Discuss the Current Episode

Zopwx2 01-25-2004 11:18 PM
Actually I think the desert and the ocean are on different sides of paradigm.

I think they just recycled the clip of dastun's forces waiting at the edge.
Big Duo Fan 01-28-2004 05:46 PM
Anyone else notice the good ol' Robot Rampage Mode R. Freddy went into? With the red eyes.

Unfortunately, the last place I saw that was Kikaider, a show I 'don't hold in very high regard'.
Piano Black 01-28-2004 11:58 PM
Who was that talking to Roger? I noticed that someone was talking to him while he was fighting Bonaparte.
MetalGoldKnight 01-29-2004 12:38 AM
Yeah, that annoys me every time I see the episode. Right before Roger knocks down Bonaparte, you hear an unknown voice say "You can't keep playing God forever," or something like that, then Roger gives his line about "Roger's Law." It sounds vaguely like Alex's voice, but Alex saying it doesn't make sense in any way.

Another weird bit of dialouge- when you see Alex alone, he says to himself, "Like you, Big Fau is missing it's core memory." Who the hell could he have been talking to? It's right after he calls for Alan, so some people think that's who he was referring to, but why would Alan have ever had a core memory? It's also possible he was referring to Big O, except that he wasn't watching Big O on his screen at the time, and Big O, unlike Fau, does have it's own core memory anyway.
YZEtc 02-02-2004 07:20 AM
Hmmm.
I've been slacking.
Catch-up time.
Briefly:

The Greatest Villain:
Someone decided it was time for more comedy, this time with a nuclear Afro and Dorothy single-handedly rescuing Roger.
That's OK, though what really did it for me was the way Dorothy rode her bicycle:
Some time went into making her movements seem realistic, and I just gotta' like those pedals digging into the pavement.

I didn't care for the Transformer-esque business at the end.


Eyewitness:
How do you catch an android on a ramgage?
Easy.
You send in an android to flush him out.
Fast Freddie: Another android with nerves of steel - literally.
Or, would they be copper, gold, and silicon?

Stripes:
Who doesn't think of the Oops!-we-didn't-air-the-correct-episode fiasco when #20 Stripes comes to mind?

Vera's in danger of being picked-up by the cops for walking the streets impersonating a Founding Father.

If you're going to be turned down by the man of your dreams, what better place to do it than at the rusting hulk-infested beach by moonlight?
And if you ever wanted to hear your secret call-to-battle hymn in order to get your ass out of an uncomfortable situation, this is it.

The Third Big:
That's it - Alex went way over the line with his whiney whimpering.
It's a shame that this sinister guy in white suit that commanded respect in the first season was made into the goofy, spoiled brat he is, today.
Boo.

Roger gets a pat on the back from me by showing some genuine feelings toward Dorothy.
There!
Now, that wasn't so hard, now...was it?
A great scene.
Wingnut 02-02-2004 09:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MetalGoldKnight
Yeah, that annoys me every time I see the episode. Right before Roger knocks down Bonaparte, you hear an unknown voice say "You can't keep playing God forever," or something like that, then Roger gives his line about "Roger's Law." It sounds vaguely like Alex's voice, but Alex saying it doesn't make sense in any way.

Another weird bit of dialouge- when you see Alex alone, he says to himself, "Like you, Big Fau is missing it's core memory." Who the hell could he have been talking to? It's right after he calls for Alan, so some people think that's who he was referring to, but why would Alan have ever had a core memory? It's also possible he was referring to Big O, except that he wasn't watching Big O on his screen at the time, and Big O, unlike Fau, does have it's own core memory anyway.
I personally believe that the voice belonged to Boniparte itself. It is the only logical explanation as to who Roger could be speaking with. How the thing talked and where its personallity came from is quite a mystery.
But like the saying goes, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth.".
BigPrime 02-02-2004 10:07 AM
I think the Union planted a voicebox with Alex's voice inside Bonaparte. Just to be mean. Big Grin
BigO-SHOWTIME 02-02-2004 08:51 PM
I think alex talked to Roger through fau somehow. towards the end, Roger was somehow able to talk to Alex saying "i wont forgive you etc etc".
A Clockwork Tomato 02-02-2004 10:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
I personally believe that the voice belonged to Boniparte itself. It is the only logical explanation as to who Roger could be speaking with. How the thing talked and where its personallity came from is quite a mystery.
But like the saying goes, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth.".


I don't know where the voice came from. I'm not sure whether Bonaparte was self-piloting or remote controlled, and I'm not sure about the Union's other robots.

Given the shortage of functioning core memories, and the fact that Alex had the three original Megadeuses in his possession for a long time, it's hard to believe that he overlooked a functioning core memory.

On the other hand, the whole Bonaparte sequence was sort of bogus. I mean, the robots had been shot to hell by Roger, then all their useful parts had been cannibalized, so how did they manage to reassemble into a new robot whose parts all fitted perfectly, and who in addition had the use of an anomalous levitation technology?

(Speaking with my writer's hat on, some parts of Season 2 were pretty lax. The Bonaparte self-assembly sequence was poorly conceived and out of keeping with the rest of the show -- almost as glaring as the "Big O bursts through the skyscraper, killing hundreds and ending up in a place where he's completely useless and has to go right back down again" in ENEMY IS ANOTHER BIG.)
Bentar 02-03-2004 12:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
...On the other hand, the whole Bonaparte sequence was sort of bogus. I mean, the robots had been shot to hell by Roger, then all their useful parts had been cannibalized, so how did they manage to reassemble into a new robot whose parts all fitted perfectly, and who in addition had the use of an anomalous levitation technology?

