Discuss the Current Episode
| Wingnut |
04-13-2004 08:49 PM |
Roger to the Paradigm brass about going after Schwarzwald.
| quote: |
| "You know, I'm not exactly a bounty hunter." |
Considering the VA alter ego he has that just cracked me up last night. I don't know why it never hit me like that until now.
| Bentar |
04-13-2004 10:01 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Wingnut
Roger to the Paradigm brass about going after Schwarzwald.
| quote: |
| "You know, I'm not exactly a bounty hunter." |
Considering the VA alter ego he has that just cracked me up last night. I don't know why it never hit me like that until now. |
Odd. The same thought occured to me to for the first time last night. Like I hadn't seen that episode a half-dozen times already? It had to be an in-joke - but was it in the origional japanese, or was it an add-in by the english dubbers? The english captions may tell.
On a happy note, I'm exchanging belated birthday & Christmas DVD presents with a friend of mine - I'm getting Big O II vols 1 & 2! WOOHOO!
| quote: |
Originally posted by Wingnut
Roger to the Paradigm brass about going after Schwarzwald.
| quote: |
| "You know, I'm not exactly a bounty hunter." |
Considering the VA alter ego he has that just cracked me up last night. I don't know why it never hit me like that until now. |
Yay, I thought that was funny too.
I'll have to check my Big O's subtitles now.
| Pygmalion |
04-14-2004 11:50 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Bentar
| quote: |
Originally posted by Wingnut
Roger to the Paradigm brass about going after Schwarzwald.
| quote: |
| "You know, I'm not exactly a bounty hunter." |
Considering the VA alter ego he has that just cracked me up last night. I don't know why it never hit me like that until now. |
Odd. The same thought occured to me to for the first time last night. Like I hadn't seen that episode a half-dozen times already? It had to be an in-joke - but was it in the origional japanese, or was it an add-in by the english dubbers? The english captions may tell.
|
From the DVD subtitle:
"If it's a bounty hunter you're looking for, I'm afraid I'm an unsuitable choice."
Pygmalion
| Bentar |
04-15-2004 01:40 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Pygmalion
From the DVD subtitle:
"If it's a bounty hunter you're looking for, I'm afraid I'm an unsuitable choice."
Pygmalion |
Thanks
Pygmalion!

So assuming (I know, I know) that they did the english captions the same way in season 2 as season 1 (using the japanese dialog as the source), the 'bounty hunter' remark should be in the origional japanese. So either Big O's writers A) Were oblivious to the fact Steven Blum provided the english voice for the bounty hunter Spike (Cowboy Bebop) - or - B) They fully intended the in-joke. I choose to believe option B
On a happy note, they actually got the credits on tonights episode correct![**] Hurray!!
On a sad note, apparently tomorrow's episode -
Stripes will be the last of Big O for awhile, at least according to Adult Swim's online schedule (including sunday). I find this sad for the normal reasons, as well as the fact that people who just started watching on the fourth repeat set will apparently be left high-and-dry as far as seeing the rest of the season goes

I really wished Adult Swim could have scheduled Big O's replacement to coinside with the end of the season.
Sadness.

