Discuss the Current Episode

A Clockwork Tomato 09-18-2004 10:13 PM
Tonight's virtual episode is LEVIATHAN, one of my favorites. Watch it on DVD or off-air recordings, and post your thoughts!
Mike 09-18-2004 11:01 PM
I haven't seen Leviathan since it aired but I do remember this: It has Schwarzwald so it automatically rules.
Schoolie 09-19-2004 02:37 PM
I haven't seen this episode in a while, but it has some cool elements.

-We see Angel teaming up with Roger more.

-Instro returns! And he plays organ for a church - sweet!

-One of the coolest scenes = Dorothy walking outside the cathedral with the fluttering papers from Schwarzwald.

-The awesome shocking revelation - that Schwarzwald is already dead! That was a cool twist and innovative in not showing some elaborate death scene.
AndroidZeroX 09-21-2004 01:36 PM
Yeah i like this episode for many reasons but mainly the environment in which Big O an leviathen fight. And if im thinking of the right episode (its been a while) it is when Roger an Dorothy go donw an explore the underground tunnels which i think is pretty cool
Dark-0 09-21-2004 04:51 PM
A great ep of Seebach still searching the wastelands for another megaduce and finds Leviantan no17 what a entrance. My favoirte part would be the theme song when the dragon makes its debut to paradigm city ("Prayer 14 St" from the season 2 soundtrack) Did Big-O act on his own again to rescue Dorothy from the dragon? At the end I see Dorothy doesn't look happy when Angel appears and tells Roger that Seebach hasn't been among the living for a very long time so who the hell was piloting Big-Duo? Discover the Underground terror and the archtype?
Dork 09-21-2004 05:00 PM
My favorite parts about this episode are the Liviathan-influenced Dorothy clatter. I've loved that scene with the warbling (and the pose!) since the first time I saw it.

I was thinking about that scene where she's on the building last night. 'I don't know. Are the same? You've lost your conscience'. She sounds so smug in that scene. Like she thinks she's better than him. Dorothy certainly has grown a lot in the last 17 episodes, and not always for good. I like that about her. She's truely human.


muchlove
-dork
A Clockwork Tomato 09-25-2004 01:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
My favorite parts about this episode are the Liviathan-influenced Dorothy clatter. I've loved that scene with the warbling (and the pose!) since the first time I saw it.

I was thinking about that scene where she's on the building last night. 'I don't know. Are the same? You've lost your conscience'. She sounds so smug in that scene. Like she thinks she's better than him.


I think she finds Leviathan's offer to join him and become an uber-monster to be contemptible.

The Leviathan is a very strange monster. It's sort of the opposite of a neutron bomb -- he destroyed the Military Police vehicles but left the people untouched.

The views of the Wasteland highlight how small Paradigm is, and how much bigger the inhabited part of the world used to be. It's grown terribly insular, to the point where Alex Rosewater seems to think that the Wasteland starts where the domes end.

I really liked the juxtaposition of Instro and Leviathan, with Dorothy moving accidentally from one to the other. Instro is human and caring; Leviathan is neither. And the music was very effective.

When Roger took his stroll in the Underground, he came across a typewriter. Who left it there? Schwartzwald was long gone by that time. Alex and his workers had obviously dragged off the remains of the Archetype, but it seems out of character for Alex to leave the message behind. Maybe Angel put it there, to warn Roger that the Underground was full of surprises.

Dorothy used Big O's hand controls!

Schwarzwald was at his incoherent, yammering best in this one. No doubt he was off in the Wasteland looking for a Megadeus to destroy the city with, though if asked he would no doubt have claimed that he was Seeking the Truth.

The final scene with Angel is interesting. Angel looks very unhappy and avoids making eye contact with Roger and Dorothy. Why?
Tony Waynewrong 09-25-2004 08:09 AM
You know what I found interesting about Dorothy's development was the fact that she wasn't terrified when she was confronted with the Leviathan; as oppose to her reaction to the Archetype. After her initial reaction (her computer speak rambling), she seemed to be in total control of her actions. I wonder, though: Was she sure that she could handle the Leviathan herself, or was she reassured by Big O?
A Clockwork Tomato 09-25-2004 10:06 AM
Tonight's virtual episode is Act 18: THE GREATEST VILLAIN. Watch it any way you can, and discuss it, starting tonight!
Dark-0 09-25-2004 02:45 PM
I love this ep. Beck and his goons are funny as hell. I called this ep "Fro Boy Vs Crow Boy". I guess everybody favorite part would that transformation of Rx3 with the song "Token" playing. Favorite scenes would be Dorothy being the Negioter and Beck playing his role and Roger denying of Dorothy being his lover. Big-O wasted Beck robot within seconds. ouch.....
Big Money 09-25-2004 03:04 PM
I kinda like this episode, but I kinda hate it at the same time... It turned one of my brothers off of Big O when he saw it on TV... It isn't a good episode to use to introduce someone to the series.

