Which of the following draws you to a particular anime show?

The Fallen Phoenix 08-07-2003 12:32 AM
Well, see the topic. If you want, leave a message explaining your choices.
Roger Smith Zero 08-07-2003 01:21 AM
I've noticed that with me, art style doesn't matter as long as you can keep me interested. Like Lupin III. I hate the art syle of L III. But, the show is so friggin hilarious, that you can't resist looking at it. The antics of the group and the plot make for a show that exceeds art design. So, I can watch. Music is also important, too. But, I think that's just a personality quirk. Go figure.
Brutakas 08-07-2003 01:24 AM
Mechs are what make anime, anime that and swords.

Edit: Oh wait and school girls. You can't have robots without school girls
Manji 08-07-2003 01:28 AM
He must work for an anime company and hes trying to make up a storyline containing the things we love most Big Grin
hellboy19 08-07-2003 01:28 AM
i'm a big fan of mystery and suspense. Mysteries with mechs (BIG O!!!!) are especially nice.
The Fallen Phoenix 08-07-2003 01:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Manji
He must work for an anime company and hes trying to make up a storyline containing the things we love most Big Grin

Believe me, I wish that were true...I surely wouldn't mind working on a storyline for a new anime. Big Grin

I really wanted to add some more choices...like schoolgirls and whatnot...but damn limit of only 10 choices. Evil
major pain 08-07-2003 01:52 PM
hey you forgot hot girls!!!!!!!! i guess i'll have to go with art style.
Dante 08-07-2003 02:15 PM
The story has to be good. Good storytelling is what makes Japanese Anime and Manga different from ours.

In an American comics usually there are singular storys in each issue. The problems are solved in a mere 22 pages.

In a Manga in Japan they concentrate more on grabbing you emotionally and mentally by getting you attached to the characters.

( I read Spider-Man for 15 years. If he died in an issue I'd probably say "aw man that sucks" and never think anything about it cause he'd probably be brought back to life 2 issues later by some act if God)
Shaoblane 08-07-2003 05:14 PM
Oaky, I cheated. I clicked every box. The thing that draws me to animes is referrals. It's all Kaetlyn's fault I watch Big O. If she hadn't have reccommended Trigun (before they moved Big O to sunday) I would never have watched it. There was even one night when I switched to comedy central just because the name 'Big O' sounded...lame?

Oh well. Im a fangirl now! ^_^
Blue Crow 08-07-2003 05:30 PM
Is it just me or does it look like that mouse is violating the other mouse? Big Grin

I guess I'm drawn to anime by the art,music,storyline,action,etc.I'ts all good. Smile
Manji 08-07-2003 05:53 PM
.......interesting mouse.......even more interesting off-bread..........thier children will be hilarious Big Grin
Lupin III 08-09-2003 09:32 PM
it matters how good the drawings, voices and the story.
The Big Omega 08-09-2003 09:49 PM
I've always been a fan of the storyline and plot. I need just about everything all of that stuff in my animes to make them good. There needs to be good action but characters and plot should not be ignored. I also love the way that they get you emotionally attached to characters as well, it feels devastating when an important person dies. One of the reasons that I hate DBZ is that they only things that I think trully make anime great are action, and art style, the music is decent though. I checked everything. This is why I like Big O, it has awesome action and mechs (those go hand in hand), it has supense and mystery, it's pretty philosophical at times, and there are those constant hints about Dorothy and Roger Wink . The music is beyond descripition and the art style is great. All in all Big O has got it all! That's why I keep coming back for more!
Schoolie 08-09-2003 10:18 PM
The art style is what catches my eye at first. Unfortunately that may mean I don't pay attention to older shows as much as I should.

But after I watch a few episodes of a show, the characters and story have to make me want to watch it. If it's gripping and makes me want to see what happens, I'll keep watching (and record it too, or maybe by the DVD's, like Big O). But the art and music have a big impact too.

Stuff that turns me off is the blatant sexual/perverted humor. I know it's not any worse than live-action sitcoms, but it bothers me for some reason. (FLCL has disappointed me in that regard a little - otherwise it's a wild and crazy show!)
darkmisery 08-09-2003 10:55 PM
there's not even that much "blatant sexual/perverted humor" in flcl...the only time they have some is in episode 4, but it's not even that bad...i mean besides the nose-bleeding thing that's about it..

btw, the things that draw me to an anime are a great plot and storyline, interesting and very likeable characters, eye-catching art, and a really great soundtrack too!
dtk91 08-09-2003 11:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by darkmisery
there's not even that much "blatant sexual/perverted humor" in flcl...the only time they have some is in episode 4, but it's not even that bad...i mean besides the nose-bleeding thing that's about it..

btw, the things that draw me to an anime are a great plot and storyline, interesting and very likeable characters, eye-catching art, and a really great soundtrack too!
i could never had said it better myself... Pleased
Mugiwara Luffy 08-09-2003 11:06 PM
The art style is what gets me to watch an anime in the first place and then it's the plot and the characters that keep me watching.

It's nice if the show has good music but I guess it's not essential...

Also, big mechs are a nice plus! Big Grin
ramdrumr 08-09-2003 11:11 PM
I love big mechs, it's just so fun to see big robots battling it out.
Sometimes the plot doesn't even have to make sense to me. I'm confused half the time I watch FLCL, but I love it, 'tis grand.
The art style doesn't matter that much, but Cyborg 009 seems kind of corny (sorry) to me, even though it is interesting. Kikaider's plot is okay, but the art is a little odd to me.
Music is a big deal for me. Part of ther thing that drew me to Rurouni Kenshin was the music, from the J-Pop to the orchestral tunes, there's such a wide spectrum of music styles that is used.
Romance is okay too. Love Hina, it's cute (yeah, I said "cute"). Just a normal kind of guy that doesn't have spectacular grades (I don't relate, however).
Plots that make me think are great too. I like to use Animes like that as reference in essays, ha.
That's my 3 cents.
mAc Chaos 08-09-2003 11:24 PM
Look at everything on the poll. If I don't like one of those, then the show won't do it for me.
StevieV019 08-15-2003 04:14 PM
This is probably a dead post...but I really have to enjoy the art style along with the plot of an anime...