anime in general

Krang 12-29-2003 01:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Actually, I more or less have the tendency to dislike anything with a certain kind of fanbase, the details of which I refuse to get into.. For example, Big O isn't exactly the most popular thing in the world, and yesterday I bought the Season 1 DVDs. It IS possible to dislike anime in general. For the record, I don't watch movies much either, nor TV, so the analogy loses it's effect.

Why does it matter how many fans there are? Shouldn't it matter whether you like it or not instead? Sure it's possible to dislike anime in general, but like I said, it's very closed minded to dislike all animation produced by a particular country.
Knave 12-29-2003 01:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StewieGriffin
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Back on topic, I don't know how anyone can dislike anime "in general." That would be like saying that you dislike movies in general, since there are just as many genres in anime. And as you can see with Big O, not all anime is drawn in the exact same style, so you don't have to worry about characters with big eyes (which I don't see why anyone has a problem with in the first place... Roll Eyes ) in every anime you watch. I think it's pointless to be so closed minded about all Japanese animation just because you saw a few that you didn't like.

Exactly. I don't know, but the Japanese of all ages love anime, while we Americans tend to think animation for little kids. Anime is here now to break that age barrier and I am sure soon too that everyone will come to appreciate animation no matter what age they are or what kind it is.

It is getting a lot more popular - just look at any bookstore or place like Best Buy's anime section, and remember the sizes the sections were at even just two years ago. And, while you shouldn't like something just because it's more common, its growing fanbase does help improve the quality. Because of the increased demand, dubbing is done better (no more atrocities like CCS) and more titles are brought to US markets, creating even more support - nowhere to go but up!
Kittie heavenly6 12-29-2003 01:22 AM
I'm sorry, but I feel the need to say:

People who dislike something, just because it's popular, is just as bad as the people that like something just because it's popular.

I could go on a tagent, but I'd get WAYYY To off topic.
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Actually, I more or less have the tendency to dislike anything with a certain kind of fanbase, the details of which I refuse to get into.. For example, Big O isn't exactly the most popular thing in the world, and yesterday I bought the Season 1 DVDs. It IS possible to dislike anime in general. For the record, I don't watch movies much either, nor TV, so the analogy loses it's effect.

Why does it matter how many fans there are? Shouldn't it matter whether you like it or not instead? Sure it's possible to dislike anime in general, but like I said, it's very closed minded to dislike all animation produced by a particular country.

Never said I did it consciously or intentionally. I just noticed it's a tendency I have to avoid the popular culture-ish stuff. I like NOTHING in general. I pick and choose which particular shows/games.et cetera that I like. That is all. I don't think that way of looking at it is close-minded, that's reading into it too deeply for my taste.
Shredder 12-29-2003 01:37 AM
X Prime, you probably have at least some interest in Big O to be posting here, so you do have interest in at least one anime. Just because anime in general maybe is gaining popularity in the US doesn't mean every show is just a massed produced merchandise machine like Pokemon or something.

Also, who cares what other people think about something for you to have or not have interest in it. It's not like you'll be watching a show with crowds of other fans of it (unless you see it in a theatre or something), so what difference does it make who else watches it?
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
X Prime, you probably have at least some interest in Big O to be posting here, so you do have interest in at least one anime. Just because anime in general maybe is gaining popularity in the US doesn't mean every show is just a massed produced merchandise machine like Pokemon or something.

Also, who cares what other people think about something for you to have or not have interest in it. It's not like you'll be watching a show with crowds of other fans of it (unless you see it in a theatre or something), so what difference does it make who else watches it?

See post above, I answered that question. It's my own observation of myself that I've noticed over the years. Considering I'm the one making it, it's probably true since that's more or less a pessimistic note.
Shredder 12-29-2003 01:45 AM
You must be a fan of something, at least casually. Confused Why are you so eager to dislike something in general (say, if you consider it popular), but don't seem to think it's possible to like something in general?
X Prime 12-29-2003 01:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
You must be a fan of something, at least casually. Confused Why are you so eager to dislike something in general (say, if you consider it popular), but don't seem to think it's possible to like something in general?

You misunderstand me. What I meant by that is that I assume that to be the case, through abit of self observation. I don't think I do it intentionally, it's just something I noticed, like the fact that I sleep or so on when I don't want to.
Schwarzwald 12-29-2003 02:00 AM
Yeah...

