I just downloaded the Flash Gordon theme to compare with the Big-O theme...

Kat 02-27-2004 07:05 PM
Yes, I'd never heard it before. -_-

And now I finally understand why people have been calling the Big-O theme a ripoff of that song. I think the little snippets of dialogue are funny. ^_^

Personally, I think the Big O theme is cooler sounding. Not just because I REALLY like Big O, but because it's more...engergetic, for one. ^__^

Well, that's all I have to say for now. And for the Mods, etc: If there's another thread this post should belong in instead, feel free to move it!
Zola 02-27-2004 07:07 PM
I agree about the similarities, but you have to admire a guy who can out-Queen Freddy Mercury!

I personally think if he was still alive he'd be laughing his butt off.
pulse 02-27-2004 10:46 PM
It's too bad that we will never hear Queen (with Freddie Mercury) play the Big O theme. I'd have been curious to hear what it sound like...oh well.
C.R Foxhound 02-27-2004 11:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pulse
It's too bad that we will never hear Queen (with Freddie Mercury) play the Big O theme. I'd have been curious to hear what it sound like...oh well.


that would kick ass!

Long Live Mercury!!!!
Zopwx2 02-27-2004 11:32 PM
DOWNLOADING! GAsp! Don't you know thats illegal.



(sarcasm)

Anyway. Queen Rules quite alot.

And yes the bigo theme is a giant ripoff.
Silv3rKnigh1 02-27-2004 11:43 PM
I love flash gordon, and Queen!!!! WOOT
Khyron_Prime 02-28-2004 12:02 AM
quote:


I'm totally laughing my butt off at this picture!
Lady Tesser 02-28-2004 08:55 AM
Tell it like it is, Zop, tell it like it is!

When I first heard the Big O theme, I was wondering how Nagai managed to wrangle the tune from Queen (like Vanilla Ice did and claims 'Ice Ice Baby' is NOT a rip-off of 'Under Pressure'), then decided to hell with it and enjoy it.

What can be said ... Queen writes good enough stuff it's now part of the racial memory. Mr. Mercury is having his laugh-riot in the end.
Kat 02-28-2004 11:21 AM
Funny pic. I use Kazaa Media Desktop, which as far as I know is perfectly legal. ^_^
Silv3rKnigh1 02-28-2004 11:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kat
Funny pic. I use Kazaa Media Desktop, which as far as I know is perfectly legal. ^_^



oh is that why all those people with it got arrested back in the summer? >_>
Kat 02-28-2004 12:12 PM
Never heard of problems with Kazaa. Napster, yes.
Zola 02-28-2004 12:16 PM
You know, honestly, there is a huge difference between a person checking out a song for a specific purpose and someone who has a library of thousands of downloaded tunes.

I have almost my entire CD collection MP3'ed (17.4 GB, 4797 files with about 20 new CD's waiting to be ripped) but I don't make them all available. I'd swap a specific song for someone if they asked, and I have a folder just for the songs I have downloaded. When I acquire a CD with the tune on it, I delete that copy and make my own (better quality, usually).

I found that downloading tunes has actually increased my CD purchases. For example, when the group Bond released an album that seemed interesting, I downloaded the tunes and I liked them, and thus was willing to put my money down for the actual CD.

Most of the stuff you find in my "downloaded" folder are obscure tunes that simply aren't available for purchase. For these, I keep my eyes open at the second-hand section of our local music shop. I have found a lot of things that way.

I think if the record companies worked with people more, they wouldn't have so much of a problem. Helping people understand that their purchase supports their favorite artists, and perhaps even making it possible for a person to pay a fee if they have something obscure that the company isn't planning to sell that will make the mp3 a legal one, is what will help, not lawsuits.
Silv3rKnigh1 02-28-2004 04:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zola
You know, honestly, there is a huge difference between a person checking out a song for a specific purpose and someone who has a library of thousands of downloaded tunes.

I have almost my entire CD collection MP3'ed (17.4 GB, 4797 files with about 20 new CD's waiting to be ripped) but I don't make them all available. I'd swap a specific song for someone if they asked, and I have a folder just for the songs I have downloaded. When I acquire a CD with the tune on it, I delete that copy and make my own (better quality, usually).

I found that downloading tunes has actually increased my CD purchases. For example, when the group Bond released an album that seemed interesting, I downloaded the tunes and I liked them, and thus was willing to put my money down for the actual CD.

Most of the stuff you find in my "downloaded" folder are obscure tunes that simply aren't available for purchase. For these, I keep my eyes open at the second-hand section of our local music shop. I have found a lot of things that way.

I think if the record companies worked with people more, they wouldn't have so much of a problem. Helping people understand that their purchase supports their favorite artists, and perhaps even making it possible for a person to pay a fee if they have something obscure that the company isn't planning to sell that will make the mp3 a legal one, is what will help, not lawsuits.


non the less, any of thats illegal if u dont pay the copyrighted company the money for it. NOt that I care lol FREE TRADE OF ANIME ON KAZAA! WOOT!!!!!!!!!

If y'all want to be safe from the RIAA and peoples get kazaalite if you can find it anymore, if not I could email it to ya. It has port scan protectors and no spyware or adware. Plus if you hit the do not share anyhting and you dont select what folders your files are in you are completely safe pretty much.
Zola 02-28-2004 04:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by knight123
If y'all want to be safe from the RIAA and peoples get kazaalite if you can find it anymore, if not I could email it to ya. It has port scan protectors and no spyware or adware. Plus if you hit the do not share anyhting and you dont select what folders your files are in you are completely safe pretty much.


The biggest thing is not to have a lot of songs. The people they have been going after have thousands of MP3's that they are sharing.

I think it's important to buy the CD whenever possible.
Jane 02-28-2004 06:25 PM
Or you could get this and download songs legally.

But we're off topic, aren't we? Does anyone know if "Big O" got the rights to make the theme so similar, 'cause it's definitely a rip-off. It's cool, but it's a rip-off.
Hienrich Ele 02-28-2004 08:23 PM
Its perfectly legal to download songs if you own the CD. So if you are ever charged with illegally downloading music, just buy the CD's that have the songs and they cant touch you.

And I love the picture! I shall make it my wallpaper!!!
Pygmalion 02-28-2004 09:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jane
Does anyone know if "Big O" got the rights to make the theme so similar, 'cause it's definitely a rip-off. It's cool, but it's a rip-off.

How different must it be to not be a rip-off? I am the first to admit that the theme sounds just like Queen (particularly the bridge in the full-length version), I've listened to both songs, and there are more differences between them than, say, one of Weird Al Yankovich's parodies (which use the same tune as the original).

I'd say it was a concious homage to Queen.

Pygmalion
Kittie heavenly6 02-29-2004 02:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kat
Never heard of problems with Kazaa. Napster, yes.


Actually, Kazaa is what everyone was getting sued over last year. Kazaa is no more legal than Napster was.

As for the Big O theme, it's what sold me on the series ^_^
It sounded Queen enough to me.
Jonny Axehandle 02-29-2004 08:58 AM
Can someone post the lyrics to this song?
Seraphim 02-29-2004 09:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zola
The biggest thing is not to have a lot of songs. The people they have been going after have thousands of MP3's that they are sharing.


I'm protected, since I just download files. I never share. Big Grin