anime in general

psygnosis 12-28-2003 09:25 PM
who here dosn't really like anime in general, lord knows i don't.
i watched big o as an experiment, to give anime a second chance. i found the show enjoyable and have sence given other shows and movies a veiwing i didn't realy like what i saw.
i enjoyed big o, flcl, and akira.
just wondering how you all fell into this veiw
Zopwx2 12-28-2003 09:36 PM
I myself dislike anime in general.

As we know in big o people tend to act as you would expect people to act. Aside from giant robots and androids.

No one falls down when stupid stuff is said, or gets random lines on their head, or has huge eyes.

I like only big o and evangelion.

And a few other shows on Adult Swim that I watched just out of boredom, like Cowboy Bebop which looks good.

Though FLCL goes against my feeling on anime, all those thing I described were done intentionally and were done incredibly over the top. Making it hiliarious.
psygnosis 12-28-2003 09:47 PM
yeah i realy like the fact that the people in big o don't have active thought bubbles that portray there emotions usining sybols. also it had no fanservice thank god
Knave 12-28-2003 09:49 PM
For me, it's really Big O that's the exception to my general tastes. I almost never watch anything that's not comedy, and I like just a few other anime series because of this (Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Excel Saga, and most recently Final Fantasy Unlimited).

Big O's style still appeals, though, I suppose because of the film noir style and the really interesting way it's developed. It was also one of the first Animes that I'd ever watched - I saw it when it was first on Cartoon Network a few years back.
StewieGriffin 12-28-2003 10:12 PM
Okay, I'll admit it. I am a huge anime freak. My head is so filled up with anime, there is only a tiny little area in my brain that be used to store other things... Big Grin

Really, what you like is really what kind of tastes you have. While many anime you see out ther have cute characters with big, innocent eyes, it doesn't mean that they are all alike. There are sports anime, horror anime, action anime, even cooking anime!

Really, you just have to look and you'll eventually find an anime you'll really enjoy, like when you found the Big O. Not all anime focuses on action, and not all anime is gory or have sensuality in it. Just like Americans, the Japanese have their limits.
Knave 12-28-2003 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StewieGriffin
Okay, I'll admit it. I am a huge anime freak. My head is so filled up with anime, there is only a tiny little area in my brain that be used to store other things... Big Grin

Really, what you like is really what kind of tastes you have. While many anime you see out ther have cute characters with big, innocent eyes, it doesn't mean that they are all alike. There are sports anime, horror anime, action anime, even cooking anime!

Really, you just have to look and you'll eventually find an anime you'll really enjoy, like when you found the Big O. Not all anime focuses on action, and not all anime is gory or have sensuality in it. Just like Americans, the Japanese have their limits.

I concur, when people say they don't like anime, I tell them that's like saying that they don't like TV shows - it's a tremendously broad category.
Kittie heavenly6 12-28-2003 10:31 PM
I love how people tend to think 99% of all anime is like DBZ or Pokemon. I've seen well over 800 anime, and I can honestly say more are comparable to Big-O than anything.

I think US companies just bring the crapy little kid animes out here, because A: They are a quick hit, B: They are cheap to make.

You guys should try watching Witch Hunter Robin when it starts on CN. you'd probably like it. Or the Vision of Escaflowne.
psygnosis 12-28-2003 10:38 PM
i watched alot of anime that waas refered too
i watched bebop
i watched trigun
i watched inuyasha
i watched fist of the north star
i watched blue gender
i watched x
i liked none of the above
Kittie heavenly6 12-28-2003 10:43 PM
First of all, Psygnosis, don't double post. And I personally disliked half of that list you posted as well.

Second, if you guys feel the need to troll and Bash anime, then don't come in the Anime forums.
Knave 12-28-2003 10:46 PM
I imagine if you stopped to think what sort of elements you like in a show (comedy, mystery, good effects, combat, whatever floats your boat), you'd find an anime series that has that.

