What is trolling?

Piano Black 01-20-2004 01:18 PM
Never did know what it meant.
Pygmalion 01-20-2004 01:36 PM
"Trolling" is posting inflammatory statements in the hopes of getting people riled up. It takes its name from the idea of a fisherman trolling for a bite.

Pygmalion
evanASF27 01-20-2004 01:46 PM
so...basically...alot of what LupinIII posted.

(He was a rude b@st@rd he was in the brief time I 'knew' him)

((funny I actually never knew what that meant either O_O;;; Oh well, you learn new things everyday Roll Eyes )
C.R Foxhound 01-20-2004 01:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
"Trolling" is posting inflammatory statements in the hopes of getting people riled up. It takes its name from the idea of a fisherman trolling for a bite.

Pygmalion

yea, what she said

perfect example

gamefaqs.com

and "flooding" is just creathing thread after thread for no reason

um,im sure you knew that
Advinius 01-20-2004 01:50 PM
... alternately, in some realities, in involves slumming in the metahuman districs of your local city. *grin*

but yeah, what Pygmalion said. basically, its seeing how many responses, preferably irate, one can get from a single comment.
Jonny Axehandle 01-20-2004 05:26 PM
Trolling is Spaming and Flaming at the same time. Ex:

"This is a stupid topic and should be locked"
Zopwx2 01-22-2004 05:52 PM
isn't that like if I go to a Diablo 2 forum and start threads that say "diablo 2 sucks" just to make people mad....
Wingnut 01-22-2004 08:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
isn't that like if I go to a Diablo 2 forum and start threads that say "diablo 2 sucks" just to make people mad....
Yep.
Racial slur remarks and religous attacks are also major trolling topics.
F-14Tomcat 01-23-2004 01:31 AM
Real world example:

The topic of this thread is "Inu-Yasha Lovers, Unite!" --------->Trolling in action

[Edit: The post in the link above was removed. There's a real world example of moderating in action. Tongue --Krang]
Seraphim 01-23-2004 09:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2

Wouldn't it be alright, though, if you stated your reasons for why Diablo 2 sucked? That way, it would be more of an intelligent remark than an insult.
Lupin IV 01-27-2004 08:43 PM
yes, if you gave actual, supported reasons, and dont post and post the same thing over again, then i don't see the harm, I mean, everyone has opions. Even so,if you sign up to a forum about something just to deliberatley start going off on how it sux, you're really just wasting time. How would you like it if some guy came here while we're trying to talk about big o, and he starts going off "big o suxks major, because:" and then starts giving his reasons. You don't want to hear that, and neither does anyone else. The main reason, I hope Big Grin , you joined this forum, is because like me, you want to share in how great this anime is.

BTW, anyone wanna see trolling in action? Go to www.gamefaqs.com go to the Ngage system message board, and look for threads by the name "Great Pudding" - that ish me, and boy, you wouldnt be dissapointed. Its a good thing I dont act that way here Roll Eyes
evanASF27 01-28-2004 01:27 AM
Oh do you REALLY want to see what trolling is here? Wink

Go and find a certain "Hentia" (sp?? ^^;; ) thread here started by LupinIV's 'ex-dad' LupinIII Big Grin (He was later banned and disowned from the family) hehehehee

You can't search his username since it's gone for good...he started causing trouble every since he got here except for a few rare occassions.
As a Lupin once said "And BAH FR**KIN RIDENCE!! Big Grin "

((Notice how I'm no longer chasing LupinIII...I've set my goals at two people now. Alex Rosewater (Big Fau) and LupinIV (LupinIV) Evil ))
Dude Love 01-28-2004 11:09 AM
A good example of trolling would be Commander Amaro's posts in this thread. However, people took peaceful, but funny, vengeance against him (*cough*Pygmalion*cough*).

Also, Evan. Lupin III's username still exists. Its just that he can't use it for anything. However, you can search for it. In fact, according to it, the last thread he posted in was the thread you mentioned. Someone made a thread a few months ago pointing it out.
evanASF27 01-28-2004 11:39 AM
Thing is...I tryed searching "LupinIII" under username, and it said "This Username does not exist" ....... soo........ Roll Eyes
Dude Love 01-28-2004 11:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Thing is...I tryed searching "LupinIII" under username, and it said "This Username does not exist" ....... soo........ Roll Eyes

That's because there's a space or an underscore or something. Here he is. The ultimate troll ever.

Don't feed the trolls.
Lupin IV 01-28-2004 11:52 AM
Damn you, Wienberg, you beat me to it Big Grin
Anyway, yeah, thats his famous thread...my final post, personal business, has now become classic Smile )
Zola 01-28-2004 01:05 PM
Trolling as a fishing term means to trail a baited line, like from a boat that moves slowly, much like when you tempt a kitten with a toy and you drag it slowly across the floor until the kitten pounces.

It's great imagery for trolling in the web sense, though. The troll post is in a sense the "bait" being dangled in front of all us fishies and the troll is hoping for a "bite" so they can "catch" someone.

This is different from someone who just likes a good debate or wants to hear what a lot of different people think because the troll is only interested in manipulating people and usually doesn't care about the issue at all.

Then there are the flame warriors... which one are you? Wink
BM6a 01-28-2004 03:25 PM
nice, Zola. That's why I bailed out on the Adult Swim boards. Too many flame wars, too many people wanting to start stuff when they have no clue what they are talking about... esp. about Big O, and InuYasha. I can't recall the number of times I quoted a section of the FAQ in my responses... I agree completely with Wingnut's sig about board members behaving professionally...
Zopwx2 01-28-2004 06:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

That's because there's a space or an underscore or something. Here he is. The ultimate troll ever.

Don't feed the trolls.

Haha! his website is the Christian Broadcasting Network....

quote:
Originally posted by BM6a
nice, Zola. That's why I bailed out on the Adult Swim boards. Too many flame wars, too many people wanting to start stuff when they have no clue what they are talking about... esp. about Big O, and InuYasha. I can't recall the number of times I quoted a section of the FAQ in my responses... I agree completely with Wingnut's sig about board members behaving professionally...

They recently totally revamped the boards and are enforcing a strict "13+ or ban" policy. Its not a great forum, but its getting better.
Lady Tesser 01-28-2004 06:25 PM
'Trolling' is also a police term ('trolling for blues') for intentionally setting one's self up as bait for perps - means the same thing as an online troll baiting people into the fight.

Trolls want attention, and when they receive the negative attention, they try to play it off as being prosecuted. Those are the worst types.

Of course, there are some here who outright do it because they think it's funny to be sadistic to others. I'll never understand the psychotic mindset. Roll Eyes