Last Exile

Schwarzwald 01-12-2004 01:14 PM
Ahhh... another great anime coming to america....

I have dvd one and go tthat funky collectors pack... the mouse pad is clearly worth the extra 15$

ANyway... I like the art in this alot.... it seems like a mix of Skies of arcadia (Woot!) with the flying sky ships and armadas and has a darker look like Panzer Dragoon....

The story in Dvd 1 doesn't get very far... you still don't know what the last exile is...... but you can get a good feel for who the main characters actually are...

The beginging does start off pretty quickly and may get you confused but as you watch though the other epiosdes it would become more clear... you may need to watch the first epiosde more than once though...

The main characters are personal dilevery workers and racers... the races are alot more exiting than the stuff shown in that horrible epiosde 2 of star wars...

Actually much is left unknown and not really put into detail... it sometimes can leave you blank thinking why... but later its acceptable and lets you get into it...

the 4th epiosde is where the real story begins... although much of what they are trying TO do is left unknown...

Yeah alot of this needs to be paid attention to... but its understandable even teh first time if not to the full extent...

I would say thier pacing of the story is a bit to quick... but the art is good and with what they have done so far it can turn out pretty well...

Anyone else see Last Exile?
Tifaria 01-12-2004 10:12 PM
I saw Last Exile not too long ago! I really like it. The art is fantastic, the animation is pretty fluid from what I saw, and the story has gotten me interested. I really like the main characters. They seem like cool kids-- I'd hang out with them. Smile )

I only saw it subtitled-- have you listened to the dub? Is it any good? We primarily listen to dubs in my house because my brothers don't like reading the subtitles-- there are some series we will make exceptions for, though.
Mr.Grudge 01-12-2004 11:44 PM
I've seen up to episode 6 so far. I like it but the world is confusing me, just where is the ground? Even the cities appear above the cloud layer and no one goes below it. Is there no surface to this world?
Seraphim 01-12-2004 11:47 PM
Hm, I've never seen or heard of this. What's it about?
Bismarck 01-13-2004 01:26 AM
I bought the Last Exile fist DVD with the Box. All I have to say that is that it is an excellent anime. Its very enjoyable and the story reels you in. The dub is very good but I haven't seen the entire series yet so I can't determine if its consistent. But I think that it will be.
StevieV019 01-13-2004 11:29 AM
See, Ive been reluctant to dive into the series, because, much like the rest of us...I havent heard or seen enough to buy it...I thought the art looked beautiful, and with the story taking place airborne (Ive always loved gunships, aircraft, etc. etc.) it may be interesting...dont know whether to get it or not....
Schwarzwald 01-13-2004 04:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Hm, I've never seen or heard of this. What's it about?

(refer to first post)

Hm? Where did you see a subtitled version... I only have the first dvd with that Box set stuff... (NEVER TAKE THE FIGURE OUT OF THE BOX..... not saying i have but... DONT) ...... yeah..... I have only seen summerys of the epiosdes.... If I can find the link agian I can post it later...
IamRogerSmith 01-13-2004 04:57 PM
Last Exile is easily one of my favorite series I have seen over the past year. I did a review of it on my website:

http://www.palioxis.com/index.php?go=rev...e/lastexile.htm

I saw the fansubbed version that was produced as the show was being aired in Japan and it absolutely knocked my socks off.

The DVD dubbing is good/excellent (as it was said: we'll have to see from DVD to DVD how consistant the quality is; knowing the production crew I'd put my money on it being a winner), andDEFINATELY worth watching if you don't like reading subtittles. Thankgod the set came with the DVD release schedule - you can trust that I will have each of those DVDs the day they're released ;D Range Murata (one of my favorite artists) did the character concepts for Last Exile and the mousepad is just further proof of how much he rules. Smile

As for the figure in the box set, I put mine on my shelf with my other anime figures... the stand is sort of annoying (balance issue), however, easy to use. I don't really care about the value of a box set/figure being still in box... I get more enjoyment out of it being on my shelf and looking at it every day! Smile
Schwarzwald 01-13-2004 06:11 PM
Score! I found a site with bittorrents!

actually thats nothing to be proud of... for for you being able to get the information tehre has to be someone who has already downloaded it online... with the program up...

*nods head*
wonder... wonder if they have a temp server... hmm... hopefully it can work SOMETIME...

*nods head*
*nods head*
If you want the link to the site PM me... for I am not sure about its legalaites.... probably an evaulation 24 hour deal....
Schoolie 01-13-2004 09:36 PM
Last Exile - Look BEAUTIFUL! It's on my "want to see" list. Do any of these have a chance of coming on television like CN?
Tifaria 01-14-2004 07:20 AM
Yeah, the version I saw was the fansub as it was being released. I'd say it has a pretty good chance of being aired, unless there's some bad stuff later on-- I only saw about the first five episodes or so. I'll definitely have to look into buying the DVDs for myself. Smile )
StevieV019 01-14-2004 07:23 AM
The art looked beautiful in the different ads and on the back of the DVD box I checked out...so there's no question itll be good looking. The premise behind it seems cool as well...its on my list of things to see as well...however, I havent fully decided yet....keep us updated if you catch any more episodes...please.
IamRogerSmith 01-14-2004 03:07 PM
I've seen the entire series - what did you want to know about it?

There is absolutely nothing which would prevent it from being aired (*unless someone has a problem with the Dio scene, which CN might, despite the lack of blood) and I hope that everyday everyone gets to see this, at the least go b.t. it!
StevieV019 01-14-2004 03:25 PM
Is it comparable to anything? And is it a worthwhile purchase? Basically, if its not too much trouble, a "review" would be appreciated...

Will it go down in the annals of anime history as one of best ever or is it just average?
Thanks...
Schwarzwald 01-14-2004 04:27 PM
Other than my first post...

here is a much better review by Iamrogersmith... posted this earlier...
http://www.palioxis.com/index.php?go=rev...e/lastexile.htm

*looks for website*
http://halo-productions.com/LastExile/

here is a great website about it...

Personally... the setting seems like a... more adult like Castle In the sky.... I haven't seen much of the story(or atleast the main story) But I think the characters are made VERY well.... unqie looks and personality...

Even the extra charaters seem to have had been taken care of just as much as the main characters...

The animation is smooth and look atractive with all of the backrounds...
It all gives a good feel of the world....

You should check out some fansubs if you are still unsure from those reviews or the website.... pm me if you want the link...although... don't count on downloading it quickly....
StevieV019 01-15-2004 12:00 PM
'ppreciate the help...thanks!
IamRogerSmith 01-15-2004 02:19 PM
Yeah, I sorta expected that you read the rest of the thread there... ;p

And as I said re: the characters: Range Murata is the man.
Schwarzwald 02-04-2004 08:26 PM
Hey guess what?!

Last Exile is coming to Techtv In March!

I suggest everyone see this if they can... I mean if you don't like the story the art is great reguardless... only the first 13 epiosdes will be shown... but still... thats half the series... the rest will come early 2005(I am pretty sure)

Here is a link to techtv's announcement.

http://www.techtv.com/animeunleashed/sto...3604400,00.html
Schoolie 02-04-2004 09:10 PM
Nuts, I don't get TechTV.

No matter. I'll probably go buy the DVD's. It just looks that good!
Mr.Grudge 02-05-2004 12:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by IamRogerSmith
(*unless someone has a problem with the Dio scene, which CN might, despite the lack of blood)!

I'm on episode 13, has this certain "objectionable" scene happened yet or do you just think they may have a problem with that character in general?