Most memorable video game soundtrack?

X Prime 03-07-2004 12:20 AM
I'm been on a lot of music binges lately.. This is the counterpart to the Most Memorable Anime Soundtrack thread I made. Same deal as before of course.

So, most memorable VG soundtrack?

Xenogears certainly.. Possibly FF3/6j. Chrono Trigger also had good stuff...

Yourselves?
Manji 03-07-2004 12:23 AM
I'd think Metal Gear Solid, I still have that music ringing in my ears.

Either that or maybe one of the Zelda games, those had good music.
X Prime 03-07-2004 12:23 AM
MGS..? I played it and never found it's stuff memorable.. Metal Gear Solid 2's OST is in front of me.. How is that?
Manji 03-07-2004 12:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
MGS..? I played it and never found it's stuff memorable.. Metal Gear Solid 2's OST is in front of me.. How is that?

Mostly the main theme, I cant get it out of my head!

They both have a similar main theme, and both have fairly good scores. I'd say the game itself is better, but the music is good too Big Grin
Blue Crow 03-07-2004 02:34 PM
Gungrave and .Hack//Infection
Zola 03-07-2004 02:55 PM
I still love the music for Final Fantasy VIII

In fact, I don't think there is a single Final Fantasy whose music I didn't like. FFX runs a very close second, "Otherworld" was great, and what an opening it made!
C.R Foxhound 03-07-2004 02:57 PM
Halo

Sonic Series

Shenmue

Hitman 2
Randolph 03-07-2004 03:59 PM
All the music from the Megaman X games, and some of the Classic ones also.

All of the Sonic the Hedgehog music.

Boss battle tracks from Legend of Mana (Darkness Nova, Pain of the Universe, etc.). Bang yo' head while beating up on Irwin with your 128 Ishe Platinum 2H Sword.

Just about any music by Sega, they have always had the best music tracks for their games.

The soundtrack of Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2. Excellent Final Boss tunes.

That's all I can think of because my mom wants to engage in a martial arts spar/mud wrestling match and I am obliged to comply. Tootles!
Darkside 03-07-2004 04:03 PM
metal gear solid definetly, especially the one that plays during the chase scene.
Mr. Saturn 03-07-2004 04:06 PM
EarthBound 0/Mother

EarthBound

Any of the Sonic games for Genesis and/or Saturn

Ganbare Goemon 5 I think it was (a.k.a Legend of the Mystical Ninja for N64 here in NA)

Super Smash Bros. Melee (gotta love those remixes of old school game tunes)

Star Ocean:The Second Story

Twisted Metal 2 (to me at least Sweatdrop )

Marvel vs. Capcom (the original, not the second one)

Any megaman game (specifically the X series and all that were on NES)
Darkside 03-07-2004 04:19 PM
Well Duh! Of course the Twisted Metal 2 music is cool. I think its the best soundtrack out of all Twisted Metals. My favorite song is Dark Tooth Evil
Bismarck 03-07-2004 04:28 PM
The best orchestrated music in a RPG for me would be Final Fantasy 7. That one single game has so many memorable tracks that I can hardly count them. But if I had to pick two songs which most likely held all the others on their back they would be The One Winged Angel and Aeris' Theme.

Devil May Cry probably has the best fight music of any action game. You can tell they put a lot of work into the compositions and other aspects of the music. They also picked the perfect moments to start up certian tracks within the game.
The Fallen Phoenix 03-07-2004 05:17 PM
Some of the most memorable video game soundtracks...
  • Chrono Trigger, certainly. That game had some very nice tunes.
  • Shining Force II, definitely! If you've ever heard the OST, you'd probably agree that this game had some very well composed tunes (the OSTcontaines the tunes, beauifully orchestrated).
  • The Romance of Three Kingdoms IV: This is another game with some very catchy music. The PC version of this game (which you'd have to import) was awesome because of the high quality of the sound...plus it, unlike the SNES (and GBA versions of the game), had orchestrated music...
  • Phantasy Star (IV): End of the Millenium: No one has mentioned this game yet? It had some great themes...including a couple of great dungeon remixes from Phantasy Star 1.
  • Phantasy Star II: This game also had some nice music, which really fit the setting.
  • Sonic (I, II, III, & Knucles): All of these Sonic games had memorable tracks, especially 'Wing Fortress' (II), 'Ice Cap' (III), 'Lava Reef' (S&K), 'Hidden Palace' (S&K), 'Sky Sanctuary' (S&K), 'Death Egg' (S&K)...those are some of the tunes that really stick out.
  • The Dragon Quest (Warrior) Series: Beautiful music, really, which has evolved through each game. Dragon Quest VII had beautifully orchestrated music, in my opinion...it definitely did the classic tunes justice! Big Grin
Blue Crow 03-07-2004 05:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Saturn

Except for that horrible Donkey Kong Rap.Good lord,that was awful.Frown
StevieV019 03-08-2004 08:20 AM
tsk tsk...

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy VII
Parasite Eve
Einhander
Resident Evil 2
ChronoTrigger
Patsai 03-08-2004 08:39 AM
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time probably had the best video game soundtrack. Even the notes you play on the ocarina were hummable.

EarthBound had some great music, especially Fourside.

Just about about every Final Fantasy game had great music.
Khyron_Prime 03-10-2004 11:40 PM
I definitely think that it was Final Fantasy VI, due maybe in fact to the part that nearly (every!?) character had his or her own song that would play whenever he or she entered. "Locke's Theme", "Cyan's Song", "Figaro"--whatever the real titles were, the songs were really memorable because they seemed to capture every character very well.

"Shadow's Theme..."
seraphjei 03-10-2004 11:41 PM
FFX had four discs of the best music i have ever heard.
Mr. Saturn 03-11-2004 02:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Crow
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Saturn

Except for that horrible Donkey Kong Rap.Good lord,that was awful.Frown

Ugh, dont remind me... what always bothered me was that they might as well have ripped it straight from Donkey Kong 64, but they didnt, they went ahead and made the worst remix in music history...
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 03-11-2004 07:32 PM
the opening music to castlevania III

and the music in final fantasy 9