anime in general

X Prime 12-29-2003 09:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StewieGriffin
Like Shredder said, don't be so closed-minded about anime just because the popularity revolves around such things as Pokemon or Gundam, because there are others out there besides fun and games.

....Sigh. Do read my post again. And again. and again, until you kindly understand that it was not done INTENTIONALLY. *Slaps self* Look, I'm sorry, but i've explained it already. Can we not bring it up anymore?
Ryoma 12-29-2003 09:53 PM
For the most part, I dislike it, or at least the stuff of today.

I've been a fan for several years now & I've seen a lot of old gags (falling down in tense situation) done over & over & ridiculous ideas regurgitated (giant robots piloted by whiny teenage boys, guy surrounded by supermodels that more or less are after him) appear too often for me to stand. That's not neccessarily bad, but what irks me is that nothing new is done or if it is, it's even more moronic.

That's just a few stereotypes I've witnessed (besides having someone under 20 be the lead star, people over reacting, reusing old elements without too much effort put in for new stuff) in anime recently & with nothing novel like the great 1980s vintage shows.
StewieGriffin 12-29-2003 09:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ryoma
That's just a few stereotypes I've witnessed (besides having someone under 20 be the lead star, people over reacting, reusing old elements without too much effort put in for new stuff) in anime recently & with nothing novel like the great 1980s vintage shows.

Hmm...I say what you mean.

I recommend a dose of Excel Saga (watch out! It's offensive). Watch it (available only on DVD).
Ryoma 12-29-2003 10:13 PM
quote:
Hmm...I say what you mean.

I recommend a dose of Excel Saga (watch out! It's offensive). Watch it (available only on DVD).
I've heard of it & compared to FLCL in sheer insanity & shamelessly slamming anime stereotypes. I might give that a go.

Oh yeah; if anyone's interested, I dig the old school shows with some of the new stuff (Bebop, Heat Guy J, FLCL, Berserk, Hellsing, Macross Zero, Now & Then, Here & There) that's either serious/mature or revamps/homages of old school (G Gundam, Giant Robo, Shin Getter Robo, Big-O, Mazinkaiser) & the old stuff as well (Z Gundam, Lupin III, etc.).
Knave 12-29-2003 10:14 PM
Yeah, the stuff on TV does get into a rut occasionaly of that sort of thing, the channels always try to stick with what's worked in the past.

There are other series out there, though. Like Stewie said, Excel Saga is not at all like anything else - and it is on the Anime channel, if you happen to get that. If you wanted a more fantasy tone, the new Final Fantasy Unlimited series is very interesting and unique. And, while it may fall under your classification of vintage since it's 80s, a comedy that dosen't use all the old routines is Irresponsible Captain Tylor - take a look if you're interested.
Nyarlathotep 12-29-2003 11:18 PM
I hesitantly vote yes, but I'd like to point out that I only like serious anime. And by that I mean, no giant drops of sweat, no huge bug eyes, no falling over when something unbelievable happens, none of those cross veins on the forehead and most of all nothing that in any way has to do with Dragonball Z or its offshoots. I can't stand anime that doesn't take itself seriously, even Beck's goofball antics rile me up a bit.
Mega Dominus 12-30-2003 02:32 AM
If you have the International Channel on cable, you can check out its nightly dose of anime (a different one each night) for a variey in general.

Saves you the trouble of buying/renting videos or DVDs and the stuff they air encompasses a relatively "wider" variety as well.
Sharpshooter005 12-30-2003 02:21 PM
Some of it I like alot

Some of it I cannot STAND.

So...kind of..yes and no.
angelcakes 12-30-2003 05:38 PM
I voted a definete yes. I'm an otaku and I proudly admit it. I've seen more anime than people here and have a growing manga collection. The count was at about 169 books last time I counted(most Clamp)
Dorothy and Pero 12-30-2003 06:57 PM
I like anime. I like it alot. It's cool and pretty and amazing. Better than most American stuff. So yeah, I like it (though I find manga nice too, and it can be cheaper Big Grin ).
StewieGriffin 12-30-2003 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Knave
There are other series out there, though. Like Stewie said, Excel Saga is not at all like anything else - and it is on the Anime channel, if you happen to get that.

How about a dose of a Miyazaki movie? Sprited Away or Princess Monanoke (sp?) is a great choice as well! Big Grin
Pygmalion 01-02-2004 02:21 PM
quote:
How about a dose of a Miyazaki movie? Sprited Away or Princess Monanoke (sp?) is a great choice as well! Big Grin

I second Stewie's idea. Miyazaki is not just excellent anime, his are excellent movies by anyone's standards.

Pygmalion
unabashed Miyazaki fan
C.R Foxhound 01-02-2004 02:55 PM
i like anime

but i also think anime is great in a more important fashion

it really shows off the potential for animation as a serious medium.

it pains me sometimes to watch how animation is looked at in america. Beyond the pixar movies and shrek, nobody really cares for it. If they only knew. I would really like to see american studios stop copying the visual style of anime, and a cue from its storytelling properties

but then again, if one thinks about it, its not all that different from a live action movie. I guess these people believe that because its animated it must be dumbed down and filled with really bad toilet humor.

who knows...

well excuse me, i must go to my local Best Buy and look for a Princess Mononoke DVD

man, thats a lotta onono's
Lady Tesser 01-02-2004 03:45 PM
America has tried ... but they came up with Heavy Metal (a duggie-movie) and Pink Floyd videos (which are drug-induced) (nothing against either, just isn't quite 'user-friendly' for the masses). Is it any wonder animation as a serious storytelling medium still hasn't caught on here? It's associated with either kiddie stuff or seriously warped mind-screws.
Sharpshooter005 01-02-2004 04:12 PM
quote:
but they came up with Heavy Metal (a duggie-movie)

5 minutes of that and I couldnt flip the channel fast enough, it was just...god even the animation wasnt that good.

quote:
It's associated with either kiddie stuff or seriously warped mind-screws.

With few exceptions (the ones springing to mind are the simpsons, south park, and to a degree family guy). the only real animated movies/t.v. shows to have any dent on the culture (that didnt involve dancing fish, or some kind of astronaut driving a convertable around the stratosphere...ugh, now Im REMEMBERING it)
Benjamin 01-03-2004 09:09 PM
Anime is life
Anime is your friend
Anime is God...

So watch & Learn
Seraphim 06-04-2004 06:50 PM
Yeah, I'd say that I like the genre of anime. There's something about it that really holds my attention. Hm.
AlexRosewater 06-04-2004 07:14 PM
I watch Anime in general and watch all most anything that has Action/Adventure Comedy and other genre's in it.
Silv3rKnigh1 06-04-2004 10:50 PM
of course i do! Smile

ITs not just a cartoon, ITS A WAY OF LIFE
shortyp 06-08-2004 07:30 PM
Shocked you don't like anime????!!!!! You don't know what you are missing. It is true, there are corny anime's that have exaggerated bubbles over their head, and have weird poses and facial expressions, but that is exactly what it is, a over exaggeration for more comedic moments in the show. Then there are the more serious anime like big O, Lain, many you may not have heard of like GTO, Gravity, chobits, and so forth. So I beg of you oh hater of anime, give it a third chance..... (read the Manga's first) I'm sure you'll like what you see. Wink