The computer in your life.....

TDF Studios 02-04-2004 09:14 AM
Everyone of us goes through life, using our computers. We talk on Paradigm with them, and we also do other things that make our life one hundred billion times easier. It has come to my attention that these mechanical beasts need a little repect, so I have devised a thread for us to show them a little respect. If you know, post your computer system specifications, and maybe a picture or two.

My System Specs. (Custom Built by Me)

-Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz (Overclocked to approx. 2.1 Ghz)
-Western Digital 120 Gigabyte Hard Drive with 8 Mb buffer
-ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 Mb
-75 Watt 2.1 Creative Sound System with Subwoofer
17 Inch Monitor (We all need one don't we?)
-Antec Server Case w/ 400 Watt Power Supply (Why did I buy a server case again?)
-Link-Sys Wireless card
-512 DDR Memory
- DVD-RW (I got this one right as DVD-RW's were coming out... This little thing was $300 and has a max DVD write speed of x2)
- CD-RW
-Internal Zip 100 Drive (I ripped this little joy off our old computer)
-Windows XP Home Edition
-and so on..... (You know, Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, Microsoft Optical Mouse, Microsoft Natural Keyboard, HP Desktop 712C Printer, UMAX Astra 2100U Scanner, $3 Headset, the works)

So, you can see that I'm not perfect. I would like a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Processor with Hyper Threading technology but its a little out of where my pocket book can reach at this point.

I will post a picture soon... My old picture is a little bit unorganized and so I will take a new one and post it soon.

I also find that everyones computer has a story. Many people who built custom PC's find that everything on a computer has a story to it. Stories are welcome here for anyone who has one.
Mike 02-04-2004 09:35 AM
I've had a bunch of computers over the years.

My first one was an NEC with a 25 MHz processor and a 175 MB HDD. WOW! We later upgraded it to a 850 MB and a 50 MHz.

Then we got a Packard-Bell 200 MHz, with I think 32 megs of ram. That broke, and I ended up selling the ram, CD drive, and hard disks to my friends.

After that came a Hewlett-Packard that was pretty crappy. It was really, REALLY small. I had to practically take the whole thing apart just to put in one DIMM of ram.

Now we have a VPR Matrix, which is basically Best Buy Brand. It's really good though. 512 megs of ram (I think), 1.8 GHz, and a GeForce 2. Or 3. I'm not sure.

A year and a half ago when I started college, my school gave me a Compaq laptop with 1.8 GHz processor, 40 GB HD, and a Radeon 7500 (I think.) But then I transferred out and had to give it back.

Now I have a Sony Vaio notebook.
-2.8 GHz Pentium 4
-512 MB of RAM
-40 GB hard drive, I want to get a 120 GB external one.
-Windows XP Home (I miss Pro! Crying )
-CD-R/RW/DVD ROM (the generic kind it came with)
-ATI Radeon IGP 345 M (What chipset is this based on? Confused )
-Generic Integrated Sound
-The original speakers sounded awful, so I got an Altec Lansing 2.1 with a powered subwoofer.
-Headphones that came with an ancient Discman
-Saitek Cyborg Evo joystick OoOoOo, pretty lights! (The 5th joystick I've had!)
-HP printer-scanner-copier
-Linksys wireless hub downstairs, Netgear PC card in my computer.

I would post a pic, but my camera seems to have gone for a walk.
A Clockwork Tomato 02-04-2004 10:01 AM
My first computer was an APPLE II+ with 48 K (that's kilobytes, not megabytes) of memory, one floppy disk drive, a green-screen monitor, and a "Paper Tiger" dot matrix printer. No modem. System cost: $3,000. I bought it in 1980, when I was in college. I borrowed the money from my parents.

I now have ... let's see ... three laptops (one very old), six PCs that are used on a regular basis (in a family of four), plus two that are configured but not powered up. Although we generally upgrade old computers, we sometimes by new ones, which is why the total number of units keeps increasing.

