Discuss the Current Episode
| dr_malaki |
03-29-2004 10:50 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by YoruameBaroness
OMG it's the last episode of Cowboy Bebop? I never got to see it, so I'm glad you posted that.
Also, as an item of side note, Janet Jackson is on David Letterman tonight . . .
More on topic, I liked "Missing Cat". It's a good episode. |
Happy to be of service.
You may want to keep a hanky handy, though. I can't tell you any more than that.
Pay very close attention to the song that plays over the closing credits of the last Bebop episode. It's really something. I mean it should actually have been released as a single and played on the radio. It's certainly better than most of what I hear on the radio.
Doc
| Texan Otaku |
03-29-2004 11:01 PM |
I loved the last episode. but then "The Real Folk Blues" was excellent in both one and two. That was an excellent twist. I was almost expecting some sort of happy ending but teh way it ended, although heartbreakingly sad, was very appropriate. Bebop was the one of the best animes I ever saw.
| dr_malaki |
03-30-2004 01:26 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Texan Otaku
I loved the last episode. but then "The Real Folk Blues" was excellent in both one and two. That was an excellent twist. I was almost expecting some sort of happy ending but teh way it ended, although heartbreakingly sad, was very appropriate. Bebop was the one of the best animes I ever saw. |
Yes, I agree about the ending. I too found it very sad, yet somehow *fitting and proper*, as though it was always meant to be. (For sure it had been foreshadowed or presaged often enough.)
I liked Spike a lot too, and I hated to lose him.
But he sure done good, and he went out going forward, and that counts for a lot.
Immediate first class Valkyrie ride straight to Valhalla for him, says I!
I kind of wish my thread/post hadn't been *moved* here, y'know? I'm afraid some whom it might concern might not see it here, y'know?
Doc
That was a seriously beautiful episode. Kicked 'The Missing Cat's ass for sure.
And I love 'The Missing Cat'.
One question to those who watched Big O when it played on Toonami: Did they actually air this episode on Toonami? It's like the most violent episode of the series. It's also the most powerful episode of the series but, you know, they do kill about three people rather colorfully.
-dork
| dr_malaki |
03-30-2004 02:08 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
That was a seriously beautiful episode. Kicked 'The Missing Cat's ass for sure.
And I love 'The Missing Cat'.
One question to those who watched Big O when it played on Toonami: Did they actually air this episode on Toonami? It's like the most violent episode of the series. It's also the most powerful episode of the series but, you know, they do kill about three people rather colorfully.
-dork |
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I don't think of Big O and Cowboy Bebop as competitors at all.
I have come to love both, but I discovered Big O a little earlier, and I really have a bigger, deeper emotional investment in it. I learned to love Bebop later, and for different reasons. Even though a lot of the same creative/artistic talent was involved in both, I see them as basically apples versus oranges. If I had to pick, I'd say Big O was the more deep and literally profound of the two.
Doc
| Pythagoras |
03-30-2004 02:33 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by dr_malaki
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
That was a seriously beautiful episode. Kicked 'The Missing Cat's ass for sure.
And I love 'The Missing Cat'.
One question to those who watched Big O when it played on Toonami: Did they actually air this episode on Toonami? It's like the most violent episode of the series. It's also the most powerful episode of the series but, you know, they do kill about three people rather colorfully.
-dork |
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I don't think of Big O and Cowboy Bebop as competitors at all.
I have come to love both, but I discovered Big O a little earlier, and I really have a bigger, deeper emotional investment in it. I learned to love Bebop later, and for different reasons. Even though a lot of the same creative/artistic talent was involved in both, I see them as basically apples versus oranges. If I had to pick, I'd say Big O was the more deep and literally profound of the two.
Doc |
I think Big O is more profound overall but Bebop's ending is better written. Roger's speech at the end is not translated very well. Also, I think that Bebop has better music. Big O has better characters, imo.
