[Fan Art] Retouching UPDATED: Paradigm Tourists. WARNING! Immature Content!

A Clockwork Tomato 11-17-2003 04:57 PM
One of the sad facts of life is that it takes a long, long time to learn to draw the human figure properly. But rejoice! We live in the age of electronics! Those of us who can't draw can doctor images!

My signature image is an example. Everyone wishes that Roger and Dorothy had kissed underwater. Even those of us who say, "No, that's stupid, they had too much work to do" really wish they'd done it. So I doctored an image from the appropriate scene to shove Dorothy MUCH closer to Roger.

Before:

After:

I used Corel PhotoPaint 7 for this, because it's what I've got. There may be better/cheaper tools out there -- does anyone know?

My favorite tool for this kind of work is usually called the "clone tool," which lets you move parts of the image in a well-controlled way. Masks and layers are also good.

Anyway, the trick is to think of different things you'd like to do, and then select ones that don't seem too technically difficult. Some compositions are very resistant to change, while others, like my avatar where I turned Mandy into Dorothy, are a total snap.

Have fun, and post your results here!
Tony Waynewrong 11-17-2003 05:00 PM
A Clockwork Tomato, you never cease to amaze me. Nice touch up. Really nice.
Mr. Peabody 11-17-2003 07:22 PM
Ah, Dorothy and computer imaging. Ain't technology wonderful? Anime Smile
Iron Maiden 11-18-2003 11:08 PM
Have any more?
A Clockwork Tomato 11-18-2003 11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IronMaiden720
Have any more?

Not really. We just got a video capture card (a Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe), which only cost about $50 and came with video editing software and stuff. Wild. But we've only had it for a week and have hardly captured any footage yet, let alone found time to do weird stuff to it.

Sometimes this sort of thing can be slapped together really quickly, if the original composition lends itself to being altered. It's best to have several ideas in mind and pick one that looks easy, unless you're really jazzed about one that's going to take a lot longer.

The trick is to figure out which of the tools in your photo package or bitmap editor make it practical to shift the scene around. This varies from program to program.
A Clockwork Tomato 11-21-2003 09:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IronMaiden720
Have any more?

You asked for it....

Tony Waynewrong 11-21-2003 09:16 PM
Tomato, that is just as bad as some of the Innuendos that we have been posting. For shame.

** Waiting until everybody walks away. **

Great stuff. Dirty, foul, tasteless, but great. I am one of your underground fans. Smile
Tifaria 11-21-2003 09:48 PM
Heehee, that is PRICELESS. It's Roger's expression that really makes the picture here. Tongue
Lady Tesser 11-21-2003 09:51 PM
Heh-heh. That's great, Clockwork Tomato. Those really work. ^_^
A Clockwork Tomato 12-02-2003 07:19 PM
Another example.

Dorothy and Pero 12-02-2003 07:32 PM
That's...scary Big Grin But in a good way!!
I could never imagine Dorothy wearing that outfitLaughing
A Clockwork Tomato 12-02-2003 07:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dorothy and Pero
That's...scary Big Grin But in a good way!!
I could never imagine Dorothy wearing that outfitLaughing

Dorothy has taste!

Angel, on the other hand, ignores taste and even attractiveness and dresses to be provocative, pure and simple.

That's the only reason anyone would wear that godawful jump suit, which made her look like a side of beef with dotted lines marking the different cuts. From Angel's point of view, having the men mentally catalog her *ahem* cuts of meat is a good thing.
Mike 12-02-2003 07:40 PM
That's really good! For a second I was wondering what you changed about the picture!

Then I smacked myself on the forehead.
Tony Waynewrong 12-02-2003 07:46 PM
Hey, Dorothy looks good in any outfit. Grrr....

ACT, I toast your abilities and talents... Smile
Dorothy and Pero 12-02-2003 07:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato

Dorothy has taste!

Angel, on the other hand, ignores taste and even attractiveness and dresses to be provocative, pure and simple.

That's the only reason anyone would wear that godawful jump suit, which made her look like a side of beef with dotted lines marking the different cuts. From Angel's point of view, having the men mentally catalog her *ahem* cuts of meat is a good thing.

LOLLaughing
Lady Tesser 12-02-2003 08:32 PM
GO DOROTHY! Ungh! Watch out, Roger and Norman - Dorothy Wayneright PI and her maid Angel are on the case!

I LOVE it!
Mega Dominus 12-02-2003 08:41 PM
LOL, I almost tipped over my chair, ACT! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Tifaria 12-02-2003 09:42 PM
Angel looks cute in Dorothy's dress! I dunno about Dorothy in that pink, though. She looks too innocent to pull it off. Pleased
Green_Bird 12-03-2003 09:31 PM
The Angel and Dorothy one made me laugh Laughing ...You did a good job there Clockwork Tomato Big Grin ...
A Clockwork Tomato 12-03-2003 10:42 PM

No comment.