Discuss the Current Episode

dawnstrider 07-12-2004 01:41 PM
Even though I don't really have a TV and haven't seen Big O in ages, I must comment on this episode seeing as how it is one of my top three favorites along with RD and Winter Night Phantom Smile .

It takes such a esteemed place due to what it revealed about Dorothy's personality and more of the subtleties of her relationship with Roger. Dorothy really came alive to me, in a sense, during this episode. Up to this point, Dorothy was still somewhat in the background characterwise for me at least, because they didn't really push the question of what could be going on under her mechanical exterior. But the attachment she showed to Pero was very endearing, and Roger's initial outward protest gave way to a silent acceptence, and that, to me, spoke more volumes about their relationship than words.
(Just a note: No, I have no threories or concerns about any posible romantic involement between Roger and Dorothy, or Roger and Angel. It's not really an important aspect to me Smile . )

I'm curious about that song Dorothy had sung to Pero (if I'm remembering correctly); it didn't seem like she was singing to appease someone else, nor did it seem like a reflex controled by her innate programming. Maybe it was a rousing of an old memory of the past? I would have liked to have looked more into that.

As I believe ACT pointed out, Dorothy was at her most irrational - or "emotional"? - in this episode; and I got the feeling that even Roger was a little reluctant to let he go, considering all the good he did for Dorothy Smile .

So, to reiterate: A very sweet, very touching, and rather sad episode - not just because what was lost in the end, but because of what could have been obtained, but was unfortunalty pushed further out of reach Frown .
Ozymandius Jones 07-12-2004 07:06 PM
I have one thing to say before I even start:

*ahem*

DIE, EUGENE, DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry. I hate Eugene. I can stand all the other bad guys, but I just want to break Eugene's nose or something, and normally I'm not a violent person.

However, I do like this episode a lot because I like sad, angsty episodes. I always feel so sorry for Dorothy.
Tickle Tickle 07-13-2004 03:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandius Jones
I have one thing to say before I even start:

*ahem*

DIE, EUGENE, DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry. I hate Eugene. I can stand all the other bad guys, but I just want to break Eugene's nose or something, and normally I'm not a violent person.


=(

You hate him more than Giseng?

=(

sniff.
Ozymandius Jones 07-13-2004 06:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R-Umino
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandius Jones
I have one thing to say before I even start:

*ahem*

DIE, EUGENE, DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry. I hate Eugene. I can stand all the other bad guys, but I just want to break Eugene's nose or something, and normally I'm not a violent person.


=(

You hate him more than Giseng?

=(

sniff.


What do you mean, "SNIFF" ?!?! He mutates puppies, kitties and babies. What could ever possess me to like him??? Yes, I hate him more than Giseng...althoug Giseng runs a close second.
Tickle Tickle 07-13-2004 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandius Jones
What do you mean, "SNIFF" ?!?! He mutates puppies, kitties and babies. What could ever possess me to like him??? Yes, I hate him more than Giseng...althoug Giseng runs a close second.


He didn't mutate animals, he mutated humans into animals.

What could?

hmm..

Because he's an evil, yellow teeth, homosexual, bellbottom wearing, insane genius? =D
A Clockwork Tomato 07-16-2004 02:50 PM
Don't forget to watch Act 9: BECK COMES BACK Saturday, July 17. We'll start discussing it Saturday night. (It's a great episode with all sorts of highlights and some mysteries all its own.)

And you have until then to post additional thoughts about MISSING CAT.

My current MISSING CAT speculation: So way wasn't Pero happy to see his folks? Perhaps he was still mad at them for not allowing him to indulge in catnip? "But Mom, all the cool cats use catnip!"
Penny Century 07-17-2004 11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
My current MISSING CAT speculation: So way wasn't Pero happy to see his folks? Perhaps he was still mad at them for not allowing him to indulge in catnip? "But Mom, all the cool cats use catnip!"


Hm. I kinda thought Pero was happy to see his folks and just started hissing out of fear when Eugene showed up. But I would imagine that the time he spent with Dorothy, who loved him as a kitten, may have been a little more uplifting than his recent time with his parents, who must have been desperate to get his human form back. Roy was a little boy, after all. As long as he was loved unconditionally, who can know whether he was unhappy as a cat?
A Clockwork Tomato 07-17-2004 11:59 PM
A great episode, though marred by several extremely thin plot devices and the way the show's creators can't resist making all the scenes with Beck as if they were Lupin III episodes.

Note how Dorothy becomes fascinated with the painting of Mary and then decides to let Roger paint her. He must have asked her before and been turned down. (The idea of her turning him down is interesting in itself.)

Once again, the animators overused the Griffon and made it ridiculous. It leapt through a brick wall 20 feet off the ground and wasn't even scratched! And Roger and Dorothy's managing to find a mile-long corridor inside a simple cabin, and then leaping a hundred feet into a speeding car, was a BIT excessive.

