[Comment] Odd server behavior...

Mr. Fortnight 03-17-2004 04:00 PM
Okay, about yesterday, I noticed that the server had been acting rather, shall we say odd.

It would all of a sudden have the speed of a snail on a downer. It gets to the point where a post will be lost in the shuffle.

Now, I know lately server issues have been "janky" at best, but I thought I'd just give a heads up to the powers that be.

Perhaps foreign invaders are trying to attack our fair city again?
evanASF27 03-17-2004 04:22 PM
I think I might as well post this here since this too might be about the server...

quote:
Latest News

SQL-DATABASE ERROR

Database error in WoltLab Burning Board (): Invalid SQL: SELECT * FROM bb2_threads, bb2_posts, bb2_boards WHERE (bb2_boards.boardid = bb2_threads.boardid) AND (bb2_posts.threadid = bb2_threads.threadid) AND (bb2_threads.starttime = bb2_posts.posttime) AND (bb2_threads.boardid = 8) GROUP BY bb2_threads.threadid ORDER BY bb2_threads.threadid DESC LIMIT 0,10
mysql error: Got error -1 from table handler
mysql error number: 1030
mysql version: 4.0.18-standard
php version: 4.3.4
Date: 17.03.2004 @ 16:20
Script: /
Referer:

That was what I just saw when I went to www.paradigm-city.com ...is it the server again? Probably not something big like the down times we used to have, but I too (like Ensign here) just want to know what's up.
Jonny Axehandle 03-17-2004 04:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
I think I might as well post this here since this too might be about the server...

quote:
Latest News

SQL-DATABASE ERROR

Database error in WoltLab Burning Board (): Invalid SQL: SELECT * FROM bb2_threads, bb2_posts, bb2_boards WHERE (bb2_boards.boardid = bb2_threads.boardid) AND (bb2_posts.threadid = bb2_threads.threadid) AND (bb2_threads.starttime = bb2_posts.posttime) AND (bb2_threads.boardid = Cool GROUP BY bb2_threads.threadid ORDER BY bb2_threads.threadid DESC LIMIT 0,10
mysql error: Got error -1 from table handler
mysql error number: 1030
mysql version: 4.0.18-standard
php version: 4.3.4
Date: 17.03.2004 @ 16:20
Script: /
Referer:

That was what I just saw when I went to www.paradigm-city.com ...is it the server again? Probably not something big like the down times we used to have, but I too (like Ensign here) just want to know what's up.

That is a MySQL Database Error.
evanASF27 03-17-2004 04:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
That is a MySQL Database Error.

I knew that from the first line of code....BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!? @.@;;;
I'm not program script literate! (yet)!! Frown
Jonny Axehandle 03-17-2004 04:33 PM
quote:
I knew that from the first line of code....BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!? @.@;;;

It means you need to get more webage-design literate.
evanASF27 03-17-2004 04:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
quote:

It means you need to get more webage-design literate.

...gee THAT was pretty friggin obvious Roll Eyes
[mild sarcasm] But still couldn't you at least tell me so I can save the money I'd spend on a month's worth of internet courses?[/mild sarcasm]
PLEASE? Big Grin
Jonny Axehandle 03-17-2004 04:46 PM
A MySQL Stores info for the board. The main page refers to the database entries for the News Forum. This way every time a new topic is made it is automatically put on the main page.
Mr. Fortnight 03-17-2004 05:26 PM
But, does that explain the recent lag-fest that has been occuring? I'm on a pretty stable connection that only slows down when a site is being slammed with requests.

Either some insidious theif is stealing bandwidth from our servers, or something rotten is in Paradigm. >.<
Jonny Axehandle 03-17-2004 05:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
But, does that explain the recent lag-fest that has been occuring?

Only if they use the MySQL for all of the content on the site.
Randolph 03-17-2004 05:46 PM
Hmm. I don't seem to be having any problems.
But what exactly does this mean for pc.com? There isn't going to be another downtime, is there?
This looks suspicious... there's been somebody going around trying to get people's passwords(being no more than a New Member with 0 posts and claiming to be an Admin when there's only one)on the Gamemaker Forums. And the site hosting Game Room got hacked into. Then Game Showcase crashed. I wonder, since there are some people who use GameMaker here, might they be related?

PS: I just got out of bed, don't take me too seriously just yet.
BabyGhia 03-17-2004 05:53 PM
It's a web server problem. Not someone hacking in (I'm not 100% sure but I'm at least 99.9% sure).

Unforunately, web servers aren't perfect.

BabyGhia
Jonny Axehandle 03-17-2004 05:55 PM
If it were a hacker it wouldn't cause server lag.
Krang 03-17-2004 11:50 PM
I've been noticing problems with the server speed lately also. Every time it happens, there is a high amount of load on the server (which seems to be caused by httpd). Since this server is shared with many other sites, my guess is that another site on the server is running a script which is slowing everything down. I'll have to talk to our host about it and see if we can get the problem fixed. BTW, I think the MySQL error was separate from the lag problem (since it seemed to be just temporary).
Mr. Fortnight 03-18-2004 12:53 AM
Have them check where the traffic goes. For some reason, the lagfests are random, so it must be some sort of high demand file or files on someone's web page.

Either that, or Paradigm City is under a DDoS attack. In that case, somebody don't like us.
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 03-19-2004 07:20 PM
I hope u guys been paying ur internet bills for this site! I hope it not a sign from ur internet hosts there mite be saying! U guys better pay up now slackers! lol
YoruameBaroness 03-19-2004 07:38 PM
I, too, have noticed this, and I have cable Internet so the board should not run slowly for me. It took ten minutes for my reply to be posted. I'm just a bit curious as to what is going on.
Krang 03-19-2004 11:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Negotiator_Roger_Smith
I hope u guys been paying ur internet bills for this site! I hope it not a sign from ur internet hosts there mite be saying! U guys better pay up now slackers! lol

No, that's not the problem. Laughing The server is already paid for until February of 2005 (thanks to donations).

quote:
Originally posted by YoruameBaroness
I, too, have noticed this, and I have cable Internet so the board should not run slowly for me. It took ten minutes for my reply to be posted. I'm just a bit curious as to what is going on.

I asked our host about it, and they said that they would keep an eye on the server. Until then, if anyone has a problem with the site being slow, keep track of the information from this page and report it to me when you have several examples of the server load being above 3.5 or so. If I give our host these examples, they might be able to figure out what's slowing down the server.

Edit: Nevermind, the problem on the server is now fixed. Please let me know if it happens again.
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 04-14-2004 11:16 AM
the server is acting weird today! seems like it has gone down aleast 2 times!
C.R Foxhound 04-14-2004 11:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Negotiator_Roger_Smith
the server is acting weird today! seems like it has gone down aleast 2 times!

yea, its been doing that to me too, maybe its my isp i dunno
madclarinet 04-14-2004 12:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by YoruameBaroness
I, too, have noticed this, and I have cable Internet so the board should not run slowly for me.

It wouldn't matter how fast your connection is - if the server's under pressure it'll take a while. I've had the same problem with the server I admin at work. One badly writtern perl script by a member of staff killed the server (shivers at the memory Shocked )