The all purpose Kenshin thread

Ace of Spades 02-13-2004 09:54 PM
I was browsing around online several weeks back. And there is a web site that sells two kinds of reverse blade katanas for under $100.00 cool..isn't it.
IamRogerSmith 02-13-2004 11:45 PM
That's awesome... but I've NEVER seen a QUALITY sakabatou. NEVER. And I've seen quite a few at weapon shows.
Ace of Spades 02-14-2004 12:43 PM
If you're interested in seeing snapshots of them the
website is swordsonline.com, look under Oriental swords. MMMMkay
Big Money 02-19-2004 07:58 PM
*uses magic powers to resurrect thread*

I was doing some MFL related research today, and out of boredom googled "Hanya."

Now, Hanya is a total badass, and it sucks that he bites it so early on in the series, but that isn't what I'm posting this for. It turns out that a Hanya, or, rather, a Hannya, is the vengeful spirit of a dead woman that is transformed into a deamon in Noh theater. And, yes, the mask he has in the show is a Hannya mask. Comments?
Patsai 02-19-2004 08:41 PM
I like the anime, but what turns me off about it is the lacking power in the American voice acting. It just doesn't seem believable with the voices kind of out of place. I mean, when some of the character screaming in pain, in sound more like they got a scrape on their knee like it didn't really hurt, but stung. Sorry I couldn't give you guys a better explaination, but just so you guys understand.
NVWC2006 02-21-2004 04:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IamRogerSmith
Okay, I'm just going to give you guys the definitive answer since you keep fancyfooting around maybes and such:

spoiler (highlight to read):
In Volume 4, The Cross Shaped Wound, When Kenshin finally ends up fighting that largemanleaderguy he is already severely wounded. Considering the guy actually lasts quite a few rounds fighting dear Ken, he kicks the crap out of Ken some more. When Ken is to unleash his final attack, his wife (Listen to both the accurate TV and Samurai X - Reflection translations, Kenshin did consider Tomoe as such) Tomoe steps in because though Kenshin's attack would have succeeded, Kenshin would have died in the process. Tomoe recognizes this and out love (and probably a hefty ammount of guilt) steps in fully aware that she might die to insure that Kenshin lives. Because Kenshin was so wounded when he attacked with all his heart (and thus greif as well) he could do not but charge with Tomoe's shawl still rapped around his neck and his vision blurred believing in his final strike and thus never even saw Tomoe (except in his heart/mind) until his vision had cleared and he had killed her.

Edit: Tomoe was not dying before any of this happened.

Question:
spoiler (highlight to read):
Though I have not seen the OVAs or read and mangas, the way I understood it was the several explosions were used to blind and deafen Kenshin temporarily while people attacked. He was going in for a final kill with nearly no senses, when he suddenly smells the scent of Tomoe, and accidently slices through her while killing his enemy
I also understood that Tomoe had married Kenshin out of some thing with the govt., cause she was living in Kenshin's military home thing for a while and that she was an enemy and would otherwise be killed.
X.X

I'd love to have a reverse blade sword. I practice Hiten Mitsurugi attacks with yard sticks on my friends. I like running at them and taking a big step forward with me left foot yelling "THE HITEN MITSURUGI STYLE AMA KAKERO RYU NO HIRO MEKI!!!!"

Our favorite Dominus' voice actor also happens to play our favorite sweatgland-less menace Shishio. I wish Shishio said "It's showtime" at some point, just so I could imagine him piloting Big O or some other megadeus..

I didn't know anything about Hannya. All I wondered was why he wore that freaky mask... And how Kenshin didn't just zip around and slice him in the back real quick.
Stampede 02-21-2004 05:10 PM
Yup, yup... Spike-O gets around. Not quite as much as Wendee Lee does, though.
seraphjei 02-21-2004 07:35 PM
kenshin used the kempo stance to mesure the length of hanya's arm and from there all kenshin had to do was time his blow correctly and hit him. it would have been easier if the dude didnt have the horizantal lines runnin down his sleeves. And another question comes to mind if kenshin didn't learn the ama kakeru ryu no hiromeki i dont think he could'nt have beaten shi-shio. just my opinion of course
Asirt 11-13-2006 10:11 AM
Filled with action! Adventure! And Fun!

------------------

I've seen quite a few episodes of Rurouni Kenshin when it still aired on Toonami. I've also seen the Samurai X OVAs as well. I especially liked "Reflections"; very fitting ending for Kenshin.

[Holy thread resurrection, Batman!]
David Ryder 11-13-2006 01:32 PM
Oh snap! A kenshin thread!? I love Kenshin, and it's one of my top five. Having seen it when it was first released on DVD by Media Blasters. Kenshin is one of those shows, that despite it's 90+ episodes, it's actually good, but the three season was pretty weak. Speaking of CN, man they defiled it, set it one fire, buried, dug it up and then defiled it yet again. Some of the edits where meh but some of them where just plain silly. And I'm the only on that thinks this, but Steven Blum was a total miscast as Shishio.
Paradigm Dog 11-13-2006 02:26 PM
The OVA/Movie "Trust and Betrayal" is a masterpiece--the series pales in comparison and to capitalize on the momentum (I know the TV series was created first (after the manga), but the OVA sets up for a much better series). The series, itself, is too disjointed and uneventful, though it does have great characters and a few great moments. The Shishio/Saito saga is the best. But it lacks the emotional punch it could have had.