Also, I have purchased several old Pentium II computers from Oregon State University's surplus store for $19 apiece as "parts" computers, though they're usually missing just one component (memory, say, or the hard drive) and are otherwise fine. Not that a 233-MHz Pentium II system is anything very much, but $100 buys a motherboard, memory, and a CPU to make it pretty speedy.

My desktop machine is a generic mid-tower case with a Chaintech Zenith motherboard running a 1.6 MHz Athlon processor and 512 MHz of memory, with a mid-range nVidea graphics card, a CD-RW, a new DVD-RW, and nothing else of note on it. I use a Sun 19" color monitor (a really nice one) that I got surplus from OSU from $39 (what WERE they thinking?). Only 40 GB of hard disk space, but I'll have to upgrade that soon because I'm sucking so much video off my Big O DVDs.

I prefer the old-style IBM keyboards with the clickety-clack keys. Fortunately, I can get these used for next to nothing. Optical mice are very nice, too; much better than trackball mice. Getting the keyboard and mouse positioning correct for comfortable computer use is very important! Doing this wrong used to contribute to my problem with back pain (which has gotten a lot better since I moved to the country and am more physically active with outdoor chores).

I'm running Windows XP. I'm thinking about adding a second graphics card and monitor. I've done this before. I can put my main work on one monitor, and other stuff, like e-mail, on the other one.

My server is an old 500 MHz AMD-based system running NetBSD 4.1.2. I'll probably switch it to Linux one of these days, since it's more mainstream. I have a 640 kb/s DSL link.
Tony Waynewrong 02-04-2004 10:06 AM
My Computer is a HP Media Center 883n:

- 2.8 GHz. Pentium 4
- 512 MB of RAM
- 120 GB of HD and an external USB 120 HD.
- Dual boot: Windows XP Professional and RedHat Linux 9.0
- DVD+RW/CD Drive
- nVidia GeForce7 MX 420
- Generic Integrated Sound (Connected to my BOSE sound system)
- HP printer-scanner-copier d145
- HP Photosmart Camera 935
- 19" Monitor
TDF Studios 02-04-2004 12:58 PM
You think your huge desktops are powerful?

My handheld blows yours all away.

Specs. HP IPAQ 1946
-Pentium Xscale 300 Mhz Processor
-Bluetooth Card built-in
-Microsoft Windows Mobile Professional 2003 (Best there is)
-64 Mb SDRAM, 32 Mb Flash ROM
-3.5 Inch 240x320 16-bit Transflective TFT LCD Screen
-Removable, Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (Yeah, beat that)
-SD Slot
-USB Sychronizable
-Video Card...... it plays 3D graphics quite well actally....
-One Speaker... probably 20 Watt.... This thing is loud

This thing would probably rival our families second computer we had.
F-14Tomcat 02-04-2004 01:48 PM
Here's my desktop specs (I bulit it myself):

-Intel D845GEBV2 motherboard
-Pentium 4 processor at 2.53Ghz (With HTT)
-512Mb of ram (333mhz)
-60Gb Disk drive
-Cd-Rw drive (32x/12x/48x)
-Zip Drive (I don't know why I have this- I never use it lol)
-Tv Tuner card
-Built in graphics card (I need to buy an Agp card)
-Basic 56k modem
-Basic 16bit Sound Blaster sound card
-Basic stereo speakers, but they have a subwoofer output. I plug my 8" 175watt subwoofer into it....... Sounds great
-Windows 98 (I'm too cheap to upgrade)
-Basic keyboard
-Wireless optical mouse
-Old Mitsubishi moniter
-Antec case (Black)

It's a work in progress, but it's pretty good.

My laptop is a little Panasonic CF-M33 Toughbook
Krang 02-06-2004 11:04 PM
Here are the specs for my computer (which I built). It may be a little old, but I can't afford anything better right now...

