Big O Repeats: Week 4, Episodes 13-16 Discussion

BigO-SHOWTIME 12-04-2003 11:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
Another thing that just popped into my mind: it was said that all of the original Paradigm board members were dead, along with their doubles (save one pair and Fitzgerald). Yet, in Winter Night Phantom Roger stopped the last assassination attempt. So I guess that means they still managed to get the guy they were gunning for at the end. Wonder how they did it?


That might be a plot hole in season 2 since they are focusing on Alex vs Roger.
BigPrime 12-04-2003 12:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigO-SHOWTIME
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
Another thing that just popped into my mind: it was said that all of the original Paradigm board members were dead, along with their doubles (save one pair and Fitzgerald). Yet, in Winter Night Phantom Roger stopped the last assassination attempt. So I guess that means they still managed to get the guy they were gunning for at the end. Wonder how they did it?


That might be a plot hole in season 2 since they are focusing on Alex vs Roger.


Could be. Still, I'd imagine that they didn't want to leave the job unfinished and just had him quietly knocked off one night while he slept or something. Or a convienent "car accident" on the way back to his dome or something like that.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-04-2003 07:24 PM
It's DAY OF THE ADVENT tonight. I remember it as having a big part for Dorothy, but when I looked at the online script, it seemed like she had hardly any lines.

It's amazing what the writers can do in a medium like TV without resorting to speech. I'm envious.
YZEtc 12-04-2003 07:38 PM
Yeah, but does she look
HOT?

Wait!, what am I saying?
Of course she will.

Bring on #16.
I'm feeling it.
*loads tape into VCR with glazed eyes*
Wingnut 12-04-2003 09:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
Another thing that just popped into my mind: it was said that all of the original Paradigm board members were dead, along with their doubles (save one pair and Fitzgerald). Yet, in Winter Night Phantom Roger stopped the last assassination attempt. So I guess that means they still managed to get the guy they were gunning for at the end. Wonder how they did it?
Alen Gaberal likely took him out at some point.
Reguarding the bullets: Dastun's shots bounced off of the roof, not Alen. Yes, they must have been hollow point rounds, as AP or even standard FMJ rounds could've kept going and hit Roger as well as the andorid.

And YZEtc, there is also Angel fanservice in that we see her jumping and diveing around in her pink jumpsuit while evadeing security devices in Alex's place.
Schattenjager 12-04-2003 11:58 PM
I distinctly heard Dastun say Roger's name while looking at Big O.....did I miss something where Roger revealed the fact that he piloted Big O to Dastun, or what?
BigO-SHOWTIME 12-05-2003 12:01 AM
Even though its not popular I liked this episode.

The episode is another typical big O episode with negotiation. The dialogue and animation was outstanding.

This episode had some of the best angles of Big O and inside the cockpit with roger, and Stand a Chance rules.

quote:
Originally posted by Schattenjager
I distinctly heard Dastun say Roger's name while looking at Big O.....did I miss something where Roger revealed the fact that he piloted Big O to Dastun, or what?


This has already been addressed. Did you watch act 14? Datsun did ask in the intro "was Big O waiting for you?"

I hypothesize that he knew since act 12 or 13. When Dasun suspected him for RD's killings with "cast in the name of god..." written in them.
Mr. Peabody 12-05-2003 12:07 AM
There were two occasions when Roger stepped out of Big O: To speak with Schwartzwald and after defeating the foreign megadeuses. Since Dastun had his binoculars on these occasions he would have seen Roger and chose not to report it to his superiors.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-05-2003 12:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigO-SHOWTIME
Even though its not popular I liked this episode.


Me, too. Was Angel hot, or what? Too bad about the "combat" sequence. And Alex is certainly at his best (maybe the phrase is "at his most interesting") in this sequence. And Dorothy's performance was very interesting. She's progressed to the point of snapping at Roger at the breakfast table. (When, oh when, will she stop sitting way at the far end?)

quote:
Originally posted by Schattenjager
I distinctly heard Dastun say Roger's name while looking at Big O.....did I miss something where Roger revealed the fact that he piloted Big O to Dastun, or what?

This has already been addressed. Did you watch act 14? Datsun did ask in the intro "was Big O waiting for you?"


Isn't that part of a dream sequence? If so, it may be either recollection or fantasy; hard to say.

