The Official Oscars Thread

Nine Kuze 12-20-2006 12:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
I'm just saying that when you compare Silent Hill

Hence why I said 'technical award', I meant like...sound editing or something. I'm not yelling "BEST PICTURE DAMMIT" or anything

It still wont happen, I'm just saying...honestly if it DID I feel a case could be made

Oh don't get me wrong Sharpie, I wasn't saying that at all. I'm trying to make a contrasting comparison to Buck's statement. He said that the Oscars cater to the movies that "people should watch and not what people SHOULD watch". I'm still not sure what he meant by that but I was just using Silent Hill as an example for two different spectres of quality of films.

quote:
quote:
Also that's why I don't like the Oscars, they never nominate things that people actually watch, just things that they should watch.

They came close when they nominated pirates of the carribean for a best actor award.

...Yeah I still haven't completely forgiven them

That stung didn't it? Well look at it this way, there's some real serious talk of Sasha Baron Cohen being nominated for Best Actor is this year. So yeah. And the important thing is, Johnny Depp didn't win for that in 2003.

quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
...did Nine just compare Silent Hill to Snakes on a Plane...?

No, but the worse thing I did was put those two in the same sentence with On the Waterfront. Johnny Friendly is going to kill me.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 12-20-2006 06:59 AM
quote:
look at it this way, there's some real serious talk of Sasha Baron Cohen being nominated for Best Actor is this year. So yeah

I could see this happening, and I could see a much more convincing case for it than "he did a really good 2 hour long impression of keith richards"
Nine Kuze 12-20-2006 12:45 PM

quote:
"Stella!" "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" "Snap out of it!" "You had me at hello." Dozens of the most memorable and quotable lines from motion pictures will share the 79th Academy Awards® poster canvas with Oscar (see picture below).

The commemorative poster features words and phrases that have become part of society's colloquial speech. "They are the unforgettable lines that you hear in everyday conversations, in meetings, at parties, or walking down the street," said Sid Ganis, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. "They tap into what we think and give us great shorthand ways to express how we feel about those things. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then each quote is worth at least 500."

All of the lines (see full list below poster) showcased in the poster except one are from films that have received an Academy Award® nomination for Best Picture, Writing, or both, between 1936 and 2005. (Finding the exception should be the first of many trivia contests that the Academy expects the poster to generate.)

The concept and design for the poster was created for the Academy by TBWAChiatDay Los Angeles. Photographer Albert Watson captured the Oscar statuette featured on the poster.

The 27x40 poster, printed on premium recycled paper, uses a black canvas and highlights the quotes in gold metallic ink, each in a distinctive typeface to reflect the movie it represents.

Looks damn cool and its giving me an idea...

Also, the films that I'm able to get the quotes for (off the top of my head) are from left to right and top to bottom:
Lawrence of Arabia, Brokeback Mountain, Sunset Blvd, Network, Forrest Gump, The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, On the Waterfront, The Lord of the Rings, Apocalypse Now, The Apartment, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Moonstruck, Field of Dreams, Dog Day Afternoon, Titanic, A Streetcar Named Desire, Star Wars, Gladiator, Wall Street, Jerry Maguire, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, ET, In the Heat of the Night, A Few Good Men, The Godfather, Jerry Maguire (again) and The Shining.

Oh my, that was fun.
Peace.
Hollow XXVI 12-20-2006 10:23 PM
Yay Silence of the Lambs, and close to the top too.
Nine Kuze 12-20-2006 11:04 PM
Also found Sideways just now, with the word "f***ing".

EDIT: Just saw Dr. Strangelove as well, Ben-Hur, A Few Good Men, Patton, and The Sound of Music. I think.

EDIT: I keep... editing this post for new films it looks like.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 01-23-2007 05:43 PM
HOT DAMN! The Oscar nominations are finally in. And yeah, I've been waiting for them to drop. Ask about meh.

quote:
Nominated for Best Picture:
- Babel
- The Departed
- Letters from Iwo Jima
- Little Miss Sunshine
- The Queen

Pretty good list, but it looks like Dreamgirls got snubbed.

quote:
Nominated for Best Director:
- Clint Eastwood (Letters From Iwo Jima)
- Stephen Frears (The Queen)
- Paul Greengrass (United 93)
- Alejandro González Iñárritu (Babel)
- Martin Scorsese (The Departed)

I'm saying this now; Martin Scorsese will win the Oscar. Once again, Eastwood is his toughest competition here with regards to the other three nominees but its going to come down to those two again.

