Discuss the Current Episode

Dork 03-17-2004 02:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by madrona

2) Beck comes in looking at Dorothy and says,"Damnit all". About what? He's not feeling bad for her, is he?


I was wondering why he was so resistant back in 'Twisted Memories'. And after he'd taken her memory curcuits he seemed very itchy standing next to Rosewater going on about his plans for Paradigm. There is something abuot this latest crime that just rubed Mr. Beck the wrong way.

Now there is the reason he gave Alan. That he's an artist and he won't do the same thing twice. But this is mere talk. He tried to rob the same bank twice in one afternoon. He used or tried to use the android mind control device on Dorothy not once, not twice, but three times. And why do all his plans have to involve newly built contracted giant robots?

No, this guy's not an artist, not even in the most demented form of the word, he's eccentric, I'll give him that but not an artist. So why is he so worried over Dorothy?

If you look at his history he never technically puts Dorothy in much danger. Okay, so he did hook her up to Dorothy 1 and put her right in the way of Big O's fist but you could argue that he knew Roger wouldn't let anything happen to her.

Which doesn't make any sense at all. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the original Beck knew the original R. Dorothy Wayneright. Maybe an off screen shock to the head dislodged a memory of her.

It really doesn't make any sense at all. Hopefully tonight will provide clarification.

Please don't anyone tell me what's going to happen tonight.



anywho
muchlove
-dork
Wingnut 03-17-2004 03:24 PM
Well not clarifaction, but a cryptic explanation though is given if you look and/or listen close enough.
My advice, tape the episode as it airs so you can watch it again afterwards, and review it as many times as needed to understand it all.
Dork 03-17-2004 03:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Well not clarifaction, but a cryptic explanation though is given if you look and/or listen close enough.
My advice, tape the episode as it airs so you can watch it again afterwards, and review it as many times as needed to understand it all.


Me and my trusty RCA DVD recorder stand at the ready!


Big Grin
Madrona 03-17-2004 05:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Well not clarifaction, but a cryptic explanation though is given if you look and/or listen close enough.
My advice, tape the episode as it airs so you can watch it again afterwards, and review it as many times as needed to understand it all.


Me and my trusty RCA DVD recorder stand at the ready!


Big Grin

and me and my Tivo with it's 15 second replay actionWink

madrona
Pythagoras 03-17-2004 05:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by madrona
Two questions from me about this episode:

1) We hear Schwartzwald go on about the giants who formed this world livng in chains. "But the chains are the cunning of weak and tame minds which have power to resist energy." Huh? I went to college, how come I can't get this? Is he talking about people like Roger, people who no matter how they were brought into the world are going to live it their way?

2) Beck comes in looking at Dorothy and says,"Damnit all". About what? He's not feeling bad for her, is he? Or does he realize he just helped bring about the reset? Naa, he knew that already talking to Alex.


#1 That raised a question in my mind as well. It seems to me now that that was an allusion to megadei having a much greater role in shaping the world of Paradigm than people had previously thought.

spoiler (highlight to read):
Such as, for instance, the role of Venus in the reset and Big Fau's attempts to take control of Alex


#2 You'll see in the next episode!
Madrona 03-17-2004 05:20 PM
Well I have an idea about Beck, and memories and maybe whose he has, or who he was before(besides the bank guy) but I will keep it to myself for now. Not having seen 26 I'm not going to read your spoiler. I guess I'll have to come back tonight, Huh?

Actually, going back to The Big Fight...
Why did Big Duo stop? Because it recognized Roger/Big O as a complete pair(sort of). It didn't like Alan telling him what to do. Oh, becuase Alan just wanted to kill Roger and was wielding the power of God for no good reason? I suppose that was obviousEmbarrassed Sweatdrop
Pythagoras 03-17-2004 05:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by madrona
Well I have an idea about Beck, and memories and maybe whose he has, or who he was before(besides the bank guy) but I will keep it to myself for now. Not having seen 26 I'm not going to read your spoiler. I guess I'll have to come back tonight, Huh?