Interesting that orbital calculations and such got palmed off as "memories of the future." I get the impression that the folks in Paradigm call all sorts of things "memories" that we would call by other names, such as algorithms, predictions, calculations...
JMA 12-05-2003 12:58 AM
I believe that R-D actually took place awhile after episode 11. This would allow for some people to learn of Roger's alter-ego. I'm guessing they did it to save time (and episodes). I believe Alex and Angel discovered it on their own, but I think Roger revealed it to Dastun.
BigO-SHOWTIME 12-05-2003 02:41 AM
by the way I believe either that girl was suffering from albinism (albino) or some respiratory disease. I am not sure if it has to do with the air (remember the air outside the domes is bad) or the "light" outside during the day.
"Yeah, but..." 12-05-2003 02:53 AM
I really like this episode too, and Tammy is really freaky. "If I go out in the sun, I could die. TEE HEE!" Who is Tammy's VA, BTW? I know I've heard her before doing a pretty important character, and it's driving me nuts.
Big Money 12-05-2003 07:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigO-SHOWTIME
by the way I believe either that girl was suffering from albinism (albino) or some respiratory disease. I am not sure if it has to do with the air (remember the air outside the domes is bad) or the "light" outside during the day.


She could have Lupis...
YZEtc 12-05-2003 07:27 AM
Hmm.
Aren't we now in the period of Advent?

Hoooooooold it.
What the hell happened to my theme music?
This one had a catchy guitar riff, but I want the other one back in place.

Dorothy's showing a flash of emotion, again.
She even banged on the breakfast table with her hands.
Perhaps she should have given the table a quick shove into his gut.
That would get the louse's attention (maybe).

Well, Angel may not carry a gun every waking minute of the day, herself...but she sure won't leave the house without her PINK, skin-tight action suit, now, will she?
Cooooooool.
Go, Sneaky Kitty.

Those three foreign Megadeuses look kinda' plain and bulbous - like cargo carriers.

The higher-ups of Paradigm's technology can't produce a satellite, but they can track one with some pretty flashy equipment.

I feel that nobody living outside the Domes is on Alex's Christmas list.
The gauntlet is officially thrown down.
From here on out, it is Roger vs. Alex.

Does Dorothy always know when Big O is activated?

Even taking Anime Physics into account, stopping a falling satellite is one impressive feat.
Maybe the Chromebuster slowed it quite a bit.

So, I guess the same religious memory fragments blowing around in the Paradigm wind that have the townspeople singing hymns inside of the old, bombed-out churches also have some equating a decayed satellite reentering Earth's atmosphere to some kind of Advent.
And I'm going to need some help in figuring-out exactly what it was that Jim McGowen wanted Roger to negotiate.

That wasn't bad.
Roger has some nifty gadgets to play with.
And just when is Angel going to be able to get her arms around Roger without it being a life-or-death situation?
What's a curvacious blonde have to do to get a Negotiator's attention?

Who needs tomatoes, anyway?

My "As I See Them" ranking:
1) Roger the Negotiator
2) Daemonseed
3) Underground Terror
4) R-D
5) Beck Comes Back
6) Enemy Is Another Big!
7) Negotiation with the Dead
8.) Day of the Advent
9) Missing Cat
10) Dorothy, Dorothy
11) Electric City
12) Roger the Wanderer
13) A Call From the Past
14) A Legacy of Amadeus
15) Winter Night Phantom
16) Bring Back my Ghost

Withdrawals, again.
Pygmalion 12-05-2003 07:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by YZEtc
And I'm going to need some help in figuring-out exactly what it was that Jim McGowen wanted Roger to negotiate.

He wanted to make sure that the people outside the domes were not going to miss out on whatever good tidings the "angel" brought from on high. He appears to be a sort of lay preacher later in the episode.

This episode once again shows the difference between the goals of the Paradigm Corporation (and its meglomaniacal CEO) and Roger Smith, the true champion of the people of Paradigm City.

Pygmalion
BigO-SHOWTIME 12-05-2003 08:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by YZEtc
Hmm.
Aren't we now in the period of Advent?

Hoooooooold, it.
What the hell happened to my theme music?
This one had a catchy guitar riff, but I want the other one back in place.

Dorothy's showing a flash of emotion, again.
She even banged on the breakfast table with her hands.
Perhaps she should have given the table a quick shove into his gut.
That would get the louse's attention (maybe).

Well, Angel may not carry a gun every waking minute of the day, herself...but she sure won't leave the house without her PINK, skin-tight action suit, now, will she?
Cooooooool.
Go, Sneaky Kitty.

Those three foreign Megadeuses look kinda' plain and bulbous - like cargo carriers.

The higher-ups of Paradigm's technology can't produce a satellite, but they can track one with some pretty flashy equipment.