But they are very different from each other. Bebop is a tragedy. Big O is question. It's not quite appropriate to compare the two (although I just did it ;-)
| AndroidZeroX |
03-30-2004 07:42 AM |
I dont understand how everyone is able to watch these acts that arent even available to buy. Is there a website that you guys can download Acts. I would really like to see the last few acts, but dont wan to wait til the come out on DVD.
| Tickle Tickle |
03-30-2004 07:58 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
That was a seriously beautiful episode. Kicked 'The Missing Cat's ass for sure.
And I love 'The Missing Cat'.
One question to those who watched Big O when it played on Toonami: Did they actually air this episode on Toonami? It's like the most violent episode of the series. It's also the most powerful episode of the series but, you know, they do kill about three people rather colorfully.
-dork |
It did play on Toonami. It was edited lot though. Robert getting shot was cut, however Louise didn't die at all. (Sucks for Robert. He dies and Louise lives) Eugene's creator talk was tone down. And Eugene's death was cut short.
| dominusofdeath |
03-30-2004 08:23 AM |
Can you say squished!
That was awesome he was squeezed to death!
Tentacle!
| Wingnut |
03-30-2004 08:58 AM |
It's called recording the show as it airs. Not exactly a new idea.
| Wingnut |
03-30-2004 09:00 AM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by R. Umino
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
That was a seriously beautiful episode. Kicked 'The Missing Cat's ass for sure.
And I love 'The Missing Cat'.
One question to those who watched Big O when it played on Toonami: Did they actually air this episode on Toonami? It's like the most violent episode of the series. It's also the most powerful episode of the series but, you know, they do kill about three people rather colorfully.
-dork |
It did play on Toonami. It was edited lot though. Robert getting shot was cut, however Louise didn't die at all. (Sucks for Robert. He dies and Louise lives) Eugene's creator talk was tone down. And Eugene's death was cut short. |
It was shown in full on Toonami, however there was no blood and Eugine was not shown being crushed, but it was still made so that he was. We heard him die but didn't see it happen. The scene where Norman and Roger place the couples hands together was left in so it was clear that Eugine killed them both.
I was thinking earlier in the day about the 'The Missing Cat's strong emotional impact. It's the most powerful episode of the series without question.
That last episode of Cowboy Bebop was like being punched in the stomach. . . and I'm not even that attached to the characters (hell, I've only watched 3 episodes) and it still had that impact.
I'm not bashing 'The Big O' so don't make a big deal of it.
-dork
| Pythagoras |
03-30-2004 02:40 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
I was thinking earlier in the day about the 'The Missing Cat's strong emotional impact. It's the most powerful episode of the series without question.
That last episode of Cowboy Bebop was like being punched in the stomach. . . and I'm not even that attached to the characters (hell, I've only watched 3 episodes) and it still had that impact.
|
That's probably owing to the fact that tragedy is the highest form of the dramatic art. I've already said that I believe Bebop's ending is better than Act 26, but I'm not sure if I think it's better than the ending of "Negotiations with the Dead," or "Winter Night Phantom." Both of those are extremely excellent examples of tragic drama. As a tragedy, I'd probably rank NWTD higher because you see someone die which is bad enough but you also see Alan's completely inhumane disregard for the death of someone else which provides a very moving juxtaposition, plus the fact that unlike Bebop's ending, this tragedy was not predestined. The musical ending was also very nice as well. I had the same emotional reaction to "Negotiations" that I did to Bebop.
I do like "Phantom" as well, but it has so many other elements in it that it cannot be evaluated as a pure tragedy like "Negotiations" can.
| Tickle Tickle |
03-30-2004 03:14 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Wingnut
It was shown in full on Toonami, however there was no blood and Eugine was not shown being crushed, but it was still made so that he was. We heard him die but didn't see it happen. The scene where Norman and Roger place the couples hands together was left in so it was clear that Eugine killed them both. |
Kyle Pope's list over at AnimeNewsNetwork said the scene of Norman and Roger laying out their bodies was cut. And there is no evidence that Louise died in the edited version. The blood and bullet holes were removed. And we don't even hear Louise getting shot, while with Robert the idea was kept that he was killed.
| dr_malaki |
03-30-2004 10:03 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by Pythagoras
| quote: |
Originally posted by dr_malaki
| quote: |
Originally posted by Dork
That was a seriously beautiful episode. Kicked 'The Missing Cat's ass for sure.
