What Do Androids Run On?

A Clockwork Tomato 11-20-2003 05:48 PM
We know from FUTURAMA that robots run on alcohol.

But what do Big O androids run on? Nuclear reactors? Batteries? Stubbornness?

If batteries, are they rechargeable or disposable?

spoiler (highlight to read):
If they're rechargeable, where does the power cord plug in?
Mr. ? 11-20-2003 06:10 PM
They run on love! "Awwwwww"

Or maybe, like you said, Nuclear reactors. "Roger Im having a bad day. I really feel like Im goning t-" BOOOMMM!!
Wingnut 11-20-2003 06:18 PM
Perhaps it is a self-rechargeing power cell that can continously recharge itself.
But what could feul such a battery, I don't know.
Mr. Peabody 11-20-2003 06:18 PM
In the episode "Eyewitness" it's shown that androids run on oil.

But in Dorothy's case I'd say a little love keeps her running. Anime Smile
Mike 11-20-2003 06:20 PM
I personally picture Dorothy chowing down on massive amounts of D-cell batteries.
Mr. ? 11-20-2003 06:23 PM
So thats how she keeps her butt so firm! Its full of D batteries! "Roger I'm running low." "Sweet" "Louse..."
A Clockwork Tomato 11-20-2003 06:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
I personally picture Dorothy chowing down on massive amounts of D-cell batteries.


Would manic-depressive androids prefer lithium batteries?
Preventer Wind 11-20-2003 09:29 PM
lmao clock, i think she buys oil every once in a while like those other more android type androids.
Jonny Axehandle 11-20-2003 09:34 PM
It could be one of those hydrogen cells that will soon be put in cars.
R Trusedale 11-20-2003 09:56 PM
Dorothy uses oil as a lubricant. No way does she use diesel, which is noisy and produces quite a bit of exhaust. (She'd have to sleep outside the mansion or Norman and Roger would wake up dead.)

Whatever Drothy uses, it clean, non-polluting, and quiet.

Regarding fuel cells, the picture is not so rosy. We got Big Oil in this country, pardner. You'll see a switchover to fuels cells about the time we pry the gasoline pump out of the cold dead hands of the last oil executive. The oil interests (Cheney, Bush, etc) are running the USA, and dictating the policy.
Prince-Consort Tesser 11-20-2003 10:09 PM
Oil is not a likely power source; it would burn too hot, and the power plant would be too large. The oil is most likely a lubricant for the huge number of finely-crafted joints a machine would require to mimic human motion. An oil change is probably a weekly occurance (meaning Dorothy probably goes to the bathroom once a week).

This problem extends to the Megadeus level, too. There is simply not enough room in Big O for the power systems required. A nuclear reactor would be almost as large as Big O itself (unless the designer didn't mind their Dominus having radiation sickness), and still wouldn't have the energy reuired to run the systems.

I have guessed that Dorothy has a bio-converter, allowing her to use energy from food (and allowing her to eat), but even that wouldn't allow her to perform at her observed superhuman levels unless she ate more than a human (even if she got all the energy out of the food, as opposed to a human's 25% or so). The converter would be for appearance and as emergency power.

I would surmise that the power core for an android or Megadeus is something REAL ultra-tech, something we can only theorize about. It isn't a battery, since it never needs replacing or recharging. Since so much of Dorothy's innards would be her solid skeleton and the bio-converter system, she would need something compact. We might label it a zero-point generator or something, but that would be a guess. Why not just call it a "power-core" or "heart"?

A Megadeus would have the same system, probably more compact or decentralized. As well as the fact that Big O has even less internal space than Dorothy, what with missiles and plasma projectors and garages and that Final Stage cannon and the room for the chains. So perhaps it has a hundred or so Dorothy-type power-cores scattered throughout it's body, so such a vital system couldn't be targeted by an enemy.

Actually, that raises another question; WHAT THE HELL IS INSIDE THAT MEGADEUS??

