Moving AGAIN...

Krang 11-13-2003 01:54 AM
Looks like our site really was suspended on Tuesday (even though it's still accessible for some reason...), so Paradigm City is going to have to move yet again. If you can't access the site in the next few days, you'll know why. In the meantime, if anyone knows of any good hosts, please let me know.
Sixfortyfive 11-13-2003 01:58 AM
Good lord...

Well, my host's cheap ($5 per month), but it's only 5 GB of bandwidth with an additional $5 fee for every GB over per month.

This sucks.
Krang 11-13-2003 02:12 AM
Thanks, but Paradigm City needs about 25GB of bandwidth a month. Here's the full requirements of what we need in case anyone knows of any other hosts:

200MB disk space
25GB bandwidth/month
POP3 email accounts (at least 3) and email forwarders
MySQL databases (at least 2)
FTP and SSH access
Software: PHP, Apache, CPanel (preferred, but Ensim is ok also), phpMyAdmin, and Squirrelmail
Linux/Unix-based server
Good support
Reliable and fast server
A host that doesn't constantly suspend people Tongue

I think that's all... If not, I'll edit my post and add it.
Kittie heavenly6 11-13-2003 04:34 AM
I use Hostonce.com, here's what they offer:

Free Domain Name - Never Pay Registration fees again!

Use a Domain You Have Already Registered - All International domains Accepted!

Microsoft .NET Hosting with full support for ASP, ASP.NET using either C#, J# or VB.NET, PERL, PHP and ODBC

500MB Windows Webspace for your Domain

25GB Monthly Data Transfer

Unlimited POP3 Email Accounts and Autoresponders

Free HostOnce.com Control Panel 6.0 with Advanced Problem Handling

Free HostOnce.com WebMail Service

Create Subdomains from your Control Panel

Connections to top brand Internet backbones

Industrial strength multi-processor servers

No forced banner ads or pop-up boxes

Free Frontpage 2002 Server Extensions

Free MySQL Server Database connectivity

MS SQL Server 2000 Database connectivity (optional extra)**

SSL Secure Server functionality (optional extra)**

Free Statistics and Raw visitor Log Files for your website

E-mail & Professional Helpdesk Support 24 hours, 7 days per week

No set-up Fee

More Details:

500MB Disk Space
Every account has 500MB of disk space on our Internet servers that your accounts may consume.

25GB Monthly Data Transfer
Every account has a monthly bandwidth allowance of 25GB

Unlimited POP3 Mailboxes
You can create an unlimited number of POP3 mailboxes within your account.

Unlimited Autoresponders
Autoresponders reply to incoming email instantly and automatically. You can set up an unlimited number of autoresponders.

Unlimited Email Addresses
Configure as many email addresses at each of your domain names as required. Mail to any address can be sent either to a POP3 mailbox which you create or forwarded to an existing email address elsewhere. Mail sent to an address for which you have not configured a specific destination can be sent to a default location.

New HostOnce.com Control Panel 6.0
Manage all aspects of your account via an easy to use online control panel, configure email and FTP accounts, administer databases and more.

Free HostOnce.com WebMail Service
Pick up your Email from any computer, anywhere in the world using any internet browser.

Create Sub Domains on your Account
You may create sub domains of your original domain name on your account i.e anything.yourdomain.com Each account comes with the option to create 2 free sub domains. Extra sub domains may be purchased via the upgrades page.

Installed Components
We have the standard mailing components CDONTS & CDOSYS available for use, Blat is also available. We also support ABC Upload. Active State Perl, PHP and ASP.NET is available on all servers.

ODBC Database support
Your website can use any ODBC compliant database such as Microsoft Access. ODBC data sources can be installed instantly on your control panel.

Server Side Includes (SSI)
Server Side Includes enable the addition of dynamic elements to HTML web pages. Automatically insert dates, file information and other HTML documents.

New SSL Secure Server functionality (optional extra)**
You can install SSL on your account which allow secure transactions between your website and your customers..

