Give me a kiss!

Executor 11-11-2003 02:51 AM
Okay, so Big O is underwater and Dorothy has just opened the air tank to revive Roger.

Roger: Blargh! Cough cough! Couldn't you have used a gentler method? Er, like mouth-to-mouth?

Dorothy: You're such a louse, Roger Smith.

Now we get a brief pause. Roger's been awake for a few seconds, and the fact that Dorothy's really back sets in. He gets a look on his face that subtly says "Damn, I missed her." They kiss without another word.

Could it be any more natural? Would it not have made things better? I could have tolerated that nonsensical ending much more easily if the writers had given us the least bit of payoff on any damned thing we cared about. Instead we get no kiss, no resolution to the love situation, and no answers about anything. Or at least no answers that make sense.

Do the writers of Big O have some pathological fear of, you know, actually resolving a plot thread? Bah!
R.Dorothy Waynewright 11-11-2003 05:22 AM
I agree! At least with the kissing part....that's all I've wanted to see since who knows how long ago in the first season, and they still deny me! I won't lie - one of the main reasons I watch Big O is because of the Roger/Dorothy romance (of sorts) and it was a kick in the butt that we didn't get any sort of resolution with that.

We didn't get much resolution with anything, to be honest, and I was really feeling the lack. I'm hoping its that way so they can leave it open ended and room for a Season 3, which I desperately want.
Pygmalion 11-11-2003 06:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Executor
Now we get a brief pause. Roger's been awake for a few seconds, and the fact that Dorothy's really back sets in. He gets a look on his face that subtly says "Damn, I missed her." They kiss without another word.

Could it be any more natural? Would it not have made things better? I could have tolerated that nonsensical ending much more easily if the writers had given us the least bit of payoff on any damned thing we cared about. Instead we get no kiss, no resolution to the love situation, and no answers about anything. Or at least no answers that make sense.

I don't think it's peculiar to Big O. It seems to be an anime/manga thing. The characters will do almost anything (and I mean anything!), but they don't kiss.

No doubt if Roger & Dorothy had kissed, there'd be otaku up in arms swearing that the show wasn't really anime.

Pygmalion
R Trusedale 11-11-2003 07:53 AM
Its true that they don't kiss, but its equally true that Roger wishes that Dorothy *had* kissed him. That is the clearest admission we are going to get from Roger that he wants a closer, adult relationship with Dorothy. Dorothy of course, has hinted about her feelings for Roger all through the series. With both parties now showing the green light, so to speak, it truly is a shame that the world had to end soon after this.

After the rewrite, will Roger and Dorothy remember all they meant to each other? Or will they just feel a strange attraction, without knowing the reason why? Did this happen to them in the past rewrites as well?

Angel triggers Big Venus and the rewrite, preventing the certain death of Roger at the hands of Alex's Big Fau. But then she continues on and erases everything, including Big O, Roger and Dorothy. It doesn't seem like love is the motivation here. Perhaps Angel is a jealous god? Destroying the world is one way to make sure Roger and Dorothy don't have the chance to get any closer. At least, not in this lifetime.
assemblyline 11-11-2003 08:05 AM
"With both parties now showing the green light, so to speak, it truly is a shame that the world had to end soon after this."

I am betting that if you asked Roger in the begining of the series when he would consider Dorothy someone he could fall in love with, he would probably reply with "When the world ends" Tongue
angelcakes 11-11-2003 02:31 PM
During that whole sequence I was like, "It took him that long to hit on her!"

Unfortunatley it was the first and the last time he would do so. Or at least the first and last time we saw/heard it. Big Grin
Penny Century 11-11-2003 02:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes

I think the fact that he did at all was telling in the extreme. For the Roger Smith of Act 1 who physically recoiled from a beautiful girl after learning she wasn't "real" to admit in Act 26, in even a roundabout way, that he'd welcome intimate contact with that same girl is a bigger leap for the character than it may be for the audience.
Preventer Wind 11-11-2003 03:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Penny Century
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes

I think the fact that he did at all was telling in the extreme. For the Roger Smith of Act 1 who physically recoiled from a beautiful girl after learning she wasn't "real" to admit in Act 26, in even a roundabout way, that he'd welcome intimate contact with that same girl is a bigger leap for the character than it may be for the audience.

thats probably so Penn, it took him enough courage to say somethin like that after realizing that he did love her after he unintentionally wasnt intimate with angel when he had the chance.

lol there goes the suave, rich pimpish bachelor attitude out the window.
Zola 11-11-2003 04:37 PM
I would have loved that too--just put your arms around her, Roger you IDIOT! Yes, we understand that the situation was bleak and you had to hurry up to save the world.