Actually, going back to The Big Fight...
Why did Big Duo stop? Because it recognized Roger/Big O as a complete pair(sort of). It didn't like Alan telling him what to do. Oh, becuase Alan just wanted to kill Roger and was wielding the power of God for no good reason? I suppose that was obviousEmbarrassed Sweatdrop


Those are possible explanations. Another is that Big Duo is in the habit of betraying its pilots. Perhaps it's just a jerk ;-)

It also was likely upset with the modifications that were done to it and shut down right when Alex needed it most.
Madrona 03-17-2004 06:11 PM
Okay I've been thinking again. Shocked

In the Big Fight we hear Schwartzwald's voice say "The memories are right here Negotiator" and then Big Duo's spinning arm of fun starts attacking the collar piece that Roger sits behind.

Later in Ep25 Gordan says that he made a deal with a Roger Smith that had memories so there could be negotiations with the creator. Are these two things tied together? Confused
Bentar 03-17-2004 10:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
Please don't anyone tell me what's going to happen tonight.

Understood. I just wanted to say I greatly enjoyed reading your writeup on The Big Fight earlier. Reading your comments, along with other first-time Big O watchers, has been a real treat (for me at least) - like watching the show with a whole new set of eyes. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
quote:
Originally posted by madrona
Actually, going back to The Big Fight...
Why did Big Duo stop? Because it recognized Roger/Big O as a complete pair(sort of). It didn't like Alan telling him what to do. Oh, becuase Alan just wanted to kill Roger and was wielding the power of God for no good reason? I suppose that was obviousEmbarrassed Sweatdrop

Those are possible explanations. Another is that Big Duo is in the habit of betraying its pilots. Perhaps it's just a jerk ;-)
It also was likely upset with the modifications that were done to it and shut down right when Alex needed it most.

I have always thought that the wires attached to Alan Gabriel basically bypassed Big Duo's sentience/higher brain functions - the wires attached Alan's nervous system directly to Big Duo arms/legs/weapons - - Big Duo's sentience per se was lying dormant in some sleep state. When Alan was about to deliver the death blow, Big Duo (with Schwarzwald's help?) 'woke up' and intervened - Big Duo's system then took full control and 'removed' Alan as if he was some forign infection - encapsulating Alan in wires and purging him like so much puss. Smile

Interesting note - it is the second time Big Duo has operated headless.

quote:
Originally posted by madrona
Okay I've been thinking again. Shocked

In the Big Fight we hear Schwartzwald's voice say "The memories are right here Negotiator" and then Big Duo's spinning arm of fun starts attacking the collar piece that Roger sits behind.

Later in Ep25 Gordan says that he made a deal with a Roger Smith that had memories so there could be negotiations with the creator. Are these two things tied together? Confused

Probably so. Although Schwartzwald's line might have also meant Big O's 'brain' - which I think might also be in the general area of the cockpit. But I think your origional guess about Roger being what Schwartzie ment is more likely. Pleased

How about this part of the dialog?: [Alan] .... There's just one thing I have to make perfectly clear to you. I have to teach you that your unwarranted self-confidence, your arrogence in believing you can control machines, is just an illusion - by sending you to hell! Big Duo, Showtime!

My question is, does this mean being a 'Dominus' is more than the ability to simply pilot a Big? Does it mean the ability to communicate with any megadei? Or machine for that matter? Is that how Roger and Big O were able to shut down the run-amuck Big Fau in The Third Big?
Dork 03-18-2004 12:26 AM
We have come to terms my ass!

What was with the duplicate (real?) Roger, Dorothy and Angel? Oh, god we need a 3rd season.

Must. . . write. . . letters. . .

Ug!

Okay, I'm going to re-watch this ep a time or three and see you guys tomorrow.

