[Suggestion] Allow users to rate fanfics

A Clockwork Tomato 11-30-2004 03:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
I had been thinking this past weekend about the problem of fan fiction feedback.

If one posts a story in Nightingale, one gets feedback really fast! The same day, even. If one goes to the trouble of submitting one's work to be posted up in the fan fiction section, however, it might as well be dropped down a well for all the notice it receives.

This is why I've always posted my fanfiction to Nightengale but never submitted it to the fanfiction section. Though I suppose it would be a good idea to submit it to the fanfiction section once the Nightengale thread is well and truly dead.

quote:
Originally posted by Tony
You know, I totally agree with your idea.

Also, it would be great to have the ability to rate a fanfic with the option of anonymity. Sometimes it is hard to criticize ones work when it needs significant help.

I don't like the idea of anonymous criticism. It's bad enough that there's public criticism. Praise publically, criticize privately (and only after being invited to do so) -- that's the ticket. Many artists find criticism very discouraging, however well-intentioned or accurate it might be.
Krang 11-30-2004 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
Krang was working on a feedback system seperate from the forums (and that's why I've revived this thread), but I would like to propose what I believe is a simpler solution: each story in the fanfiction section gets a linked thread in Nightingale (or, if one were worried about crowding, a subforum in Nightingale), where discussion could be posted. There would be a "Discuss this story" button on each page of the fanfic which would take the reader to the thread, and the first post in the thread would be linked to the story.

This would obviously limit posted discussion to PCF members, but non-members could read as guests, as they already do, and join if they feel like posting.

Pygmalion

That sounds like a good idea to me (especially as a subforum) as long as people will actually use the threads once they're set up. What does everyone else think?
evanASF27 11-30-2004 11:10 PM
I LIKE IT!! Cool Thumbs Up

I just first gotta proof read my Lupin/Big O fanfic and then send it in...I really want to get this onto the mainsite Big Grin
StevieV019 12-01-2004 08:12 AM
Im kinda up in the air about this one...

On the one hand, it could spark interest in fan fictions. However, at the same time, it could also drive away potential readers of works depending upon the rating of the fan fiction, as well as dampen a writer's desire to create or submit something.

"Ill read the fan fiction with a (scale of 1-10 rating for example) 10, but Im not going to even bother reading the fan fiction rated a 4. It obviously sucks based upon the rating it got..."

Granted, thats an extreme example, but it does show the potential to drive away readers of a fan fiction. Remember, whether someone likes a fan fiction or not is simply an opinion. But most writers create something not to appease critics, but mainly to express themselves. Negating someone's desire to create (which could potentially happen given negative ratings) is not something I would be an advocate of. I know we do have many mature members here and they would rate accordingly and fairly, but still, hindering someone's desire to create is something that shouldnt be supported. I think there is a potential for that.

Still, whatever happens, happens...
Pygmalion 12-01-2004 09:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Im kinda up in the air about this one...

On the one hand, it could spark interest in fan fictions. However, at the same time, it could also drive away potential readers of works depending upon the rating of the fan fiction, as well as dampen a writer's desire to create or submit something.

"Ill read the fan fiction with a (scale of 1-10 rating for example) 10, but Im not going to even bother reading the fan fiction rated a 4. It obviously sucks based upon the rating it got..."

What about the "discuss the fiction" link idea? There's nothing that says we have to rate the story in the discussion, any more than we do at present.

And as for the writers' desire to "express themselves," I can only speak for myself, but my motivation in writing is to tell a story; for that, I need an audience. Having a place to discuss the story would give me that audience.

Pygmalion
StevieV019 12-01-2004 03:35 PM
See, the discussion link or thread could work and would be more beneficial in my opinion. You could laud the writer's efforts, pick out the good parts, and critique the parts that you didnt like as a reader.

Just my two cents...