Japanese

StewieGriffin 12-26-2003 01:07 AM
Anyone here know how to speak Japanese? I do...well, I know a little, and I know how the written language is written (I have trouble memorizing the kanji characters in both Hirigana and Katakana).

Here's a few questions to answer for those who do know (I don't know how to put Japanese text on here, so I'll put in some Romanji instead).

1) Dare desu ka?
2) Nan desu ka?
3) Hon wa doko ni arimasu ka?
4) Tanjoubi wa itsu desu ka?
5) Doushite sushi ga suki desu ka?
6) Kore wa ikura desu ka?
Krang 12-26-2003 01:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StewieGriffin
Anyone here know how to speak Japanese? I do...well, I know a little, and I know how the written language is written (I have trouble memorizing the kanji characters in both Hirigana and Katakana).

I know some Japanese. I can read and write hiragana and katakana, but I'm not very good with kanji yet.

quote:
Here's a few questions to answer for those who do know (I don't know how to put Japanese text on here, so I'll put in some Romanji instead).

Actually, I've been trying to get Japanese text to work with these forums, but there have been a few problems, so we'll have to use romaji for now.

quote:
1) Dare desu ka?

Watashi wa Krang desu.

quote:
2) Nan desu ka?

Wakarimasen...

quote:
3) Hon wa doko ni arimasu ka?

Hon wa tsukue no ue ni arimasu.

quote:
4) Tanjoubi wa itsu desu ka?

Watashi no tanjoubi wa hachi-gatsu desu.

quote:
5) Doushite sushi ga suki desu ka?

Sushi wa oishii desu kara.

quote:
6) Kore wa ikura desu ka?

Go-hyaku-en desu.
X Prime 12-26-2003 02:12 AM
You need to change the encoding to get Japanese to work here I believe.
Krang 12-26-2003 02:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Yeah, I tried changing it to Unicode (UTF-8), but it ended up messing up some characters in older posts so I had to change it back (and I'm not sure if everyone's browsers are compatible with UTF-8). I'll either try that again or try editing the scripts to see if I can get Japanese working with the encoding that we're using now.

Edit: 500th post!
StewieGriffin 12-26-2003 10:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
1) Dare desu ka?

Watashi wa Krang desu.

Odd Japanese questions, huh Big Grin ? Well, at least question 1, 2, 3,and 6 were questions I just thought up real quickly (since they didn't really make any sense) Embarrassed Sweatdrop .

I'm having a hard time with Japanese, esecially with the word order Mad . My Japanese teacher says the best way to think of how to construct a word order in Japanese is think how Yoda talks.

I just started taking the class last week (second semester began that time), and for now, I lack A LOT of knowledge of Japanese Baby .

So, in a way, I actually just took those from my Japanese textbook and simply slapped them on here to see how people would answer it Tongue .
evanASF27 12-26-2003 02:13 PM
I'[m extremely lost x_X;;;

If anything I'm a Latin student Tongue I can't read this mumbojumbo Frown
I like the way the words sound in BigO because you can get ideas but you have no clue what they mean Tongue But meh...this is killing my brain cells...

...WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!?!!? O_O;;;

...btw...Krang?! Happy about getting 500 posts? Tongue I never saw him actually do something like that before Tongue Big Grin heh, I guess even the head admin can be happy about a newly reached postcount Cool GOOD GOING KRANG! ^_^ Smile )
X Prime 12-26-2003 03:27 PM
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I tried changing it to Unicode (UTF-Cool , but it ended up messing up some characters in older posts so I had to change it back (and I'm not sure if everyone's browsers are compatible with UTF-Cool . I'll either try that again or try editing the scripts to see if I can get Japanese working with the encoding that we're using now.

Edit: 500th post!

Actually, I'm pretty sure EVERY browser, even IE, uses UTF-8.. Standard way to encode http:// addresses. Try UTF-16? UTF-32?
Shredder 12-27-2003 02:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StewieGriffin
quote:
quote:
1) Dare desu ka?

Watashi wa Krang desu.

Odd Japanese questions, huh Big Grin ? Well, at least question 1, 2, 3,and 6 were questions I just thought up real quickly (since they didn't really make any sense) Embarrassed Sweatdrop .

I'm having a hard time with Japanese, esecially with the word order Mad . My Japanese teacher says the best way to think of how to construct a word order in Japanese is think how Yoda talks.

I just started taking the class last week (second semester began that time), and for now, I lack A LOT of knowledge of Japanese Baby .

So, in a way, I actually just took those from my Japanese textbook and simply slapped them on here to see how people would answer it Tongue .

I'm also just learning Japanese (I know less than Krang). I learned the hiragana alphabet recently and am just beginning to learn katakana, but can't understand most of what I read in hiragana because my Japaneses vocabulary is so limited. Tongue I'll eventually be taking a class in it, so hopefully I'll be able to learn more- it's definately a difficult language to learn, but I think hearing it (like in anime) helps me to pick up words here and there.
Mugiwara Luffy 12-27-2003 02:59 AM
I, too, am a Latin student!

