Discuss the Current Episode
| Veemon |
03-29-2005 10:16 AM |
Missing Cat is the only Episode of Big O I have not seen. The rest I have watched five times.
| Captain Maw |
03-29-2005 02:24 PM |
Beck Comes Back is tonight's episode. Any thoughts, comments, i haven't watched it yet, but i will, so watch for the spoilers. fire away.
| Schoolie |
03-29-2005 11:09 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Veemon
Missing Cat is the only Episode of Big O I have not seen. The rest I have watched five times. |
Did you see it? What are your thoughts?
As for me, this is one of my favorite episodes. Though it doesn't relate much to the overall "complex" plot, it has nice character development of Dorothy and Roger. Roger really observes how Dorothy has some very "human" qualities. Plus, we see Angel in action again. And we see NORMAN in action! (Pardon me . . ) And we learn more about the setting of Paradigm City - that pets are rare and such.
Beck Comes Back is another one of my favorites - because of Beck and also because of the great Roger/Dorothy relationship development.
EDIT:
Wow, I just rewatched "Winter Night Phantom" and noticed a lot of things I hadn't before - or maybe others have but I missed the first few times around.
-Theory - Dan's memories were so confusing because his time in the movie theater (if they truly happened) were before the event. I never thought about this before, but Dastun's probably got to be in his mid to late 40's. That means he was a boy when the event happened.
-The Instro cameo is awesome! And we see that Dastun does indeed return to the Amadeus club - which he said he hadn't done since Roger left the Paradigm police.
-I love that soft piano piece they play when Roger and Dastun are talking in the seats at the ampitheater in the amusement park - when Dastun tells his story. It's the same somber music they play when Dorothy sings for her "father" Timothy Wayneright at the Nightengale club. Too bad the song is not on either soundtrack CD.
-When Alex Rosewater watches the giant robot attach and mentions the "crude entrance" is typical of the "pathetic foreigners," the look by Angel is incredibly meaningful now that we've seen the entire set-up from Season 2. I love that shot where Angel looks up and the glare shines from her eyeglasses. Cool!
-At the end, Roger narrates that Sybil wasn't recorded as having a daughter. At first, I always took it as that this new "Winter Night Phantom" was simply her daughter. But now with what we've seen toward the end of Season 2, perhaps this woman was indeed just someone "cast" to repeat the role of this character. . . . . . . Or maybe not - maybe she is just an undocumented daughter of the original Sybil.
-The very last shot of the young Dastun sitting in the theater does show him sitting with a child Sybil leaning against him (and balloon too). This really impacts the "wonkiness" of the story - especially considering how it comes back at the end of Season 2. I just figure that this girl was a childhood friend of Dastun.
-Anywho, these may be totally overdiscussed and/or unagreed upon comments. But this episode has a lot more impact when considered part of the overall storyarc (as do a lot of these Season 1 seemingly stand alone episodes). The writers must have known what they were doing - or were lucky in tying all these things together.
| Captain Maw |
04-05-2005 01:25 AM |
just viewed Act 11: Daemonseed on [adult swim] at 1:30 - 2:00 EST, mon-fri.
hahaha, i had to say the best/most meaningful moments (to my opinion, no rebuttal):
when Norman crashed through the tailors, and the lady was in the sidecar
whenever they gave "hints" that the girlfriend was blind
when the Big O was practically subdued by the plant (wtf?!? the a Big is defeated by a plant?!?)
when Oscar takes the 30+ foot fall onto the "soft" rubble on the Big O's hand.
when Dorothy and Oscar's girlfriend talk about love
when Roger and Dorothy exchange gifts (quite cliche, but it'll pass)
when Alex Rosewater gave the oh-so-obvious implication on the son of god
when the plant was fully grown, it had all of it's decorations
ah yes, the big O Christmas act was fun.
| Veemon |
04-07-2005 12:36 AM |
I'd like to note that it seems that without the mask, Big O's face is that of Big Venus.
| Captain Maw |
04-07-2005 01:16 AM |
today: Act 13- R.D
we got to see Big O without the mask. it probably isn't Big Venus, more of that of the Archtype (seeing how the archetype IS the archetype of the Big O, while Big Venus has a different face, wider and slimmer mouth.)
