[Fan Art] Retouching UPDATED: Paradigm Tourists. WARNING! Immature Content!

Wingnut 12-13-2003 09:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
Here's another Roger and Angel one. (Hope Dorothy doesn't find out!)
Unless you put Roger's arm up around her as well, Dorothy is likely to chalk this up to Angel's one-sided flirting with Roger.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-13-2003 11:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Unless you put Roger's arm up around her as well, Dorothy is likely to chalk this up to Angel's one-sided flirting with Roger.


Yeah, but that's Roger all over, isn't it? I mean, how slow off the mark can a guy be? He's like a car that has to be push-started for three miles before anything happens.
Wingnut 12-13-2003 11:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Unless you put Roger's arm up around her as well, Dorothy is likely to chalk this up to Angel's one-sided flirting with Roger.


Yeah, but that's Roger all over, isn't it? I mean, how slow off the mark can a guy be? He's like a car that has to be push-started for three miles before anything happens.
Or the car that goes from 0-60 in a weekend? Tongue

And yes, Lady T., you did say that. And as we all know; jobs like this should be left to the professionals. That is the main reason why I haven't jumped on this 'retouching' bandwagon myself. I am not a professional at doing such things.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-15-2003 12:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
And yes, Lady T., you did say that. And as we all know; jobs like this should be left to the professionals. That is the main reason why I haven't jumped on this 'retouching' bandwagon myself. I am not a professional at doing such things.


God forbid that we should limit this game to people who are already good at it!

No, no, everybody should jump on the bandwagon. Sure, it takes practice, and people who've had more practice have an edge, but isn't that true of everything? So what?

This is the sort of thing where anybody can get acceptably good with only a moderate amount of practice -- much less than with drawing, which requires true dedication.

(Anyway, if I'm so good, Why does Angel have a shadow in that picture in the underground, while the corpse doesn't? He looks like he's floating two feet off the ground!)

One thing I've learned in this thread is that you can always go back and touch up your pictures. I've redone about half of them since they were posted the first time. Beck in Big B is now just as sharp in my version as in Zola's, for instance, because I couldn't resist picking up the gauntlet.

(Not that she actually did anything so unladylike as throwing down the gauntlet in the first place, but I often can't resist even a faintly implied challenge. I'm writing a Season 3 because one person too many said, "Season 3? It can't be done!" and they weren't looking even in my direction when they said it.)

So, anyway, I hereby encourage everyone to post away! Don't be afraid to give it your worst shot!

I also encourage everyone who responds to postings to limit themselves to enthusiastic praise unless the poster specifically asks for criticism, because some people want it, and others don't. Enthusiastic praise seems to go over with everybody, though. (This is being done already, pretty much -- how did these forums become such a haven of niceness in a nasty world? -- but I thought I'd insert an unnecessary reminder here.)

I'm turning over a couple of ideas in my mind about this sort of thread. There are people who love the technical talk and are delighted to have every aspect of their work discussed critically, from concept to the use of the smallest tool. Others become unhappy when the same issues are raised. Maybe there ought to be a technical thread with open season on criticism, as a learning forum, and another thread where such dsicussion is banned. I dunno.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-16-2003 05:13 PM
Tony Waynewrong 12-16-2003 05:20 PM
Watch it, Roger. She has an knack for giving incredible hickeys. Smile

Nice one, ACT.
Dorothy and Pero 12-16-2003 09:38 PM
Aww, so cute Big Grin
A Clockwork Tomato 12-16-2003 10:33 PM
Let's try a couple more, rearranged from Act 21:





IamRogerSmith 12-17-2003 02:21 AM
Laziest batch of manips ever:
IamRogerSmith 12-17-2003 02:33 AM
Had fun manipulating image saturation with this one to get it to match, look out for fighting with sexy results:
IamRogerSmith 12-17-2003 02:45 AM
And finally my favorite:

Schwarwald is consumed by his love of reading:
Wingnut 12-17-2003 06:38 AM
Amazing what insomnia can cause some people to create.
ACT, what is different about the Dastun/Angel pic?
A Clockwork Tomato 12-17-2003 09:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Amazing what insomnia can cause some people to create.
ACT, what is different about the Dastun/Angel pic?


He's standing three feet closer to her than in the original, that's all.

I haven't found pairs of Dastun/Angel shots that I can make hotter than this, not yet. Act 21 is probably the wrong source for footage for this. All the scenes are so dark, they're hard to manipulate. And Dastun and Angel aren't actually on screen in enough different poses to give a good selection. But it's the only episode where Angel and Dastun have a moment together, so I gave it a try anyway. (Next time I'll do an IamRogerSmith and take Angel and Dastun from two different episodes and slap them together, probably not in a romantic scene -- too little appropriate footage -- but in a nice hot nose-to-nose argument. Or maybe aiming their guns at each other. Ah, love!)

This is also a big problem with Roger and Dorothy, who wear black in dimly lit scenes, and merge with the shadows a lot. Which makes it difficult to cut out the characters and move them around. If I could draw accurate character outlines, I wouldn't be messing around with retouching!

At some point I'll capture the entire series to disk on my PC. It's all on disk on my TiVo, but I can't access the shows directly (not without hacking the TiVo more than I care to).
IamRogerSmith 12-17-2003 01:16 PM
ACT - just saturate/desaturate the color and manipulate the brightness to get it to match (or at least closer).
The Big Ian 12-17-2003 02:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IamRogerSmith
And finally my favorite:

Schwarwald is consumed by his love of reading:


Reading in the broiler/sun/oven/flamethrower convention = BAD IDEA

Big Grin
A Clockwork Tomato 12-19-2003 09:27 AM
Lady Tesser 12-19-2003 03:30 PM
I LOVE that one, Uncle Tomato!

I can understand how hard it is to make Angel-Dastun pics. He's never in a position that lends itself to 'romantic' moments. I see why you went with the situation you did!

Angel: But, Daniel -
Dastun: Angel, I got a flaming Megadeus on my hands.
Angel: No, that's *me* in your hands!
Dastun: Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Advinius 12-19-2003 03:42 PM
So, ACT... is that new sig pic possibly... Dorothy resorting to mind control to keep Roger "safe" from Angel? Shocked Big Grin
angelcakes 12-19-2003 05:30 PM
This one was incredible easy

A Clockwork Tomato 12-19-2003 08:57 PM
Unibasu graciously gave me permission to plagiarize her work, though she insists that ol' Crowboy isn't her type: