Ghostbusters! (Updated 5/14/06, 2:23 PM EST)

pen1300 07-16-2004 11:43 AM
" >.< HA! You can't see me! *POOF* OH Dear... <.< "

*Gasp!* I didn't know this was going on!

I ghost for privacy reasons. Someone I don't like talking to, IMed me again and I was harassed a few times on IM. Something happened on IM that sparked my ghosting here...though I don't have to worry about being harassed here...only on IM...

So I do Ghosting (here) for privacy reasons...IM to avoid people Sweatdrop ...

Later,
Pen1300
Asirt 07-16-2004 11:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
I ghost for privacy reasons. Someone I don't like talking to, IMed me again and I was harassed a few times on IM. Something happened on IM that sparked my ghosting here...though I don't have to worry about being harassed here...only on IM...

Later,
Pen1300

The purpose of the list was not to expose people who ghost into PCF so that people can be harassed. This is only a historical reference for all to view. I understand your reasons for being a ghost. I ghost as well for privacy reasons. This list is here because people wonder who is online, and may want to send PM or chat with people, but if you're a ghost, they won't know you're online.
Seraphim 07-16-2004 12:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
How were you able to verify all those? I don't recognize most of those usernames.

Simple. There is a place called Members List, where you can see every single member who ever joined PCF. All I did was click on every user name, and look for the words "Last Active". If it says "No Declaration", it means that the user is a ghost. By the way, most of the users mentioned on the list most likely don't post here, or are no longer in PCF. This is only a reference for all to view.

Hope that clarifies a few things,
Trisa

Let me just ask one more question to clarify this up a little more.

You clicked on EVERY profile of every user? All 1,410 of them?
Asirt 07-16-2004 12:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Let me just ask one more question to clarify this up a little more.

You clicked on EVERY profile of every user? All 1,410 of them?

Yes (It's sure time consuming, though). I'm going to try to figure out a way to speed up the process, as there are now 64 pages of members.
Zopwx2 07-16-2004 05:43 PM
I don't know why some of you would want to be in ghost mode.

I'm always showing, and barely anyone ever pm's me.
Asirt 07-16-2004 05:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2

Perhaps it's for our privacy that we become ghosts. I mean, right now, I'm editing my first post for the Eye Game, but no one knows that because I'm a ghost. Or, I could be reading a post, and replying without anyone bothering me. Basically, most people become ghost for privacy reasons.
Zopwx2 07-16-2004 05:55 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2

Ghosts. They are always such a mystery. Perhaps it's for our privacy that we become ghosts. I mean, right now, I'm editing my first post for the Eye Game, but no one knows that because I'm a ghost. Or, I could be reading a post, and replying without anyone bothering me. Basically, most people become ghost for privacy reasons.

Later,
Trisa

I wonder why they are so private..... do they have somthing to hide?

Is the body under the floorboards?
Asirt 07-16-2004 06:02 PM
You seem to have a point, Zopwx2. I can see why you think being a ghost is sometimes not a good thing. There are a few reasons people do this.

1) Privacy Reasons - See older posts for more on this.

2) Some are scared that other members may pick on them or something like that. (Some posts said this, about being scared of the MFL Forum)

3) Some people think it's fun to be one, so that they can sneak on people all the time.

4) They prefer not to be bothered while browsing the forums.

5) "Hey, everyone's doing it. Why not you?!"

Those are most likely the reasons why people become ghosts (including the two others FP mentioned). It's not always true that people have something to hide.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-16-2004 06:23 PM
There are two other reasons Trisa didn't mention...I have ghosted in the past for one of those reasons.

The first is that moderating can be a little easier, though does fall in line with the "not wanting to be harassed" reason. When I had a lot of cleaning up to do in the MFL I ghosted.

The second is when I took a week long break from the forums (as I was vacationing)...I didn't want it to be common knowledge that I wasn't active during that time, so I ghosted; this prevented anyone from looking at my profile to see the last time I was on.
Volt 07-18-2004 02:15 PM
Hey, FP, your percents are wrong in the first post. It should be 9%, not 0.09%, right? Big Grin
The Fallen Phoenix 07-18-2004 02:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
Hey, FP, your percents are wrong in the first post. It should be 9%, not 0.09%, right? Big Grin

Yes, it should be. I must not have been thinking when I did the math...the mistake has been corrected.
Seraphim 07-18-2004 02:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
The second is when I took a week long break from the forums (as I was vacationing)...I didn't want it to be common knowledge that I wasn't active during that time, so I ghosted; this prevented anyone from looking at my profile to see the last time I was on.