The plot was almost unbearably thin in spots. Beck's frame of Roger wouldn't have lasted five minutes. Both Wise Sr. and Wise Jr. would have cleared him. Wise's concern over his son's parternity was a complete non-issue; everyone who survived the Event was also guessing about who their family was, I suppose. Now, if Wise had awakened wearing a footman's uniform, but had killed a well-dressed young man and stolen his clothes, he'd have had something to hide!

Where did Beck's robot come from?

But all these are quibbles. This is really a Roger-Dorothy episode, and all the other action is mere backdrop. This is the episode where Dorothy admits her love for Roger (twice: once directly and once in a hypothetical question).

It's when their eyes meet that she manages to break Beck's hold over her. Pure romance!

Roger expressed his love for Dorothy by refusing to let Norman mess with her mind; he'd rather take the chance that it would kill him someday.

And while he didn't answer her second question, he didn't flare up and yell at her for asking it. He knows that she loves him, and he accepts it.

It's a good start, Crowboy!
evanASF27 07-18-2004 12:06 AM
WHAT?! O_o

Oh come on..it's a classic comical episode...methinks you are merely focusing your attention on the Roger-Dorothy bit...Tongue

I like how beck is pwned time and time again Big Grin
A Clockwork Tomato 07-18-2004 12:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
WHAT?! O_o

Oh come on..it's a classic comical episode...methinks you are merely focusing your attention on the Roger-Dorothy bit...Tongue

I like how beck is pwned time and time again Big Grin


That's what I mean about it being like a Lupin episode. Lupin generally suffers one embarrassing defeat after another (in spite of his coolness and superior skills) until he finally wins through in the end. Since Beck's the villain, he suffers one embarrassing defeat after another and then LOSES.

As in Lupin, a lot of the gadgets and situations are dopey-looking rather than cool. So Beck Victory Deluxe is a uniquely dorky robot. It looks goofy from any angle, especially the cockpit, with Beck's overstuffed armchair and the ludicrous controls, and it's even goofier in motion than it is when standing still.
evanASF27 07-18-2004 12:18 AM
yah but isn't it usually Pops that gets beat up over the course of the ep? Wink Tongue


But I see your point now. Anime Smile
M.S. Feather 07-18-2004 02:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
WHAT?! O_o

Oh come on..it's a classic comical episode...methinks you are merely focusing your attention on the Roger-Dorothy bit...Tongue

I like how beck is pwned time and time again Big Grin


That's what I mean about it being like a Lupin episode. Lupin generally suffers one embarrassing defeat after another (in spite of his coolness and superior skills) until he finally wins through in the end. Since Beck's the villain, he suffers one embarrassing defeat after another and then LOSES.

As in Lupin, a lot of the gadgets and situations are dopey-looking rather than cool. So Beck Victory Deluxe is a uniquely dorky robot. It looks goofy from any angle, especially the cockpit, with Beck's overstuffed armchair and the ludicrous controls, and it's even goofier in motion than it is when standing still.

I agree that the Victory Deluxe is rather dopey but that's why it was great, it looked like it fell straight out of an old B-movie. Actually all of Beck's tastes seem to have originated from another era. With the whole gold obsession and attitude alone he looked like he would fit in a classic seventies blaxploitation film...minus the racism. XP

As for the episode itself, up until the end it was pretty lame. Not horrible, I just hated how the bulk of the episode consisted of Roger and Dorothy traveling back and forth between Roger and Wise's homes. The story didn't seem to go anywhere and seemed a little dull. But I honestly think the end made up for all of that, Beck Vs Roger moments are always the best! Interestingly enough the funniest moments in Lupin III was Lupin Vs Zenigata. Big Grin (Especially that one time Zenigata threatened to tell people he found Lupin with a young naked boy. LMFAO!!!!)
Dark-0 07-18-2004 04:31 PM
One of many great Ep from Season 1. I loved this one we see Beck doing his feet trick. Did anybody notice the "Batman" type of stunts the car driving by remote control (the watch) when Roger and Dorothy appeared to Mr. Wise and ask where is the drop off point and before Mr Wise finish his sentence there were already gone, nice. I loved the battle, it proves that Big-0 is the man, a laser hit him and bonces off the super dome that is sick. With one piston full extended punch the body exploses leaving only the head very nice, this ep is the best.....
Tickle Tickle 07-18-2004 05:03 PM
I liked this episode.

And speaking of Beck, has anyone notice how different he is from the first two episodes, to the rest of the series?

In the first two acts, Beck is very bishonen yet in act 9 and the rest of the episodes he appears in, he's a big creep. He's got this goatee now, his eyes are darker. He looks like some drugie.