Well... atleast the anime that isn't completely perverted... Ranma isn't COMPLETELY perverted... although I am not sure about Love Hina.

Anime (commonly) has humor not totally based on repulsive sexual actions like south park has. and i put commonly there from looking at one of Prince tessers post in the Most perverted thread... his arm... REALLY turned into THAT?! My god. Thats something taht I would expect from southpark.

Plus it isn't all idiotic humor. Like most american animation. Sure alot of it is funny. But meanings like in Big O or serial experiments lain are not in american animation atlall.

Plus it has fine action.
There is serious drama.
And well... most of it is VERY good quality animation...
X Prime 12-29-2003 02:03 AM
..At all? Isn't that a really bad umbrella statement? Do explain yourself.
Schwarzwald 12-29-2003 02:23 AM
quote:
..At all? Isn't that a really bad umbrella statement? Do explain yourself.

Hm? At all what? explain YOURSELF...

err... what are you refering to...
X Prime 12-29-2003 02:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
But meanings like in Big O or serial experiments lain are not in american animation atlall. .

Referring to that. That's a more serious general statement than what I've said.
Schwarzwald 12-29-2003 04:16 PM
Heh... well i have yet to see anything in that much depth.

Animation is america usually means humor.

Well there may be a few animations out there that have more depth... but... I have yet to see one... altleast one thats not obviously talking about friendship and working together...
X Prime 12-29-2003 04:17 PM
In other words, something not along the lines of Sailor Moon? Hehe.
Schwarzwald 12-29-2003 04:20 PM
quote:

Yeah.... yeah thats pretty much what I am talking about.
A bunch of preps obsessed with fasion and "boiz" who always have fights about it but in the end somehow resolving it and try to teach the views subconciously a "valuable lesson."

Foolish Disney! Tricks are for republicans!
X Prime 12-29-2003 04:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
quote:

Yeah.... yeah thats pretty much what I am talking about.
A bunch of preps obsessed with fasion and "boiz" who always have fights about it but in the end somehow resolving it and try to teach the views subconciously a "valuable lesson."

Foolish Disney! Tricks are for republicans!

Yes, and outright CHEATING is for the Democratic Party! Hehe.
Lady Tesser 12-29-2003 04:38 PM
Love anime. It's like cartoons for people who grow up but still like cartoons.

I do have limits though - NO HENTAI, no excessive fan service (like most everything out of Yuji Moriyama), nothing excessively cute (I'm still trying to draw a line on that, though - Pretty Sammy is a favorite), no excessive gore (Vampire Hunter D is about all I can stand - Akira freaks me out a little), no long fight scenes that take up fifteen episodes (BORING!), and must be entertaining (make me laugh or make me think).

I also tend to love anime that I can make costumes from for cosplay. It's a role-play thing. ^_^
Schwarzwald 12-29-2003 05:02 PM
Ok... if plot and good drawings arn't your thing... ummm.... *looks at 3x3 eyes movie collection* there is plenty of violence and blood?

I mean... you know that wrestling is fake... anime is still fake... but there is more blood...
and ummm... it can fill in your "love fantasies?"
Jeff....nono i just naming names... jeff know what im talking about... BUT LAURA IS MORE THAN THAT TO ME!!!! AHHH! She has a better attitude than that blasted season 1 angel!!!
The Fallen Phoenix 12-29-2003 05:13 PM
As others have said, it's hard to say I like (or dislike) anime in general, because there's such a wide variety of genres...I tend to watch anime I like, and ignore anime I don't like...

I guess I like anime in general...I surely don't dislike it in general...
StewieGriffin 12-29-2003 09:20 PM
Japanimation has many things that differ from American cartoons, and often, we like to have something new approach us. What's great about anime is the fact that you can connect it in your actual life in many ways; anime heroes often have an inner, deeper human emotion, and they struggle with it. There's a huge connection there between actual people and anime people rather than...let's say, a superhero who has plutonium for breakfast and saves crime with ease.

Like Shredder said, don't be so closed-minded about anime just because the popularity revolves around such things as Pokemon or Gundam, because there are others out there besides fun and games.