R.D was quite.. the cliffhanger, i can see why we needed a Season 2. Sadly i say this leads to evidence that there will be no season 3... (there was a "to be continued" in 13while a "we have come to terms" in 26, also it wasn't as much as a cliffhanger as 13)
btw, who is piloting the foreign megadei? also, Big O was completely repaired before fighting them, right? and R.D died? Roger is still bleeding? What is Angel holding?
| Mr. Peabody |
04-07-2005 07:10 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Captain Maw
today: Act 13- R.D
btw, who is piloting the foreign megadei? also, Big O was completely repaired before fighting them, right? and R.D died? Roger is still bleeding? What is Angel holding? |
I used to wonder who was piloting all these attacking megadeuses, and I guess that they're voice operated with built in defensive modes. We see an example of this when Vera is goading Bonaparte into destroying Paradigm City.
Perhaps megadei like these are inferior models, their engineers realized that megadei needed a pilot to do the improvising necessary in battle and began constructing the Big models.
R.D. is dead. It would be so cheap if she were brought back.
Roger was favoring his wounded arm before and after the battle, so I'd say he was still bleeding.
Angel's holding a Union signal balloons. I guess they're used to communicate arrivals, mission accomplished, warnings.
| Schoolie |
04-07-2005 08:25 PM |
Couple questions after seeing R-D again:
-Who awakened/controlled R-D to perform her assassinations? Was it the Union or was it just the influence of the "Behemoth" who seemed to want to hoard all memories? I ask because it seems that what R-D said to Roger was more than the members of the Union would know.
-Connected to that, Angel leaves the book for Roger in the old "memory" factory's library. In the book is the list of the "memory children" whose implanted memories returned. Also on the list was R-D. Later toward the end at the train railyard, Roger says that this was the address for R-D. So was Roger set up to be killed? And if so, by whom? Alex Rosewater/Paradigm, or the Union? Or if it wasn't a setup, what reason did whoever have for giving Roger this information? (Does that make sense? Probably not.)
Anywho, just some thoughts. I remember the first time I watched this episode, I was so fearful that R-D was actually Dorothy, and was almost sick to my stomach during the confontation of R-D and Roger in the train tunnels. And then, of course, I was overjoyed when Dorothy appeared inside Big O. Lotsa cool twists!
| Captain Maw |
04-09-2005 04:17 PM |
most likely Alex Rosewater, since he wanted to kill those tomatoe's who had the memories in themselves, since each of them can be a dominus of a megadeus. Therefore, When Alex rises to power, he doesn't want anybody to stand in his path, especially Roger, since he actually is a dominus, of the big o. although the union probably has some involvement with the delivery of Big Fau.
| Veemon |
04-09-2005 11:49 PM |
Anyone with recovered memories can be a Dominus?
| Zopwx2 |
04-10-2005 12:23 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Veemon
Anyone with recovered memories can be a Dominus? |
I don't know, but I doubt everyone with recovered memories is a potential dominus.
For example wayneright recovered some memories and used them to design androids and megadei.
The potential domini were the tomatoes that gordon created. They had memories of the senators implanted I believe. So its possible the senators at one time were domini.
| Captain Maw |
04-10-2005 11:44 AM |
oh yeah, that's what i meant, the senators with the memory implants are potential domini. sorry for the mixup. also, they killed all the "foreigners" for a similar reason too.
EDIT: btw, Roger the Wanderer is airing really soon on adult swim.
wow, roger the wanderer had different starting credits, with a whole different theme...it was phenomenal...
| Schoolie |
04-13-2005 10:47 PM |
Just watched Negotiation with the Dead (recorded from last night!). This is one of my favorite Season 2 episodes for a lot of reasons - mainly because after the dream-type tone of Roger the Wanderer, this episode shows that Season 2 still has the same magic as Season 1:
-Roger's still a-negotiatin'
-Dorothy's still playin' the piano
-Dorothy still manages to get under Roger's skin
-Big Ear has some great wisdom (and some interesting foreshadowing, after seeing the rest of the series)
-Great mystery and tension at the Wayneright Mansion (The appearance of a red cloaked gun-woman is unnerving at first!)
