Discuss the Current Episode
| Pygmalion |
04-01-2004 12:49 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Big Finale
*just watched the edit*
In the name of Gordon Rosewater, I think my eyes have melted. What I want to know though, is, why did everyone BUT Big O have a mustache? |
Too much steroids?
Pygmalion
lol I just wrote a letter to Adult Swim about it.
I almost asked them if they had jobs then I thought 'hey, maybe that is their job' and then I thought 'maybe I should give TV/Film another chance' . . .
| AndroidZeroX |
04-01-2004 09:14 AM |
Haha... the adult swim guys are lazy. I called them up to ask about the next season of Big O, ad they put me on hold for 20 minutes. I hung up before they picked back up. I think that instead of sending them letters telling them how much we love Big O, I think that we should send thm letters asking if they plan on doing. If they say no, THEN ou tell them how great it would be for another season.
| Wingnut |
04-01-2004 09:23 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Big Finale
*just watched the edit*
In the name of Gordon Rosewater, I think my eyes have melted. What I want to know though, is, why did everyone BUT Big O have a mustache? |
Because they have just enough sence to know that Big O would come along and step on them if they did. Besides would you want to mess with something Cast in the Name of God? I wouldn't.
::sigh:: I guess Adult Swim's showing the april fools eps mushtache free tonight. . .
Oh well, I guess that's the fair thing to do.
-dork
| Pythagoras |
04-02-2004 12:07 AM |
I'm glad, too. Winter Night Phantom is my favorite episode for its character development, plot advancement and stylistic beauty.
| AndroidZeroX |
04-02-2004 07:55 AM |
What was up with that. Anyways... I want to know how I can see this extra footage of the last episode. I heard that they showed an extra 30 seconds that was quite interesting. I would really like to see that, and could someone please tell me how I can watch it.
| Hanyou |
04-02-2004 08:07 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Pythagoras
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
I was thinking earlier in the day about the 'The Missing Cat's strong emotional impact. It's the most powerful episode of the series without question.
That last episode of Cowboy Bebop was like being punched in the stomach. . . and I'm not even that attached to the characters (hell, I've only watched 3 episodes) and it still had that impact.
|
That's probably owing to the fact that tragedy is the highest form of the dramatic art. I've already said that I believe Bebop's ending is better than Act 26, but I'm not sure if I think it's better than the ending of "Negotiations with the Dead," or "Winter Night Phantom." Both of those are extremely excellent examples of tragic drama. As a tragedy, I'd probably rank NWTD higher because you see someone die which is bad enough but you also see Alan's completely inhumane disregard for the death of someone else which provides a very moving juxtaposition, plus the fact that unlike Bebop's ending, this tragedy was not predestined. The musical ending was also very nice as well. I had the same emotional reaction to "Negotiations" that I did to Bebop.
I do like "Phantom" as well, but it has so many other elements in it that it cannot be evaluated as a pure tragedy like "Negotiations" can. |
The problem with "Phantom" is the voice acting. I've never heard it in Japanese, but I assume its better. The woman that dies has a terribly odd way of talking.
I've just gotten into Bebop, but I know pretty much all of the plot already and I know how it ends. I'm quite addicted to that show (okay, more than quite). I have a feeling the ending's going to be pretty emotional to watch, now that I have the whole back story.
I actually didn't mind Roger's speech in act 26, but then it's hard to write any speech without someone saying it sounds cheesy.
DOA SOBF, they'll probably show the ending the next time they run the last ep. Just watch it then.
| quote: |
Originally posted by DOA SOBF
What was up with that. Anyways... I want to know how I can see this extra footage of the last episode. I heard that they showed an extra 30 seconds that was quite interesting. I would really like to see that, and could someone please tell me how I can watch it. |
Which last episode? Bebop's or Big O's?
----------------------------------
I actually liked Sybil's english voice actress. There was this really cool thing she did with her voice esspecially with the death scene that I really liked. Gave the scene a nice flippancy. I don't know. I can't really explain it. But I loved her voice.
I guess I'm glad that they re-showed the anime episodes last night too. They didn't re-air the comedy shows but they have no artistic significance so who cares?
I do remember looking on adult swim's programming schedule that they didn't have anything listed for April 1st.
It's nice that they gave us the opportunity to get the anime eps mushtache free, which I would be even more thankful for if I'd been recording any of them.
muchlove
-dork
| Hanyou |
04-02-2004 11:00 AM |
At the very end of Big O, there was a scene that did not air the first time I saw the last episode.
I don't know exactly what Sybil says, but the line that really bugged me was: "Are you cry ing?" The transformation in the voice was immediate and obvious. Almost cliche. Had the voice acting been different I would have thought different.
| AndroidZeroX |
04-02-2004 11:53 AM |
I neer got to see it, how do i see it? I watched the last episode twice , but it just ended with Big Venus Merging with Big O. Please Explain.
| BigPrime |
04-02-2004 12:09 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by DOA SOBF
I neer got to see it, how do i see it? I watched the last episode twice , but it just ended with Big Venus Merging with Big O. Please Explain. |
Then you saw it two of the times (I believe there were 3 in total) that The Show Must Go On was aired with the ending cut off. There've only been 3 other times that it's been shown right: the first time and on the last two reruns. It was cut for time reasons (Act 26 being longer than the average episode, with scenes continuing into the credits).