Ah, one more thing. Roger and Dorothy certainly seemed to have come to terms. Big Grin He wasn't even surprised to see her. Guess he figured she'd snap out of it on her own eventually.


muchlove
-a very frustrated and happy dork
Bentar 03-18-2004 12:34 AM
Agreed, Dork. A third season is required. Pleased

Observation: AS showed the full ending, along with the normal speed credits this time. 2 points, Adult Swim! Big Grin

Question: Just noticed this time around, but Big Fau seemed to be immediately shut down on the appearance of Big Venus. I wonder if Angel/Big Venus did the same shutdown trick to Big Fau that Roger/Big O did in The Third Big?
Pythagoras 03-18-2004 12:44 AM
I also noticed that Roger's hair didn't get messed up despite the fact that he had just been underwater Cool
BigPrime 03-18-2004 12:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
I also noticed that Roger's hair didn't get messed up despite the fact that he had just been underwater Cool


Roger uses Tomato Dominus-brand hair gel. Guarenteed never to mess up in battle no matter the circumstances! Big Grin
Randolph 03-18-2004 01:03 AM
Yipee! I just saw Act 26, and the scene with Angel and Dorothy at the end, and normal speed credits! Woohoo! Yay! I don't hate AS anymore!

*ahem*
Frivolous self-celebration aside...

Roger uses actual tomato juice in his hair. The stuff is practically clear and it leaves that healthy glossy sheen Big Grin
Gear 03-18-2004 01:27 AM
Does anybody else notice that the Dorothy/Angel ending of 26 is brighter, has a lot less steam, and that the sky is cloudy instead of overcast like all of season 1? If Paradigm really did reset that is.

You know, I was almost convinced that they'd show act 21 again, and leave 26 for tomorrow night.

Which leaves the question, what are they going to show tomorrow?
Pythagoras 03-18-2004 01:37 AM
Act 1
Wingnut 03-18-2004 09:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
I also noticed that Roger's hair didn't get messed up despite the fact that he had just been underwater Cool


Roger uses Tomato Dominus-brand hair gel. Guarenteed never to mess up in battle no matter the circumstances! Big Grin

That falls under the same production law as does the fact that Indiana Jones never loses his hat no matter what unless loseing it is tied into the story somehow.
I would assume Gear that they would show Act 1 tonight. Also they ran Act 20 by mistake that first time not Act 21.
Madrona 03-18-2004 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
We have come to terms my ass!
What was with the duplicate (real?) Roger, Dorothy and Angel? Oh, god we need a 3rd season.

LOL!!
I couldn't agree with you more.
In a way, I was happy, and then I went to bed going "Well, what the heck just happened?" I too am going to have to watch it again Wink

Did anyone else notice that Norman said the same thing that Gordon said?"Memories are something found in the human form". Isn't it odd?
C.R Foxhound 03-18-2004 11:13 AM
wow, season 1 again

i must say, as much as i love season 2, i prefer the color scheme of season 1, the dark, sorta drab coloring really captures the look of a city that is guess in a sense, oppressed.

I also like the feel, its laid back, relaxed

oh hell, i like 'em both. but i always enjoy watching the first season, especially hearing "Brick Ballads"

How come they dont have the sax version in season 2, that would have been icing on the cake
BabyGhia 03-18-2004 12:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
We have come to terms my ass!

What was with the duplicate (real?) Roger, Dorothy and Angel? Oh, god we need a 3rd season.

Must. . . write. . . letters. . .

Ug!

Okay, I'm going to re-watch this ep a time or three and see you guys tomorrow.

Ah, one more thing. Roger and Dorothy certainly seemed to have come to terms. Big Grin He wasn't even surprised to see her. Guess he figured she'd snap out of it on her own eventually.


muchlove
-a very frustrated and happy dork


Welcome to the club! This made me laugh because I totally know how you feel. Glad you guys saw the "real" ending. A couple of times they hacked it off too quickly and people weren't understanding why we wanted a season three so much.

BabyGhia