The Official Oscars Thread

Travis Bickle 01-27-2004 02:11 PM
Do you believe this crap?! Johnny Depp for Best Actor in Pirates of the Crappabean? No Matrix for Visual Effects? This is insanity! Anyway, here's the nominees:

See! it's an outrage! And I though the Grammys were bad!
The Baker St. Irregular 01-27-2004 02:23 PM
I like Johnny's performance. O____O

But the rest isn't crap, as you put it. Well... They left out all of the anime. Grr. But anywho...

Eleven for ROTK! I'm happy! Why not any in Cinematography or Sound Editing? Crazy. I hope we win this year!
Travis Bickle 01-27-2004 02:28 PM
The only anime movies that came out this year were Pokemon Heroes and Cowboy bebop. CB would have been nominated, but it only played in 15 theaters worldwide!

Yeah, yeah, Spirited Away won last year (which was a great movie), but I don't think we're gonna see any anime nominated for an Oscar for a long time. Unless you'ld like to hear pikachu's acceptance speach?!
Manji 01-27-2004 02:38 PM
I'm not suprised that the Matrix didnt get nominated, I don't think it was as visually insane as it couldve been. I am suprised that the Last Samurai is leading for "Best Sound", I kinda' thought it might be in the "Best Picture" category.
C.R Foxhound 01-27-2004 02:54 PM
Brother bear?

BROTHER BEAR!

get that garbage outta here

and of course the matrix doesnt get nominated, nothing mindblowing, the voters were probably laughing at how much a comeplete let down the movie was

and Johnny Depp was tight in Pirates of the Carribbean,dont hate

"Ya savvy?"
Sharpshooter005 01-27-2004 03:25 PM
quote:
and Johnny Depp was tight in Pirates of the Carribbean,dont hate

I'd always wondered what keith richards would have been like as a pirate, and that movie answered this question. +5 points.

The only two nominated aside from pirates of the carribbean that I've seen, are ROTK and master and commander.

Because I thoroughly enjoyed both, neither one will win. This is apparently the system they run by.
<\:/> 01-27-2004 03:36 PM
Screenplay - original:
Finding nemo

What the hell!! Finding Nemo was no where close to an original story. The only original part of the story was that the characters were fish and it took place in the ocean. I enjoyed watching it but it by no means had the best original screenplay this year.
BigPrime 01-27-2004 03:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemus
Screenplay - original:
Finding nemo

What the hell!! Finding Nemo was no where close to an original story. The only original part of the story was that the characters were fish and it took place in the ocean. I enjoyed watching it but it by no means had the best original screenplay this year.

Well, for it to be an adapted screenplay, it would have to be adapted from a specific work, such as a book or stage play. I honestly don't know about Finding Nemo. Was it based on a specific work or just a genre of stories? That's what the determining factor would be.
<\:/> 01-27-2004 03:49 PM
I know I know, technically it is original, but not really as far as I'm concerned.

Actually I heard that some French guy was planning to sue Pixar or Disney or whoever claiming that they stole his story for that movie. He had written a book called (in french) The Clownfish, and it was the same story as Finding Nemo. So maybe it really isn't original.

Edit: Ha! I was right! Look here: http://www.worldmoviemag.com/MovieMagazi...sdisneysued.htm
Nine Kuze 12-11-2006 03:32 AM
Well it was two years ago since Scott started this thread and over that time, hobbits with bootleg rings, female boxers, and over the top racists have won Best Picture at the Oscars.

Now, this is just my thing but I'm going to put up the biggest candidates who could be nominees for the six best known categories (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress). Remember, this with the influence of some reports I read but these are my own predications that I got at the moment. But I can guarnatee that most of this will actually be nominated when its comes to March next year and I know I've left out a couple of people but I'm trying to narrow it down here.

