One AAAAAAAAAAAA Battery

R. David Mcleod 12-27-2003 08:49 PM
All joking aside, what kind of a power source does a Megadeus like Big O run on anyway?

I kind of doubt that it's anything like the ultra compact fusion reactors used in the Gundam Series. For one of those you need lots of duterium, an isitope of hydrogen and very rare natually. Plus the equipment to refine and store it is so bulky that it would be impossible to miss.

Any kind of nuclear fission power source is unlikely in the extreme because if that were the case, the wreckage of the Final Stage Cannon should have been hot in both senses of the word. That and Emenides wouldn't have needed to be filled with conventional explosives.

Other than whatever the heck energon is, I can't think of another source capable of generating enough power to move such a giant machine, let alone something like the Cromebuster.

Location is another problem. Dorothy 1 had a hole puched right through its chest, so it can't be there. For the Bigs at least, I'd almost suspect that it's inside each arm nacelle....

R.Dave
R and D 12-27-2003 08:58 PM
some kind of power core like on zoids? (if any of yas watch it) Confused or maybe like what adult swim says.............................
it's powered on one huge
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

battery. Pleased
BigPrime 12-27-2003 08:59 PM
Someone here once had a theory they ran on memories, I believe.

Personally, I wonder if its something like a tiny black hole or singularity. It has to be small, provide a lot of power and last practically forever. THough I'd imagine that'd give off quite a bit of radiation. How about this: they run on the confusion of their fans over what they run on. Big Grin

As for location: I've always figured the Bigs power plants were in their lower torsos. It's the one part of their bodies that's never been shown to be filled to the brim with armor and weaponry. Their chests usually have missiles, guns or cockpits in them, their arms have weapons and armor (though Duo does have its turboprops in there too) and I doubt they'd be in their legs (besides, Duo has missiles in its legs).
The Big Mo 12-27-2003 09:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R and D
some kind of power core like on zoids? (if any of yas watch it) Confused or maybe like what adult swim says.............................
it's powered on one huge

battery. Pleased

That card is proof the AS guys are a little...off. A battery of that size?

. <=Approximate size.
R Trusedale 12-27-2003 09:06 PM
The choices are practically endless, although some may be ruled out on contamination ground, like nuclear power. Although we don't know for sure that Tomatoes have the same problems humans do with radiation.

My current favorite is Stirling motors coupled to massive flywheels. Its clean, and can be spun up by any heat source. A good choice for a war machine that usually fights no more than 10 minutes, tops.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-27-2003 09:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R Trusedale
My current favorite is Stirling motors coupled to massive flywheels. Its clean, and can be spun up by any heat source. A good choice for a war machine that usually fights no more than 10 minutes, tops.

Factor in the gyroscopic effects and the momentum, and you have an amazingly intractable solution. The least of your problems would be that a blow to the Megadeus that would normally twist the flywheel would instead cause the Megadeus and the flywheel to part company.
Knave 12-27-2003 09:24 PM
The flywheel soultion also wouldn't work on Big Duo, since he requires constant energy for the propellers, in addition to liquid fuel.
evanASF27 12-27-2003 09:34 PM
it would need about 300 Z Cells ... O_o;;;

THAT"S FRIGGIN HUGE!! @__@
THAT'S ALOT OF DAM POWER! Tongue ...get it? ..dam...oh hell ~~
Watts the matter with you?! Big Grin
Mr.Grudge 12-27-2003 09:37 PM
I keep telling you, it's vacuum energy.
R Trusedale 12-27-2003 09:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by R Trusedale

Factor in the gyroscopic effects and the momentum, and you have an amazingly intractable solution. The least of your problems would be that a blow to the Megadeus that would normally twist the flywheel would instead cause the Megadeus and the flywheel to part company.

Thats easily fixed. The flywheel need not rotate on an axis fixed to the megadeuce. Instead place it in a gimbaled cage. Now you have no external gyroscopic precession effects.

Linear momentum? Most of the Bigs love added momentum. Especially Big O with his piston arms. Big Duo probably wouldn't. My best guess is that Duo probably flew on conventional jet fuel.
Mr.Grudge 12-27-2003 09:48 PM
Plus by altering the gyroscope's plane of rotation you got a nifty stablizer device.
psygnosis 12-27-2003 10:55 PM
you realize the more a's you put into it the smaller it becomes, man that would be a realy small battery.
re-animate 12-27-2003 10:59 PM
i have a small theroy that they run on refractles and microns and protons, but i wont get into the techichalities
Knave 12-27-2003 11:07 PM
A simple theory that also explains the scarcity of Bigs is that they're powered by the rarest element of all - Unobtanium.
Trotsky 12-28-2003 12:54 AM
it couldent run on a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA batery, for every A it get's smaller, AA, AAA, it gos smaller and smaller, so i gus Ax26=nano batery.
Little Fau 12-28-2003 01:01 AM
Since the issue of destroying power sources to disable a Megadeus never comes up (closest thing I can remember was the destruction of Dorothy-1's "power regulator circuits"), the source is clearly not volatile or unstable. And whatever it is, it's most likely highly decentralized throughout the Megadei's frame, possibly even serving only the region it's located in, since no singular region attack has yet taken a power source out.
-Wanderer- 12-28-2003 01:50 AM
I'm guessing the creators were so busy designing Big O with all new type of weapons for season 2 that they forgot to put in what type of juice the megadeus's run on.
Little Fau 12-28-2003 02:14 AM
Somewhat parallel to the power source question is one of "musculature" -- Big O is almost literally composed of weapon systems stacked upon weapon systems, torso to forehead and everything inbetween. Just where the heck are its motors and servos? And if they're only located in the joints, those are some mighty tough mechanisms.
Kittie heavenly6 12-28-2003 05:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by R and D
it's powered on one huge

battery. Pleased

lmao.

That is one of the few cards that AS airs that actually made me laugh.
That and the Tomato one.
"Incidently... we forget"

Edit:

And For some reason I always asumed the Megadei ran on sometype of Nuclear power. I have no idea why I thought this, i just wanted to share that.
NVWC2006 12-28-2003 03:35 PM
Possibly the power source is in the arms..
In the manga, Big O is attacked by Beck's electric-sucking-bugs.. And Big O seems to deactivate once its arms are chewed off.

Then again, it gets right back up again.

Somehow, later, Big O gets 2 new arms which generate electricity.. If I understood it directly, I think it was something about the Praire Dog transporter spinning fast enough to generate power..

Perhaps megadeuses have mastered the goal Nicola Tesla could never achieve.. Wireless Electricity?