quote:
Nominated for Best Actor:
- Leonardo DiCaprio (Blood Diamond)
- Ryan Gosling (The Departed)
- Peter O'Toole (Venus)
- Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness)
- Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)

Forest Whitaker. But he has to watch out for O'Toole, the Academy might give him the Oscar to make up for not giving him jack in seven tries (one of those sentimental Oscar wins I rant about from time to time).

quote:
Nominated for Best Actress:
- Penélope Cruz (Volver)
- Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal)
- Helen Mirren (The Queen)
- Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)
- Kate Winslet (Little Children)

Three words; Dame Helen Mirren. That is all.

quote:
Nominated for Best Supporting Actor:
- Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine)
- Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children)
- Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond)
- Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls)
- Mark Wahlberg (The Departed)

Wahlberg over Jack? Bad form Academy, bad form. But with Jack not nominated, this is pretty much Murphy's.

quote:
Nominated for Best Supporting Actress:
- Adriana Barraza (Babel)
- Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal)
- Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine)
- Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
- Rinko Kikuchi (Babel)

The smart money says Hudson, but then there's Blanchett who is just as viable to win again. And the wild card is Kikuchi. But its pretty much down to Blanchett and Hudson.

Here's the list with the rest of the nominees.
Peace.
seraphjei 01-24-2007 12:48 AM
Little Miss Sunshine probably won't win best picture although I pray to the gods of moviemaking it does win. Most likely The Departed will snag that one. It's a shame is a re-make. meh. I'm not impressed with the nominations. This year was such a drought.
Sharpshooter005 02-25-2007 10:27 PM
quote:
- Babel

I can't take hearing about this movie anymore, the show so far has seemed like the academy fellating the director and everyone who worked on it, down to the key grip.
Generalissimo D 02-25-2007 11:09 PM
Guess who won best director.
Sharpshooter005 02-25-2007 11:11 PM
This almost makes up for this:

quote:
Johnny Depp for Best Actor in Pirates of the Crappabean?

I mean sure it only took them two or three motherf***ing DECADES but finally it happened
The Fallen Phoenix 02-25-2007 11:25 PM
...all I have to say is that it's about time the Academy recognized Ennio Morricone.
evanASF27 02-25-2007 11:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

EDIT: Just saw Dr. Strangelove as well, Ben-Hur, A Few Good Men, Patton, and The Sound of Music. I think.

Peace.

Where was the Patton quote? ...I can't seem to find it....
Nine Kuze 02-26-2007 12:05 AM
Jack was bald? Also, Ellen was alright as host. Nothing special, but meh. I liked that John C. Reilly/Steve Carell and Will Ferrell number and the Dreamgirls performance was good as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie
Also if Scorsese wins I hope he takes the oscar and just beats the nearest person to death with it, while yelling "whos snubbing who now academy?"

Hopefully, that will be his next film. And it's about f***ing time, just took 26 years. Also, it was kind of a dead giveaway when they had Coppola, Lucas and Spielberg giving the award as well. But still, nice to see Scorsese finally get that Oscar.

quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
...all I have to say is that it's about time the Academy recognized Ennio Morricone.

That was cool too, as was his acceptance speech.

Also, just in case anybody was wondering who won and all:

Best Picture: The Departed
Best Director: Martin Scorsese (The Departed)
Best Actor: Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
Best Actress: Helen Mirren (The Queen)
Best Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine)
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Departed
Best Original Screenplay: Little Miss Sunshine
Best Cinematography: Pan's Labyrinth
Best Art Direction: Pan's Labyrinth
Best Editing: The Departed
Best Costume Design: Marie Antoinette
Best Visual Effects: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Best Makeup: Pan's Labyrinth
Best Animated Picture: Happy Feet
Best Documentary: An Inconvenient Truth
Best Foreign Picture: The Lives of Others (Germany)
Best Original Score: Babel
Best Original Song: Melissa Etheridge (An Inconvenient Truth)
Best Sound Effects: Letters of Iwo Jima
Best Sound Mixing: Dreamgirls
Best Short Picture (Animated): The Danish Poet
Best Short Picture (Live): West Bank Story
Best Short Picture (Documentary): The Blood of Yingzhou District

quote:
Originally posted by The Stoned Guest
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

Peace.

Where was the Patton quote? ...I can't seem to find it....

...funny thing Evan, I can't seem to find it now myself. But I think it's the "Shut up! Shut up and take the pain! Take the pain!" quote.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 02-26-2007 02:05 AM
quote:
I liked that John C. Reilly/Steve Carell and Will Ferrell number and the Dreamgirls performance was good as well.

