One Piece Appreciation Thread

Tickle Tickle 10-02-2004 12:47 PM
Well, I read some of the manga that just didn't click with me. But I watched one episode dubbed, and it seems really more fun that the manga. The art, the animation were very good, and the characters seemed more lively in the anime than in the manga. To me, One Piece is a story that is better animated.

It's too bad the acting, the music, well the whole dub sucks. I really want to see the Japanese version. If someone releases an uncut version I think I'm going to pick it up : )
Mugiwara Luffy 10-02-2004 01:15 PM
Yeah I've been watching it on the FoxBox since it's the only way I can actually see the anime. I'm really impressed with the quality of the animation, but it is ruined by the horrible music and bad voice acting (well, Zoro's voice is pretty good).

And that theme song is the most annoying thing I have ever heard!!! Mad
JAYCZero 10-02-2004 01:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Smith
Yeah I've been watching it on the FoxBox since it's the only way I can actually see the anime. I'm really impressed with the quality of the animation, but it is ruined by the horrible music and bad voice acting (well, Zoro's voice is pretty good).

Oh yeah yeah Lol with the Rap Music and The Pirate theme
I think it was Cool , but yeah it get's Corny with the Combination
dominusofdeath 10-02-2004 07:26 PM
Ok. I couldn't find Hellsing 4 at the bookstore I went to so I only got One Piece volume 1. It's so friggin awesome! It's better than awesome, it PWNS!
Kittie heavenly6 10-02-2004 07:41 PM
I always prefered the Manga to the Anime version. (I've only seen about 20 episodes or so of the anime however, and I own most of the series in Manga format. God bless Kinokuniya bookstores.)

I watched the Second episode of One Piece on FoxBox and that was enough for me. it was... god awful. And is it just me, or were they calling Zoro "Zolo"?

I was talking to a friend of mine at the time we were watching it and we decided now is the time to attack 4Kids. Ruin all the anime you want... You touch One Piece, we demand action!
dominusofdeath 10-02-2004 08:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
I always prefered the Manga to the Anime version. (I've only seen about 20 episodes or so of the anime however, and I own most of the series in Manga format. God bless Kinokuniya bookstores.)

I watched the Second episode of One Piece on FoxBox and that was enough for me. it was... god awful. And is it just me, or were they calling Zoro "Zolo"?

I was talking to a friend of mine at the time we were watching it and we decided now is the time to attack 4Kids. Ruin all the anime you want... You touch One Piece, we demand action!

They were calling him Zolo......
Krang 10-03-2004 03:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Super Umino
It's too bad the acting, the music, well the whole dub sucks. I really want to see the Japanese version. If someone releases an uncut version I think I'm going to pick it up : )

quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Smith

Exactly, which is why I recommend staying away from the FoxBox version. The voices are stupid and overexaggerated, the original music is replaced with generic trash, the opening is so idiotic that it's laughable, and worst of all is the script (corny jokes are added in every few seconds, and important plot elements from the original were removed). After seeing over 100 episodes of the original version, this one is just plain insulting. It doesn't matter much to me since I won't be watching this other than to occasionally laugh at the stupid edits, but it's just disappointing to know that there are people out there that have never seen the original One Piece anime and think it's just as corny and dumb as the 4Kids version.

But yes, I definitely recommend getting a hold of the original Japanese version of One Piece if possible, as it's nothing at all like that.
Schoolie 10-03-2004 01:40 PM
So, if they release a DVD stateside, will it be the edited version or will they have an uncut translation? I ask because there are edits and cuts to some anime on Cartoon Network, but then everything is still in the DVD's.

It's too bad this anime is getting the 4Kids/Fox treatment. It makes the show just like their other ones - like Pokemon, Shaman King, etc.
Mr. Saturn 10-04-2004 01:01 PM
Personally I haven't even bothered to take a look at the godawful dub that 4Kids has done. I don't plan to either, the thought of them butchering One Piece makes me want to vomit with rage. Ill stick to fansubs for the time being... ¬¬ I personally think that the manga is better. It made some of the more dramatic moments seem cooler. The manga made my favorite scenes stand out.

spoiler (highlight to read):
When Luffy is about to fight Kuro, "Since you hate to be punched, I'll hit you 100 more times!"

