[Other] Panoramic Pics!

Mega Dominus 01-09-2004 04:54 AM
Amazingly enough, the creepy panoramic pic above of Eugene's home decor (Nice, ACT!) has a unique "monsterpiece" for each of the lava lamp replacements.

Show us how much hard work the animators did to portray a unique and variant position on how sick and creative Eugene has got to be to come up with different types of genetically-mucked creatures for the show. Evil
Tifaria 01-10-2004 04:31 PM
I got my DVD set yesterday-- you know what that means! Tifaria has more stuff to waste her free time with! Tongue If you haven't already guessed, "Missing Cat" is my favorite episode, so I had piece together a Dorothy/Pero pic. Smile ) This is the part right after Roger finds his desk in a mess and he chides Dorothy for taking in a cat who obviously has an owner.

Tony Waynewrong 01-10-2004 04:33 PM
Tifaria, that is so cute. I like it. Good work. Smile
Wingnut 01-10-2004 04:40 PM
Too bad Dorothy doesn't have more of a content smile on her face, if she did that shot would be perfect.
A Clockwork Tomato 01-10-2004 05:21 PM
Gorgeous.
Pygmalion 01-10-2004 07:29 PM
Nice work, Tifaria. "Missing Cat" is on my top five list, too!

Pygmalion
Mega Dominus 01-11-2004 12:59 AM
Sweet. That pic says it all for "Missing Cat". Red Face
Bentar 01-11-2004 01:05 AM
Really great pic of Dorothy and Pero, Tifaria! Pleased
Tifaria 01-12-2004 11:54 AM
Here's Dorothy posing for Roger's painting in "Beck Comes Back":

A Clockwork Tomato 01-12-2004 12:11 PM
Cute!

I wonder why Roger chose that stupid pose.

Note that Dorothy is so tiny that, even sitting on the edge of the chair, her toes barely touch the ground.
Pygmalion 01-12-2004 12:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
Note that Dorothy is so tiny that, even sitting on the edge of the chair, her toes barely touch the ground.

I'm sure you mean "Note that the chair is so oversized..."

Pygmalion
Wingnut 01-12-2004 01:31 PM
Looking at the panorama shot (Very nice BTW) and then looking at Roger's painting I have just one thing to say.
Don't quit your day job, Roger Smith.

And yeah the chair is rather high off the ground.
Tony Waynewrong 01-12-2004 01:42 PM
Tifaria, that is cute.
R.Dorothy Waynewright 01-12-2004 06:58 PM
I really have to say all of these are just amazing....but I honestly I have no idea how you are doing what you're doing. I see the results compared to the original screen caps...and I dunno its probably a very simple process I'm just silly and don't understand. Hehe. But nevertheless, I love the panoramics...Tifaria, I really have to say your Dorothy pics are the best. I adore them!
A Clockwork Tomato 01-12-2004 07:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Dorothy Waynewright
I really have to say all of these are just amazing....but I honestly I have no idea how you are doing what you're doing. I see the results compared to the original screen caps...and I dunno its probably a very simple process I'm just silly and don't understand. Hehe. But nevertheless, I love the panoramics...Tifaria, I really have to say your Dorothy pics are the best. I adore them!

I want to hear Tifaria's clean little secrets, too, because I think her pictures are coming out cleaner than mine. (I'm using off-the-air recordings rather than the DVDs, which may be part of my problem.)

What *I* do is to adjust the lighting levels so there is both some black and some white in the frame, since my capture card seems to compress the tones somewhat. I usually resize the image to 200% right at the start, too.

Then I make the image look more like a cel by using the eyedropper tool to pick up a color (say, Dorothy's skin tone) and fill the areas using that tone with the fill tool. By making the colors solid, rather than kinda-sorta the same, they look a lot more vivid.

(In my paint program -- Corel PhotoPaint, there's a control on the fill tool that tells it how far to spread the color. If it's set to, say, 1, it only spreads to pixels that are practically the same color as the one under the pointer. If it's set to 10, it will spread to somewhat dissimilar colors. If it's set to 99, it'll fill the whole picture!)

This method tends to damage the outlines. I don't have a steady enough hand to clean them up easily. When I do it anyway, I set a pen to the appropriate width, pick up the outline color with the eyedropper tool -- but usually also set the pen to have a transparency of 50%. That gives some tolerance for slight errors.

Stitching together frames to make a panoramic is easy. You crop off any part near the top or bottom that looks iffy, and adjust the lighting, if necessary, so the frames match. Then overlay them until they fit. It may help to set the piece you're moving to be partly transparent as an aid to alignment.

Sometimes a panoramic doesn't quite work because something in the frame was moving. Then you have to get creative and alter something.

When I'm all done, I save the image and THEN reduce it back to its original resolution as a Corel Paint file, then save it at its original resolution as a JPEG.

I'm sure there are lots of tricks I haven't learned yet.
Tifaria 01-12-2004 10:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
I want to hear Tifaria's clean little secrets, too, because I think her pictures are coming out cleaner than mine. (I'm using off-the-air recordings rather than the DVDs, which may be part of my problem.)

All I'm using is Photoshop-- and not even a recent version or anything. It's actually Photoshop Elements, and it came with my graphics tablet. It doesn't have all of Photoshop's tools, but it does save my pictures with a minimal loss of color to them, which is great for these screencaps.

I'm getting mine off the DVDs, so that could be why they look "cleaner". Plus, my computer plays them with the picture taking up a good portion of the screen, so when I'm piecing them together, they're actually about four times this big! So when I shrink them down, it helps clean up the outlines and such-- after all, you won't see the flaws as much at a smaller size. Smile ) Other than that, though, I don't even mess with the colors after I've pieced them together-- I do have to zoom in quite a bit to make sure everything lines up, though, because sometimes when I'm piecing them together, unless I zoom in, the piece I'm trying to fit in will move too much to either side.
evanASF27 01-13-2004 12:58 AM
i feel bad here cos I don't have anymore pics to post up (they are on the other computer)... :-/

But none the less great job everyone Smile keep em coming! Big Grin
A Clockwork Tomato 01-14-2004 03:32 PM
Okay, here's a panoramic pic of Laura and Oliver's apartment.

Gee, it's too bad that no one's on the bed or the couch!

Maybe somebody ought to do something about that! (Don't look at me -- I have an episode to write.)

Tickle Tickle 01-14-2004 05:50 PM
Guys those are great!!!

ACT, that Eugene one was so cool! ^.^

Does anyone think they can make a pan of that scene with Eugene infront of a cross? @@
    A Clockwork Tomato 01-16-2004 04:08 PM
    From the submarine sequence in CALL FROM THE PAST.