That is... exceptionally sly. I ghost because I like it better not having everyone know what I'm doing. Other than that, not much of a reason. And I don't like my yellow name showing up in the Online Users list.
Asirt 08-31-2004 06:15 PM
I didn't know that you used to ghost, Phoenix. I can see why you did, however. It does make work a lot easier. I remember ghosting for privacy, but now that school has started for me, there is no need to ghost anymore. Anyway, for those who haven't checked in a while, the list is now updated.
The Fallen Phoenix 08-31-2004 06:45 PM
quote:
Old thread...

Anyway, I didn't know that you used to ghost, Phoenix. Smile I can see why you did, however. It does make work a lot easier. I remember ghosting for privacy, but now that school has started for me, there is no need to ghost anymore. Smile Anyway, for those who haven't checked in a while, the list is now updated.

Later,
Trisa

PS. The Fallen Phoenix, you missed someone who is not a ghost anymore, ME! Big Grin Smile )

So I did! Well, that's been fixed...I still have to redo the percentages; those aren't accurate as some ghosts have been removed from the list.

Yeah, I don't ghost very often...only when it's really necessary. I find that not ghosting can have some advantages that are lost when ghosting...
Volt 09-04-2004 02:44 AM
Bwahahaha... it seems I have not been found out yet! Oh, crap. I suck at keeping secrets.
I prefer to ghost so I don't confuse people when I say I'm on vacation then magically pop up. But mainly I started ghosting because I got a ton of completely stupid and useless PMs from a member whose name shall not be mentioned (no hints either). Well, goodbye. *vanishes*
Avenir 01-09-2005 05:56 PM
An old but interesting thread this is.

I don't take advantage of the Ghost Mode (or "anonymous member" status, as some message board programs allude); there isn't really a need for it. Although, I did consider it once when I received a rather disturbing message from someone because they saw me browsing a thread of theirs. And frankly, I don't think highly of people who ghost. Privacy matters I can understand; but doing it for the fun of it shows lack of trust in my opinion.

EDIT: I think I'll try it out for awhile.
BabyGhia 01-09-2005 06:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
An old but interesting thread this is.

I don't take advantage of the Ghost Mode (or "anonymous member" status, as some message board programs refer it as); there isn't really a need for it. Although, I did consider it once when I received a rather disturbing message from someone because they saw me browsing a thread of theirs. And frankly, I don't think highly of people who ghost. Privacy matters I can understand; but doing it for the fun of it shows lack of trust in my opinion.

EDIT: I think I'll try it out for awhile.

I don't ghost very often. Usually I'll do it if I want to look at something and not have people know about it. But other than that, I really don't care who knows what I'm doing on here.

However, there was one time about 3 months ago that I did use it for several days. Long story.

Have fun ghosting, Avenir!

BabyGhia
COHugh 01-09-2005 09:05 PM
I keep forgetting to turn it off. Oh Well
StevieV019 01-09-2005 10:01 PM
Confused

This will probably open me up to the charades people go through when they dont ghost, but I figure Ill mention this anyway.

I dont see the point behind ghosting. None whatsoever. The only real reason would be to be "mysterious" or not let people know when you're on the forums. As far as reasoning behind not getting bothered by PM's and such...well, I believe you can open up the your "personal message mailbox" and then read the messages members have sent you. As such, you have the CHOICE as to when or if you will be bothered. The burden my come from deleting the unwanted PM's without reading them, and I guess that takes time...but still. If you dont want to be PM'd, block the PM's from the user, or just dont open your mailbox.

As far as checking to see whether someone is viewing a forum thread or not...well, the person who started the thread will know the minute they update their browser and see a new post has been made. At that point, the ghosting member will be known to be online as their post will show up new in the thread.

So...as far as I can tell, ghosting is kinda pointless. Other than to come off as mysterious. I mean, I dont come to the forums and post only when certain people are online. Nor do I wait for certain members to show up at the forums. I post when I want to and when I feel it is warranted, without worry of the consequence.

On a side note, I did ghost at one point, for about a week, just to see what would happen to the members online list, and lo and behold, my name didnt show up...so I guess it works...but I dont see a point.
Krang 01-09-2005 11:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
As far as reasoning behind not getting bothered by PM's and such...well, I believe you can open up the your "personal message mailbox" and then read the messages members have sent you. As such, you have the CHOICE as to when or if you will be bothered.

Not when you're an administrator. In that case, the following happens (this isn't an actual example, but it is typical of what happens when an admin doesn't ghost):
  1. Someone PMs the admin with a problem.
  2. The person follows up a few minutes later with "I see you online! Why don't you answer my question?!
  3. The person then continues: "Why aren't you responding!!!"
  4. Etc...
And as an administrator, blocking people isn't really an option unless they harass me. This, combined with repeated requests that I got at The Technodrome to go on instant messengers when I really didn't have time or feel like it, made me decide to ghost here and at The Technodrome. It doesn't matter to me if people see what threads I'm browsing, but it makes it easier on me if people don't know whether or not I'm online in cases where I only have time to stop by and read a few threads.