What's your opinion on Heavy Metal Rock?

Patsai 04-01-2004 05:01 PM
I have a ton of friends who are into this kind of music, but I can't seem to get into it, mostly because of all the screaming, unrhythmic music, satanic lyrics of hate and murder, and stuff like that.

In plain English, I can't stand it. I makes me feel scared whenever I listen to it.
Mike 04-01-2004 05:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
I have a ton of friends who are into this kind of music, but I can't seem to get into it, mostly because of all the screaming, unrhythmic music, satanic lyrics of hate and murder, and stuff like that.

In plain English, I can't stand it. I makes me feel scared whenever I listen to it.

Not all heavy metal is like that. And, to be honest, I hate that stuff too.

The stuff that I like, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, they actually have *gasp* MEOLDIES! and....SINGING!

And most of their lyrics are about how war sucks, or about committing crimes because you were fired, or the plight of the Native American.

Any idiot can just grab a microphone and go RAAAAARAGH. That's not singing, that's crap.
Sephiroth 04-01-2004 05:20 PM
Woa! Back up! I admit there is yelling, but not all heavy metal is satanic and not all is unrythmic. I like most rock except the satanic stuff.
dominusofdeath 04-01-2004 05:25 PM
Yeah! Satanic music is satanic.
Heavy Metal is Heavy and Metal.

It's ok but I'm not fond of it.
Darkside 04-01-2004 05:46 PM
Heavy Metal is one of my favorite genres of music. I can get into just about all Heavy Metal and what it sounds like your describing is one of my favorite bands System of a Down.
Rap on the other hand, well it sucks thats all I got to say and am allowed to say here about rap.
Zopwx2 04-01-2004 05:51 PM
Most of the heavy metal I've heard, starts out interesting and cool but then the singer starts yelling at the top of the his lungs and it kind of kills the music for me.
Kittie heavenly6 04-01-2004 05:52 PM
I love the stuff. to say Metal has no Rythm or Melody is obsurd. Sevendust is one of the most melodic bands on earth.

As for Satanic rock, there's very few of those in this day and age and it's usually just a gimmick. (Danzig comes to mind... And I love Danzig)
Ace of Spades 04-01-2004 06:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai

The group Nevermore isn't all screaming, head-banging, and unrythmical cords. Their songs are mostly about things such as being victimized, Mythology, Society Issues.. mainly the frustrations of Humanity.
re-animate 04-01-2004 06:06 PM
i was born with the demons mark on my head and an ax in my arms!

i am one of the biggest metalheads here at PC!

i will decimate, decicrate, and anihilate!

but i like all other usic cept for rap, R&B, and country!
Patsai 04-01-2004 08:56 PM
I'm perfectly fine if you guys like Heavy Metal, but I'm not really fond of it when all the singers sing like their constipated.
Trotsky 04-01-2004 09:01 PM
i think the problem is most modern music. or most bands in general. you can tell when a band has made an album because they enjoy playing, and theyre just trying to make money doing what they enjoy. and when it's a group that just wants money or attention. the problem is their are a huge flood of the ladder. so instead of having good heavy metal, you end up with guys tyring to make money by screeming their head's off. and not making much sence at all. Do the Evolution, he yell's a few time's during the song, but it's still good. Disterbed yell a lot, but their still coo two. Grumpy, i dont know if their well known, their known around orlando, suck. just yelling and a foul attempent at trying to make heavy metal. when all they end up being is angry.
Green_Bird 04-01-2004 09:06 PM
I like the older Heavy Metal bands (Iron Maden, Black Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, Guns and Roses ETC.) Some of the newer metal bands just scream that I can't take it, but most of the time I can find metal bands that I like, Powerman 5000, Disturbed, Lacuna Coil, Tool, NIN, Sevendust, Rob Zombie/White Zombie....if you call those bands/people metal.

But most of the music I like is Alt. Rock (and Grunge), Like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in chains, Offspring, Incubus....you know bands like that....inconjunction with the other bands I said.
YZEtc 04-01-2004 09:20 PM
As a rule, I love rock that has a great hook to it with killer guitar tones.

Also, I tend to favor stuff from 1965-1983.

Any kinda song - whether it be Thrash Metal, Rap, Country, you name it - that doesn't have some kinda' hook in it to attract my ear, is practically useless to me.
Seraphim 04-01-2004 09:21 PM
Iron Maiden is an amazing heavy metal band. Especially the song "The Wicker Man".

quote:
Originally posted by YZEtc
As a rule, I love rock that has a great hook to it with killer guitar tones.

Also, I tend to favor stuff from 1965-1983.

Any kinda song - whether it be Thrash Metal, Rap, Country, you name it - that doesn't have some kinda' hook in it to attract my ear, is practically useless to me.

You know, it's sort of the same here. But Iron Maiden has that kick that's AWESOME. They're lyrics are a bit repetative, but hey, whose aren't?
Tony Waynewrong 04-01-2004 09:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big_Venus
I like the older Heavy Metal bands (Iron Maden, Black Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, Guns and Roses ETC.) Some of the newer metal bands just scream that I can't take it, but most of the time I can find metal bands that I like, Powerman 5000, Disturbed, Lacuna Coil, Tool, NIN, Sevendust, Rob Zombie/White Zombie....if you call those bands/people metal.

But most of the music I like is Alt. Rock (and Grunge), Like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in chains, Offspring, Incubus....you know bands like that....inconjunction with the other bands I said.

Preach on, Sister! I agree, totally!
Seraphim 04-01-2004 09:22 PM
Incubus is nice. They tend to just say things that don't quite fit in the song, though. Like in "Warning".
Ace of Spades 04-01-2004 09:28 PM
quote:

Well Venus coming from a fellow Alice in Chains fan. Your take on PM5K and Rob Zombie is some what off. You probably didn't know but oh well its inevitable. You probably don't consider Zombie's music Metal. But he tries to keep his style revolved around the 80's and the Supernatural. As for PM5K they're centered aroud a sci-fi'ish theme.
Seraphim 04-01-2004 09:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades
quote:

Well Venus coming from a fellow Alice in Chains fan. Your take on PM5K and Rob Zombie is some what off. You probably didn't know but oh well its inevitable. You probably don't consider Zombie's music Metal. But he tries to keep his style revolved around the 80's and the Supernatural. As for PM5K they're centered aroud a sci-fi'ish theme.

I really love Zombie's supernatural theme. It really adds a unique kick to the music.
Green_Bird 04-01-2004 10:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades

I only Put rob zombie down because his formar band (White Zombie) was consitterd by some to be metal...and I have a habbit of putting both of them down at once....
Kittie heavenly6 04-02-2004 01:43 AM
ahhh sweet Grunge...

I wubs it.

That's why I am Grunger Kittie after all.

(AiC is my favorite)