5 favorite series

JinguJ 03-07-2004 09:16 AM
This is a survey thing that is going on in my own community (Indonesian)

I'd like to ask for you all to list your Top 5 series (Anime or Manga) in here at the moment of writing. If you can, please list them in a particular order (1st being the most favorite for instance)

It should be a series (more than 1 episode/book), not a one-shot movie or one-book manga deal if possible.

If you want to, you can provide some opinions on why you like it/them.

I hope this is not counted as spam. ^_^;

And please label them if it's anime or manga.

I'll start with mine:

1. One Piece (Manga)
2. Cowboy Bebop (Anime)
3. Kotchimuitte Miiko (Manga) (man.. kids shoujo manga. I thinkI'm going insane)
4. Big O (Anime)
5. Trigun/ Trigun Maximum (manga)

Big Grin Responses will be much appreciated.
Pygmalion 03-07-2004 09:22 AM
1. Big O
2. Future Boy Conan
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Witch Hunter Robin
5. Teen Titans

I've only seen about three anime series I like very much. WHR is still on probation. Teen Titans isn't really anime, but it's my favorite of the anime-styled cartoons.

Pygmalion
Lady Tesser 03-07-2004 10:23 AM
1. Project A-Ko (anime movie, 'Love and Robots' series, and 'Blue vs. Gray') - It's what determined my love for anime - even though Moriyama worked on it. Super-powered redheads, obsessed mecha designers, gender-bending aliens, and retro-style mecha. Not to mention cameos by Wonder Woman and Superman. And the Bento of Death.

2. Matsumoto-verse (Harlock, Emeraldas, Maetel, Galaxy Express, etc - anime and manga) - Matsumoto is the master of space epics. Besides, the ship designs are cool beyond all comprehension because of their timeless quality.

3. Gunsmith Cats (anime mini-series) - Sonoda's work in 'anime realism' makes this a great work due to his attention to mechanical detail (cars and guns) and character interaction (Americanisms of flippancy and disrespect for wormy authority). As well as one of the best opening themes in existance.

4. Ranma 1/2 (anime and manga) - Mindless escapism. And being the author of most-noted Ranma fanfics. Pleased Takahashi's work on this always makes me laugh.

5. Magical Project S (anime) - AKA Pretty Sammy. It's more than a magical girl show, it's making fun of magical girl shows. And I absolutely love Sammy's father Ginji, he's like James Bond gone domesticated. It's a hilarious show featuring the not-so-intense-in-this-world characters from 'No Need for Tenchi'. (And Washu as a 12-year-old genius-turned-elementary-school-teacher is worth watching.)
Tickle Tickle 03-07-2004 10:48 AM
1. Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
2. Big O
3. Excel Saga
4. Chobits (manga is betta!!!)
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

EDIT:

Sorry EVA, can't match up to Chi...
Schoolie 03-07-2004 01:34 PM
1. Big O (great characters, mystery, cool style, music)
2. Cowboy Bebop (music, action, characters)
3. Trigun (characters, funny, action, music)
4. Robotech Macross (classic, action, mechs, love triangle)
5. 08th Mobile Suit Gundam Team (music, action, war drama)

Honorable Mention: Last Exile (still watching - fun action, animation, CGI, characters)
Blue Crow 03-07-2004 02:10 PM
1. Cowboy Bebop (anime): What else can I say?The greatest anime series of all time.Perfect delivery and timing.Great music and characters.Just an overall fantastic experience.You haven't lived until you've seen this series.

2. Outlaw Star (anime): Although this series had a few crappily animated episodes,it's still a friggin' cool show.Magnetic characters,weird villains,cool action,and a fullfilling ending.What's not to like?All I can say is that i'm looking forward to Outlaw Star 2.Pleased

3. Big O (anime- FIRST SEASON ONLY!!!!!!!) Although the second season was ok,the first season was true art.A flashback to the golden years of giant robot anime,with a dash of modern edginess makes for a delicious anime stew.Pleased Now if only they would make the Big O movie to replace the faulty season 2.Frown

4. Love Hina (manga): I have only read up through volume 9 of this series,but I must say that it is by far the most entertaining thing i've ever read.Pleased This series is a delicate mix of slapstick comedy,suspenseful romance,and a dash of fanservice.Not to be missed.

5. Excel Saga (anime): What else can I say besides that this show is a friggin' riot!Pleased Normal rules of reality,gravity,and even death don't apply here!The goal here is not to supply the viewer with a great story,but to leave you in stitches.Which is exactly what it does!Nabe-Shin will reign supreme!Pleased

Honorable Mention:

Burn Up W (anime): This is one of my favorite shows.Too bad it didn't make the top five.Frown Look for lots of comedy and large breasts throughout this one.Smile

Lupin The Third (anime-second series):Just goes to show you that regardless of age,an anime can still be totally friggin' funny.This show is stylish in it's own weird way.The animation isn't too shabby for the late 70s either.

-BC
Ace of Spades 03-07-2004 03:04 PM
1. The Soultaker-(Mystery, Sci-Fi, cool looking armor-clad characters.)

2. Rurouni Kenshin-(has some historical truth in it.)

3. Inuyasha-(A true fantasy come to the silver screen.)

4. Bebop-( Action, funky background music, good plot)

5. Lupin the 3rd-( Theft, women, and a hero who is a sex crazed Orangutan.)
harshfire 03-07-2004 04:21 PM
big o
knight hunters
rurouni kenshin
evangelion
outlaw star

yes. it does have some truth. saitou is a real shinsengumi.
YoruameBaroness 03-07-2004 06:46 PM
Mobile Fighter G Gundam-By far the best love story out of all the Gundam shows, and it's serious, yet not as serious as the other Gundam shows.

