Discuss the Current Episode

Pygmalion 01-14-2005 06:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
Big O's turntable is in a hemispherical underground chamber. We see many of these in the show. Where did they come from? What are they for? Because we see so many people using these chambers for different purposes, I think the terror effect doesn't work in them, just in the tunnels.

Of course, if one has to get to the chambers through the tunnels, the terror would still be an effective way to keep folks out.

quote:
Big O doesn't live in the chamber, though, but right in the building with Roger. Why? I think so he can influence Roger and Norman telepathically. Actual mechanical work would be easier in the spacious underground chamber, and it takes extra time for Big O to be transported there and rotated to a horizontal position. A fast elevator for Roger, with Big O on the train and ready to go, would be quicker.

I agree with the last, but I don't see the advantage of working on Big O in the chamber, rather than in the Smith mansion "garage." Unless Norman uses the Pairie Dog to fetch parts, they are probably going to have to come by surface streets, which means the parts would be going through the house anyway. Besides, it's easier for Norman to hop the elevator up to the eighth floor to baste the roast, instead of taking the much longer trip up from the underground chamber.

Pygmalion
LillyRose 01-14-2005 11:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato

Random notes...

Big O doesn't live in the chamber, though, but right in the building with Roger. Why? I think so he can influence Roger and Norman telepathically.


And Dorothy too. Especially Dorothy. Yes! I do think this is so. However, I do not think this has any malicious intent/manipulation behind it, but that it's more like a survival instinct.A megadeus needs its' dominus happy and in good mental/physical condition. As per dominus stability you could argue that
spoiler (highlight to read):
both Alan and Alex are rejected because both are...well...insane.
So in its own self interest Big O is going to have a lot of interest in the goings on in the Smith mansion.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm rambling...I've been thinking a lot lately about the connections between dominus/android/megadeus and any relevance to latter events. It's spilling over into everything else....
Schoolie 01-14-2005 06:31 PM
Strange story for me on this one:
I used to not like this episode (Underground Terror) for some reason. Then on the third or fourth watching of it, it quickly became one of my favorites.

I'm not sure why - it may be that I know more about the world of Paradigm and have more solid theories on what that "expo" was all about.

I think the biggest thing I liked (despite the weird mystery and Schwarzwald) was the development of Dorothy and Roger's relationship. It really introduces us to who Dorothy is and how deep of a character she is, inclding her link to the megadueses - as well as a sign of humanity.

Anywho, great episode - and that Archetype megadeuse is nasty! One of the best Season 1 mecha fights.
Dork 01-14-2005 06:46 PM
I'm jumping a head a bit here, but I was just Missing Cat when I noticed something I hadn't before. When Roger goes to Big Ear to gather information on Eugene after Dorothy's taken the music playing in the Speakeasy is the same blues music Dorothy was playing at the end of act 3.

It's possible that Roger was beginning to realize that Dorothy's emotions were real just as she was taken away from him. If so, that's a pretty spiffy way of tying together her first signs of jealousy over him and his first signs of really caring about her as a feeling individual.

anywho ^_^


muchlove
-dork
Zopwx2 01-14-2005 06:49 PM
Just a bit of info: Act 4 was the episode that finally convinced me to watch the whole show. I was determined to find out what was going on.
Madrona 01-14-2005 07:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
Just a bit of info: Act 4 was the episode that finally convinced me to watch the whole show. I was determined to find out what was going on.


On a similar note: Act 4 was the first one I saw and I was hooked from there. I suppose I liked the fact that the main character had some weakness. He knows he should be able to overcome it but can't. I just love that in a character.

All these unstable Bigs keep going after Dorothy. Big O just protects her. Interesting is it not?

Madrona
A Clockwork Tomato 01-14-2005 07:30 PM
Not too much to say about this episode. It's generally weak, with a few obvious script errors, especially in the voiceover at the end. Angel is portrayed as manipulative, callous, and incompetent. Also, she doesn't look anywhere near as hot in that pink jumpsuit as she does in DAY OF THE ADVENT.

