What's your opinion on Heavy Metal Rock?

Travis Bickle 04-02-2004 07:10 AM
I love metal. It's one of my favorite types of music. However, there are all different types of Metal.

There's Death Metal, which my dad calls "5 guys playing power chords, banging on drums and screaming into a microphone". Slayer, Hatebreed and
spoiler (highlight to read):
Anal c**t
fall into this catagory.

Then there's Goth Metal. Goth Metal is all dark and spooky. In my opinon, I'd say that Marilyn Manson and Rammstein fall into this catagory.

There's speed metal, wich is kind of like death metal, only really really fast.

There's Glam Metal, where I feel Courtney Love's new album falls (and Mechanical Animals by Marilyn Manson)

There's probobly other forms of metal that I forgot to mention.

Now ask yourself this: Where do Tool, NIN, Rob Zombie, Slipknot, etc. fall into these catagorys? I guess that's up to you to decide.

Edit: I forgot Rap Metal, which bascially sucks, except for a few bands (RATM, and...um...I guess that's it!?).
David Ryder 12-30-2005 07:47 AM
quote:
screaming, unrhythmic music

That pretty much sums up the NYHC(new york hardcore) scene. Bands such as Hatebreed, Skarhead, Madball(their ok actually), and others fall in to this category. Hardcore is typically just hitting like 5 cords and screaming. All out war is most likely the best in this genra because unlike the others they actually have some nice guitar work and have some deathmetal elements as well. sorry about the old thread again X_X.
Sharpshooter005 12-30-2005 07:51 AM
quote:
Danzig comes to mind

"Do you think you could get the blood to flow UP the walls?"
David Ryder 12-30-2005 07:58 AM
quote:
"Do you think you could get the blood to flow UP the walls?"

"Danzing you want something to eat?"
A Clockwork Tomato 12-30-2005 08:34 AM
The problem with heavy metal these days is that if the old masters sing it like they used to, their dentures fall out.

Heavy metal never did much for me, one way or the other. Though it's sort of funny listening to elderly prigs rant against it. With a good beat, their anger would itself become heavy metal!
Sharpshooter005 12-30-2005 08:37 AM
quote:
elderly prigs rant against it. With a good beat, their anger would itself become heavy metal!

I've decided it's of vital importance that this be done. Furthermore I'm confident the record would sell thousands.
The Ghost of Ember 12-30-2005 08:39 AM
I've listened to some Rammstein, which was pretty good, and some of the really old stuff that my father plays every once and awhile… but otherwise I shy away from the genre. It's not so much it's overall style, since I have seen people pull it off well, as much as it is every time I hear it whomever is playing it insists on playing is so loud that I cannot hear myself think.
seraphjei 01-17-2006 02:36 AM
well, I enjoy metal as a whole however I am not to fond of Goth Metal. A lot of the new metal bands eg:Trivium, Lamb of God, just don't appeal to me anymore. However I am starting to get into screamo music which is a genre birthed out of emo. But I would really appreciate it if no one compared it to emo as the two genres really aren't at all that similar. Oh, and just my opinion Nu-metal is losing its foothold. eg2: Sorry System of a Down fans, the dual album that came out just doesn't hit home like the self-titled album did.

And if someone would be so kind as to post the exact defenition of Metal music and Hardcore, as I still do not see the difference
Randolph 01-17-2006 04:38 AM
I don't have much of a taste for Metal, or loud music in general.
I'm a quiet person, really.

Most Heavy Metal, Grunge, Satantic or Death Metal groups
have little appeal, as they do little besides shriek and writhe to
an explosion of noise. Now, that's most of them. Some are not so.

As has been noted, most of the newer bands have even less going for them,
with so many posers and wannabes trying their hearts out to get an
audience to pay for their gimmicky rubbish.

Although, if the poor fools can actually carry a tune and have the sense
to keep the amplifiers at a reasonable setting, who am I to complain?
The Baker St. Irregular 01-17-2006 12:15 PM
Sharpshooter005 01-17-2006 12:59 PM
"I come for the wuggas. But stay for the jiggy juggas"
Buck Buck #1 01-17-2006 09:43 PM
Metal isn't my favorite kind of music, but it can be good. I've seen Gwar two times in concert, and I'd recomend it to anyone who is a metal fan.

Well almost anyone, if you are in any way squeamish or easily offended avoid Gwar at all costs. If you aren't they put on a great show. Those were two of the most fun shows I've been to.