Zoro's fight with Mihawk.

And my personal favorite, when the Straw Hat Pirates bust into Arlong's place to go fight him. Big Grin "Which one of you is Arlong?"

Now that I think about it though, the anime did get those scenes pretty good. Especially the first one. The music and timing was really perfect. I refuse to watch the bastardizations of these genius scenes.

EDIT: Wait... there's something I have to know... other than "Zolo" have there been any other horrific name changes? Cause if they changed Luffy to Ruffy or something like that....
Kittie heavenly6 10-04-2004 01:19 PM
None that I caught in the episode I saw. I mean, Zolo Isn't SO bad just a translation error, but still it isn't his name...

How many of you would be interested in a new One Piece message board? Me and Krang were talking about it (Sorta) And I'm looking in to making one. I just want to make sure it will be worth the effort.
Mr. Saturn 10-04-2004 01:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
None that I caught in the episode I saw. I mean, Zolo Isn't SO bad just a translation error, but still it isn't his name...

How many of you would be interested in a new One Piece message board? Me and Krang were talking about it (Sorta) And I'm looking in to making one. I just want to make sure it will be worth the effort.

I so want in on that. It would totally be worth the effort I think.
Kittie heavenly6 10-05-2004 09:34 PM
Small Update: Me and Krang ARE working on it. Big Grin
elwood 10-09-2004 01:47 AM
you want the real thing, can you handle the real thing?, [...] the BEST fansubs, the real thing, up to ep 112 as of this microsecondIve got them downloaded, by the way do NOT waste your money buying the dvds from japan, even the official disk REALLY BITE on the subtitleing, on the other hand Kaizoku is so good it makes you want to cry. my family and I watch several episodes every night.
Elwood

[Edit: As much as I hate having to do this, I can't allow direct links to fansubs to be posted on the forums. Try searching on Google for "Kaizoku-Fansubs" instead. Wink --Krang]
Kittie heavenly6 10-09-2004 03:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by elwood
you want the real thing, can you handle the real thing?, [...] the BEST fansubs, the real thing, up to ep 112 as of this microsecondIve got them downloaded, by the way do NOT waste your money buying the dvds from japan, even the official disk REALLY BITE on the subtitleing, on the other hand Kaizoku is so good it makes you want to cry. my family and I watch several episodes every night.
Elwood

[Edit: As much as I hate having to do this, I can't allow direct links to fansubs to be posted on the forums. Try searching on Google for "Kaizoku-Fansubs" instead. Wink --Krang]

Yep, can't talk about it on THIS board Wink
(wait for it, wait for it)
Tickle Tickle 10-09-2004 08:36 AM
Err, I'm watching the dub right now. And I just heard Shanks..

Don't watch any dub episodes with Shanks in it. Trust me. It's not worth it.
dominusofdeath 10-09-2004 10:03 AM
quote:

His dub voice is as bad as Ash Ketchem!
IanC 10-09-2004 11:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath
quote:

So its good then? (since ashs voice is pretty good.)
Tickle Tickle 10-09-2004 08:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IanC

That depends. When the dub first started, Ash sounded like a little boy. Now, Ash sounds like a little girl who smokes.
dominusofdeath 10-09-2004 09:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IanC
quote:
quote:

I mean the new Ash Ketchem......As Umi-chan stated the "Smoking Girl" voice......
Mugiwara Luffy 10-09-2004 11:47 PM
quote:
quote:

I liked Ash's voice! For about one season...then it got annoying.

I haven't seen this episode with Shanks in it yet (I have it on tape) but now I am afraid to watch it (yet somewhat curious). I guess I will eventually subject myself to this torture. That way I can come back here and complain!

Damn you 4Kids!!! Mad