So here's what goes on in Act 16's final seconds: Big O and Big Venus merge, there is a brief black screen and then we get a scene of Roger Smith driving the Griffon giving his usual speech about performing a much-needed service in the City of Amnesia. This scene is almost shot for shot identical to the opening scene of Act 1, but with several differences, most notably that he is not on his way to negotiate for Dorothy's release, as Dorothy and Angel are on a nearby sidewalk and watch Roger drive by. It concludes with "We Have Come to Terms".
Try to search on Kazaa for The Big O. Someone might have the last few seconds, (or the entire episode).
-dork
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
Try to search on Kazaa for The Big O. Someone might have the last few seconds, (or the entire episode).
|
Or he could AIM me and I could send him that bit
| Pythagoras |
04-02-2004 02:24 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by phreekdragon
The problem with "Phantom" is the voice acting. I've never heard it in Japanese, but I assume its better. The woman that dies has a terribly odd way of talking.
|
That didn't bother me, although her French pronunciation was different in the movie than when she said it in real life. When I heard the first thing, I had no idea what she was saying (and I'm a near-native French speaker) because it was so mispronounced. At the end, she pronounced things properly and I was able to understand it.
I also noticed something while rewatching Leviathan earlier today. Schwartzwald mispronounces his name! He says it Schvarts-wald. Wasn't that his first time back in the show in the second season? I guess he forgot how to pronounce things. Makes me wonder if that was the real reason that we don't hear any German from the American voice actor compared to the Japanese va.
| Big Duo Fan |
04-02-2004 05:04 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Pythagoras
| quote: |
Originally posted by phreekdragon
The problem with "Phantom" is the voice acting. I've never heard it in Japanese, but I assume its better. The woman that dies has a terribly odd way of talking.
|
I also noticed something while rewatching Leviathan earlier today. Schwartzwald mispronounces his name! He says it Schvarts-wald. Wasn't that his first time back in the show in the second season? I guess he forgot how to pronounce things. Makes me wonder if that was the real reason that we don't hear any German from the American voice actor compared to the Japanese va. |
I'd gladly take the english voice over two extra lines in german.
And Es Ist Showzeit sounds more like Es Gibt Showzeit when I switched my DVD languages, though that might have just been a flub.
| quote: |
Originally posted by Bentar
How about this part of the dialog?: [Alan] .... There's just one thing I have to make perfectly clear to you. I have to teach you that your unwarranted self-confidence, your arrogence in believing you can control machines, is just an illusion - by sending you to hell! Big Duo, Showtime! |
Well... if you think about it, Alan
does seem to express a certain affinity with machines (which I think is a little bizarre and contradictory, given that machines are generally viewed as sterile and unfeeling, whereas Alan is motivated predominantly by his own wants and desires-- he exhibits a touch of hedonism that no one else in Big O seems to possess, if you ask me). I mean, he's introduced mechanical components into his body, pretty much hooked Big Duo's OS directly up to his nervous system and really,
really liked it ("I haven't felt this good since I stopped being a total human!"... I won't
even go into the HRL spin on that

), and seems to have a strange fascination with Dorothy (I do believe that he was, to some little extent, hitting on her in his own perverse way. You cannot change my mind! :B)...
So it almost sounded to me like he was kinda... simultaneously belittling Roger and sympathizing with Big O. Like, "you think you're so 1337... but me and my machine buddies are ONTO YOU!"
Well, maybe...
I don't even know if I'm being serious anymore. -_-
| Pygmalion |
04-02-2004 09:10 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Xel
...[Alan] seems to have a strange fascination with Dorothy (I do believe that he was, to some little extent, hitting on her in his own perverse way. You cannot change my mind! :B)...
|
I'm sure he was hitting on Dorothy, in the good old de Sade way. That's why he wanted to break her from the periphery toward the center.
Pygmalion
Why, adult swim? Why do you make new non-cheap looking Big O bumpers when you're taking the show off your lineup come wednesday?!
Those cards are seriously freaking me out. Why won't they just announce season three already?!!!
::bursts into tears::
--------------------------------
By the by, the idea of Alan hitting on Dorothy in 'The Third Big' is very twisted. I like it. I shall accept it and make it my own!
cheers
-dork
| Penny Century |
04-05-2004 12:29 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
Why, adult swim? Why do you make new non-cheap looking Big O bumpers when you're taking the show off your lineup come wednesday?!
Those cards are seriously freaking me out. Why won't they just announce season three already?!!! |
Actually, I've had a feeling for a while now that when TBO returns to the lineup, it will be accompanied by an announcement concerning its future. The new, non-cheap-looking bumpers are making that feeling stronger all the time....