Best Picture:
- Babel
- Blood Diamond
- The Departed
- Dreamgirls
- Flags of Our Fathers
- Little Miss Sunshine
- The Queen
- United 93

Best Director:
- Pedro Almodovar (Volver)
- Bill Condon (Dreamgirls)
- Clint Eastwood (Flags of Our Fathers)
- Stephen Frears (The Queen)
- Paul Greengrass (United 93)
- Alejandro González Iñarritu (Babel)
- Martin Scorsese (The Departed)
- Oliver Stone (World Trade Center)

Best Actor:
- Ben Affleck (Hollywoodland)
- George Clooney (The Good German)
- Sasha Baron Cohen (Borat)
- Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson)
- Derek Luke (Catch a Fire)
- Peter O'Toole (Venus)
- Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness)
- Forrest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)

Best Actress:
- Annette Bening (Running with Scissors)
- Cate Blanchett (The Good German)
- Penelope Cruz (Volver)
- Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal)
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (Sherrybaby)
- Helen Mirren (The Queen)
- Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)
- Kate Winslet (Little Children)
- Renée Zellweger (Miss Potter)

Best Supporting Actor:
- Adam Beach (Flags of Our Fathers)
- Leonardo DiCaprio (The Departed)
- Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children)
- Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond)
- Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls)
- Jack Nicholson (The Departed)
- Brad Pitt (Babel)
- Michael Sheen (The Queen)

Best Supporting Actress:
- Juliette Binoche (Breaking and Entering)
- Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal)
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (World Trade Center)
- Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
- Rinko Kikuchi (Babel)
- Sophia Loren (Two Women)

Um, could someone move this to the Golden Maiyer Theatre and give it an official name like "The Official Oscars Thread" or something like that? Thanks.
Peace.
Big Money 12-11-2006 03:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

Best Picture:
- Babel
- Blood Diamond
- The Departed
- Dreamgirls
-Snakes on a motherf***ing Plane
- Flags of Our Fathers
- Little Miss Sunshine
- The Queen
- United 93

*ahem*
Nine Kuze 12-11-2006 03:13 PM
That darn Money and here I was trying to be serious with this.

But didn't Snakes on a Plane pretty much tank and not live up to the hype? And also, Mel Gibson's Apocalypto is getting some Oscar buzz as well.

EDIT: Did you at least vote for it in the AAA's for Best Motion Picture then?
Peace.
Big Money 12-11-2006 03:42 PM
Tank it did.

But it was still the best movie I saw this year.
Buck Buck #1 12-11-2006 09:11 PM
Is it sad that I haven't seen any of the movies that you mentioned...
Nine Kuze 12-12-2006 09:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Buck Buck #1
Is it sad that I haven't seen any of the movies that you mentioned...

Not really, because I haven't seen any of them either. But I've read through enough synopsises, reviews and heard enough feedback and opinions from people who've seen the movies to know what's up. Also, I'm pretty good at reading what the Oscars looks for, so yeah.

Like last year, the only movies I saw before the Oscars that were nominated were Capote and Crash. And Crash won.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 12-12-2006 10:15 AM
I'm not going to get into a whole thing here but...silent hill + some sort of technical award = If it takes bribes this needs to happen.
Buck Buck #1 12-12-2006 10:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
I'm not going to get into a whole thing here but...silent hill + some sort of technical award = If it takes bribes this needs to happen.

Pyramid Head for best supporting actor.

Also that's why I don't like the Oscars, they never nominate things that people actually watch, just things that they should watch.
Nine Kuze 12-12-2006 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Buck Buck #1
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

Also that's why I don't like the Oscars, they never nominate things that people actually watch, just things that they should watch.

Well, the Oscars awards and takes a look at "serious" filmmaking. I'm not trying to say that Silent Hill (other genre movies like this) isn't good filmmaking, I haven't seen it. I'm just saying that when you compare Silent Hill and something like Snakes on a Plane with oh say, On the Waterfront and Ben-Hur, the Academy is much likely obviously going to look at the latter of the two.

Um... I guess I know what you mean but I sort of tend to go for the Oscars more than say, the MTV Movie Awards. And I'm not sure what you mean about "should watch".

EDIT: Besides, a large portion of people watch those movies nonetheless here and abroad. I think its the people in our age that you think gives the impression that such movies don't actually cater to. I'm not trying to knock anyone for what films they watch (I don't deliberately mean to anyway) but I usually cater to the "kinds of movies" that the Oscars seem to pay attention to.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 12-19-2006 01:18 PM
quote:
I'm just saying that when you compare Silent Hill

Hence why I said 'technical award', I meant like...sound editing or something. I'm not yelling "BEST PICTURE DAMMIT" or anything

It still wont happen, I'm just saying...honestly if it DID I feel a case could be made

quote:

They came close when they nominated pirates of the carribean for a best actor award.

...Yeah I still haven't completely forgiven them
Hollow XXVI 12-19-2006 05:27 PM
...did Nine just compare Silent Hill to Snakes on a Plane...?