MySQL Server Database connectivity FREE
MySQL is the world's most popular open source database, recognized for its speed and reliability. Limited to 1 Database per account.

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases (optional extra)**
You can create MSSQL Server databases on your account and have full control of them via the Microsoft Enterprise Manager or ODBC. MSSQL Server is the most powerful database available for the web today and is the solution used by many Corporate and Financial institutions worldwide.

Password Protected Directories FREE
Restrict access to certain areas of web sites, configure as many usernames and passwords as required. Applications include sites where membership is required to view certain content or the creation of an extranet. Custom error pages can be setup for these protected directories also via your control panel.

Technical support and customer service
HostOnce.com offers customer support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We never close, and are always an email away if you need assistance.

Online Knowledge Base
A wealth of information, instructions and tutorials are available at any time from the online support centre. Context sensitive help is available at any time from within the control panel.

*Pricing
The Microsoft .NET Hosting Plan is only available for a one fixed annual fee due to our Wholesale Prices, FREE Domain Name, FREE Setup & Commitment to Charity. Please allow for slight fluctuations in foreign currency exchanges.

Pricing in US Dollars
Annually US $83.40
Monthly Equivalent US $6.95

Please allow for slight fluctuations in foreign currency exchanges.

Value Added Tax does not apply.

Australian customers please add 10% GST.

To view our terms and conditions, Click Here!

To order your HostOnce.com account, Click Here!

Currently there are No Setup Fees! on our Hosting Plans.

Price Freeze Guarantee
HostOnce.com guarantees for as long as you are a continuous client, in good financial standing, and you keep renewing your contract for web hosting service, we guarantee that you will be locked into paying today's web hosting prices forever. If your web hosting package gets upgraded with new features, we will add these additional new services to your account for free while keeping your low price in tact. This guarantee applies to all HostOnce.com web hosting accounts.

**The following are optional extras:

Pricing in US Dollars Per Year
Domain alias US $16.00
Additional Sub.Domain US $5.00
SSL Secure Server US $20.00
MS SQL Server Database US $80.00

Please allow for slight fluctuations in foreign currency exchanges.

Value Added Tax does not apply.

I haven't had many problems with them before, Once I had a Crash but that was about it.
R and D 11-13-2003 04:36 AM
damn krang, why do they keep suspending u guys? do u take up too much of their hard drive or somethin? Confused
Krang 11-13-2003 05:08 AM
Thanks, GK, I'll check out that host.

quote:
Originally posted by R and D
damn krang, why do they keep suspending u guys? do u take up too much of their hard drive or somethin? Confused

We're using up too many server resources (HR specifically said "excessive Apache usage"), meaning that this site is supposedly slowing down the server. Too bad I don't have money for a dedicated server... Frown
Penny Century 11-13-2003 09:09 AM
Many hosts get huffy when it comes to simultaneous connections. (Which leads to the question of why all that bandwidth is such a good deal if they're not actually going to push it, but that's a tale for another time.) The PC board got extremely heavy usage for a while there, and that may have been what tripped their wires.

I've had great good luck with Always Web Hosting in that regard. They're not the cheapest host out there, but their servers are insanely fast and customer service is outstanding. The Platinum plan ($26.95/month) gets you 30 gig of transfer, 2 gig of storage, RedHat Linux servers, 24/7 FTP, SSL and programming support, unlimited e-mail and forwarding, unlimited MySQL databases, and (important) unlimited hits.

AWH does not require a full year or half-year signup -- in fact, I don't think it's even an option -- so you might try it out for a month and see if it's a good fit. Ask for Ronnie.
Zola 11-13-2003 10:10 AM
Can those of us who are solvent get together and raise enough money for a year's worth? I can kick a month and maybe two if I do well in tips this weekend.

Krang, talk to them, if they need money up front I can cover it.
YZEtc 11-13-2003 10:17 AM
I'm here to help out if I can, too.
Zola 11-13-2003 10:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by YZEtc
I'm here to help out if I can, too.

