[Suggestion] Yet another suggestion!!!!

dominusofdeath 03-31-2004 06:15 PM
I (although I do participate in them) do not think that polotics(Not presidential campaigns), but like war stuff and governmental issues and whatnot are not things we should talk about at the forums. They turn into flame wars quickly.
evanASF27 03-31-2004 06:25 PM
agreed.
Sweatdrop Proof of it is in the Speakeasy right now...

Such subjects like politics should be not allowed here. Especially, not saying this to anyone in particular...I'm just saying, if some jerk decides to join in and start fooling around with the topic.
Pride, feelings, and people will be hurt...I agree with DoD and say we shouldn't allow that sort of discussion to continue.
Seraphim 03-31-2004 06:50 PM
I think the real issue is keeping it on topic. If it's a politically-based thread, then you're going to get political discussion. Besides, look at how much stuff on here is politically themed.
evanASF27 03-31-2004 07:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I think the real issue is keeping it on topic. If it's a politically-based thread, then you're going to get political discussion. Besides, look at how much stuff on here is politically themed.

*looks through all the sections*
wow...tons of Big O, anime, Fanart, Fanclips, fanfics, banners, avatars, and update threads, as well as the big ol sectino full of "other" threads Pleased

...I see few political threads. The only threads I've seen really about Polictics here are Schwarzwald's Bush-Disney-McDonald's thread(s), a couple of random threads about current/important world news (mainly concerning the stuff going on in Iraq and elsewhere), the discussion thread infamously known as "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU HUMANS THINKING?!" thread Smile , and a couple of other 'cinspiracy' threads.

"how much stuff here is pollitically themed" ?
Not a whole lot. But when it does come up (and most specifically discussion on government affairs in the US) it causes lots of problems. Political threads are ok if they are just news threads, but threads that are or become troublesome riots about governments should be locked on the spot.
The Fallen Phoenix 03-31-2004 07:58 PM
Hmm...just my own opinion, but I disagree. I think that the general populace of these forums have proven they are mature enough to discuss these sort of topics intelligently, without them degrading into flame wars. Generally, it is the actions of a very small minorty (usually one individual) that causes political threads to spiral out of control, but said individual is usually reprimanded as a result.

I'd say, for the most part, political discussions have not gone too far out of control...I'll grant that some did, but even those that did degrade into pseudo-flame wars (and I say pseudo because I've yet to see a full blown flame war break out here...those can be very nasty) lasted as intelligent discussions for quite a while.

And those threads which have gone out of control have been locked accordingly...

You know evan, you reminded me about that old "What are you HUMANS thinking" thread...perhaps I should revive it, because I've thought up a few interesting topics for discussion...though a couple of my points need to be perfected first (something I have been planning to do for a few months, but it has and still is taking a backseat to higher priorities: life, life, moderating, the MFL, and life).
dominusofdeath 03-31-2004 08:37 PM
After thinking for a while. We should just limit the threads. And FP they may be "mature" but it really doesn't need to be discussed here.
Manji 03-31-2004 09:16 PM
Every succesful forum I've been to allows heavy political discussion, and most of the time people are mature enough to handle it. Most of the little kids who just say "Bush Sucks" get shrugged off. It's something that almost everyone has an opinion on, and its something that effects everyone in the US, so I'd say that its a quite popular topic, one that you can't just blow off.
Seraphim 03-31-2004 10:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Manji
Every succesful forum I've been to allows heavy political discussion, and most of the time people are mature enough to handle it. Most of the little kids who just say "Bush Sucks" get shrugged off. It's something that almost everyone has an opinion on, and its something that effects everyone in the US, so I'd say that its a quite popular topic, one that you can't just blow off.

Exactly. That's why we should keep it.