Psygnosis, you've seen the last Weekend Web, I hope? I always like reading those. We'll never get on there, we generally seem to avoid all the inane conversations. Still, it is a bit shameful at times to be associated with people like that.
Zopwx2 12-28-2003 11:16 PM
Roberts is warned and/or banned now.

Plus anime is usually not my cup of tea.
Knave 12-28-2003 11:20 PM
Nice return to topic. Hopefully somebody'll handle him soon, since there was a warning not to double post in here just about 10 minutes ago.

I'd challenge anybody who says they don't like anime to look for what they want in a series, and post it here (within reasonable limits, nothing too specific or outlandish). I'd imagine there are enough people here with enough knowledge to find a series that more or less matches the request.
Zopwx2 12-28-2003 11:23 PM
Dr., anime "in general".

I'm just not a fan of anime IN GENERAL, though I could find some interesting shows I would like.
Kittie heavenly6 12-28-2003 11:24 PM
Well, what do you want in an anime? Like I said, I've seen over 800 I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Mr.Grudge 12-28-2003 11:25 PM
Animenfo.com is a decent site where you can browse Anime by category. Just pick one that you like and read some of the summaries and reviews that come up.

I was fortunate to have some friends who had good tastes in anime and it was around when Adult Swim started playing Trigun and Cowboy Bebop that I decided to give anime a second chance. Before that I had only seen Akira and Ghost in the Shell, which I liked, but cartoon network was only playing stuff like Gundam and DragonballZ that I could not get into at all. Then I caught an episode of Big O near the end of the first season and things took off from there.
Knave 12-28-2003 11:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Dr., anime "in general".

I'm just not a fan of anime IN GENERAL, though I could find some interesting shows I would like.

Not saying you were, sorry if you misread me. This was more a reply to a few earlier posts.
CoCoaPuFF CatX 12-28-2003 11:36 PM
I must diagree not all anime sucks..... yes there are some very stupid ones like pokemon i hate that but there are others and some of the ones i like are big o beylade gto slayers o gosh tere are so many just look some more what are your interrests? that can help you alot when finding another anime you like!
Krang 12-29-2003 12:42 AM
Roberts is now banned for spamming and trolling. Psygnosis now has two warnings for it also unless he can prove that he is not the same person as roberts.

Edit: Even if psygnosis isn't the same person as roberts, the warnings stay since he admitted in this thread that he invited someone who hates Big O and anime and is known for making "a complete ass out of himself" (a.k.a. a troll and a spammer) to these forums.

Back on topic, I don't know how anyone can dislike anime "in general." That would be like saying that you dislike movies in general, since there are just as many genres in anime. And as you can see with Big O, not all anime is drawn in the exact same style, so you don't have to worry about characters with big eyes (which I don't see why anyone has a problem with in the first place... Roll Eyes ) in every anime you watch. I think it's pointless to be so closed minded about all Japanese animation just because you saw a few that you didn't like.
StewieGriffin 12-29-2003 12:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Back on topic, I don't know how anyone can dislike anime "in general." That would be like saying that you dislike movies in general, since there are just as many genres in anime. And as you can see with Big O, not all anime is drawn in the exact same style, so you don't have to worry about characters with big eyes (which I don't see why anyone has a problem with in the first place... Roll Eyes ) in every anime you watch. I think it's pointless to be so closed minded about all Japanese animation just because you saw a few that you didn't like.

Exactly. I don't know, but the Japanese of all ages love anime, while we Americans tend to think animation for little kids. Anime is here now to break that age barrier and I am sure soon too that everyone will come to appreciate animation no matter what age they are or what kind it is.
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Roberts is now banned for spamming and trolling. Psygnosis now has two warnings for it also unless he can prove that he is not the same person as roberts.

Actually, I more or less have the tendency to dislike anything with a certain kind of fanbase, the details of which I refuse to get into.. For example, Big O isn't exactly the most popular thing in the world, and yesterday I bought the Season 1 DVDs. It IS possible to dislike anime in general. For the record, I don't watch movies much either, nor TV, so the analogy loses it's effect.