Biostar M6TBA motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset)
Pentium III 800MHz
256MB SDRAM
2x Maxtor 40GB HDD
ATI Radeon 8500 (64MB)
Creative Sound Blaster PCI512
Windows 98SE
Pioneer DVR105 DVD-RW
Lite-On LTR-48125W CD-RW
Hauppauge WinTV-GO TV tuner
Realtek-based 10/100Mbps NIC
Imation floppy drive
Generic case
Compaq keyboard
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (optical)
17" Compaq MV720 monitor
Mike 02-07-2004 08:02 PM
PICTURES!!!

OK...ImageStation is having a fit again...Roll Eyes

Dingo 02-07-2004 09:51 PM
I really cant say what my computers specs are but i do say this... the only hardware upgrade its had is a 128 MB ram upgrade....

but just to let you know what im dealing with... when this computer was bought it still had the ytk compliant sticker on it.... and it was may 2000

also my parents bought it without consulting me so i blame them....

I COULDA BUILT A BETTER COMPUTER THEN THIS PEICE OF (insert bad word here)!

But nooooooo.... my parents thought it would be too expensive.... BULL!

I had a friend willing to give me all the parts i needed for free... but NO!

i have issues...
Piano Black 02-07-2004 10:09 PM
-AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (underclocked to a 2200 because of the wrong FSB)
-Maxtor 160GB HDD
-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb
-Some crappy onboard AC97 sound
-384 PC133 (ew)
- some old quad speed cd drive
-a floppy drive!
-WinXP Pro (bootleg)

Did anyone ever buy something and there was something different in the box? It happened with my video card. I purchased a Radeon 9600SE and got a 9600 Pro. Lucky me!
Dingo 02-07-2004 10:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Piano Black
Did anyone ever buy something and there was something different in the box? It happened with my video card. I purchased a Radeon 9600SE and got a 9600 Pro. Lucky me!

You told us this already....
dominusofdeath 02-08-2004 12:10 AM
right now my comp has viruses
i will post the stats when i get it fixed
fixed
i dont know wat kind of sound card i have
i have a AMD athlon xp 2600mhz processer(its running at 1250)
256mb of ram
radeon 9600pro
a 52x burner
a 56x cd-rom drive(not working(when i want to use it i have to re-install drivers))
a floppy drive
a 80gb harddrive
a a blue case with lights and stuff ill try to get a pic
TDF Studios 02-08-2004 04:48 PM
I promised I would get pictures....

This is where I spend most of my life.... Note that the plant on top of the desk is not really....

This picture came out really bad...... Too close with the camera... Settings too low (Remember that this is a 4.0 megapixel camera...) Anyways.. This is my Saitek Cyborg Evolution Joystick in all its glory... I have a really old one and a not so old one that killed the BIOS on my computer.....Don't ask how it happened...

The only good HP Printer in the 1990's... All the ones after it sucked. I'm not kidding.

Creative Sound System.... 75 Watt 2.1 System with Subwoofer. Note the Compaq monitor off our old computer. Also note that the black box on the top left hand side of the shelf above the monitor is the Big-O Complete edition... I am borrowing it from Shaoblane.... Also note the Windows Longhorn Professional Operating System....

This is my high proformance Antec Server case... 400 watt power supply, 3 case fans... Its got the works... Although the cabinet its sitting on is probably not Earthquake proof.... Sweatdrop

Not my best wiring job in the world, but come on, have you ever seen someones computer suck just because the wirings bad? Inside, try to pick out the LINKSYS G-wireless card, the ATI Radeon 9600XT 128Mb video card... (My old video Card, a ATI Radeon 8500 128Mb card, was sold already, I was selling it for $40) The SOYO Dragon Ultra P-4S Motherboard... The Western Digital 120 Gigibyte harddrive... The 400 Watt Power supply, and so on.