(Speaking with my writer's hat on, some parts of Season 2 were pretty lax. The Bonaparte self-assembly sequence was poorly conceived and out of keeping with the rest of the show -- almost as glaring as the "Big O bursts through the skyscraper, killing hundreds and ending up in a place where he's completely useless and has to go right back down again" in ENEMY IS ANOTHER BIG.)

I agree - the 'levitation' tech seemed exceptionally badly used - the Union, bottem-feeding tech 'scavengers' that they are, were the only ones with that highly advanced tech? Not to mention how silly the body parts looked floating around. That was one of those 'so dumb it takes you out of the story' scenes. On a side note, I know its highly unlikely, but I've always preferred to think of most of the buildings in Paradigm City as being unoccupied - for example, the aforementioned building in Enemy is Another Big could have been completely deserted, with the exception of the suite Schwarzwald was using (along with a couple of staff). Lame excuse, I know. Tongue
BigPrime 02-03-2004 08:12 AM
I'd doubt the building in Act 12 was deserted. It was in Paradigm Main Dome itself. It might've been empty save for Schwarzwald's party and staff, but I don't imagine that Paradigm Corp. would let buildings inside the Dome stay empty for long. Outside the domes is a different story all together.
Big Duo Fan 02-03-2004 11:26 AM
Maybe Bonaparte's core memory was split across both heads, and thus useless to remove. Also, the parts for those franken-transports for Fau had to come from somewhere.. and if they had been built from scratch they likely would have all been the same.
BigPrime 02-03-2004 03:17 PM
The one thing I've always wondered about Hydra: how the heck did Paradigm Corp. get those ships up to the Electric City lake?
MetalGoldKnight 02-03-2004 04:01 PM
The dam implies that the lake was connected to a river.
Expo 04 02-03-2004 05:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
The one thing I've always wondered about Hydra: how the heck did Paradigm Corp. get those ships up to the Electric City lake?


The Hudson is deep enough for cargo ships to sail through.
A Clockwork Tomato 02-03-2004 05:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
The one thing I've always wondered about Hydra: how the heck did Paradigm Corp. get those ships up to the Electric City lake?


Those boats didn't look very big to me, and the highway going to Paradigm City was quite wide. I don't think they'd have any trouble trucking those boats up to the dam.
BigPrime 02-03-2004 06:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
The one thing I've always wondered about Hydra: how the heck did Paradigm Corp. get those ships up to the Electric City lake?


Those boats didn't look very big to me, and the highway going to Paradigm City was quite wide. I don't think they'd have any trouble trucking those boats up to the dam.


Okay, that works for me. Cool
YZEtc 02-03-2004 10:32 PM
Wow.
#22, already.
Is it my imagination, or does the series seem to go by more quickly with each repeat?
Whatever the case actually is, Hydra makes me ask a few questions, and gives me a bit of a treat at the end.


I wonder exactly why Roger agreed to meet Alex for din-dins.
All that seemed to go on between them was Alex playing with his model Big Fau while trying to psych-out Roger the whole time.
I'll bet Roger won't accept another invitation to Gordon's A Fistfull of Dollars villa.

Although Dorothy doesn't show emotion every day of the week, I'd be willing to bet that as Angel stood there dripping water all over the carpet, Dorothy may have been at least imagining what it would feel like to scratch Angel's eyes out.
Of course, she wouldn't do that, so what does she do?
Why, the only sensible thing to do when faced with a blonde minx:
Offer to start a fire so that you won't have to look at her the whole time, and say as little as possible.
Damn, Dorothy, you think of everything.

Where on Earth did that memory of Major Smith stomping on those Big O Secret Weapon controls come from?
If it's not genuine, it is a pretty convenient and well-done fake since what it showed Roger saved his and Big O's ass in that fight.

Vera's still out running around, trying to get every mecha and artificial life form she sees to cooperate in burning Paradigm to the ground for her?

Ahh, yes.
That bouquet of flowers.
I wonder how deep Roger had to dig to belly-up to the florist's counter and pull that one off.
I really think he had it planned to do that one day when he felt the time was right, and it just so happened to be right when he left Alex's luncheon.
And did you see?
I'm not the only one who was impressed by his sudden burst of affection and appreciation for a friend:
The nice lady running the joint gave him a discount for his effort. Wink
He's still the same ol' guy, though, as he starts stuttering and hemming and hawing when Norman cracks a joke about just who the flowers could be for.
Chicken.

But.
He makes-up for it when Dorothy catches him off guard by showing-up in her Ninja suit, and his plan of how he would present those flowers (that he'd probably turned over in his head a dozen times) was suddenly thrown out the window.
He had to wing it, but he kept his composure and pulled one of the slickest moves I've ever seen from Paradigm's Top Negotiator.

Thumbs up, Roger.
Jane 02-04-2004 06:59 PM
Last night was the first time I saw Hydra all the way through and now I'm majorly mixed up. Why does Roger have those flashbacks during battle? It doesn't seem to fit in with what happened during Act:26, unless it's just another false memory that Roger has to discard before he can confront Angel?

Mad They'd better give me a season three or I'll go nuts trying to figure this jigsaw puzzle out.
YZEtc 02-04-2004 07:04 PM
I hear ya', Jane; good luck on figuring it all out without more information, huh?

I sometime wonder if the writers intentionally made things so obscure as some kind of cruel joke where they're thumbing their noses at me.