Also, I own a cel from this episode ^^

It's of the Beck Victory Deluxe. It's my first (and only) anime cel. Will trade for any Eugene cel. >.>;;
Ozymandius Jones 07-20-2004 06:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R-Umino
I liked this episode.

And speaking of Beck, has anyone notice how different he is from the first two episodes, to the rest of the series?

In the first two acts, Beck is very bishonen yet in act 9 and the rest of the episodes he appears in, he's a big creep. He's got this goatee now, his eyes are darker. He looks like some drugie.

Also, I own a cel from this episode ^^

It's of the Beck Victory Deluxe. It's my first (and only) anime cel. Will trade for any Eugene cel. >.>;;


Hmm...any Eugegen cel, hmm? If I had a Eugene cel, I'd gladly trade it for the Victory Deluxe...of course, I'd BURN the cel first...to re-interate a previous post of mine, DIE, Eugene, DIE!!! Er, ahem. Getting off the topic...

Beck is my second favorite villian. He's almost as cute as Roger. And I love the convoluted revenge plot, although it does show just how not-cut-out-for-criminality Beck is. Maybe he should be a domineus??? Tongue

I need a pen like his, although I wouldn't use it to control Dorothy. I'd find some other andriod.

The Beck Victory Deluxe is so dumb that it's funny. I like the finger lasers. And Beck's response to Dove: "What do you think we're going to do? RUN AWAY!!!!"

And, of course, the Roger-Dorothy parts. Heheh.

One: Roger's painting skills. As Evan says: O.o. It's nice to see he's not good at everything.

Two: "I love you, Roger Smith". As an R+D shipper, I have just this to say: YAY!

My least favorite part of this episode was the car. Right, they're going to jump THAT far and not hurt themselves. Oh, wait...she's an android...welll, HE would definatly hurt himself. Although it did give Dorothy a chance to do that flippy thing. And the car must have some shocks. It didn't even ROCK when Dorothy, who supposidly weighs more than a normal person, landed on the roof. This is not normal car behavior.
A Clockwork Tomato 07-25-2004 12:18 PM
Hundred-degree temperatures here in Western Oregon fried my brain yesterday, and I neglected to remind everyone that this weekend's episode is WINTER NIGHT PHANTOM.

Watch and comment!
Dark-0 07-25-2004 01:02 PM
The Begining of the foreigners entering Paradigm City. Roger being the narrartor was cool. This epsiode felt like a detective type of story line. See Datsun crying was kind of sad espically we never seen this type of emotional behavoir from a cop. Question I know that Serbril had a daughter but we see a young datsun and Serbril embracing each other so what I am guessing is that Datsun kills his girlfriend can someone explain this?
Wingnut 07-25-2004 01:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dark-0
The Begining of the foreigners entering Paradigm City. Roger being the narrartor was cool. This epsiode felt like a detective type of story line. See Datsun crying was kind of sad espically we never seen this type of emotional behavoir from a cop. Question I know that Serbril had a daughter but we see a young datsun and Serbril embracing each other so what I am guessing is that Datsun kills his girlfriend can someone explain this?

It's called Re-incarnation too early. In WNP it was just symbolism, but in the later eps it bacame a warped reality, much like the rest of the city became.
A Clockwork Tomato 07-25-2004 03:18 PM
In a very real sense, WINTER NIGHT PHANTOM is the first episode in Season 2. It introduces the theme of crazy foreigners trying to destroy the city. It shows Alex Rosewater conniving in the assassination of the elder statesmen who stand between himself and his plans (which will be extended in R-D to the "tomatoes" who have the elder statesmens' memories). It's our first hint of reincarnation in Paradigm. Most importantly, perhaps, it shows Dan Dastun and Sybil Rowan caught up somehow in a movie that, quite possibly, is never seen by anyone but themselves.

And it's all done so well that many people consider this to be a great example of a "stand-alone episode!"

Some interesting tidbits:

For once, Roger shows up in Dastun's office on a social call. Roger's coming out of his shell and has stopped avoiding Dastun except on business, which apparently he's been doing since leaving the force.

Dastun's description of the movie includes, "It's bone-chilling cold." That's not something you get from a movie. It's something you get from being there.

Did Dastun see the movie before the Event? In Act 25, the movie suddenly appears in the theatre, and Little Dan is there, too. I suspect the movie itself is a portent of a coming Event.

It's interesting how the brass at Paradigm Corp scoff at the idea of foreigners. This is obviously convenient for Alex. But it's even more interesting that Paradigm's "foreigners" are nothing of the kind -- they're exiles, not true foreigners at all! (I always thought Vera's accent was fake!)
Penny Century 07-25-2004 04:09 PM
You know, it occurs to me that this would be an excellent thread to replicate -- as in, to copy word for word -- over at the Adult Swim boards. If people wouldn't mind double-posting their weekend discussion updates, that is.