I feel that nobody living outside the Domes is on Alex's Christmas list.
The gauntlet is officially thrown down.
From here on out, it is Roger vs. Alex.

Does Dorothy always know when Big O is activated?

Even taking Anime Physics into account, stopping a falling satellite is one impressive feat.
Maybe the Chromebuster slowed it quite a bit.

So, I guess the same religious memory fragments blowing around in the Paradigm wind that have the townspeople singing hymns inside of the old, bombed-out churches also have some equating a decayed satellite reentering Earth's atmosphere to some kind of Advent.
And I'm going to need some help in figuring-out exactly what it was that Jim McGowen wanted Roger to negotiate.

That wasn't bad.
Roger has some nifty gadgets to play with.
And just when is Angel going to be able to get her arms around Roger without it being a life-or-death situation?
What's a curvacious blonde have to do to get a Negotiator's attention?

Who needs tomatoes, anyway?

My "As I See Them" ranking:
1) Roger the Negotiator
2) Daemonseed
3) Underground Terror
4) R-D
5) Beck Comes Back
6) Enemy Is Another Big!
7) Negotiation with the Dead
8.) Day of the Advent
9) Missing Cat
10) Dorothy, Dorothy
11) Electric City
12) Roger the Wanderer
13) A Call From the Past
14) A Legacy of Amadeus
15) Winter Night Phantom
16) Bring Back my Ghost

Withdrawals, again.


Adult swim experimented with all the openings. I guess they are using the same openings they used the last season 2 air. eventually they are going back to the season 1 opening both visual and music.

By the way that guitar rift is the theme for season 2 and is the actual opeining in the japanese season 2. Its called Respect and you will hear it more during the next episodes.Especially act 23 as rogers house gets invaded.
Zola 12-05-2003 09:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigO-SHOWTIME
Adult swim experimented with all the openings. I guess they are using the same openings they used the last season 2 air. eventually they are going back to the season 1 opening both visual and music.

By the way that guitar rift is the theme for season 2 and is the actual opeining in the japanese season 2. Its called Respect and you will hear it more during the next episodes.Especially act 23 as rogers house gets invaded.


I love that tune! It was fun to see it--I had almost forgotten they used it for an opening during the season.

This episode is always going to be one of my favorites because it was big on character development. It showed me exactly what kind of man Roger Smith is, from his "mmmm-hmmm's" at the breakfast table to punching the asteroid. Smile
Mr. Peabody 12-05-2003 09:26 AM
In the episode Day of Advent, does anyone else think that Alex Rosewater had more control over those satellites than he admitted?

I think the first satellite crash was a test to see if Alex could guide one to a precise target. The last one was the actual killer.

Why would Alex do all this? He knew that Roger was the Big O's pilot and he wanted to see what lengths Roger would go to defend the impoverished citizens of Paradigm City.
C.R Foxhound 12-05-2003 09:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by "Yeah, but..."
I really like this episode too, and Tammy is really freaky. "If I go out in the sun, I could die. TEE HEE!" Who is Tammy's VA, BTW? I know I've heard her before doing a pretty important character, and it's driving me nuts.


Tammy is voiced by Sherry Lyyn(sp?) the VA for Sasami from Tenchi Muyo

God, Sasami is so cute, i wish i had her as a little sister

and about the statellities...

it seems the whole thing was wrong, the orbital things a whatnot, because wasnt the sattelite the stagelights? Alex himself was surprised by seeing that humungo appuratus in ep.26,so i think the whole sattelitie thing was just a bad assumption

i dunno

Hey, dont you guys think Sasami is cute. Cutie baby,cutie baby, cutie baby Smile
Narsham 12-05-2003 12:11 PM
This was the first Big O episode I ever saw. It makes much more sense now. Wink

One or two VERY interesting moments in this episode:

Roger needs R. Dorothy's help to turn the door handles in the Wayneright house--the protected section, anyway.

We see one shot establishing this.

We then see Roger and Dorothy approaching another door which looks identical and which leads into the lab area.

A short while later, we see Angel approaching the same door--and it is shut.

So how is Angel strong enough to open the door when Roger wasn't?

Why will she happily shoot the android attacking Roger, but won't shoot Alan Gabriel?

How are we to take her comment that she is "as human" as Roger himself?

That moment, coupled with these subtle and suggestive hints leading up to that statement, should make us wonder about a lot of things.

Question--does Angel kill anyone human over the course of the series? The end of Episode 26 doesn't count, BTW.

If R. Dorothy is an android/megadeus which acts like a machine but is really human, perhaps Angel is just the opposite?

If Roger isn't entirely human, what does that make Angel?

Narsham