[Suggestion] Allow users to rate fanfics

Pythagoras 12-28-2003 11:14 PM
There are so many fanfics on this site that it would be nice to see some sort of ratings system to help everyone sort out their favorites.
Zopwx2 12-28-2003 11:33 PM
I don't read fan fics, but it would be interesting if they could,

But then again it could be abused by spammers who didn't ever read it who just keep giving low ratings to everyone, so our current system of just replying to them and giving our opinions, like in a guest book is still the best.
Krang 12-29-2003 01:06 AM
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to set up a ratings system that only allows forum members to vote. Maybe I could even have the script check to see if the member has some posts already to make it harder for people to sign up with multiple accounts just to vote. What does everyone think?
Kittie heavenly6 12-29-2003 01:20 AM
I think that's a great idea.
It will help people choose wich fics to read.
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to set up a ratings system that only allows forum members to vote. Maybe I could even have the script check to see if the member has some posts already to make it harder for people to sign up with multiple accounts just to vote. What does everyone think?

...Isn't there already a thread rating system that woirks that way? Just use that and add a && $wbbuserdata['userposts']>="1" to the if tag?
Krang 12-29-2003 01:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
...Isn't there already a thread rating system that woirks that way? Just use that and add a && $wbbuserdata['userposts']>="1" to the if tag?

Yeah, but the problem with that is that there would have to be a forum thread for every fanfic (some already have one, but most don't). I'm working on a script that's separate from the forums but uses the user database and login page to authenticate the user.
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Yeah, but the problem with that is that there would have to be a forum thread for every fanfic (some already have one, but most don't). I'm working on a script that's separate from the forums but uses the user database and login page to authenticate the user.

Ahhhh. Sounds interesting. And to boot it wouldn't lag the forums.
Zola 12-29-2003 01:47 AM
I think it's a good idea. It would be nice if the rater could leave a comment, and if the comment was a required field, it would make it really easy to allow feedback from someone who had an honest criticism to make. If someone just wrote "it sucks" then it would be obvious they were just being jerks and it could be deleted.
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:52 AM
A quick note, if you do use textareas don't forget to look through addreply.php, it stores and displays text after running it through certain functions. I had a nightmare with that a long time ago with text bugs until I figured that out.
Krang 12-29-2003 02:01 AM
Thanks, Zola and X Prime, I'll keep those in mind when writing the script.
Pythagoras 12-29-2003 02:40 AM
Great! I'm glad u can do something about my suggestion Krang.
Lady Tesser 12-29-2003 09:19 AM
Great idea. The comment 'card' would also be a good way of manually checking each rating. No comment = rating does not count. Generalities = still doesn't count.

Although like the fanart page, the fanfic page is getting crowded! Oy ...
Shady Dark Lady 12-29-2003 10:56 AM
I love the idea of being able to rate fanfics. Any one who just says something like, I hated it..should be ignored, unless they tell why. I hate when people criticize without giving good reasons. Besides, it will also help the writers as well. It will also be nice to be able to explain why I liked a certain fanfic as well.
Tony Waynewrong 12-29-2003 11:25 AM
I agree. I think constructive (even harsh) critism would help the writer out. I certainly need it. Smile

But, if somebody uses simple comments like, "It blows", "That's horrible", "Get a life", I certainly won't pay any heed to that.

Comment cards sounds like an excellent plan to me.
Wingnut 12-29-2003 11:29 AM
Well, it seems that we will see a fanfic rateing system in the future, all that needs to be done it hammering out the details.
This would be a very nice way of doing things.
Perhaps sending a person, not logged in to the login page when he/she tries to rate/comment on a fanfic would work.
X Prime 12-29-2003 11:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Well, it seems that we will see a fanfic rateing system in the future, all that needs to be done it hammering out the details.
This would be a very nice way of doing things.
Perhaps sending a person, not logged in to the login page when he/she tries to rate/comment on a fanfic would work.

He has already said that how it's going to work.. Or at least implied it. So no worries there.
TDF Studios 01-07-2004 09:25 PM
It is a great idea. Many good writers need constructive critism in order to make their pieces of work stand out.
Pygmalion 11-30-2004 07:39 AM
I had been thinking this past weekend about the problem of fan fiction feedback.

If one posts a story in Nightingale, one gets feedback really fast! The same day, even. If one goes to the trouble of submitting one's work to be posted up in the fan fiction section, however, it might as well be dropped down a well for all the notice it receives. I know that I have seldom gone to the trouble of PMing authors I particularly enjoy, and that's a shame.

Krang was working on a feedback system seperate from the forums (and that's why I've revived this thread), but I would like to propose what I believe is a simpler solution: each story in the fanfiction section gets a linked thread in Nightingale (or, if one were worried about crowding, a subforum in Nightingale), where discussion could be posted. There would be a "Discuss this story" button on each page of the fanfic which would take the reader to the thread, and the first post in the thread would be linked to the story.

This would obviously limit posted discussion to PCF members, but non-members could read as guests, as they already do, and join if they feel like posting.

Pygmalion
BethMcBeth 11-30-2004 11:48 AM
I think its also a great idea and especially things that Pyg has said too I think maybe it would also be nice if we could do something like this for fan fics but also fan arts as well! Good luck! ^_^"""
Tony Waynewrong 11-30-2004 11:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
I had been thinking this past weekend about the problem of fan fiction feedback.

If one posts a story in Nightingale, one gets feedback really fast! The same day, even. If one goes to the trouble of submitting one's work to be posted up in the fan fiction section, however, it might as well be dropped down a well for all the notice it receives. I know that I have seldom gone to the trouble of PMing authors I particularly enjoy, and that's a shame.

Krang was working on a feedback system seperate from the forums (and that's why I've revived this thread), but I would like to propose what I believe is a simpler solution: each story in the fanfiction section gets a linked thread in Nightingale (or, if one were worried about crowding, a subforum in Nightingale), where discussion could be posted. There would be a "Discuss this story" button on each page of the fanfic which would take the reader to the thread, and the first post in the thread would be linked to the story.

This would obviously limit posted discussion to PCF members, but non-members could read as guests, as they already do, and join if they feel like posting.

Pygmalion

You know, I totally agree with your idea.

Also, it would be great to have the ability to rate a fanfic with the option of anonymity. Sometimes it is hard to criticize ones work when it needs significant help.