I will miss Big O, but he deserves a break from heavy rotation. I look forward to seeing him on his next tour
[**]...in the same sense that a broken clock is correct twice a day. Of course, even that is not entirely correct, depending on exactly how your clock is broken - it could run too fast, which would make it right multiple times a day - it it could run slow which could make it correct less that twice a day. Also, that does not take into account the effect of daylight savings time....(at the request of all Paradigm City residents, Krang picks up a printed copy of Uncle Tomato's Season 3 and smacks Bentar over the head with it, silencing him... for awhile...)
| BabyGhia |
04-15-2004 02:15 AM |
Stripes is going to be the last episode of this run!
Oh no!
Why must that episode continue to haunt us!!!
Bentar - I choose option B too. I'd like to think it was an in-joke.
and the whole thing about the clock.. you make a good point there. Therefore, I probably wasn't on the list of residents who wanted you to get hit over the head with ACT's season 3. I was really going for the scripts for the season 1 and 2 in addition to ACT's season 3. Thought it might sting better that way.... hehehe!
BabyGhia
| AndroidZeroX |
04-15-2004 06:04 PM |
When does it stop? tomorrow... i betrter catch this last one
| Bentar |
04-15-2004 06:16 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by BabyGhia
Stripes is going to be the last episode of this run!
Oh no!
Why must that episode continue to haunt us!!!
BabyGhia |
And its only now that the surly irony of Adult Swim ending Big O's run with
Stripes dawns on me...
And awwweee, BabyGhia, I didn't know you cared! [blushes] I bet its not just every guy at Paradigm City you want smacked on the head with probably 15+ pounds of paper...
Oooohhh. . . so that's why they're ending the run with 'Strips'.
Bakas
| BabyGhia |
04-15-2004 08:44 PM |
Last night for Big O!
*sobs*
No more excuses to stay up beyond my bed time anymore! Oh wait... Cowboy Bebop is still on! Yippie! Now I just have to imagine Roger when Spike talks... or was it the other way around. Oh well. Both work!!
Dork, yes, it's part of AS's evil plan to piss us off. How could they!!!
BabyGhia
Bentar, it only ended up being 15 pounds of paper??? *Throws Dorothy at Bentar* That help? It didn't, did it? Only made it better not worse.. opps!
| Tony Waynewrong |
04-15-2004 08:47 PM |
Ladies and Gentleman. I would like to take this time to express my sorrow for the abrupt halt of Big O. A moment of silence is in order...
** Bows his head for 10 seconds **
Thank you, on with the insanity.
Odd... I can watch the DVD's and caps of the unreleased eps any time I like, and I still feel sad...
Ah well. In regards to the joke about not being a bounty hunter, I am sure it was intentional. There are a lot of little things like that in the show, things I am still picking up on even after having watched some of the episodes ten or more times.
| Wingnut |
04-15-2004 10:12 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Bentar
| quote: |
Originally posted by BabyGhia
Stripes is going to be the last episode of this run!
Oh no!
Why must that episode continue to haunt us!!!
BabyGhia |
And its only now that the surly irony of Adult Swim ending Big O's run with Stripes dawns on me... |
In the words of a certain groundskeeper: "Great googaly moogaly."
I wonder how much the AS people realise this as well.
| Ketchup |
04-15-2004 10:13 PM |
I kind of have the same feelings as Zola. I have all the dvd's and everything, but it's still a little sad to think of the last day of Big O. :\
Although, I did like some of the captions that they used before and after commercials! And beacuse of the "ending" of Big O on AS, it kind of makes my hoping for a season 3 go a little lower. I know, I know, just because Big O is ending on AS does not mean that there is no season 3. It just makes me a little sad. ;_; -shrugs- Oh well! ^_^ As long as I have Beck, I will be pleased!
| quote: |
Originally posted by Zola
Odd... I can watch the DVD's and caps of the unreleased eps any time I like, and I still feel sad...
|
I know; I have the DVDs and the unreleased eppies too but it doesn't soften the blow very much.
<trying to insert a dose of optimisim>
It's a very slim chance but 'Big O' going off rotation could be a prelude to a season three. Ratings wise it would be in Adult Swim's best interest to take Big O away for a couple (read: 6 /+) months before airing S3 to help maximize interest. Get us all good and desperate for Big O on TV, bring it back for one run (perhaps just a run of S2) and then air S3.
::gets hit in the head by boot::
ow, okay, okay. I'll shut up. . .
muchlove
-dork
| A Clockwork Tomato |
04-15-2004 11:17 PM |
Where's that boot coming from?
Dork, I think it's much simpler than that. Every time they rerun Big O, it's gonna draw fewer viewers than the time before, because more and more viewers don't want to see it again. If Adult Swim has another show that will draw more viewers, then it'll bring in more money, and it's time to swap out Big O.
Of course, they don't have an infinite number of episodes for this new show, so after they show it a few times, its viewership falls in its turn. In the meantime, people are less sick of Big O than they used to be, since they haven't seen it in a while.
As far as I can tell, none of this has ANYTHING to do with whether a Season 3 is a good idea. 26 episodes isn't really enough to keep a show on the air continuously -- not when it's shown 4-5 nights a week -- and I don't suppose anyone at Adult Swim thought that it was.
I seem to remember hearing that 50 episodes is about the threshold for something that will do well in syndication. If they make their 26-episode Season 3, they'll have that many, and it will hold up a lot better under continuous reruns. I'll bet that no one in the biz ever expected that Big O would hold up better under continued repeats than it has.
It really is amazing that Big, as short as it is, has stayed in the rotation for, what? A year? It's been a long time.
I'll revise my previously stated minimum time it could take them to bring Big O back: 10 months.
::nods:: Yes, yes.
Er, the closer it gets until 'Sripes' airs the more upset I'm getting. It's so sad. . .
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
It's a very slim chance but 'Big O' going off rotation could be a prelude to a season three. Ratings wise it would be in Adult Swim's best interest to take Big O away for a couple (read: 6 /+) months before airing S3 to help maximize interest. Get us all good and desperate for Big O on TV, bring it back for one run (perhaps just a run of S2) and then air S3.
|
That's actually what I am hoping for as well.
| Big Ben |
04-16-2004 09:07 AM |
You know, it would be really funny if they accidentally aired The Show Must Go On in place of Stripes.
| AndroidZeroX |
04-18-2004 09:19 AM |
Not digress off of the topic everyone is talking about but... I just finished watching the Act were Roger and Angel are trapped underwater. I got the idea that those buildings were there from the event 40 years ago. The leading theory as of now is that the whole thing was just some computer program, and the reset that happens in Act 26. If those buildings were underwater because of the event 40 years ago, why did they not erase just as everything else did in Act 26. I think that the event that happened 40 years ago was a different event that happened in Act 26