But afro Beck was genius, as was the Power Rangers-inspired robot at the end.
Schoolie 09-25-2004 03:55 PM
I agree - this is a fun, great episode that fits well within the rest of the series. So one would have to watch other episodes before they see this one.

The Beck-fro is great. And the Roger/Dorothy tension is hilarious. Plus, I love the whole Dorothy as negotiator thing - that's one thing this episode offers that none of the other ones do.
M.S. Feather 09-27-2004 07:15 AM
Ah, my favorite episode!
Quite frankly, I loved everything about it. I enjoyed watching the creators take a little breather from the thickening plot line and just have fun with the characters.
Seeing Roger get kidnapped and Dorothy coming to his rescue was extremely entertaining but I’m afraid afro Beck stole the show. Cool

Beck’s brilliant escape from prison and the RX3 sequences were probably the highlights…for me anyway. ^_^
Dork 09-28-2004 11:59 PM
Ah, act 18, truely one of the funniest episodes in my anime collection (and I have Azumanga Daioh). Afro Beck is hilarious and almost worth the price of the DVD himself, but my favorite jokes are the ones of Dorothy and Roger's relationship. Dorothy aiming at Roger's face when she punches the glass; priceless. But then, the louse did deserve it.

Hot android on Tomato action perposterous? Sounds like someone's trying to over compensate for something, Roger Smith. And judging from the adoring way your looking at Dorothy I think it's safe to say we all know what it is.

What's truely amazing about this episode, is that Chiaki was able to write such a comedic episode that didn't betray the characters (for the most part) or the character relationship. In it's own way it might have contributed to Roger's character arch in season two in a meaningful way. Roger's almost desperately protective of Dorothy in this episode, which begins to really worry him later in act 19. . . building of course to the romantic beach scene gone horribly wrong in act 20. Tis the circle of life.


by the by

Does anybody else miss this show or it just me?


muchlove
-dork
Zopwx2 09-29-2004 12:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork

Does anybody else miss this show or it just me?


Its just you. Big Grin

The first time I saw this episode I hated it, I was still all antsy and tense about all the act 13-14 stuff and was wondering when they'd get down to bussiness and instead they show me beck building a megazord. I was pissed.

But the episode has grown on me and now I like it.

Plus the whole power ranger power up sequence was hilarious in the context of big o.
Christina Perry 09-29-2004 12:47 AM
My favorite scene is when Roger and his Robot clone.

I love then both.

*Sigh*

Drooling
IvanG 10-05-2004 11:10 PM
The way that Roger wastes Beck at the end of the episode is absolutely the funniest moment of the series... the way Beck's stupid robot was assembled, and the way they were both (though especially Beck) striking cheesy robot poses was just hilarious. And then when I saw Roger hose Beck down with a simple machine gun... God damn, my rips cracked.

Great episode.
DragonMir 10-05-2004 11:26 PM
This is by far and away my fav episode. From Norman and Datsun fumbling through the kidnappers' phone call to Dorothy motoring on her little bike (notice the big jump she makes out of the tunnel just like Roger's ride does) to her memory core (or whatever you call it) have a protective boomerang installed. It was so great. Not to mention the Dorothy/Roger lover dialoge. By the way, does it strike anyone else as a little odd that Beck claps with his feet? Is he a monkey? The robot that Beck and his cohorts assemble is a great Transformers knock-off too. Every time I get a little sad (sniff, sniff) I pop in this episode and BAM, I'm happy as a kitten with a ball of string all over again! Big Grin
Travis Bickle 10-07-2004 05:50 PM
This is my favorite of the Beck episodes. I especially like Dorothy's part in it.

If I do remember correctly, there's also a mechanized head programmed to scream "Big O" repeatedly in Roger's voice in order to summon it.

Is it me or do one of Beck's Henchmen look like the Joker from Batman?
M.S. Feather 10-08-2004 02:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Is it me or do one of Beck's Henchmen look like the Joker from Batman?


Actually, I always thought Dove looked more like Marilyn Manson. Tongue