Blue Gender: A Work of art or Just Garbage Anime

Krang 11-26-2003 12:42 AM
Sorry for the off-topic post, but this was the best thread I could find to post it in. R_Dorothied, I took away your first warning, but you now have a second warning for bypassing the word filter on your profile. I suggest that you read the forum rules again before you get any more warnings. If anyone wants to discuss this, please do so through IM, PM, or email and not anywhere on the forums.
MetalGoldKnight 11-26-2003 01:22 AM
I don't love or hate it, in fact I view it as the very definition of mediocre anime.
Bentar 11-27-2003 12:00 AM
I watched it.... it wasn't too bad in my opinion. Some nice character developement - I did like the way that Yugi and Marlene actually switched attitudes at one point. But the ending.... sheeeeeesh.......
spoiler (highlight to read):
I know the japanese seem to have a cultural thing for the whole 'Gaia Spirit of the Earth' concept - I've seen it in other anime - but I really don't like it. In Blue Gender it seemed particularly obnoxious (at least to me).
Sharpshooter005 11-27-2003 12:23 AM
Blue Gender seems like a love/hate thing.

And I havent seen many who loved it...

Rewatching it, I admit I enjoy it (though...the guy who leads that council or whatever looks so much like an anime version of former surgeon general C. Everett Coop its kind of SCARY). The last two or so episodes however, get a bit irritating.

Had it ended around when they
beat tony and took the station back from his little blue contingient
it would have been better.

FAR better than the
frankly irritating/mildly preachy deus ex machina that was this 'gaia' stuff. The blue hitting mass extinction all at once, the gold mind control beams, etc, etc
ending it had, which reminded me of some insane episode of captain planet with giant bugs and a firing squad involved.

All in all, it was...fairly mediocre. It got no real response from me. I hear theres an OVA, which I'd love to see aired if AS ever gets saturday nights for movies. I hear its a retelling of the story, but who knows..maybe they "fixed" it in that.

EDIT:I could have not put that in spoiler tags due to the above post by bentar, guess I wasnt sure whats kosher as far as plot announcements and whats not..oh well. I concur fully with the opinion expressed though.

EDIT #2: True. FLCL is a VERY hard act to follow.
taaudoloran 12-01-2003 01:55 PM
I think the uncut Blue Gender better than the Adult Swim version. Good artwork and okay story. Blue Gender was really one bg sexual inuendo I think... but still pretty entertaining.

FLCL is just crazy. It is best watched while heavily medicated.

taaudoloran
Chibi Dorothy 12-01-2003 09:42 PM
I think I've seen all the episodes but it's all very forgettable.
I never grew found of any of the characters either.
Big Trio 12-02-2003 09:00 PM
I think the ending wasn't really all that great. The series had some nice build up, but... well, did they have to demonize Miyagi like they did?
InsInIfIcant 12-03-2003 02:56 PM
At first I liked Blue Gender, sure Yuji was annoying but I thought the overall story was really cool. Then everyone started to die and or get it on. Which pissed me off because it left the characters I didnt like such as Yuji and Marlene is a well you know. Then I stopped staying up to watch it. My new opinon of Blue Gender is just garbage anime.
Green_Bird 12-03-2003 03:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A. Rosewater
i find the show VERY DEPRESSING......especially that little girl in that terrible town or whatever on earth...good god, it was terrible

its not that bad....ive probably seen worse

I agree....it is very depressing Frown ....I also agree with Eon Shin....

The only time I wached it was when it was on before Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I had to sit through it just to get to the good shows....and I have to tell ya' I didn't find the show interesting at all....Its depressing, I didn't get it at all, it was anoying, and it was boring.

(Note: No Offence to people who like the show)
Elk 12-06-2003 03:32 PM
i think it's ok...i can tell the makers of Neon Genisis made it. i don't really like it...
Sharpshooter005 12-06-2003 06:38 PM
quote:
...i can tell the makers of Neon Genisis made it.

Gainax made it? didnt hear that.
animefan22 12-06-2003 06:53 PM
i think it's okay. It's certainly not the best or most original series out there but it's alright for a sci-fi action show. It's certainly very action-packed and intense, so it's good in that way. and i'm pretty sure gainax had nothing to do with it.
Trotsky 12-06-2003 11:22 PM
the last two epps were look like they were done by a difrent company. and probley done some time latter, hence the higher quality in wrighting and anamation. well if i could spell any way... but the final few epps i thought were great. the first bunch sucked tho...
Krang 12-07-2003 03:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by animefan22
and i'm pretty sure gainax had nothing to do with it.

You're right, it was made by AIC, not Gainax.
Wingnut 12-07-2003 11:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Trotsky
the last two epps were look like they were done by a difrent company. and probley done some time latter.
Well that explains the sudden and odd ending to everything. I wonder how the series would've ended if the same people made the ending themselves? What would've been done differently? And most importantly would more people have survived?
Mr.Grudge 12-12-2003 12:20 AM
I couldn't get into it. I only watched the second episode because the first ended without explaining anything and when nothing seemed to really happen I lost interest. I caught the ending of a few later episodes when waiting for Cowboy Bebop to come on but I didn't feel like I was missing anything.
Nyarlathotep 12-12-2003 12:43 AM
The first episode I saw of the show was boring, but I've caught a few since and they seem really gritty and cool. The blue themselves are freaky beasts and I likes me some freaky anime beasts.
dominusofdeath 02-08-2004 02:22 AM
it was ok then i stopped watching it
it got kinda dull
Stampede 02-08-2004 02:30 AM
It was really "meh." I like my giant robots with a bit more Oomph to them. Where are the railguns? The lightning bolt cannons? The four-hundred shot missile racks?
IamRogerSmith 02-08-2004 03:05 AM
Yes, god forbid a show have a brain. ::rolls eyes::