If we get a season 3, though, if the kiss actually happens, it will be that much more satisfying.

Did anyone here watch Babylon 5? Even after Sheridan and Delenn were a given and everyone knew it, every time they almost kissed for weeks they got interrupted by something or someone! When they finally did kiss, everyone in my house was cheering, LOL! It was more satisfying than if they had kissed right away, so there is something to be said for keeping that UST (unresolved sexual tension) going. Smile
Gummibear 11-11-2003 04:46 PM
I would have loved a kiss! It would have been perfect. But in Japan kissing is a very intimate thing. I mean sex whatever, nudity they don't care but kissing is the exchanging of saliva so it makes it a very intimate moment to share. I would have wanted Dorothy and Roger to kiss but then again Japanese view things differently. I'm sure when Dorothy and Roger kiss it's going to be this whole big elaborate scene signifing the importance of the moment like in most anime. Big Grin
Rouge 11-11-2003 05:15 PM
Its funny because in the Japanese version he rambles on and on in Japanese and say's in English "Mouth to mouth"

I almost cracked up when I heard this, and hearing it in english was even more hilarious.

Dorothy's respond if I can recall she said something about "Her air tank capacity" I don't really think she got the picture that he was hiting on her. Then again there's the calling him "a louse" part ^_^

I am glad Roger said that, its the most intimate you see him going towards a woman and an android in the whole series.

Thats why a season 3 is necessary, Dorothy's and Roger's relationship should be resolved.
Mr. ? 11-11-2003 05:17 PM
They should have just stared making out until Big Venus erased the ocean. Powerful , moving, deep now that would have been good. Thats how you get whiped of the face of the planet....seriously that would have been a good ending...
Gummibear 11-11-2003 06:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rouge
Its funny because in the Japanese version he rambles on and on in Japanese and say's in English "Mouth to mouth"

I almost cracked up when I heard this, and hearing it in english was even more hilarious.

Dorothy's respond if I can recall she said something about "Her air tank capacity" I don't really think she got the picture that he was hiting on her. Then again there's the calling him "a louse" part ^_^

I am glad Roger said that, its the most intimate you see him going towards a woman and an android in the whole series.

Thats why a season 3 is necessary, Dorothy's and Roger's relationship should be resolved.

Yes I agree there has to be a resolution for it to feel truly ended. I mean the animators have to get crackin' on season three and I mean now! Wink
Advinius 11-11-2003 07:08 PM
ummm... did anyone think of the whole "if we were to lose our memories, do you think we'd fall in love?" bit from Dorothy? I didnt until just now... but if they were reset without memories, that could be the way they are pointed...
assemblyline 11-11-2003 08:03 PM
You are right about the Season 3 arguements. I wouldn't feel as warm to a prequel for those reasons. Aside from the obvious ability for a prequel to answer a lot of questions about the event and tomato experiments, the main characters would lose every bit of character development that they earned throughout the series. Not only would that be hard for the writers, but I think that the development is, at least in my theory of how Paradigm works, responsible for the way the end of paradigm turned out.
Lady Tesser 11-11-2003 08:17 PM
Mr. ? - I like how you think. If you're gonna get erased, go out doing a good memory!

Sadly, I think he was being mind-on-the-moment and not reaching out. However, I still want to believe this happened -
    Zola 11-11-2003 08:19 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lady Tesser
    However, I still want to believe this happened -

I get butterflies in my stomach every time I see this pic...sigh...
    Wingnut 11-11-2003 08:22 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Zola
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lady Tesser
    However, I still want to believe this happened -

I get butterflies in my stomach every time I see this pic...sigh...
    Well not butterflies, but a warm feeling deep insede.
    Pygmalion 11-11-2003 08:27 PM
    I hate to splash cold water on all this overheated fan-tasy, but as someone who has actually done mouth-to-mouth, let me tell you
    [REALITY]
    - It's exhausting. Not quite as bad as doing the chest compressions, though.
    - And usually the person you are doing it to is dead (or nearly dead)
    - And if everything works great and you "save the code" he's very likely to vomit. Which you have to make sure is cleared out of his airway.
    [/REALITY]

What Dorothy really needed was a face mask to make a good seal.
    Pygmalion
    A Clockwork Tomato 11-11-2003 09:11 PM
    "If you want any air, you'd better damn well kiss me, you louse."