One Piece Appreciation Thread

Mr. Saturn 01-23-2004 12:27 AM
How many other people her like One Piece? I KNOW im not the only one. Both the Anime and the Manga are absolutely worth checking out. Sanji and Luffy are my favorites so far and Shanks kicks ass, I hope he shows up again.
Shredder 01-23-2004 12:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Saturn
How many other people her like One Piece? I KNOW im not the only one. Both the Anime and the Manga are absolutely worth checking out. Sanji and Luffy are my favorites so far and Shanks kicks ass, I hope he shows up again.

I'm a huge fan of One Piece (and I know Krang is, also). Big Grin As you can tell from my avatar, Mihawk is one of my favorite characters, although I really like all of the main cast (if I had to pick a favorite though, I'd probably say Sanji). I've seen 79 eps of the anime and am beginning to read more of the manga- I agree, this show is definately one to check out! Great mix of action/adventure/comedy and excellent characters. I can't imagine anyone NOT liking this show!
Patsai 01-23-2004 12:45 AM
Read the first chapter of the manga (through Shonen Jump). It's good enough that I want to see the others!

If it's Japanese highest-rated show on television, it's no doubt gonna be good.
Krang 01-23-2004 01:05 AM
Like Shredder mentioned, I'm also a huge fan of One Piece! I like everything about the anime, including its unique animation style, great soundtrack, and excellent storylines and characters. It's a show that appeals to everyone, so if anyone hasn't seen it, I definitely recommend checking it out!

I've also been reading the manga through Shonen Jump and enjoy it too, but the ads and occasionally inaccurate translation are a little distracting...
Kittie heavenly6 01-23-2004 05:54 AM
LOVE The one piece! I have a few fan sub episodes and a bunch of the Japanese manga. I even have a couple of Nami key chains ^_^
(My favorite charcter, along with Zoro)
CoCoaPuFF CatX 01-23-2004 11:29 PM
I love one piece but sadly i have never seen the anime?? were can obtain a few eps.?? o well anyways i read the manga through shonen jump so we have not met sanji but i like rorona so far luffy is ok but...... umf iono i still like him though! has anybody seen episodes with chopper??
Schoolie 01-24-2004 11:19 AM
I've heard great things about it, and that it's the hottest thing in Japan.

Will the anime ever come stateside?
Kittie heavenly6 01-24-2004 12:44 PM
For the time being, it's not available in the states. But I think Shredder said something about it being released over here to me once in another thread, Am I right Shredder?
Mr. Saturn 01-24-2004 11:33 PM
I remember a while ago I read about FUNimation getting the rights to One Piece, but recently something happened and they didnt so now its up in the air. Anyone else have anyother info on it?
Mugiwara Luffy 01-25-2004 01:33 AM
Yeah, Funimation alluded to One Piece at some convention so everyone thought they had the rights to it. Personally I think if Funi got it they would do a pretty good job (as long as they get the rights to the music too).

Also, there's supposed to be some One Piece game coming to Gamecube. At least, that's what it says in Nintendo Power. But it has been on the upcoming release list for months!
Shredder 01-25-2004 02:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GK Version 1
For the time being, it's not available in the states. But I think Shredder said something about it being released over here to me once in another thread, Am I right Shredder?

Yes, it was close to being released in the US, or so we thought. As Lt. Smith mentioned, everyone thought it was licensed by Funimation until it was recently revealed that they never had it in the first place. So it's still unlicensed as of now, and, in my opinion, that's a good thing. I can't picture a good dub for this show- for instance, can anyone who's seen the show picture any other voice for Luffy? Plus I don't think any good would come out of it airing on a block like Toonami- it would require a lot of editing in some places. I guess I just am not looking forward to the reputation of this show going downhill if whoever does get it turns it into a "kiddie" show, since I think it really has more of an "all-ages" appeal, not just for kids. Either way, though, I'll be enjoying the subs... Smile )

On a similar topic, I have heard rumors that an unnamed company is coming close to making a licensing deal for Naruto (another popular show in the same situation), but I don't know any specifics yet. Should be interesting to see who gets it and where it goes, considering OP and Naruto draw a lot of comparisons.
Patsai 01-25-2004 02:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
quote:
Originally posted by GK Version 1

Yes, it was close to being released in the US, or so we thought. As Lt. Smith mentioned, everyone thought it was licensed by Funimation until it was recently revealed that they never had it in the first place. So it's still unlicensed as of now, and, in my opinion, that's a good thing. I can't picture a good dub for this show- for instance, can anyone who's seen the show picture any other voice for Luffy? Plus I don't think any good would come out of it airing on a block like Toonami- it would require a lot of editing in some places. I guess I just am not looking forward to the reputation of this show going downhill if whoever does get it turns it into a "kiddie" show, since I think it really has more of an "all-ages" appeal, not just for kids. Either way, though, I'll be enjoying the subs... Smile )

I think ADV should get rights. They do an exceptionally good job with their dubs, and they don't mess around with the anime. It might air on a channel like TechTV or Showtime. Or it might air on Saturday on CN.

I agree with the fact that there will be tons of editing, but ADV is pretty responsible about keeping all-age anime from becoming a kiddie anime.
Krang 07-02-2004 12:31 AM
Just bumping this thread back up so that people can talk about the show itself again rather than the horrible licensing news. If all goes according to schedule, One Piece should make it to its 200th episode in Japan on July 25!

Oh, and one more thing...
Zola 07-02-2004 12:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Just bumping this thread back up so that people can talk about the show itself again rather than the horrible licensing news. If all goes according to schedule, One Piece should make it to its 200th episode in Japan on July 25!

W00t!

Congratulations! Smile
Kittie heavenly6 07-02-2004 12:43 AM
Yay! That's a great pic too.

We should use this as our General All Purpouse One Piece thread.
evanASF27 07-02-2004 01:29 AM
perfect pic for the occasion Krang! Big Grin Tongue Anime Smile Congrats! *tosses him a beer from the Neo-Speakeasy*
Mugiwara Luffy 07-02-2004 01:33 AM
Ah congrats Krang!

I got my new Shonen Jump the other day and, as always, One Piece was excellent. Captain Kuro was finally defeated, Usopp joined the crew, and they finally got a ship!
Yomiko 07-02-2004 11:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang

Congrats Krang! Big Grin That picture is in the Augest issue that Barrin got yesterday. Both Barrin and myself have been reading One Piece though Shonen Jump and we like it. But sadly we have no access to the anime way of it. Frown Also I'm bad with names so eairler when some of you people were saying some names I was like uhh...Tongue
dominusofdeath 10-02-2004 11:14 AM
I know it's an old thread but I woke up this morning and realized that it was 8:00 on a saturday so I decided to watch One Piece. It was really good.(despite being on teh FoxBox). So when I go to my dads I'm gonna check the manga out(hopefully) and I hope I can find some fansubs somewhere.....
JAYCZero 10-02-2004 11:55 AM
Man I just watch One Piece today and It's cool and Hilarious !
I got's to be Honest that show reminds me alot about
Krang , cause of his Avatar Lol. And I had no idea that
one of them Characters was Mr Fantastic with the Elastic
Body lol.