The Big O-It makes you think, Roger is a likeable character, Roger has good morals . . .and he's damn good looking.

Cardcaptor Sakura-It's so cute, and has such beautiful artwork. I like the storyline, and the characters.

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon-By far the greatest love anime ever created. And one of the most popular to hit the United States.

Cowboy Bebop-Spike's amusing, Faye's got a gambling problem, Jet is the only one with common sense, and Ed's hilarious. Ein is cute. End of story.

Honorary Mention:

Outlaw Star-I hate the ending, but I'm glad Gene got to be happy, even if it's with Melfina. (Dorothy could be Melfina's big sis, and Roger and Gene could be buddies. J/k. Still, some people can pick out a lot of similarities between Big O and Outlaw Star.)

Inu-Yasha-Demons and the past make for an intriguing story.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0079-It's great. I just can't stand Amuro.

08th MS Team-I like it, I really do. I just don't like that
spoiler (highlight to read):
in the end, Shiro got his leg blown off

Lupin III-Damn hilarious. 'Nuff said.
Manji 03-07-2004 07:01 PM
LOL, this is like the "Favorite Anime" Thread X 5 Big Grin

Anyway, in no particular order...

-Cowboy Bebop
-Hellsing
-FLCL
-Blue Submarine 6
-Initial D
Atropos 03-07-2004 07:21 PM
So I guess I'll cheat and put a little more than five... Tongue

1. Three-way tie between BigO/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop--I love them all!
2. Dirty Pair (the original--the incarnations, like Flash, were all right, but nothing like the original, in my opinion).
3. Ranma 1/2
4. Project A-ko (any of them!)
5. Lovehina (though I still have to steal a good amount of the DVD's from my brother to watch).

Honorable Mention:

Sailormoon (even though I haven't actually seen the un-butchered version, I'm still putting it down as worth-while. I had grown rather fond of it, and I've heard the original kicks the pants off the edited version.)

Lupin III--I need to see more of it, but damn! Who can't like an anti-hero like Lupin who just happened to have his own theme song?
dominusofdeath 03-07-2004 07:21 PM
There is a difference in my favorite and what I think are the greatist.
Favorites
1.Outlaw Star
2.Ruroni Kenshin
3.Trigun
4.ROBOTECH
5.Tenchi Muyo

Greatist
1.Cowboy BeBop
2.Excel saga
3.Neon Genesis Evangelion
4.Trigun
5Ruroni Kenshin

In favorites I know I left out Hellsing Aand BeBop and Lupin and FLCL.
Raven 03-08-2004 02:03 AM
Hmmm I guess my favorites are:

Evangelion
.hack//sign
Cowboy Bebop
Kenshin
Armitage II Poly Matrix
Schwarzwald 03-08-2004 08:26 PM
Last Exile
*sing*"Look at you your hands are shaking..."

Big O
*sing*"Big oh oh oh BIG O!"

Crest/Banner of the stars (1/2/3).
*tune* "Bah bah bah BAH BHA bah bah AHhh BAHHHHH bAAAAAAAAH!"

Excel Saga
*sing (in japanese...gah... don't tihnk i'll be able to type the words correctly)* "Run away Run away!"

FLCL
*Plucks low 5th string*

Hmm... last one? This is tough...

*thinks* Lodoss war... Duel.... Mizoru(Sooo oh sad...only lasted two episodes even)....or lupin the 3rd.....

hmmm...

Duel saga i have only seen much of... YES Duel saga...

*thanks tech tv*
Schoolie 03-08-2004 10:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Atropos
So I guess I'll cheat and put a little more than five... Tongue

1. Three-way tie between BigO/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop--I love them all!

Straight up. Cool
BigO-SHOWTIME 03-08-2004 10:28 PM
COWBOY BEBOP - Im sorry but there is nothing like this show. Has a little bit of EVERYTHING. Ballad of fallen angels, The real folk blues I and II alone make this one of the best anime series ever. And the Dub is just about superior to the subtitled version.

Big O - Profound, noir, mystery. Love the music and the cel graphics of season 1. Love certain scenes of season 2 but season 1 is why i love big O.

Trigun - Seriousness combined with comedy.
Silv3rKnigh1 03-08-2004 10:47 PM
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Big O
Chobits
Sailormoon

in no particular order
Green_Bird 03-09-2004 04:21 PM
  • Cowboy Bebop (animé/Manga)
  • Big O (Animé/Have yet to find the Manga)
  • Tenchi Muyo (Animé/Manga [No need for Tenchi/All new tenchi muyo)
  • Ranma 1/2 (Animé/manga)
  • Lain (Animé)
Big Waddle 03-09-2004 05:25 PM
It's unreasonable to lump anime and manga in a list like that. I wouldn't even include movies and TV series in the same catagory.

FAVORITE ANIME SERIES/OVAs

Cowboy Bebop
Mobile Suit Gundam
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Macross Plus
Bubblegum Crisis (OVA)

FAVORITE ANIME MOVIES/SPECIALS

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Spirited Away
Metropolis
Macross Plus: The Movie
Grave of the Fireflies

FAVORITE MANGA

Trigun
Prons 03-09-2004 05:29 PM
Series:
1) Sunrise Mech anime (Gundam, Gasaraki, Patlabor, THE BIG O)
2) Prince of Tennis
3) Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
4) Macross Franchise
5) Boogiepop Phantom

Manga:
1) Kare Kano
2) Prince of Tennis
3) Kodocha
4) Full Metal Panic!
5) Evangelion

Anime Films:
1) Gundam Chars Counter Attack