-Angel and Roger are still a-flirtin'
-Big O's got some major action fighting Glinda, and the gattling laser attack is shuper shweet
Gotta question after seeing this episode again - Roscoe - was he always an android and never a human, or was he an android based off of a human, like Dorothy was based off of Wayneright's daughter?
-This just goes to show how great a show this is - making me think even after a fifth or sixth watching of the episode now. (Or maybe I'm just dense! No, don't answer that!)
| Mr. Peabody |
04-14-2005 12:44 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Schoolie
Gotta question after seeing this episode again - Roscoe - was he always an android and never a human, or was he an android based off of a human, like Dorothy was based off of Wayneright's daughter?
|
I believe Roscoe was always an android. When his secret came out he mentioned how his android body was wearing out over time just like a humans.
Plus Kelly and Roscoe loved each other deeply. I think their marriage was to prove that a human and android could fall in love and have a successful marriage.
| SmothPocket |
04-14-2005 08:51 AM |
If Rosco was always an android then why is he considred "Dead"?
| quote: |
Originally posted by SmothPocket
If Rosco was always an android then why is he considred "Dead"? |
Roscoe was Roger's client in this episode, not the man he was negotiating with. So I don't think Roscoe counts as the dead one here. But really, who knows this episode's main plot doesn't make much sense. I'm hoping it'll all fit in the grand scheme of things better once season three comes out.
muchlove
-Dork
| Captain Maw |
04-14-2005 07:41 PM |
well... i watched day of the advent, and i find a few questions:
was angel fired right there, or fired previously?
the satellite? did paradigm recover it?
that was russian right, on the piece of the satellite?
what did it say?
| Pero_Is_Crying |
04-16-2005 10:23 AM |
I liked Negotiation with the Dead the second time I saw it. It didn't make any sense to me until I saw the rest of the series. Now it's actually got me wondering if maybe a certain informant doesn't still have all his memories as well. How else does he always seem to know about everything if he just seems to sit in that bar all the time? The Owls are not what they seem.
What I did not like about NWtD was the totally tacked on battle with Glinda, the Good Mech of the North. Was there even a reason for that apart from the need to have Big O make something very dead in every episode? Was Glinda out to finish RD's job and whack Rosco? Or, did she just decide to go for a walk when Roger, Angel, and Dorothy set off the security system in Casa de Wayneright? And what of the Munchkins? I demand flaming munchkins!
Ahem.
On to Day of the Advent-- I think Angel was fired previously but not in an episode because I don't remember seeing it. (Don't trust my memory though, Captain. It's Paradigm City worthy.) That's just what it sounds like from the way Alex talks to her. And I'm not sure that was Russian on the Satellite. In fact, after seeing The Show Must Go On I'm not even sure that was a satellite!
| Schoolie |
04-16-2005 12:40 PM |
About Negotiatioin with the Dead: Yeah, this episode definitely has that "huh?" factor - what was the purpose of Glinda's attack - was it something Alex set up? But it's entertaining, nonetheless.
About Day of the Advent: This is one of my least favorite episodes of Season 2. It's got some neat interaction with Roger and Angel - and it carries the overall plot along with the three foreign megadeuses. And we get to see Dorothy interact with the girl and learn more about humanity.
Other than that, the whole satellite thing is a neat concept - but then by the final episode . . . {Spoiler if you haven't seen it all!!!!} . . .
we see that it's a red herring of sorts. I guess it's just another one of those things that was being "staged."
| Mr. Peabody |
04-17-2005 06:15 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Pero_Is_Crying
What I did not like about NWtD was the totally tacked on battle with Glinda, the Good Mech of the North. Was there even a reason for that apart from the need to have Big O make something very dead in every episode? Was Glinda out to finish RD's job and whack Rosco? Or, did she just decide to go for a walk when Roger, Angel, and Dorothy set off the security system in Casa de Wayneright
|
Glinda was heading straight for the Fitzgerald mansion so odds are good that Gordon sent her to capture Roscoe and his memories. After Glinda was destroyed by Big O, Gordon sent Gabriel to accomplish the task. A good argument for Gordon never trusting Gabriel and sending him to get the memories because he was out of options.