Tell you guys what. For those who don't have paypal and want to kick in even a few dollars, PM me for my addy privately and I will give Krang whatever you send me.
Penny Century 11-13-2003 10:33 AM
The site has PayPal, right? I can kick something in.

ETA: If Krang goes with Always Web Hosting, he'll need only the $26.95 for the first month. AWH only does month-to-month hosting. The owners seem to have a pretty jaundiced view of long-term contracts; many of their clients are "refugees" from previous bad hosting situations. They're also pretty confident in their "once you try us, you won't go back" philosophy, and I must say it's worked for me.
Zola 11-13-2003 10:59 AM
Paypal donations here:

http://www.paradigm-city.com/donate.php

If you want to send a few bucks cash, PM me for my mailing address and I will send it along as soon as I have it.
evanASF27 11-13-2003 11:16 AM
I would like to help..I don't think I can really Frown I'm rootin for y'all though. Krang, good luck Smile
(I suppose we also got suspended cos of those threads in the speakeasy?)

*sigh*
...and why are we still up O.o;;; ...err...that ain't a bad thing ^^;;; I just hope we can find a temporary server while we are transfering <_< ...... >_>......

GO TO THE NEO SPEAKEASY FOR THE DOWNTIME FOLKS Big Grin
FREE BEER, FREE SPAM, and most importantly No bandwidth problems Embarrassed Sweatdrop

*points to "homepage" button on bottom of post and in profile*

Cool Pleased THE NEO-SPEAKEASY WILL HELP SUPPORT PARADIGM DURING THE MOVE Pleased Cool

http://speakeasy.hyperboards.com/index.cgi
Penny Century 11-13-2003 11:16 AM
Meanwhile, I also can recommend the WebHostingTalk message board as a great resource not only for finding a host, but for checking out its claims. The board is not sponsored by or affiliated with any host, and actual clients (or former clients!) are always ready with the straight dope on ISPs. You can use the Search function to find any pertinent posts and threads on the ISPs you want to investigate.
A Clockwork Tomato 11-13-2003 12:22 PM
Here's a quick fix you can do in the comfort of your own home.

Instead of going to "http://www.paradigm-city.com," try

http://69.59.212.89:81

This takes you to paradigm-city via the caching proxy server on my DSL line.

Why does this help? If data is in its cache and isn't "stale," www.paradigm-city.com is not accessed. You get the cached data. Krang doesn't have to pay for requests that don't reach his ISP.

Peculiarities:

1. Some things, not many, may be slightly out of date, probably by no more than 60 seconds.

2. Really heavy usage might cause slow response over my 640 Kb/s DSL line.

3. You'll have to log in again, I think.

If things get weird, PLEASE send me a PM and then go back to using paradigm-city.com directly.

Don't bug Krang about this because it has nothing to do with him. Any problems with using this alternate URL are strictly my fault.

(Though if this works really well, Krang may want to use this as the official front end to paradigm-city.)
dawnstrider 11-14-2003 11:24 AM
I've been doing a little digging on my spare time (or what ever passes as such now a days Sweatdrop ), and after weeding out a few, others, I came across Flexihosting.net; I'm not sure how much that will help, but this week has been rather slow in terms of college for me, so I'll keep looking as much as I can Smile . I would love to help out with cash, but after last week I'm currently impoverished Frown . Good luck, and I'll keep a list of your requirements at hand.
Krang 11-14-2003 06:55 PM
Sorry for not being here yesterday, Comcast messed up my IP address and I had no internet access. I posted a request at SitePointForums and I found a new host that we can hopefully stay with, so I'll be working on moving the site there soon (if you get errors when trying to visit the site or forums, that's why). Thanks to everyone who offered hosting suggestions, to everyone who donated, to A Clockwork Tomato for setting up the proxy server, and to Evan for offering a place for people to go when the site is down.

In the meantime, I set up a subdomain so that you can use ACT's proxy server to help reduce server load until the site is moved: http://proxy.paradigm-city.com:81/