Again, another view of the Big-O Complete Edition DVD set on top of the shelf... The front door is open revealling a DVD-RW drive, a CD-RW drive, a Floppy, a ZIP 100 drive... And 4 USB 2.0 slots... All with Virtual LAN capabilites.... Also note again the Windows Longhorn Professional Operating System.... Their is also a headset on the shelf for those late friday nights playing halo and that special time every year at PDX LAN..... You may also notice the yellow sticker on the monitor... Thats the CD Key for the Clan Mech Expansion for Mechwarrior 4 Vengence....
Seraphim 02-08-2004 05:59 PM
Here are my stats:
---------------------------

Pentium 4, 2.0Ghz
80GB HDD
500Watt 5 Speaker stereo system + Subwoofer
48x CD Burner
Somethingx Regular CD Drive
19" Monitor
XP Pro
256MB RAM
64MB GeForce 4
evanASF27 02-08-2004 06:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Here are the specs for my computer (which I built). It may be a little old, but I can't afford anything better right now...

Biostar M6TBA motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset)
Pentium III 800MHz
256MB SDRAM
2x Maxtor 40GB HDD
ATI Radeon 8500 (64MB)
Creative Sound Blaster PCI512
Windows 98SE
Pioneer DVR105 DVD-RW
Lite-On LTR-48125W CD-RW
Realtek-based 10/100Mbps NIC
Imation floppy drive
Generic case
Compaq keyboard
17" Compaq MV720 monitor

O_______________O

HOLY CRAP!

..now then I better ask my dad what the stats for my new desktop are...

...Hold it...Dinner time Sweatdrop I'll ask him to tell me afterwards Embarrassed Sweatdrop Expect an update post ^^;;
Krang 02-21-2004 01:29 AM
Well, I finally had enough money, so I upgraded my computer recently. Here are the new specs:

Biostar M6TBA motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset) Intel D865PERL motherboard (Intel 865PE chipset)
Pentium III 800MHz Pentium 4 2.8GHz (with HT)
256MB SDRAM 512MB DDR SDRAM (dual channel)
2x Maxtor 40GB HDD
ATI Radeon 8500 (64MB)
Creative Sound Blaster PCI512 Onboard SoundMAX sound
Windows 98SE Windows XP Pro
Pioneer DVR105 DVD-RW
Lite-On LTR-48125W CD-RW
Realtek-based 10/100Mbps NIC Onboard Intel 100Mbps NIC
Imation floppy drive
Generic case Antec case w/ 350W power supply
Compaq keyboard
17" Compaq MV720 monitor

Maybe I'll post pictures eventually...
A Clockwork Tomato 02-21-2004 09:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by [TDF]DragonFire
I promised I would get pictures....

Wow, that's amazing! There aren't any tottering piles of paper anywhere! My computer areas don't look as neat as yours even on the first day.
TDF Studios 02-21-2004 11:33 AM
Actually, my desk usually looks like a disaster went through the room. We had guests coming over that week and so I cleaned it. I didn't post pictures of my computer with my first post because because in the picture, I had crap everywhere...
Mecha Kirby 02-21-2004 05:08 PM
ah, my baby is in my room its:

Dell XPS pentium 4 /3.0ghz w/ HT technology
memory is at 1024, but is running at 1000
120 GB harddrive
128mb geforce videocard
Nvidia soundcard
DVD RW
floppy
Broadband ready, no internet installed yet

thats all i can remember.

PS- I use Dark-o's cpu fro internet
opsnafu 02-21-2004 07:15 PM
I have my own computer company (I build my own custom computers). I hate intel and I hate dell.
my comp (this is not everything):
antec lanboy case
lite-on dvd/rw
lite-on dvd/cd rom
maxtor 20gb hard drive
maxtor 200gb hard drive
asus nforce2 ultra "a7n8x"
550 watt power supply
amd athon xp 2800+ "barton", 333 MHz fsb, 512 cache processor
sapphire ati radeon 9600XT, 256mb ddr
There is more but I don't feel like looking it all up. I LOVE HOW MY CASE HAS A BLUE LIGHT IN IT AND MY KEYBOARD HAS A BLUE LIGHT ON THE TOP!

EDIT: it's a 4x dvd+R