Yes, I think Steve Blum might ahve been a mistake for Shishio.
David Ryder 11-13-2006 02:33 PM
Hmmm. As far as the OVA's are concerned, yeah, they are decent in my opinion, but the third one was a crime against mankind. As for the OVA dub...it's ok then again it's ADV and I find most of their work to be rather average at best, but it was nice that it went to Monster Island (ADV's bastard son of a dubbing studio, mostly getting C rate shows).

And on the subject of Steven Blum. yeah he's a good voice actor, but there are better choies for Shishio. Casting Blum almost seemed like stunt casting. I can just see the ADR directors, "Ok gang, shishio has a calm, and cool with a violent side, lets save time and just give blum this role and it will make the blum fanboys happy."
Sara Comatori 11-15-2006 06:03 PM
I have the whole Kenshin series on DVD, But there Japanese. I watched all of it and the 3rd Season sucks, except the episode were Sano finds the dog and the first episode with the Chinese Monk, the rest was crap.

There are to many Kenshin fangirls thou. They all like Sano and Kenshin, Aoshi too. Not many Saito but still a few...

No love for Jin-e. He's Watsuki's favorite character...Because he's INSANE!!

I LOVE JIN-E!!!
Hollow XXVI 11-15-2006 07:10 PM
Yes, Steven Blum was horrible for Shishio. I hate that guy and don't even know him. I don't keep up with VAs or anything.

Also yes, CN ruined it..why wouldn't they? I love how they cut out the whole Jinei suicide thing, and I asked my good pal what the hell happened because Jinei just kind of...fell over and Kenshin told Kaoru "call the police" so..I had no idea what went on, lawlz.

Season 3 was weak because it was filler. Anime studio rushed the series to catch up with Watsuki..and did, but passed him quite quickly. So they made a new villain themselves, for season 3...and it was just terrible, yes. I blame Sony. Series was canceled shortly after. I blame Sony.

I only liked the Shishio/Kyoto arc portion of the anime, since the stuff beforehand seemed rushed. I don't even bother to watch the third season..

There are tons of Kenshin fangirls, yeah. Oh god I don't even want to get into that... But at least they don't seem to like mummy men who've been shot in the head set on fire and left to die. Still have to deal with the Saitou ones though.
FlashBoy 11-17-2006 08:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
Yes, Steven Blum was horrible for Shishio. I hate that guy and don't even know him. I don't keep up with VAs or anything.

Also yes, CN ruined it..why wouldn't they? I love how they cut out the whole Jinei suicide thing, and I asked my good pal what the hell happened because Jinei just kind of...fell over and Kenshin told Kaoru "call the police" so..I had no idea what went on, lawlz.

Season 3 was weak because it was filler. Anime studio rushed the series to catch up with Watsuki..and did, but passed him quite quickly. So they made a new villain themselves, for season 3...and it was just terrible, yes. I blame Sony. Series was canceled shortly after. I blame Sony.

I only liked the Shishio/Kyoto arc portion of the anime, since the stuff beforehand seemed rushed. I don't even bother to watch the third season..

There are tons of Kenshin fangirls, yeah. Oh god I don't even want to get into that... But at least they don't seem to like mummy men who've been shot in the head set on fire and left to die. Still have to deal with the Saitou ones though.

Finally someone I can relate too. I wanted to know what happened too. I got the Manga and finally saw that he stabbed himself. That makes more sense...

I call todays dubbing the "Soccer Mom effect"
David Ryder 11-17-2006 09:37 PM
CN had nothing to do with the dubbing. It was released on DVD years before CN picked it up, but then again I saw it all uncut before CN hacked it to death with an axe.

quote:

This would be true, if it had actual merit. Dubbing of today is light years ahead of yester year and again CN has very little to do with dubbing of the shows they put on.
FlashBoy 11-21-2006 02:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
CN had nothing to do with the dubbing. It was released on DVD years before CN picked it up, but then again I saw it all uncut before CN hacked it to death with an axe.

quote:

This would be true, if it had actual merit. Dubbing of today is light years ahead of yester year and again CN has very little to do with dubbing of the shows they put on.

This is know. Due to the content of Animes and the common in the Dark Ages parent. Anime is dubbed down so much that you don't even understand it anymore. 4Kids is a nice living example. They turned the awesome One Piece series into a laughing stock. The same goes for Rockman EXE. Shopro left out episdoes all together. I don't know why though.

I know there called "4kids" but kids these days do to Movies and under censored TV has made things like alot of blood normal. But the sexual themes. Those are okay to dub. Just make an uncut version so those who like the original can get it without having to read subtitles.
David Ryder 11-21-2006 02:57 PM
No doubt 4kids butchers the stufff they get but, in all honesty I can't feel sorry for the fans of those shows. If people don't want their shows to be butchered, then tell the japanese companies to stop licensing their shows to 4Kids. Until they stop, 4Kids will just keep butchering shows. The Japanese companiese should know who and what 4Kids are know for.
Hollow XXVI 11-24-2006 04:38 AM
You all also have to understand that some of the japanese companies fear boycotts and such, so 4Kids is a very good company to use.

If Pokemon hadn't been cut up by 4Kids for instance, who knows how many soccermoms would have rallied against Nintendo, 4Kids, and any company associated with Pokemon.

I know it sucks but it needs to be done.
X Prime 11-24-2006 10:55 AM
Though the Team Rocket entrance was hilarious.