I want to learn Japanese eventually; probably in college. For an anime fan, I think that a knowledge of the Japanese language is invaluable.

And also: Krang congratulations on getting 500 posts on your own forum! I reached that mark a few days ago and I was also excited!
Krang 12-27-2003 03:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
...btw...Krang?! Happy about getting 500 posts? Tongue I never saw him actually do something like that before Tongue Big Grin heh, I guess even the head admin can be happy about a newly reached postcount Cool GOOD GOING KRANG! ^_^ Smile )

quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Smith
And also: Krang congratulations on getting 500 posts on your own forum! I reached that mark a few days ago and I was also excited!

Thanks! I just figured I'd point it out since it's a milestone (and if I weren't an administrator, I'd be a Super Member Pleased ).

quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure EVERY browser, even IE, uses UTF-8..

Yeah, I'm sure that most recent browsers support it, but I just wanted to make sure that it won't cause problems with characters like é or even when people use quotes like “” instead of "".

quote:
Standard way to encode http:// addresses. Try UTF-16? UTF-32?

Actually, the standard for sites in English is ISO-8859-1, which is the encoding that the main page uses. The forums currently use windows-1252, which is a subset of ISO-8859-1. The problem with UTF-16 and UTF-32 is that even fewer browsers support them than UTF-8.
Kittie heavenly6 12-27-2003 03:27 AM
Whoo hoo! you guys actually got Krang posting!

NOW GET BACK ON TOPIC!

Tongue (Just kiddin' guys Wink )

Don't make me recomend you for a warning Krang! Laughing
X Prime 12-27-2003 03:33 AM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Smith

Thanks! I just figured I'd point it out since it's a milestone (and if I weren't an administrator, I'd be a Super Member Pleased ).

quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure EVERY browser, even IE, uses UTF-8..

Yeah, I'm sure that most recent browsers support it, but I just wanted to make sure that it won't cause problems with characters like é or even when people use quotes like “” instead of "".

quote:
Standard way to encode http:// addresses. Try UTF-16? UTF-32?

Actually, the standard for sites in English is ISO-8859-1, which is the encoding that the main page uses. The forums currently use windows-1252, which is a subset of ISO-8859-1. The problem with UTF-16 and UTF-32 is that even fewer browsers support them than UTF-8.

Is that so? Curious, I see options in many, many browsers labeled: "Encode web addresses in UTF-8' checked as default.. Seems pretty standard to me. Oh well.
Krang 12-27-2003 03:38 AM
quote:
Is that so? Curious, I see options in many, many browsers labeled: "Encode web addresses in UTF-8' checked as default.. Seems pretty standard to me. Oh well.

Oh, I see, you meant that the URLs are encoded in UTF-8 (which they are). I was talking about the page itself, which would be a way to enable Japanese support on the forums.

quote:
Originally posted by GK Version 1
Whoo hoo! you guys actually got Krang posting!

NOW GET BACK ON TOPIC!

Tongue (Just kiddin' guys Wink )

Don't make me recomend you for a warning Krang! Laughing

Hai, sumimasen. Laughing
Kittie heavenly6 12-27-2003 03:39 AM
That's more like it Wink
StewieGriffin 12-28-2003 09:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
I'm also just learning Japanese (I know less than Krang). I learned the hiragana alphabet recently and am just beginning to learn katakana, but can't understand most of what I read in hiragana because my Japaneses vocabulary is so limited. Tongue I'll eventually be taking a class in it, so hopefully I'll be able to learn more- it's definately a difficult language to learn, but I think hearing it (like in anime) helps me to pick up words here and there.

Well, if you're still having a bit of trouble with Japanese, here's a really good reference site I think might really help you out! Big Grin

General Japanese Language Lessons
Shredder 12-29-2003 12:38 AM
Thanks, StewieGriffin- great site for basics. I'm just learning things like colors, days, etc. and this will definately help me out. Smile
StewieGriffin 12-29-2003 12:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Thanks, StewieGriffin- great site for basics. I'm just learning things like colors, days, etc. and this will definately help me out. Smile

No problem Wink ! I love to help out people! I'm glad it helped you out; this site was my inspiration to take Japanese class Pleased
dawnstrider 12-29-2003 04:46 PM
I took Japanese for two semsters my first year in college, and I plan to take it again some time in the near future. I know enough to hold my own in a conversation, though my Romanji attempts are pretty bad - I actually prefer the Hiragana and Katakana, though my kanji sucks. I think most people coming from the alphabet background would have trouble with that, since there's no real equivilent to the kanji.
Lupin IV 12-29-2003 08:19 PM
Komichi WaAnime Smile LOL
Heero Yuy 12-29-2003 08:23 PM
I'm afraid that the only languages that I have any claim to being able to speak, write, and understand are English and Spanish.