Despite the fact that John C. Reilly is still dead to me, that was quite amusing yes

Also I'm not sure how to feel about peter o'toole losing. I haven't gotten to see last king of scotland yet (its supposed to be playing somewhere around here but wasn't last I checked)

Part of me was really afraid will smith would win, since we'd all have to collectively realize that the fresh prince of bel air just won an oscar instead of lawrence of arabia. That would have just been too surreal
Nine Kuze 02-26-2007 02:11 AM
quote:
quote:
I liked that John C. Reilly/Steve Carell and Will Ferrell number and the Dreamgirls performance was good as well.

Despite the fact that John C. Reilly is still dead to me, that was quite amusing yes

Also I'm not sure how to feel about peter o'toole losing. I haven't gotten to see last king of scotland yet (its supposed to be playing somewhere around here but wasn't last I checked)

Part of me was really afraid will smith would win, since we'd all have to collectively realize that the fresh prince of bel air just won an oscar instead of lawrence of arabia. That would have just been too surreal

Yeah, I like how Whitaker won since he had the best performance to me but I'm a big O'Toole fan myself and it does suck that he's gone 0 for 8 now in the Oscars.

Oh and don't worry about it Sharpie, Smith had no chance (and the way you put it... thank God he didn't). It was basically a showdown between Whitaker and O'Toole and we know who won that now. Ryan Gosling for Half Nelson was the serious dark horse and critics thought that if he was nominated for The Departed instead of Blood Diamond, DiCaprio would have had a much better chance (he wasn't going to win either way but yeah, he would have had a better chance nonetheless).

"HEY GOSLING! YOU MAY BE HIP AND NOW, BUT I'M GOING TO BREAK YOUR HIP... RIGHT NOW!" And lol, Reilly.

EDIT: One more thing; even though O'Toole's role in Lawrence was one of the best performances in history, he did lose to just a good performance in Gregory Peck's To Kill A Mockingbird. Just letting it out there if people are confused on why he didn't win of LOA.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 02-26-2007 02:19 AM
quote:
EDIT: One more thing; even though O'Toole's role in Lawrence was one of the best performances in history, he did lose to just a good performance in Gregory Peck's To Kill A Mockingbird. Just letting it out there if people are confused on why he didn't win of LOA.

Yeah I just saw the list of nominees for that year, I'd had no idea this was the case.

quote:
(and the way you put it... thank God he didn't)

I didn't honestly think he would, but then it dawned on me that...yeah. If he had it'd have been surreal
Nine Kuze 02-26-2007 01:18 PM
quote:
Originally from some article from MSN.com
Funniest Moment
"Ladies and gentleman, Academy Award-winning screenwriter Ben Affleck.

That was pretty funny, yeah.

quote:
quote:

Yeah I just saw the list of nominees for that year, I'd had no idea this was the case.

Just for fun and all that, here's how O'Toole's 0 for 8 tally looks like since 1962;

- 1962: (Lawrence of Arabia), lost to Gregory Peck (To Kill A Mockingbird)
- 1964: (Becket), lost to Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady)
- 1968: (The Lion in Winter), lost to Cliff Robertson (Charly)
- 1969: (Goodbye, Mr, Chips), lost to John Wayne (True Grit)
- 1972: (The Ruling Class), lost to Marlon Brando (The Godfather)
- 1980: (The Stunt Man), lost to Robert DeNiro (Raging Bull)
- 1982: (My Favorite Year), lost to Sir Ben Kingsley (Gandhi)
- 2006: (Venus), lost to Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)

So yeah, with the expection of probably 1968, O'Toole's pretty much just lost to better performances and has had some pretty bad luck (like Morgan Freeman as well).

quote:
quote:
(and the way you put it... thank God he didn't)

I didn't honestly think he would, but then it dawned on me that...yeah. If he had it'd have been surreal

"I'd like to give a shout out to Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv for putting up with me in Bel-Air. Also Carlton, Hillary, Ash I love you all and to my main man Jazzy Jazz. Holla!" *breaks out into the theme of Fresh Prince*.

Something like that scare you?
Peace.
Jonny Axehandle 02-26-2007 06:09 PM
My response (to what I did see): HOLY CRAP AL GORE GOT FAT. I'm guessing that he's hoping to be the next Michael Moore and taking it too far...

quote:
Best Animated Picture: Happy Feet

what