And I love 'The Missing Cat'.
One question to those who watched Big O when it played on Toonami: Did they actually air this episode on Toonami? It's like the most violent episode of the series. It's also the most powerful episode of the series but, you know, they do kill about three people rather colorfully.
-dork |
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I don't think of Big O and Cowboy Bebop as competitors at all.
I have come to love both, but I discovered Big O a little earlier, and I really have a bigger, deeper emotional investment in it. I learned to love Bebop later, and for different reasons. Even though a lot of the same creative/artistic talent was involved in both, I see them as basically apples versus oranges. If I had to pick, I'd say Big O was the more deep and literally profound of the two.
Doc |
I think Big O is more profound overall but Bebop's ending is better written. Roger's speech at the end is not translated very well. Also, I think that Bebop has better music. Big O has better characters, imo.
But they are very different from each other. Bebop is a tragedy. Big O is question. It's not quite appropriate to compare the two (although I just did it ;-) |
Well, I didn't *mind* the ending of Bebop as much. It was sad but somehow fitting.
The first time I saw the conclusion of Big O's Act 26, *with the final, somewhat hopeful 30 seconds chopped off*, I was actually *upset* by it. I mean I felt what I can only describe as a kind of speechless horror, a sense that all had been in vain, that all the courage and heroism and suffering and grief had been for nothing after all. It actually got me down for a while.
I did feel a little better after I got to see the original ending though, and I want to thank all those, especially Zola, who made that possible. And thanks to Cartoon Network for listening and eventually putting the original ending back on in later broadcasts. Although very ambiguous, it offers at least *some* hope of a new beginning. I thought a little of that line from the Book of Revelation: "Behold, I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5.)
Doc
| Schoolie |
03-31-2004 06:38 PM |
ABOUT THE EDITED "MISSING CAT" ON TOONAMI:
Yes, they cut Eugene's death scene short, but you still got the idea - Pero grabbed him and then you hear him scream, but they don't show the "squish" part.
As far as I remember, the earlier scene had more cuttings. You see the gun-fire but not any shots of the parents getting shot. In fact, they showed the woman say "Pero" (or something like that) and then she fainted, without the viewer really knowing why. They didn't show her get shot right before that (riddled with bullets, more like it).
It was a pretty violent scene that people probably wouldn't want their kids to see. At the same time, the cuts made the scene a little confusing. It was hard to tell what happened. You never saw the parents again, so you had to presume they were killed.
| Tickle Tickle |
03-31-2004 08:59 PM |
I'm still puzzled WHY they cut his death short. Its not like it was graphic or anything...
| Wingnut |
03-31-2004 09:47 PM |
| quote: |
Originally posted by R. Umino
I'm still puzzled WHY they cut his death short. Its not like it was graphic or anything... |
Then tell me why this episode got the TV-14 rateing when most of the other episodes (if not all of them) are only rated TV-PG with sub-letters when approperate.
| quote: |
Originally posted by R. Umino
I'm still puzzled WHY they cut his death short. Its not like it was graphic or anything... |
It was highly suggestive. I whince every time I hear it. It's just so. . . ug ::shudders:: trust me, in it's own way, it's graphic.
-------------------------
EDIT: Oh my. . . april 1st. . . unless those guys over at adult swim lost interest by the end of InuYasha it looks like Ms. Rowan is going to be sporting a mashtache tonight. . .
-dork
| The Big Finale |
04-01-2004 12:31 AM |
*just watched the edit*
In the name of Gordon Rosewater, I think my eyes have melted. What I want to know though, is, why did everyone BUT Big O have a mustache?