The chains on Big O's harpoons have been shown (in the battle with the three Megadei) to be over two miles long each; a dozen of them all coiled up would fill all of Big O's volume! And where is the ammunition stored for the arm-gatlings? Surely not inside the pistons, since such storage bays would weaken the pistons and make them shatter in use. And the missile bays were shown to cover all of Big O's torso - whence then came the plasma sphere generators, the Final Stage cannon, not to mention the elevator that carries Roger from the foot-garage to the cockpit? And as for that foot garage - how the devil does it not crumple like an accordion when Big O walks??

For that, I can come up with only two theories. 1: Big O accesses multi-dimensional space, rotating the equipment into 'real-space' as it is required. 2: Big O's innards are a seething mass of pre-programmed nano-technology, which shapes itself into what is needed. Of course, booth of those theories have flaws.

I think I've done enough damage here.
Evil
R Trusedale 11-20-2003 10:21 PM
Its all done with Memories. In the Paradigm capital-M Memories allow the possessor to pull objects and energy out of thin air. Or multi-dimensional space if you prefer. Megadeuces use their Memories to violate the laws of convservation of energy, or of conservation of space-time, at will.

For that matter, Big O seems to add mass to his power punches, almost without limit. Big O seems to have a very good Memory of this technique.

Schwartzwald too has some of this Memorry power, to a very limited extent. And he doesn't control it very well, especially when he first digs up this Memory.
Pygmalion 11-20-2003 10:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prince-Consort Tesser
For that, I can come up with only two theories. 1: Big O accesses multi-dimensional space, rotating the equipment into 'real-space' as it is required....

Big O as a TARDIS. It all makes sense now.

Pygmalion
Prince-Consort Tesser 11-20-2003 10:23 PM
Sooo ... are you saying everyone has amnesia because the thousands of Megadei sucked up all the memories to power themselves? And now theere's just enough left to run a handful of them?

Interesting theory ... rife with possibilities ...
R Trusedale 11-20-2003 10:31 PM
Interesting, you are suggesting a Law of Conservation of Memory. I never thought of that...

So the Event, if it was real in any sense, could simply have been the arrival of a very hungry megadeus? Or perhaps a large fleet of them, like we've seen in so many flashbacks? I have to admit, its a pretty diabolical attack....
Pygmalion 11-20-2003 10:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prince-Consort Tesser
I would surmise that the power core for an android or Megadeus is something REAL ultra-tech, something we can only theorize about. It isn't a battery, since it never needs replacing or recharging. Since so much of Dorothy's innards would be her solid skeleton and the bio-converter system, she would need something compact....

Oh! Ooh! Now I know why Giesang's biography read like Nikolai Tesla's. Tesla was transmitting power *without wires* before 1900. The Megadei and androids only need to receive the power all around them. That takes a lot less space than having a powerplant built in.

And that explains the electric eel in Act 3, as well as the hydra in season 2. These are biological capacitors, for handling variations in load & source.

And this hypothesis beats a Time Lord in a rickety police box.

Pygmalion
A Clockwork Tomato 11-20-2003 10:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R Trusedale
Dorothy uses oil as a lubricant. No way does she use diesel, which is noisy and produces quite a bit of exhaust. (She'd have to sleep outside the mansion or Norman and Roger would wake up dead.)

Whatever Drothy uses, it clean, non-polluting, and quiet.

Regarding fuel cells, the picture is not so rosy. We got Big Oil in this country, pardner. You'll see a switchover to fuels cells about the time we pry the gasoline pump out of the cold dead hands of the last oil executive. The oil interests (Cheney, Bush, etc) are running the USA, and dictating the policy.


Are fuel cells now standard on cars in other countries? I must have missed it.

Hype about fuel cells reminds me of what an engineer once told me about gallium arsenide semiconductors: "It's the technology of the future, and it always will be."