The Dorothy scenes are the best parts of the episode. Of course, that's true of a lot of episodes. It shows the pattern of Roger making a personal remark about her androidness, and her slapping him down in some way. In this case, he makes a comment about her "mimicking humans," and she snubs him, then when the light goes out, she turns on her forehead light, thus acting like an android rather than a human, and of course he gets upset about THAT, too! There's no pleasing some people. But she succeeded in annoying him, and that was the main thing.

This is the episode where it becomes clear that she is attracted to Roger -- enough to become jealous of Angel, at least. "Even I sometimes feel like playing the blues."

This epsiode has been the source of a few funny pictures:



Jane 01-14-2005 10:54 PM
This is kind of random, but sometimes Angel's hair just drives me crazy. In Electric City, when Roger pulls her down the tunnel, it stays in those unrealistic curls while they are running at full speed.

I don't know if I would like "Big O" as much if I had only seen season 1. For a long time Angel has no character, and a lot of the animation is pretty flat.
A Clockwork Tomato 01-15-2005 11:55 AM
This is a great episode. It has a good story and also really starts the ball rolling on a lot of plots that will continue through Act 26. We see Angel worming her way into the Paradigm Corp, we see Alex Rosewater and learn that he knows a lot more than he ought to, and we meed Ol' Crispy for the first time.

Schwarzwald is a loon, pure and simple. For one thing, he's a hypocrite. It's just like him to claim that he wants to reveal the truth and then burn all his writings. For that matter, he's been drawing a Paradigm Corp. paycheck all his life, but he doesn't hesitate to call Roger Smith a "lapdog" for taking one little job from them. He's a pyromaniac. I'm almost certain he's a misogynist, too, from that "What is that woman doing?" line -- as if the presence of a woman demeaned the macho scene with Roger. And he lusts after a Megadeus because of the damage he can do with one.

The Underground is a strange place. Does Roger see snippets of his own memories down there, or are they things that have soaked into the walls? The dream with his mother showed sunlight, something people in Paradigm have never seen. It might be a real memory from long ago.

Dorothy is magnificent in this episode. She's actually nicer to Roger than usual, putting his head on her lap, and actually explaining a little about herself as they walk down the tunnel -- normally, she reacts very negatively to any kind of personal questioning. But Roger's just had a bad shock and a nasty fall.

The Archetype really, really, REALLY wants Dorothy. Even in the middle of the fight with Big O, we see the Archetype move his head down to where the cockpit is and talk and blink through it, trying to draw Dorothy out. By that time, she has scooted to be back side of the cockpit, and is huddled so she can't see the Archetype. It has been trying to draw her in the whole time.

I should mention, too, that this episode shows a pattern of how Dorothy behaves in such a crisis. It is very difficult for her to flee. She can usually do it if told to, especially if Roger leads the way, but she will stop if left to her own devices. She didn't try to escape the Archetype until Roger pulled her along. Then she could run. We see her simply watch danger in many episodes. We'll see it in MISSING CAT, for example.

Does the Archetype have a cockpit? A lot of people on the forums have assumed that a Megadeus doesn't have a cockpit unless the animators show us the cockpit, but I think this is bogus. (Anyway, by that logic, Big Venus doesn't have a cockpit). There's plenty of room for one behind the Archtype's throat armor.

This is the second episode in which we see hemispherical underground chambers. We'll see more in MISSING CAT and in many episodes, including LEVIATHAN and HYDRA.

The whole Expo '04 setup is odd. Admittedly, the hemispherical chambers don't seem to have a terror effect, unlike the tunnels, so there's no particular reason someone 40+ years ago couldn't have used one for some kind of exposition. But it's still odd. The presence of a Megadeus is obviously unintentional; not part of the exposition. The use of "04" is a meaningless repetition of the episode number, just like the Leviathan having "17" painted on him.

Just before firing the missiles, Roger was so intent on giving an impressive speech that he forgot to set the fuses! The missiles went at least five seconds before the warheads exploded. Sloppy work, Negotiator!

