What Do Androids Run On?

Tony Waynewrong 03-12-2004 11:27 AM
What? Dorothy doesn't run on love? Wink

Maybe she runs on some sort of cold fussion reactor.
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 03-12-2004 11:33 AM
maybe it possible she runs on roger love for her! who can say for sure?
Silv3rKnigh1 03-12-2004 11:59 AM
they eat hobos, mmmmmmmm Tongue
Tony Waynewrong 03-12-2004 12:01 PM
I know! I know!

Androids run on their feet!

** Gets hit with a boot. **

Seriously, I think they have some sort of solar powered/ cold fussion hybrid reactor.
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 03-12-2004 12:01 PM
i got it she runs on roger credit card! she love her shopping trips
Randolph 03-12-2004 01:45 PM
Androids run on old-fashioned electric generators. I don't quite know what kind of fuel they use, but I am quite certain that they use some form of electric generator. From what I have seen the technology of 40 years ago, however advanced, didn't seem to include much in the way of advanced energy sources.
Although during Act 03 we see Old Man shutting down what looks like a nuclear reactor. I could be wrong.

Megadeuses? Also electric. Definitely electric. And about all those weapons, I was about to ask myself where things like motor servos go on Big O, as most of the space seems taken by weapons, especially the hip anchor chains. I won't even touch the chains, that's too tough. I leave that to the experts.
Look closely at the missiles. They seem fairly short, so the launchers can't be much longer. No doubt most of the mechanics for Big O are inside the stomach region, behind the missile racks. If you look at the arms during the Plasma Sphere attack, note that the area beneath has much technology under it, but who says it's all just for that weapon? Those generators that appear in Big O's shoulders may very well be what it uses all of the time. It just exposes them and turns them all the way up, then uses the tech in the arm shields to focus the energy where it's needed (on Leviathan).
And about the foot garage, I think that Big O lifts it's "foot" out the armored case for a moment to let Roger in. When it puts the foot back down the case closes over it and the foot becomes solid again. We don't see this in the show but it's a possibility.

The thing that really gets me is how those skinny arms and shoulders hold up those solid metal pistons. They must weigh hundreds of tons each, not counting the arms themselves, what are the shoulders made of that they can hold up all of that solid metal?
And the legs! How do those legs support the rest of the body? They don't look that strong to me....
Well, I'll leave Duo and Fau for next time. Cheerio!
Lynnet 03-12-2004 01:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
Big O as a TARDIS. It all makes sense now.

Pygmalion

Yay! My PBS has now pulled Dr. Who AND Red Dwarf...I miss cheesy Brit sci-fi

I'm putting in my vote for fuel cell...it doesn't have to run forever, just ~40 years. I thought it was an interesting point in Negotiation for the Dead that, because of this, they are pretty much human. When they run down, they run down...all people can do is treat the few symptoms they do understand.
Mr. Fortnight 03-12-2004 03:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. ?
So thats how she keeps her butt so firm! Its full of D batteries! "Roger I'm running low." "Sweet" "Louse..."

So that's why she's so bloody heavy?
Benjamin 03-12-2004 04:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Perhaps it is a self-rechargeing power cell that can continously recharge itself.
But what could feul such a battery, I don't know.

Yes they must just plug them selves into the wall and charge up Big Grin
Mr. Fortnight 03-13-2004 01:11 AM
Actually, Androids only use oil for lubrication.

They probably have some 0-Point energy system. Or something similar.

Either that, or they're actually alive... in a machine sort of way. DUNN DUNN DUNNNNNNN
Pygmalion 09-14-2004 09:57 AM
Looks like androids may be able to generate power from what they eat, if Ecobot II works out.

Whether all this will fit in a Dorothy-sized package is another question!

Pygmalion
Tony Waynewrong 09-14-2004 10:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
Looks like androids may be able to generate power from what they eat, if Ecobot II works out.

Whether all this will fit in a Dorothy-sized package is another question!

Pygmalion

In 15 years, minaturization will take care of that. The think is, would I kiss Dorothy on the lips? I mean, it will be filled with flies and other gunk. Oh well, I guess I would be come a fly eater, if that's what it takes to be with Dorothy. Smile

Good find, Auntie Pyg. Kudos!!!
Dork 09-14-2004 04:35 PM
Tony, there are times when you go above and beyond (way way beyond, like 17 lightyears out. . . in another universe just left of our own) the call of fanboy duty.
madclarinet 09-14-2004 05:01 PM
How about a super-efficient heat engine. It works on thermodymanic (transfer of heat). Even now a basic stirling engine is very efficient.

Once miniturised and using lots of them in theory a android could only need a 'jump start' and then could run themselves indefinatly as they don't need much of a heat difference to work and easily provide enough to power themselves and any android.

Spare energy could be sent to a storage battery for use later and maybe and emergency 'restart battery'.

When Roger destroyed the power regulator on Dorothy 1 - did you notice the liquid that erupted looked very much like lava? If Dorothy is based on the same sort of technology then would she have a similar (smaller) power source based on the same technology - she was used as a power regulator by Beck so there should be some similarities.
Lupin IV 09-14-2004 09:54 PM
I'd think a superior being such as herself wouldn't need batteries or anything. maybe she has a little generator inside her?

mmm, those answers aren't really funny are they? Big Grin
Prons 09-14-2004 10:04 PM
I was about to say they run on Love, but I bet some one said that already.
Hobodoken 09-15-2004 05:28 PM
Love?
Pfft.
More like on sexy.
At least for Dorothy.
I'm going to go with the Futurama approach Big Ear's powersource, why else would he never leave the bar? He needs to always be near alcohol.
The rest, such as O'Riely, the dead Senator, and the other targets, I'm going to guess Man-Love.
R-D also ran on sexy.
Tony Waynewrong 09-15-2004 06:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
Tony, there are times when you go above and beyond (way way beyond, like 17 lightyears out. . . in another universe just left of our own) the call of fanboy duty.

** bows **

Anything for:
1. Dorothy (top priority)
2. The Wayneright Sister (high priority)
3. Fangirls (along with most family members)
4. Best Buds
5. PCF members
6. Co-workers
7. Strangers [/off topic]

I just hope Dorothy doesn't stink like a garbage bin. That may make dating her very difficult (but not impossible). Smile
BigPrime 09-16-2004 07:06 PM
I doubt Dorothy "stinks like a garbage bin". I can't imagine Norman inviting her into the Mansion if she did (nor Roger allowing her to stay if by some stretch of the imagination he did).

I like madclarinet's idea of a super-efficient heat engine.
AndroidZeroX 09-21-2004 01:49 PM
Im gonna just through this out there... my theory is she runs on solar energy, She does get enough of it to make her work, and that headband she wears has many uses, so whats to say it doesnt hold her solar power