But as for Dorothy, the last I heard, battery technology has practical limits under today's technology, but it has little in the way of theoretical limits. The energy density of a battery might in time be almost anything. We just don't know how to make 'em today. At the moment, we don't even know how to make them with the same energy density as gasoline, which is why electric cars are so disappointing.

A friend of mine developed a very convincing future society after making a handful of assumptions about the development of technology, one of which was that the energy density of rechargeable batteries would match that of petroleum fuels. This made possible the most AMAZING vehicles. The alternative would have been to have gasoline engines on everything -- imagine trying to get the Briggs & Stratton motor on your powered battle armor started in the morning. What a pain!
Mr. Peabody 11-20-2003 10:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R Trusedale
Its all done with Memories. In the Paradigm capital-M Memories allow the possessor to pull objects and energy out of thin air. Or multi-dimensional space if you prefer. Megadeuces use their Memories to violate the laws of convservation of energy, or of conservation of space-time, at will.

For that matter, Big O seems to add mass to his power punches, almost without limit. Big O seems to have a very good Memory of this technique.



It's possible. Remember when Roger was losing to the three headed Hydra and Big O suddenly changed forms to defeat it? Maybe with every victory, Memories are freed and Big O absorbs some of them. This would also explain why some Paradigm citizens (like Beck) suddenly regain bits of Memory.
Wingnut 11-20-2003 11:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
quote:
Originally posted by R Trusedale
Its all done with Memories. In the Paradigm capital-M Memories allow the possessor to pull objects and energy out of thin air. Or multi-dimensional space if you prefer. Megadeuces use their Memories to violate the laws of convservation of energy, or of conservation of space-time, at will.

For that matter, Big O seems to add mass to his power punches, almost without limit. Big O seems to have a very good Memory of this technique.



It's possible. Remember when Roger was losing to the three headed Hydra and Big O suddenly changed forms to defeat it? Maybe with every victory, Memories are freed and Big O absorbs some of them. This would also explain why some Paradigm citizens (like Beck) suddenly regain bits of Memory.

By that same token we can conclude that whatever it was, The Event did not erase the memories of everyone, it simply buiried and masked them deep in the minds of the people.
R Trusedale 11-21-2003 10:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by R Trusedale
Dorothy uses oil as a lubricant. No way does she use diesel, which is noisy and produces quite a bit of exhaust. (She'd have to sleep outside the mansion or Norman and Roger would wake up dead.)

Whatever Drothy uses, it clean, non-polluting, and quiet.

Regarding fuel cells, the picture is not so rosy. We got Big Oil in this country, pardner. You'll see a switchover to fuels cells about the time we pry the gasoline pump out of the cold dead hands of the last oil executive. The oil interests (Cheney, Bush, etc) are running the USA, and dictating the policy.


Are fuel cells now standard on cars in other countries? I must have missed it.

Hype about fuel cells reminds me of what an engineer once told me about gallium arsenide semiconductors: "It's the technology of the future, and it always will be."

But as for Dorothy, the last I heard, battery technology has practical limits under today's technology, but it has little in the way of theoretical limits. The energy density of a battery might in time be almost anything. We just don't know how to make 'em today. At the moment, we don't even know how to make them with the same energy density as gasoline, which is why electric cars are so disappointing.

A friend of mine developed a very convincing future society after making a handful of assumptions about the development of technology, one of which was that the energy density of rechargeable batteries would match that of petroleum fuels. This made possible the most AMAZING vehicles. The alternative would have been to have gasoline engines on everything -- imagine trying to get the Briggs & Stratton motor on your powered battle armor started in the morning. What a pain!


Energy density of fuel cells already exceeds that of Lithium batteries. Japan is putting them into a few laptops now. Even this small foray could only occur in a country without large oil resources.

Another even more threatening power system is broadcast power, investigated by the inventor of AC power transmission, Nicola Tesla. The profit motive has a problem with broadcast power, which is difficult to meter, hence we're not likely to ever see that technology. Too bad, because it could be used to make some truly amazing machines.