in Speakeasy that could be cut, not just birthdays.

A birthday thread gets about 10-15 responses. There are rarely more than two threads on a page at the Speakeasy. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but many people like getting them and creating them.

Pygmalion
Wingnut 04-28-2004 09:41 AM
I agree with Pyg too, if it really bugs you that much, I suppose we could look into haveing them follow the intro threads and be locked automatically after 2 weeks time.
However considering the length of the threads I don't really see that as being needed.
Now I'm going to wish a pair of regulars a happy birthday.
Benjamin 04-28-2004 10:45 AM
I think that the other threads are okay...

One per set of birthdays...

I think that is fine the way it is...

I DO NOT THINK THAT THERE HAVE BEEN ANY COMPLAINTS...

So are we changing it...Or is it going to be the same...

I THINK OVER ALL WE SHOULD HAVE A FORUM DETICATED TO BIRTHDAYS...

But that again is just me...

Thats all for now...

MINION
Almasy 04-28-2004 01:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
I agree with Pyg too, if it really bugs you that much, I suppose we could look into haveing them follow the intro threads and be locked automatically after 2 weeks time.
However considering the length of the threads I don't really see that as being needed.

I agree. Considering the current length of the threads, I don't think that anything needs to be done about them. Though, if it comes down to the choice between the Moderators deleting or locking the Birthday threads after a few weeks, I, personally (as one of those who would be doing the deleting/locking) would be more comfortable with simply locking them (after a few weeks), due to reasons explained by Pygmalion above.

quote:
Originally posted by MINION
I THINK OVER ALL WE SHOULD HAVE A FORUM DETICATED TO BIRTHDAYS...

I disagree. Considering the low number of replies each Birthday thread receives (approx. 10-15 responses), I really don't believe that a completely seperate forum dedicated to such threads is necessary.
Dude Love 04-28-2004 01:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Almasy
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut

I agree. Considering the current length of the threads, I don't think that anything needs to be done about them. Though, if it comes down to the choice between the Moderators deleting or locking the Birthday threads after a few weeks, I, personally (as one of those who would be doing the deleting/locking) would be more comfortable with simply locking them (after a few weeks), due to reasons explained by Pygmalion above.

I don't even think locking them is necessary. The Birthday thread aren't plagued by the problems the intro threads were (ie: people posting in dawnstrider's welcome thread (from September) in January).

You can lock them, but it may just be adding extra work.
A Clockwork Tomato 04-28-2004 03:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jesse
yes yes its good to say happy birthday but do those thereads get deleated? shouldent we have one theread? shouldent there be 1 theread?

It seems to me that the main effect of combining threads is to destroy discussions. Having a generic subject is like a flaming banner saying "Don't read me."

It's okay for threads where the topic is very narrow and the posts occur in no particular sequence, such as the Funny Pictures thread; or when the outside world selected our topics for us, like back when we all had something to say about the previous night's showing of BIG O, but it's too impersonal and generic for people's birthdays!