In the last scene, Dorothy reverts to form. Roger asks her, "Aren't you cold?" and she gives him a snippy answer and does a flip to rub his nose in the fact that she's not human. She usually does this. She's not as obnoxious about it as usual because she knows it's mostly a joke -- he's repeating a question she asked him before -- but she still does it.

That's one complicated android.

This episode has also been the source of some of my favorite funny pictures:



Wingnut 01-19-2005 03:17 PM
Bring Back My Ghost is always the sourse of one of the most odd things ever to happen. Gouss empties his entire clip at Bonnie missing him every time with varying degrees of inaccuracy, and then after he is empty he manages to throw the gun and smack Bonnie square in the nose. The guy can't shoot straight to save his life, but manages to throw an object and hit the target dead on. Wierd.
A Clockwork Tomato 01-27-2005 01:05 PM
Sorry not to have been updating the thread -- I've been busy, out of town, etc.

But don't anyone stand on ceremony! If I fall behind, feel free to run with the current episode.
Jane 01-27-2005 11:07 PM
It's funny how there are always things I miss the first, or second, or tenth time I watch a show. For instance, I just caught that Dastun smashes his styrophoam cup as Roger smashes Beck's machine. Funny stuff.
Captain Maw 03-21-2005 08:48 PM
Has this thread died??? lats entry was months ago!

what-ever. i dont care if nobody replies or gives a fine sh*t

Ok, "today's" episode starts at 1:30 ET at Adult Swim

Bring Back My Ghost...
Captain Maw 03-23-2005 09:34 PM
Yeah, the thread died. and its on the top thingie.
bah! what a waste.
Schoolie 03-23-2005 10:48 PM
Okay, I'll put in a post to keep the thread a-goin!

Last night's show was Legacy of Amadeus - one of my favorites!

Here's a question: In the flashback sequence and framed picture (I think), we see Instro as a "boy" - even with a youthful face and hair. What's the deal with that? He's an android!

Here are two of my theories:

Instro was a "work in progress" - having different bodies as he matured. His "father" Amadeus made these changes. The more human appearance changed to a more openly robotic facade because Instro accepted his role as an android with very human qualities on his "inside." Also, this latest form allowed an easier interface to control the giant Constance robot.

Another thought is that maybe Instro envisions himself with a human apperance. I can't remember if the "human" looking Instro "boy" appeared in the flashback or the picture frame, so I may be completely off on that one.
Captain Maw 03-27-2005 12:49 AM
they dont show the face of the little boy.

it probably is Instro, with hair. maybe he lost it with age?


the last episode was "Call from the Past" Angel and Roger, about to die, and all they can do is argue??? wow, they are sad.
Pygmalion 03-27-2005 08:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
Last night's show was Legacy of Amadeus - one of my favorites!

Here's a question: In the flashback sequence and framed picture (I think), we see Instro as a "boy" - even with a youthful face and hair. What's the deal with that? He's an android!

I think the simplest explanation would be that Instro's memories are those of Amadeus's original son, as R. Dorothy's are those of Wayneright's daughter. For some reason, Instro's face is not built to be as human-appearing as Dorothy's. Perhaps Instro was prior work, and Dorothy's more-human appearance is because she was built later, or perhaps Amadeus didn't care so much what Insto looked like, as long as he could play superbly.

Pygmalion
A Clockwork Tomato 03-27-2005 08:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
they dont show the face of the little boy.


Sure they do. It's shown in a flashback at the end of the episode. In the context, it's clearly a memory of Instro's, of having been a human child.
Captain Maw 03-27-2005 10:20 PM
woops, my bad, i'm sorry if i dont own the freak'in DVD's!!! haha, jk.

well, than i'd have to agree with Pygmalion and/or Galatea (haha jk)

well, mon.'s act is : Missing Cat.
Schoolie 03-28-2005 10:47 PM
Missing Cat - another one of my fav's - probably because it deals with Dorothy. Pretty touching stuff. I'll have to watch it again tonight and come up with some q's/comments.